• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

This game is amazing so far, multiple characters rock, level design is great 'nuff said.

****Quick question: If the Golden Tanooki block appears in any of the levels, does my save file get penalized right away or is that just if I actually use it? Cuz I already have one and I tried to exit out of my file to get rid of it but the autosave kept it in. :/ ****

Anyways, what on earth is going on with Best Buy and GameStop today? I preordered both 3DW and LBW at Best Buy (first time doing a pre-order with them) and was promised I'd have them both today. I'm absolutely fed up and 100% done with GameStop for good now. Last straw with those idiots was both GS stores here not knowing or having a single clue about the Wind Waker Ganon bonus set and then trying to sell me a used copy of the game as usual.

So a few hours ago I go to Best Buy to pick up my games at the preorder desk, lady quickly looks at my pre-order receipt, says I'm good to go and goes to get my games. Taking forever, they're not behind the pre-order desk area anywhere. She literally has to call some kid to go all the way back to the retail shelves just to pick out my games which should already have been sitting behind the counter waiting for me. So we're sitting there literally for at least ten minutes waiting for the kid to come back.

At this point it's dragging on and I'm tired of making friendly chit chat while we wait so I tell her it's not a huge deal but unfortunately I have to leave soon so I'm just going to go pick up my games off the shelf myself (since he can't find them apparently). I go back to the Nintendo section and 3DW and LBW aren't even stocked on the game shelves anywhere! Really? Two of the most AAA first party games not stocked on their launch day as if they were just random niche titles. Just the LBW XL bundle was out. At this point I'm thinking they don't even have the games in at all yet, so out of desperation I called GameStop. "Just curious if you guys have Mario 3D World and the new Zelda in?" Dude rep; "Uh no, sorry, we don't have that shipment yet, you might wanna try again later today." Wow.

So I walk back to the pre-order counter and by this time they'd finally found my games sitting in one of the stock rooms in back, so I was finally good to go. The lady was very friendly and apologetic and I know customer service bites so of course I just thanked her, told her no problem and just brushed it off.

What worries me though is people not being able to buy both these games right away in such key locations on such an urgent sales day. And the Wii U demo station there has been broken for at least 6-7months, a rep told me they've been calling NOA for months asking to send a repair tech to fix it with no results so there's blame to go around.

My takeaway after this is that Nintendo REALLY needs to get off their butts, get their head in the game with retailers and start cracking some skulls and making some phone calls. Out of curiosity I walked back to the game section after to check out some of the PS4 and XB1 stuff really quick before I left and I saw a rep starting to stock some copies of 3DW and LBW, so apparently my incident at the customer service desk was the one thing that alerted them to the fact that "Oh, hey that's right, we have a new Mario and Zelda game to sell today!" And this is at 12:30pm in the afternoon so who knows how long it would have taken otherwise.
wow. thats a horror story right there.
anyone working at retail has anecdotal evidence if this has been selling, like at all?

My takeaway after this is that Nintendo REALLY needs to get off their butts, get their head in the game with retailers and start cracking some skulls and making some phone calls. Out of curiosity I walked back to the game section after to check out some of the PS4 and XB1 stuff really quick before I left and I saw a rep starting to stock some copies of 3DW and LBW, so apparently my incident at the customer service desk was the one thing that alerted them to the fact that "Oh, hey that's right, we have a new Mario and Zelda game to sell today!" And this is at 12:30pm in the afternoon so who knows how long it would have taken otherwise.

That Nintendo difference

Seriously though, when it comes to Nintendo games the best place it seems to get any hassle free is online... and even that has issues

You'd think it would be easy to make room on the shelves and stock the damn game like every other media these retailers sell.

Next Gen Conspiracy?

roknin

LOOOOOL Youtube content match blocked my vid... and part of my Super Metroid LP, too.

Ooooookie dokie

Pffft, I did that level with FIVE (5) Fire Peaches.

HOT

I had five right after that (didn't know I was going to get them!)... SO HAWT

Then I lost one near the end... Broke my heart T_T

Just finished World 2 100%. W1 I did with Mario and W2 with Toad. Will probably do Luigi for 3 and Peach for 4 and then call it a day at the 1/2
1/3
way point.

Hoodbury

wow. thats a horror story right there.
anyone working at retail has anecdotal evidence if this has been selling, like at all?

Ya, weird things going on at retailers in regards to Nintendo games. You can't find CoD Ghosts anywhere either for the Wii U.

I wonder if this has any bearings on why the Mario miiverse number is only at 7500 right now. Most first party games in the past were up to 20k pretty fast on launch day I thought.

Beat up through World 6. Better than 3D Land so far, but only just. Still held back by 3D Land's gimped controls and moveset. There have been many a time where I attempted to Triple Jump to glory and, well, fuck. Locking proper frontal attacks to powerups was lame in 3D Land and lame here. Music is okay, nothing mind blowing. Double Cherry and the Potted Piranha Plant are hilarious in multiplayer. Really like they brought back Sunshine's Spin Jump though, that was a pleasant surprise.

Overall so far, it's fun, a nice side serving of 3D Mario but not exactly that which will fill my 3D Mario need. Still feels as shallow as 3D Land was. Here's to hoping EAD Tokyo wasn't lying when they said this isn't the future of the series.

lt519

Not to start a war here, but never understood pre-ordering games. Where I live I can walk into one of 20 retailers within 10 miles and pick up a copy of any game on launch day. Cancel your pre-order and go get it somewhere else, their loss. That being said I downloaded at midnight and didn't have one issue with the download and it was fairly speedy at ~30 minutes. (I did have problems with the Pokemon X/Y launch but that was adding funds was getting screwy so I pre-loaded money for LBW and SM3DW last night before midnight).

RGVNOE

Awesome shots everyone. Here's my contribution
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_C.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The little fairy people in this game are ADORABLE.

Just beat World 2. :-D

Spiderduff

This game is amazing so far, multiple characters rock, level design is great 'nuff said.......

For Best Buy, the best way to preorder with them is to do it online and choose store pick up. All DLC is emailed to you without any hassle and your order usually is seperated under the online orders and not jsut piled up with the preorder bunch. I do this and dont have any issues. Goint to pick up Zelda there in a few.

The only issue I had at Best Buy was the woman working Store Pickup pulled out the Zelda 3DS. Otherwise than that, no line, no crowds, no nuthin'. Able to beat World 1 before heading to work, but I didn't get every star and stamp like I wanted.

kodecraft

This game is amazing so far, multiple characters rock, level design is great 'nuff said.

****Quick question: If the Golden Tanooki block appears in any of the levels, does my save file get penalized right away or is that just if I actually use it? Cuz I already have one and I tried to exit out of my file to get rid of it but the autosave kept it in. :/ ****

Anyways, what on earth is going on with Best Buy and GameStop today? I preordered both 3DW and LBW at Best Buy (first time doing a pre-order with them) and was promised I'd have them both today. I'm absolutely fed up and 100% done with GameStop for good now. Last straw with those idiots was both GS stores here not knowing or having a single clue about the Wind Waker Ganon bonus set and then trying to sell me a used copy of the game as usual.

So a few hours ago I go to Best Buy to pick up my games at the preorder desk, lady quickly looks at my pre-order receipt, says I'm good to go and goes to get my games. Taking forever, they're not behind the pre-order desk area anywhere. She literally has to call some kid to go all the way back to the retail shelves just to pick out my games which should already have been sitting behind the counter waiting for me. So we're sitting there literally for at least ten minutes waiting for the kid to come back.

At this point it's dragging on and I'm tired of making friendly chit chat while we wait so I tell her it's not a huge deal but unfortunately I have to leave soon so I'm just going to go pick up my games off the shelf myself (since he can't find them apparently). I go back to the Nintendo section and 3DW and LBW aren't even stocked on the game shelves anywhere! Really? Two of the most AAA first party games not stocked on their launch day as if they were just random niche titles. Just the LBW XL bundle was out. At this point I'm thinking they don't even have the games in at all yet, so out of desperation I called GameStop. "Just curious if you guys have Mario 3D World and the new Zelda in?" Dude rep; "Uh no, sorry, we don't have that shipment yet, you might wanna try again later today." Wow.

So I walk back to the pre-order counter and by this time they'd finally found my games sitting in one of the stock rooms in back, so I was finally good to go. The lady was very friendly and apologetic and I know customer service bites so of course I just thanked her, told her no problem and just brushed it off.

What worries me though is people not being able to buy both these games right away in such key locations on such an urgent sales day. And the Wii U demo station there has been broken for at least 6-7months, a rep told me they've been calling NOA for months asking to send a repair tech to fix it with no results so there's blame to go around.

Wow.

El Odio

Banned
I encountered this same situation at my Best Buy when I went to go get it to surprisingly.

Raw64life

Funny to see so many people having the same problems as I did getting this game at retail. This is the first game I bought at retail in about 5 years and only because Amazon wasn't doing release day delivery. Hopefully it will be another 5 years before I have to do it again.

Neiteio

That peach <3.

I need official art of boomerang peach or as I like to call her, Koopie Koo lol.
I need official art of Tanooki Peach!

Wasn't a Peach fan before but now I'm a convert, lol. Think I'll finish all levels with her first before going back to the other characters.

Dat air dash with Peach's hover + Cat Suit combo.

Andrew.

Banned
I need official art of Tanooki Peach!

Wasn't a Peach fan before but now I'm a convert, lol. Think I'll finish all levels with her first before going back to the other characters.

Dat air dash with Peach's hover + Cat Suit combo.

You're startin to creep me out with this extreme sudden Peach love, bro.

Neiteio

!!!!!!!

Prodigy, spoilers! (Spoilers that everyone already knows, but still!)

Andrew. said:
You're startin to creep me out with this extreme sudden Peach love, bro.
Not that kind of love, I assure you!

Mik317

Best Game of the year? Best game of the year.

This game is beyond awesome so far. Stupid smiles all over this bitch yo.

It's funny how despite as much shit I give Nintendo...they have created 3 of my favorite games this year. Like Top 3 for sure.

this is why I play games

Neiteio

Best Game of the year? Best game of the year.

This game is beyond awesome so far. Stupid smiles all over this bitch yo.

It's funny how despite as much shit I give Nintendo...they have created 3 of my favorite games this year. Like Top 3 for sure.

this is why I play games
What are the other two games, out of curiosity? I love asking people what games strike their fancy.

Speaking of which, when I was picking up Mario and Zelda at a midnight launch for Xbone, I was chatting with the X-Bros and I was asking them what games they were eager to play. I kept saying, "Man, did you see the new Killer Instinct trailer? It looks siiiiiiiiiccck!" And they're all like, "What's Killer Instinct? I just want to play Call of Duty." :-(

Drago

Going to pick this up in an hour or so. Can't wait.

Hopefully I don't have problems finding a copy... hoping to just walk into a Walmart and buy it, no hassle.

***Again, anyone know if your save file gets penalized in any way if the Golden Tanooki Leaf block appears or only if you actually use it??***

For Best Buy, the best way to preorder with them is to do it online and choose store pick up. All DLC is emailed to you without any hassle and your order usually is seperated under the online orders and not jsut piled up with the preorder bunch. I do this and dont have any issues. Goint to pick up Zelda there in a few.

Thanks for the tip, will remember. My main concern though is the game not even being on shelves during the afternoon on release day, that's inexcusable. Like I said though, they were very friendly and apologized for it at least so I'll give them that. If they'd been snippy or unfriendly though I definitely would have been talking to a manager.

But something is clearly going on between Nintendo and retailers that needs to be fixed.

On the plus side I just got an e-mail from Best Buy with a free download code for Age of Oracles just for preordering LBW, I had no idea they had that as a pre-order bonus so that was a very cool surprise. That plus the staff's friendliness will definitely cause me to give them another chance at least.

Top Bottom