• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Neiteio

Twirl~

tumblr_mwopdxzGxA1rz64y6o1_1280.jpg
This screen. <3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
***Again, anyone know if your save file gets penalized in any way if the Golden Tanooki Leaf block appears or only if you actually use it??***
Whoa, what? I've been avoiding info on this game till today, so I haven't heard about any of this. What kind of penalty are we talking about?

Andrew.

Banned
This is more than likely going on my GOTY list along the sides of TLOU, Gunslinger, Killer is Dead, GTAV, W101 and Brothers.

Gabe3208

Banned
Funny to see so many people having the same problems as I did getting this game at retail. This is the first game I bought at retail in about 5 years and only because Amazon wasn't doing release day delivery. Hopefully it will be another 5 years before I have to do it again.

Amazon IS doing release day deliveries, got my copy of SM3DW delivered today!

Neiteio

Whoa, what? I've been avoiding info on this game till today, so I haven't heard about any of this. What kind of penalty are we talking about?
He's asking, he's not saying there is a penalty.

I doubt the game would penalize you (I.E. make your file not sparkle) if the box appears. Just don't use the invincible Tanooki power-up. I remember I failed enough times on certain levels in 3D Land, the box appeared, and I -still- got the sparkles on my save file when all was said and done. It's fine.

Lumyst

Psh, must be a Best Buy thing, 3D World was ready for me to buy just by walking in to Target this morning, no problems at all :p But in defense of my local Best Buy, I got my XL back in Spring when it was on sale, 2DS and Pokemon when they came out, with no problems too.

J.W.Crazy

Everything about this game has been incredible so far but man is the music good. I find myself getting distracted from the game just listening to the soundtrack, especially the first snow themed level.

bounchfx

played a bit during lunch. holy FUCK all over my face. It's SO good. I love it. It's a mix of all the shit that made past marios great.

As for the next mario game, I'd love to see a return to Mario 64 style hub/open world levels with multiple goals, but in a grounded reality like this. IDEALLY an open world mario set in the whole mushroom kingdom.

Topper

Went to grab this at Toys'R'Us and they have buy one get one 40% off going on so I grabbed Wonderful101 also, going to be a good weekend.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Uncanny. I'm still only on the first world, but for the first time ever, a game is giving me the exact same feeling that I had when I played Mario World for the first time as a five year old.

On top of that, I'm exploring more than I did in any "real" (what a joke) 3D Mario game.

All of the naysayers and trolls should be truly ashamed of themselves. This game is all-time.

Malus

Just beat the 1st level. I love how dense it is. Just packed with fun things to do. Also I did NOT expect to see that powerup there, or in the game at all for that matter. What other surprises lie in store?

Mik317

I doubt the game would penalize you (I.E. make your file not sparkle) if the box appears. Just don't use the invincible Tanooki power-up. I remember I failed enough times on certain levels in 3D Land, the box appeared, and I -still- got the sparkles on my save file when all was said and done. It's fine.

Fire Emblem and Pokemon

Berordn

Actually, 3D Land did just that, just like NSMBW did with Super Guide. If the box shows up at all, you lose the bonus sparkle.

Just beat the 1st level. I love how dense it is. Just packed with fun things to do. Also I did NOT expect to see that powerup there, or in the game at all for that matter. What other surprises lie in store?

Man that's so exciting. The charm is hitting you right from the first level :p :p :p

Morts

Is this thing really 2.4 GB? I started the download ten minutes ago and it's already over 60%. And my wifi has always seemed pretty shitty...

Lijik

I agree. The first time I went through it, I nearly ran out of time because I spent so much time dicking around and poking into every possible area

Alex

Picked it up with Zelda at Walmart on a break today. They were selling it for $10 off, so not too bad since its the only sale of sorts that I've personally seen on it.

traveler

Not Wario
Enjoying the game a lot so far. Definitely feels like a step above 3d land and I love the cat suit, although it does make me miss moves like the dive when I'm vanilla Mario even more than usual. A few other notes-

-The time thing really needs to go with some of these levels. There are plenty that obviously designed to encourage you to look for secrets and here I am running out of time. I agree that it makes sense on some levels were the clock is intended to be part of threat, but not every level needs the timer.

-The game relies on 2d or pseudo 2d perspective a little too much imo. A lot of these levels feel like 2d levels where the 3rd dimension is used primarily just to have wiggle room for multiplayer. I thought the Galaxies did a great job of focused linearity while also feeling 3d, but this tips a bit too far back in the 2d direction.

-Straight up gorgeous game. And the music is just as good as I hoped. I still like Galaxy's ost better, but there are some great new songs here.

-I feel like I'm tearing through this one pretty fast. I don't know if it's the ease (although 3d mario is rarely challenging in the first place) or the amount of total content or how the content is structured pre or post game, but I'm already in world 5 after playing just this afternoon. The star based games definitely felt more dense.

Emitan

Jesus Christ level 3-2. That level plus catsuit is the most fun I've had in a Mario game ever.

I have never been happier in my life to find a checkpoint

tumblr_mworkfmMKi1rz64y6o1_1280.jpg

El Odio

Banned
Jesus Christ level 3-2. That level plus catsuit is the most fun I've had in a Mario game ever.

I have never been happier in my life to find a checkpoint

tumblr_mworkfmMKi1rz64y6o1_1280.jpg
Just finished this one. My god that music was something else.
BTW, don't know if its been mentioned but if you spin the control stick around really fast to run in a tight circle you'll character will start swirling around. I couldn't stop doing it as toad once I found out that was a thing.

batbeg

Finished up the game with 199 stars
and just played my first level of Star World. I played the second one until I got one of my many many game overs and decided to call it a day since I work soon.

Such a good fucking game.

EhoaVash

2 hours in, in world 3 have 36 green stars so far...WOW ..jut WOW the music in the ghost house brought tears to my eyes..it's sooooooo good + the raining effect =WOW

some negatives I have so far, ( I'm playing this co-op with my 6 year old brother ) ..co-op is a mess for this game sometimes but that could be cause my brother is inexperienced at games..but ....I already had game over screens like 6 times ..wish we didn't have to share lives =/

2. The timer is ruining some stuff, I wanna explore everything but the damn timer keeps running out.

Top Bottom