• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

ohlawd

Just finished this one. My god that music was something else.
BTW, don't know if its been mentioned but if you spin the control stick around really fast to run in a tight circle you'll character will start swirling around. I couldn't stop doing it as toad once I found out that was a thing.
The twirl is a Sunshine thing. Glad they brought it back.

well my brother's home so I don't get to play now :(

ugh time to play the massively inferior Zelda:ALBW.

Lingitiz

Man you guys are really tempting me to run out and buy a Wii U right now. Do we know how long it will take to beat this/100% it?

-PXG-

Fuck my new Xbox One and PS4. Time for some goddamn Mario.

Seriously...I've only played the first level. I literally almost cried. So many memories came flooding back. Oh shit....the feels.

Thank you Nintendo.

This is a very good game, but its still stuck in that 3D Land mode that's holding it back. The slow start up to running, the 8-way controls, the triple jump/backflip being gone, long jump sucks, etc. It simply doesn't control as well as Galaxy, I think. Its not as fun to play. Its all rather easy so far, too. Bosses stink.

It's an 8/10, but its not even in either Galaxy's league, 4 worlds down.

-The time thing really needs to go with some of these levels. There are plenty that obviously designed to encourage you to look for secrets and here I am running out of time. I agree that it makes sense on some levels were the clock is intended to be part of threat, but not every level needs the timer.
Hm? What timer? I'm in World 3 and I've yet to notice a timer in every level.
This is a very good game, but its still stuck in that 3D Land mode that's holding it back. The slow start up to running, the 8-way controls, the triple jump/backflip being gone, long jump sucks, etc. It simply doesn't control as well as Galaxy, I think. Its not as fun to play. Its all rather easy so far, too. Bosses stink.

So far, it's charting the waters of Galaxy 2 for me. The bosses aren't as good as SMG2, but the individual levels offer a lot of exploration.

APJtTbk.jpg

xfgUD8a.jpg

vySCxPa.jpg

49EVLyv.jpg

RvJO23S.jpg

kH5FL9B.jpg

5UQyVCr.jpg

C5jGx7z.jpg

FHZIZCj.jpg

TrqMKpM.jpg

mbpJpXH.jpg

m1iG3na.jpg

SW158i9.jpg

et6rdNb.jpg

yywf69t.jpg

QjBDFlc.jpg

roftnBT.jpg

Aq0mVRt.jpg

OcseKNK.jpg

kiwz2Tk.jpg
Here's just a few screenshots I took.

So far, it's charting the waters of Galaxy 2 for me. The bosses aren't as good as SMG2, but the individual levels offer a lot of exploration.

Really? I find all the levels to seem very compact, even compared to Galaxy, with larger square platforms to accommodate multiple people.

Really? I find all the levels to seem very compact, even compared to Galaxy, with larger square platforms to accommodate multiple people.

They're far less linear than any of the levels in Galaxy 1 and 2 (I replayed them in October, so they're fresh in my mind). There's *a lot* to explore and you're almost always rewarded for doing so. Nothing like Galaxy where you stay on one path with little room for error.

Keep in mind I'm a girl who thinks Galaxy 1 was better than 2, so not saying it's better than both Galaxy games.

I agree about the initial running speed, missing the triple jump, and the long jump being nerfed. The 8 way controls don't bother me as much, but I'm definitely missing the agility of the other 3D titles. The levels also aren't as impressive, thus far, as the Galaxy titles, and I firmly believe that comes down to most of them being built as blocky, flat, isometric view, "can fit 2-4 people in them" structures. I like how many secrets they pack in, but the structural design isn't all that interesting even when the art looks great.

They're far less linear than any of the levels in Galaxy 1 and 2 (I replayed them in October, so they're fresh in my mind). There's *a lot* to explore and you're almost always rewarded for doing so. Nothing like Galaxy where you stay on one path with little room for error.

Keep in mind I'm a girl who thinks Galaxy 1 was better than 2, so not saying it's better than both Galaxy games.

I played Galaxy 2 pretty recently, I just don't find that true at all. The levels are small, linear affairs, built from a flat, blocky isometric perspective, with the occasional green star tucked away to the left or the right. It seems smaller than the Galaxy games in a lot of ways, both in its presentation and its compact little levels. Nothing's really impressed me in this game, made me think, "Wow, that was great!" Just "that was fun", "that was cute", "that was nice"

I got this and ALBW today, and so far, I'm really enjoying this game. I think I like playing as Peach the most, lol. Also that music is just god-like. I had to literally stop in Piranha Creeper Creek, just to listen to it.

I played Galaxy 2 pretty recently, I just don't find that true at all. The levels are small, linear affairs, built from a flat, blocky isometric perspective, with the occasional green star tucked away to the left or the right. It seems smaller than the Galaxy games in a lot of ways, both in its presentation and its compact little levels.

Guess we're playing different versions, then.

wtf best buy. i went in to the store today to purchase both this and zelda: albw and was shocked/confused that they didn't seem to be anywhere on the store floor. not even any advertisements for the games. i nearly shat myself. i ended up asking an associate and he said they had them in stock, but they were back in the warehouse. thank christ. but is there any reason they aren't stocking them on the proper in store shelves???

and it didn't need to be.

This game is awesome. Galaxy is awesome.

Who cares which one is more awesome?

I was just hoping this game was as good as their last two console 3D Marios, and its a definite step below in some not-small ways. Sorry I ruined your good mood with my opinion.

Zing

Banned
I assume the golden flags on the world list mean you reached the top of the flagpole in that level?

Any significance to having crowns on the flags in multiplayer?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Are most people here just playing through the game single-player? While it is a great game that way, you really should try it with four players if you have the opportunity. That is something else entirely. What a phenomenal experience. You might want to stock up on lives in World 1-2 though, as if your friends are anything like mine, they will be dying a lot.

The cherry can make a mess especially when ghost data is on the course as well.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01yjbsu.jpg

That hallway was a slaughterhouse. :(

Came back with da homies though

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01dcjhg.jpg

HoJu

everything about Shift Boo's Mansion (3-3) is amazing. the music is so good.

i'm really enjoying it so far, even if the levels have been pretty basic so far. i'm someone that loved 3D Land though, so...

and viewtiful, you're only 4 worlds in? the difficulty will probably ramp up at world 6. isn't that how it usually goes with Nintendo nowadays?

I was just hoping this game was as good as their last two console 3D Marios, and its a definite step below in some not-small ways. Sorry I ruined your good mood with my opinion.

It sounds like you're looking to annoy people. He's simply disagreeing with you, and now you're reading WAY too far into it.

I'm going to wait until I've completed it to speak to its quality as it relates to the Galaxy games.

Shinta

Banned
Blowing the little goombas away is really satisfying lol.

I actually am enjoying the touch screen and blow platforms too. Believe me, I thought they'd be gimmicky,and they are. But I'd be lying if I said they weren't fun, and satisfying.

HoJu

It sounds like you're looking to annoy people. He's simply disagreeing with you, and now you're reading WAY too far into it.

I'm going to wait until I've completed it to speak to its quality as it relates to the Galaxy games.

lol oh god.

the backwards jump is in the game, viewtiful. and also there's a roll jump, which is basically the long jump of yore. I have no idea why they got rid of the triple jump, though...

Damn that level with the ants I think in stage 4 somewhere was so amazing. Probably my favorite level so far. I'll have to find out which stage it was to play it again. I absolutely love this game so far and it's only getting better the more I play it too.

Blues1990

Man, I just want to take a moment to say how much I love Bowser's design. He's been my favorite Mario character since SM64. The spiny shell, the spiked cuffs, the citrus color scheme... How he's so fierce but adorable at the same time... I love him so much I have a plush of him up on a shelf, from an online buddy at NOA, a plush my dog wants to eat and that I will protect dearly because I insist Bowser is just misunderstood!

BowserlairMP2.jpg

Back in Super Mario 64 & Mario Party 2, it was pretty amusing that Bowser (to me, anyway) had the uncanny resemblance to that of a grumpy pug.

There's a severe lack of Pug Bowser in this day & age, if you ask me.

Mik317

No you didn't ruin my mood at all.

It's your opinion and everything but I just feel that when you go into a game comparing it to something else you tend to over-think things. Its the same as the people who will go into this expecting it to suck for whatever preconceived notions they have.

If I went into this expecting it to be something it so obviously wasn't then I too would be let down because it's not that thing.

I tend to let most games stand alone outside of direct sequels. Speaking of which, I though Galaxy 2 was weaker than the first one but that's because they were extremely similar games. If you are going to compare this to anything then it would be 3DLand...and this blows that out of the water (and 3DLand is great).

I'm sorry who aren't enjoying it as much as I am but this game so far is my GOTY

zroid

Banned
Blowing the little goombas away is really satisfying lol.

I actually am enjoying the touch screen and blow platforms too. Believe me, I thought they'd be gimmicky,and they are. But I'd be lying if I said they weren't fun, and satisfying.

I look like a dumbass while playing this game because I'm constantly blowing at the GamePad just to see if anything cool will happen.

Top Bottom