• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

I liked Galaxy 1's pacing more from what I remember.

I did as well. Galaxy 2 and 3DLand's levels were a lot more of a candy experience compared to Galaxy, where you would pop in a level, it would be really good, but then it was done and over with before you got to fully flesh out that level's unique ideas.

D-e-f-

Banned
How the fuck is the IQ so good in this game? I'd really like to know what AA method they're using, hopefully DF will do an extensive tech article on this beauty...EAD Tokyo are freakin' wizards!

One more week dammit. :p

It will amount to "yea they're using old tricks, nothing we haven't seen before, this could've run on a 360 ...which it technically is lulz, not 1080p but hey at least no framedips so the horrible slow cpu and the 43% slower RAM can do something right" ...cuz DF will DF.

EhoaVash

co-op 3D world feels like a sonic game, ( this time a good thing ) so much shit/amazing shit is happening that its hard to keep track at this point it's getting end of world 3, that aristocrat boss battle was insane in co-op don't know how I beat it shit happened so fast cause of cat mario

Shinta

Banned
The skate FEELS like a skate. It just controls so damn smooth ... and the sharp cuts ... I mean, geez.

The simplest things in this game are just insane.

Was able to snag a pair of pink cat ears from GameStop that the employees are wearing today. It's new in the pack too so nobody else's funk is on it. Was really happy they gave me a pair!

zroid

Banned
Double Cherry is just SO GOOD

The instant you pick it up, it's just the greatest feeling. Especially when you've got the Cat suit on.

ifgtorSO0CeSO.jpg

Epcott

Holy shit, Wii U game digital dl is the ABSOLUTE WORST!

No hyperbole here. Felt like 40 min to download the game, then 15 more just to install? Give me my Mario already.

I've beaten the first four worlds. I don't think it's as good as Mario Galaxy 1 (the controls aren't quite as good), but it's definitely better than 3D Land. I can definitely see myself coming back to this after beating it.

Shinta

Banned
I'm still waiting for the challenge to start. Other than that, it's as close to flawless as platformers get these days. I'm still early on also, world 2.

*If* there is a Galaxy 3, I'd love to see it incorporate 3D Worlds power-up structure. Making power-ups option or something to find as a reward for exploration adds a whole other non-linear dimension to the levels. Whether or not you have a certain power-up causes you to tackle a part of a level in different ways.

Air

Banned
I think the game is very fun, but I do miss the triple jump. I'm in world 5, and I've had a lot of fun. It'll be nice to play as other characters too when I finish with Mario. Also I've been collecting all the stars in the level before I move on and that's been a little challenging, but I do feel like I'm blowing through it. I've played for a total of about 5 hours. I feel like the galaxy games were longer, but on its own, super Mario 3d world is still a ton of fun.

rawktapus

iTsWwMo1gy8fd.jpg

iuC9POEllL7BW.jpg

This really is a very pretty game. I'm having some folks over tonight to give the multiplayer a spin. Single player has been amazing so far, and I expect multiplayer to take it to a whole other level.

I'm so glad Mario games are still being made you guys. I know some people have tired of the trappings of the mushroom kingdom, and I understand the luster wearing off when it's a world you've visited many times, but it's a world that's still unlike anything else out there when you look back and examine it.. Don't get me wrong,I'm not trying to say it's better or has more soul or whatever, because there are some fantastic worlds and characters that have been made since Mario, (Tearaway, Journey, heck even more grounded worlds like Uncharted and Bioshock) but there's still nothing quite like the Mushroom Kingdom; a world of mushrooms and monsters, flowers that let you shoot fire, and a fun sense of adventure that feels like a fairy tale.

Air

Banned
Have you guys encountered that giant 8-bit Luigi running through the water in the background yet ?
I haven't seen the giant one, but I've seen a bunch of little luigis everywhere. It's hilarious where they've been popping up.

Beats

I'm at World 7 with all the stars, but I haven't been collecting every stamp. Do you get anything for that or is it just for Miiverse? Anyway, game is pretty fun so far. I'm not totally blown away by the levels, but they're quite enjoyable.

Shinta

Banned
This really is a very pretty game.
It's really one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. Nintendo has some crazy sparkle lighting shit down, because the coins in this game have this gleam to them that just looks insane. It's the same thing you see with the rupees in Zelda WW.

It's just surprising, since they're so early into their HD development experience. But this game visually trumps a LOT of stuff on PS3. A lot of that is style, but that style definitely counts for something.

X and Zelda Wii U are going to be insane.

Uhhhhhhhh okay. That was really weird. I was in this level in World 4 where I did some exploring and found this weird orange pipe. I hop into it...and I'm brought back to the World menu. I'm riding a tube underground, bypass the castle of World 4, and pop out in World 5 with no way to get back – completely skipping several levels along the way.

Well then...

Uhhhhhhhh okay. That was really weird. I was in this level in World 4 where I did some exploring and found this weird orange pipe. I hop into it...and I'm brought back to the World menu. I'm riding a tube underground, bypass the castle of World 4, and pop out in World 5 with no way to get back – completely skipping several levels along the way.

Well then...

Oh snap.

Bebpo

Banned
I picked up a Wii U for this last night and grabbed this today. Looks great! Is there a general Wii U thread somewhere for asking questions about the system? Can't seem to find one >_<

They're far less linear than any of the levels in Galaxy 1 and 2 (I replayed them in October, so they're fresh in my mind). There's *a lot* to explore and you're almost always rewarded for doing so. Nothing like Galaxy where you stay on one path with little room for error.

Keep in mind I'm a girl who thinks Galaxy 1 was better than 2, so not saying it's better than both Galaxy games.

good taste

Exile20

Wii U at retail is totally fucked man.

Went to best buy, all Wii and Wii U are bundled in one section. Not even separated in the section, everything is a mess. Then, no SM3DW to be found. Searched all over best buy and nothing. Asked a guy that was looking at Wii U games if he saw SM3DW and he said he didn't even know there was a new Mario.

A bestbuy employee came up to me and asked if I wanted help, so I told him I was looking for SM3DW and he looked puzzled. He went to the computer and looked for it and said they had it and went somewhere, no clue where(backroom?) and came back out with the game. Why isn't it on the shelves with the other games? Smh.....

The Xbox and PS4 section were on big displays and prominently infront of the customer.

Later tonight I went in gamestop just to look around. As soon as I walked in was PS4 on the left, Xbox 1 on the right then PS3 then X360 and all in the back corner in a small section is Wii U. Atleast SM3DW was on display there. You needed to look for it, even DS, Vita, 3ds were in the center of the store as you walked in.

Kard8p3

Well then...

You can pull up a map screen that instantly warps you to whatever world you choose.

D-e-f-

Banned
I picked up a Wii U for this last night and grabbed this today. Looks great! Is there a general Wii U thread somewhere for asking questions about the system? Can't seem to find one >_<

Threads like this aren't allowed anymore.

Just go here for general game questions and system questions. But many people have been using this one to talk about the system overall.

Top Bottom