• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Neiteio

iYuhs6vfmsN3e.jpg

Tanooki suit in a Propeller Helmet in a Kuribo's Skate
Ha, I was rocking this combo last night. I dig the Propeller Helmet, but is there any way to take it off? Like this screenshot, I had both it and the Tanooki Suit and the Skate, but I just wanted to use the Tanooki Suit, lol.

This is a very good game, but its still stuck in that 3D Land mode that's holding it back. The slow start up to running, the 8-way controls, the triple jump/backflip being gone, long jump sucks, etc. It simply doesn't control as well as Galaxy, I think. Its not as fun to play. Its all rather easy so far, too. Bosses stink.

It's an 8/10, but its not even in either Galaxy's league, 4 worlds down.

I just played some more.

Back flips and side flips seem to still be in the game.

There is a short-Long jump (Z+A) and a long-Long jump (Z+A while running.)

The triple jump being gone is a damn shame though.

zroid

Banned
Ha, I was rocking this combo last night. I dig the Propeller Helmet, but is there any way to take it off? Like this screenshot, I had both it and the Tanooki Suit and the Skate, but I just wanted to use the Tanooki Suit, lol.

Get hit, I guess, lol

Lijik

I just played some more.

Back flips and side flips seem to still be in the game.

There is a short-Long jump (Z+A) and a long-Long jump (Z+A while running.)

The triple jump being gone is a damn shame though.

Yeah you can definitely do the flips. Agreed about the triple jump, always thought that was brilliant. Its not even a matter of breaking the game, the high jump you get from jumping as you stick a ground pound gives you about the height of a triple jump. Hell, the way you pull that jump off alone is just a really convoluted version of the triple jump system

I've played the game for about four hours and haven't completed World 4 yet, so I don't have any more worries about this game being too short, especially with me going back and finding all the green stars.

Fantastically fun game. Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Also, Plessie seems a lot more fun (and controllable) than the surfing levels in Galaxy 1.

Edit: Anyone else notice how Cat Mario leaves scratch marks at the top of his wall climb?

Wii U at retail is totally fucked man.

Went to best buy, all Wii and Wii U are bundled in one section. Not even separated in the section, everything is a mess. Then, no SM3DW to be found. Searched all over best buy and nothing. Asked a guy that was looking at Wii U games if he saw SM3DW and he said he didn't even know there was a new Mario.

A bestbuy employee came up to me and asked if I wanted help, so I told him I was looking for SM3DW and he looked puzzled. He went to the computer and looked for it and said they had it and went somewhere, no clue where(backroom?) and came back out with the game. Why isn't it on the shelves with the other games? Smh.....

The Xbox and PS4 section were on big displays and prominently infront of the customer.

Later tonight I went in gamestop just to look around. As soon as I walked in was PS4 on the left, Xbox 1 on the right then PS3 then X360 and all in the back corner in a small section is Wii U. Atleast SM3DW was on display there. You needed to look for it, even DS, Vita, 3ds were in the center of the store as you walked in.

This is what piss me off, really. Nintendo should give more attention to this matter. The way retailers are treating Wii U is ridiculous. If this keep up the way it is, it might hurt Wii U sales considerably.

Also, Plessie seems a lot more fun (and controllable) than the surfing levels in Galaxy 1.
Completely agreed. On my replay of SMG I didn't touch those surfing levels, so I can't place my finger on what makes the Plessie levels more enjoyable...but I do know I enjoy them more from my memories of trying the surfing levels in SMG for the first time.
??????
ijxaATh4O9S3F.jpg

I do hope I'm somehow misunderstanding you.
Never played it. The Mario games I've played before this are: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, SMG1, and SMG2.

Jagsrock

Banned
This game is such a delightful mash up of all the mario games to date. After more time with the game ive come to the conclusion that luigi is in fact the best. I still like toad but luigi's awesome.
imjdhuykpdJfK.jpg

entremet

Wow. This game is a gem.

Nintendo took its sweet time to join the HD era, but man they weren't lazy about it.

I do hope we get more Nintendo home consoles. These graphics, man.

While it is obvious this is not Galaxy, it is still a damn impressive game and most important of all, the game Nintendo needed right now.

Adding multiplayer is the genious move by Nintendo, while also being able to play alone. I just played this with my 2 kids and we had a blast!! Again this is the game Nintendo needed right now and we get to have another top tier Mario, the best of both worlds they could achieve!!

I also wish we get a Galaxy type game but I am happy this is the game Nintendo released now.

It's funny that, after all the fear that this game would be too different than Galaxy, the levels are quite similar in many areas. You could literally change the background to "space" and I would buy it as a Galaxy game.

I'm somehow enjoying it MORE than either Galaxy game, however. It's just way too fun to do just about everything.

DMiz

Got this as a gift today!

Had a bit of time to mess around before I had to up it down, but I've beaten World 1 (getting about 95% of the green stars) and have gotten a good chance to see some of the overall game types and stages.

Some basic thoughts:
  • The controls are tight and the worlds are inventive. Essentially, it's a bigger, more fleshed out version of 3D Land - and while I can understand why some people wouldn't be particularly happy with that, I loved 3D Land and I'm only moreso happy to get more of it.
  • The Cat Suit is surprisingly charming for something that came off incredibly kitsch when it was first revealed! It does feel a bit like 'easy-mode', particularly with its cat-swipe and air homing bomb thingy attack, but I imagine that it was designed to circumvent some of the issues with the new camera angle...
  • ... which is both a blessing and a curse. It helps during multi-player sessions but I did notice that I was having problems landing some precision jumps (e.g. on top of Piranha Plant heads).
  • The music is every bit as good as the little video that the Iwata Asks hosted suggests. The themes are fantastically written and some of the re-arrangements are so fresh that it's amazing how they managed to retain the "Mario flavour" while putting in new twists on the melody or rhythm. We are talking Gusty Galaxy levels of awesomeness packed into almost every stage!
  • The Wii U Pro Controller is awesome once you get used to it. Until then, your hands will hurt and you will wonder why Nintendo ever went with the current stick layout. And then you will see genius when you stop using the stick to control movement, shift your thumb down to the D-pad, and it's like you never, ever want to let go ever again.
The game certainly seems to be packed with a ton of things to do and see. I'm surprised that World 1 went by as fast as it did, but if 3D Land is indicative of anything, the hunt for Green Stars and
hidden content in the 'second' half, i.e. the post-game
should more than make up for it.

Going through the game as Luigi for now. It's his year, right? ;P

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Ugh I went to 6 stores today since I felt like grabbing an Xbox One with Mario and Zelda, surprisingly (not really) none of them had the games up on display when I went. I ended up getting everything I set out to get, but I had to convince the worker that Mario and Zelda were out this week not next. Either way I hope they sell gangbusters this holiday.

wtf best buy. i went in to the store today to purchase both this and zelda: albw and was shocked/confused that they didn't seem to be anywhere on the store floor. not even any advertisements for the games. i nearly shat myself. i ended up asking an associate and he said they had them in stock, but they were back in the warehouse. thank christ. but is there any reason they aren't stocking them on the proper in store shelves???

Because they give zero fucks. At BB the guy told me that there hasn't been a new Mario game since Mario Bros U. He's like "oh you must be referring to the Luigi one". After 10 min on the computer he finally admitted the game existed, and went to the back where I'm assuming they've dumped their stock in a hole in the ground and have been sworn to silence. A huge banner for this game should be plastered outside the entrance of every BestBuy, but I guess that's only reserved for Call of Duty games, and other such shit.

Gsnap

Just finished playing through almost 4 worlds with my gf. We had a blast. The multiplayer is so much fun. Really digging the game so far. Plenty to do, plenty to see. A good mix of platforming and exploration.

Raw64life

Finished the first 2 worlds. Incredible game, although I still gravitate towards the Wii U Pro Controller. Just feels more comfortable. And dat buttery smooth 60 FPS makes a world of difference.

Went to five stores around Salt Lake City, and saw no copies.
(3 Walmarts, 2 Best Buys)
This game is selling, apparently!
I really want a WiiU bundle with this. lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Went to five stores around Salt Lake City, and saw no copies.
(3 Walmarts, 2 Best Buys)
This game is selling, apparently!
I really want a WiiU bundle with this. lol

Judging by some other posts in this thread- are you sure they even had the game out to purchase?

World 4 complete. That was easily the best one so far. I found some parts of Worlds 1 through 3 to be dull, but every level in 4 was great. Thats it for today for me. Will do 5 through 8 tomorrow.

StAidan

I've only played the first 2 stages of World 1. Won't get to more until the kids are in bed, but man if this game hasn't made an amazing impression already. It's like playing joy.

It is going to take a few more levels before I am comfortable judging my jumps on enemies. Hadn't realised it at that time but the 3D on the 3DS helped a lot.

It is going to take a few more levels before I am comfortable judging my jumps on enemies. Hadn't realised it at that time but the 3D on the 3DS helped a lot.

Haha, yeah I felt kind of pathetic failing my jumps at the start. That 3D really did help. You get used to it though, and I've been using Peach a lot as well which makes it very easy.

Kard8p3

If human cloning ever becomes a thing we should clone the EAD Tokyo team so we can get double the amount of crazy high quality games. If only we could get games like this on a regular basis.

Top Bottom