• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Fauv

I'm about 4 worlds in and man, this game oozes charm. The music, the sounds, the visuals, it's just stunning.

That being said, I already feel like it's falling a bit short of Galaxy so far as a single player experience, and for me a big part of that is the controls. I really don't understand why, when you have an analog stick, you need a run button. It makes sense when you are playing a side-scroller with a d-pad so that you can have two speeds of movement, but you already fine tune your speed with the stick. So what's the point? It feels to me like they did it just because that's the way it is in 2d Mario games and since 3d Land they're trying to merge the 2d and 3d gameplay, but that's not a compelling reason to me. Furthermore, I need to let go of run if I want to claw/shoot a fireball/spin/etc. I probably don't speak for everyone, but I really liked the shake-to-spin in the Galaxy games. It just felt very fluid to me, and my thumb was solely focused on jumping, the most important part of any Mario game.

Anyway, I'm getting used to it, and this game is still fantastic. I can't wait to try it with other people!

Found a sneaky 8bit Luigi dancing in the top corner at the beginning of 2-3.

ilD8Mxe1kOH6w.jpg

Magnus

Well into the first world now. It's cute and fun and all. HD Mario is gorgeous.

But guys. Galaxy this ain't. Nowhere near the same level of wonder and adventure. Nowhere near the soundtrack. Nowhere near as mind-blowing. But didn't expect it to be.

I'm early yet. I hope things change. Way too easy right now too.

I wish they'd ditch this soundtrack design and go back to the amazing stuff in Galaxy. :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I gave in and went digital with this...I feel bad though since I sort of wanted to have a physical copy so it doesn't appear that my Wii U has no games, but I just couldn't wait till Monday. I was gonna give in and either purchase this or Zelda digitally, the other physically as I have a 40$ GC to Best Buy, and my 3DS is pretty tight on space.

Kyzer

Banned
Well into the first world now. It's cute and fun and all. HD Mario is gorgeous.

But guys. Galaxy this ain't. Nowhere near the same level of wonder and adventure. Nowhere near the soundtrack. Nowhere near as mind-blowing. But didn't expect it to be.

I'm early yet. I hope things change. Way too easy right now too.

I wish they'd ditch this soundtrack design and go back to the amazing stuff in Galaxy. :(

Calm down, bro.

The first two worlds feel like 3D Land part 2. Which is fine, but as good as 3D Land was, it didn't really hold my interest or keep me excited.

But suddenly, World 3. motherofgod.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh, and can you switch characters at will, or do you need to beat levels sequentially with each character?

I don't know who to play as first...

Beats

Oh, and can you switch characters at will, or do you need to beat levels sequentially with each character?

I don't know who to play as first...

You can switch anytime you enter most levels by pressing B before the level loads. Not sure how to do it outside of that though.

Shinta

Banned
I love Captain Toad. I feel like he needs his own full game now.

And dat Ghost House ... the music is great. Probably the best ghost house atmosphere since 64.

Downhome

I can't get the main theme out of my head!!!

"I am a kitten, I go meow, I am a kitten I go meowwwwwwwww. I am a kitten, a kitten, a kitten I go meowwwwwwwwwww."

Put those words or something like it to the music, you'll never hear it the same again.

The ONLY thing I don't like about this game is having to blow onto the gamepad for certain platforms. How do you play those stages with other controllers?

DMiz

I can't get the main theme out of my head!!!

"I am a kitten, I go meow, I am a kitten I go meowwwwwwwww. I am a kitten, a kitten, a kitten I go meowwwwwwwwwww."

Put those words or something like it to the music, you'll never hear it the same again.

You have ruined the main theme for me. Likely forever. :(
HOW DOES IT WORK SO WELL?!

ultrazilla

While it is obvious this is not Galaxy, it is still a damn impressive game and most important of all, the game Nintendo needed right now.

Adding multiplayer is the genious move by Nintendo, while also being able to play alone. I just played this with my 2 kids and we had a blast!! Again this is the game Nintendo needed right now and we get to have another top tier Mario, the best of both worlds they could achieve!!

I also wish we get a Galaxy type game but I am happy this is the game Nintendo released now.

I just got done playing with my 2 sons who are 10 and 13. Fantastic multiplayer(if at times a bit confusing....but great fun!)

The graphics have gotten to a point now where Mario imho looks straight out of a Pixar movie. Nintendo really did a great job with the game. The colors and level design, music and controls are near perfect.

A game this good(in looks and play) and the Wii U being only a year old, makes me excited to see what Zelda, Metroid and Starfox could look like. :)

I noticed today that part of the main theme in Super Mario 3D Worlds has similarities to a track from a Studio Ghibli Film called Pom Poko, a film about tanookis and their war with humans. The track is called Tanuki no Manbo.

at 45 seconds there is a bit that sounds very similar to this section in the main theme of Super mario 3d worlds.

Gsnap

Haven't beaten the game yet, but I have gotten to
the Carnival World
. As far as level design and power-ups and creativity and variety and fun and content (considering where I'm at and how much more there will be for me to play) and music (yes even music : P ), I'd say this game is certainly equal to Galaxy and Galaxy 2. Honestly the only things missing are gravity mechanics and dialogue. Nobody talks to you in this game, so there's fewer cutscenes and new characters. It does make the game feel less "grand". But what I'm doing in the levels is equally as fun as anything I did in Galaxy.

olimpia84

Just beat the first world. This game is fantastic. Colorful, fun, smooth...well done EAD. The Capn. Toad level was mad fun too xD

I really think the lack of a triple jump hurts the feel of the controls more than even I was giving it credit for at first--there's this loss of a sense of momentum and the characters feel more stilted and stiff than they should. I really both don't understand why it's missing (it's in NSMB for goodness sake) and feel it shouldn't be missing.

The world maps are a big step above 3D Land's long gray line (fucking anything is), but having only briefly glimpsed them prior to release I felt really let down by their actual form. I thought it was going to be something resembling a playground to just jump around in and explore bereft of the time limit (which is something I really hope they never, ever bring back to 3D Mario outside of the actual timed missions), but instead it's anything but.

Magnus

World 1's second half was great! Loved the castle stage too. Game picked up. Being able to play as four different characters rules too! Missed my Peach!! #SMB2

Still don't care for the music and the toad level was dreary. Miss my gravity shizzle too.

Gsnap

I really think the lack of a triple jump hurts the feel of the controls more than even I was giving it credit for at first--there's this loss of a sense of momentum and the characters feel more stilted and stiff than they should. I really both don't understand why it's missing (it's in NSMB for goodness sake) and feel it shouldn't be missing.

This is my only problem with the game so far (as far as controls go). Clearly the levels are built so you don't need the triple jump... but it's just so good. I want it. : / A shame. Rolling long jump and spin jump are very fun too, though.

zroid

Banned
FYI if you REALLY hate blowing, you can also just give the microphone a firm tap and it'll have the same effect. Not as convenient of course since you have to move your hand from the controls.

spliced

I have the Goodness! Wahoo!

The feels starting that new file. :)

First thing I noticed is the reverse cat pounce is awesome. build up running speed and jump then hit reverse and pounce. Feels so good with the momentum.

What was with all those videos of people jumping at the top when trying to climb up ledges in the cat suit? I saw it so many times I thought there was some trick to it. Now I play it and nope, just run up the wall and it automatically climbs over the ledge onto the top.

Already died a few times on the first level because of playing around and running out of time lol.

This is my only problem with the game so far (as far as controls go). Clearly the levels are built so you don't need the triple jump... but it's just so good. I want it. : / A shame. Rolling long jump and spin jump are very fun too, though.
spin jump?

Top Bottom