• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Haluko

Awesome game. Been playing with my 7 year old daughter and we are having a blast. The co-op is perfect and its great to have peach for my daughter to play.

Andrew.

Banned
FYI if you REALLY hate blowing, you can also just give the microphone a firm tap and it'll have the same effect. Not as convenient of course since you have to move your hand from the controls.

I was being facetious but yeah, the blow mechanic is super sensitive. You dont even need to put your face up to the screen.

Just finished the first silhouette level. Shit eating grin going on the entire time. There are so many throwbacks in this to every single past Mario game.

*Also, what's the deal with the 8-bit figures and silhouettes Ive been seeing? Is this an easter egg or a multiplayer thing?

Oh man. Don't have a wii u, but this game is making me consider getting one just for this game. I want to experience the same magic that Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario World gave me when I was a kid. Will this deliver the same kind of magic?

Jagsrock

Banned
As amazing as galaxy was I feel like this game has greater variety and I love that it incorporates so many elements from the older mario games. Each level features a wow moment and none of them drag on. All four characters have distinct strengths and weaknesses and it gives the game a ton of replay value. It's hard to explain but for me this game feels more like a "mario" game than galaxy.

Andrew.

Banned
Dunno if its been mentioned but if you hold a koopa shell, spin the left stick a couple times and then hit the right trigger, you will jump into the shell. It will turn red and you can control it to knock out baddies.

Damn you na guys to hell!! All we've got in the uk is crappy xbones!

The only thing I'm gonna hate about this game is that it will reinforce my pickiness with games. I ain't got time for anything but Nintendo these days, they sem to be the only people left in the console world who appreciate there own craft

*Also, what's the deal with the 8-bit figures and silhouettes Ive been seeing? Is this an easter egg or a multiplayer thing?

Yes, it was mentioned in the Iwata Asks:

“Hayashida: While I was doing that, the effects staff had planted pixel art of Luigi all over the place, so there's hidden pixel Luigis here and there. It's fun to find them, so I hope players will look for them.”

Dunno if its been mentioned but if you hold a koopa shell, spin the left stick a couple times and then hit the right trigger, you will jump into the shell. It will turn red and you can control it to knock out baddies.
Don't need to do all that. Grab it, run, then press ZR.

Malus

I don't think you need to spin the stick

If any of you would like to watch a live stream of Super Mario 3D World, there is one going on right now, from Nick's Marathon, which is a charity stream ran by gamers dedicated to the memory of their friend, Nicholas Charles Capobianco, who died of lymphoblastic leukemia in 2008. It is a 48 hour Charity stream, raising money to purchase the newest video game consoles for children staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Long Island.

http://www.twitch.tv//nicksmarathon

For more information on Nick's Marathon, check it out here: http://www.nicksmarathon.org/

Mudo

Just popping in to say I picked this up after work and played about 3 hours. I'm in World 3 right now and this is probably the most fun I've had with a game this year.

And what the FUCK is up with the music!? I haven't been following the game development too closely but did they record a live orchestra or something? It's incredible - the music EVERYWHERE in the game has been breathtaking.

danielcw

Damn I want this game and Zelda ALBW so much.
but I do not have the money, and neither a 3DS nor a Wii U

I can't get the main theme out of my head!!!

"I am a kitten, I go meow, I am a kitten I go meowwwwwwwww. I am a kitten, a kitten, a kitten I go meowwwwwwwwwww."

Put those words or something like it to the music, you'll never hear it the same again.

Yeah, your text works in German as well
"Ich bin nen Kätzchen, I mach Miau"

Magnus

None of the 3 people on my friends list are playing this, lol.

Yay at level 3-1!! Magic is back.

What are these drawings at the top at the end of each world? There's no way this many people are stopping to draw shit....and if they are, where are all the profane drawings? Lol

Just popping in to say I picked this up after work and played about 3 hours. I'm in World 3 right now and this is probably the most fun I've had with a game this year.

And what the FUCK is up with the music!? I haven't been following the game development too closely but did they record a live orchestra or something? It's incredible - the music EVERYWHERE in the game has been breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OQg7ot_TE

I don't know if anyone has really commented on it but after watching some of the ps4/x1 streams on twitch of people playing some games I've noticed that Super mario 3d world has really short loading times. Pick a level and within a few seconds you're playing. Gotta appreciate the small things.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
^yep I'm from UK. It' excruciating

i should probably avoid this thread, but can't, your impressions are like pizza margherita to me. Can't get enough!

Final boss is easily better than any of the previous 3D Mario final bosses

post-game stuff tomorrow, but overall its very, very good. Not Galaxy good, but its like they kinda sidestepped Galaxy's ambition for making the best Super Mario Bros 3(D) they could instead.

aparisi2274

post-game stuff tomorrow, but overall its very, very good. Not Galaxy good, but its like they kinda sidestepped Galaxy's ambition for making the best Super Mario Bros 3(D) they could instead.

just curious, did you find all green stars on every level? Or did you just play to enjoy the game and find the ones you could find?

zroid

Banned

Kind of how I feel, really. Still in World 3, but at the end of the day, I probably won't put it up above Galaxy or especially Galaxy 2. Still such a great game. It has its own strengths, too, which elevate it in other ways.

And if you're saying the final boss is better than 3D Land's then I'm already over the moon.

edit: on second thought, I could see this reaching Galaxy for me. Galaxy 2 will be tall order.

entremet

Game reminds me a lot of SMB3, which for me had that fun playground feel and just great level after level after level with surprises. They even use the SMB3 death jingle.

braves01

Banned
I said I wasn't going to get this right away, but couldn't resist picking it up when I got Zelda. I'm through world 3 at this point and it's about what I expected, for better and for worse.

The music is incredible, especially the Bowser tracks...and the 3-1 winter music...and the world 2 overworld music...and others. The art design and visuals are great, too. The stamps are a fantastic idea and make the Miiverse shine for uncreative sobs like me. However, as I also expected, the platforming is only so-so, partly due to the iffy perspective and camera, which are also the only things that have provided any difficulty for me. It's not as big an issue since everything else is so great, but I'm fairly confident I won't put as many hours into it as as I did for NSMB U.

Top Bottom