• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

just curious, did you find all green stars on every level? Or did you just play to enjoy the game and find the ones you could find?

I have 98% of the stars, I reckon. There's maybe 4-5 levels in the game where I missed one and I'd go back for them later. Usually because the level is kinda annoying to go all the way back through, or because it requires a power-up the game didn't give you(unless I missed a hidden block somewhere)

Played for an hour or so with my girlfriend. She doesn't like the perspective. How do I explain that this game is way better than New Super Mario Bros. U??

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do you guys play as one character mainly, or switch around? I've been switching for the first couple of levels to feel every character out, so far Mario and Toad are fun, Luigi is tooo slippery for me, and Peach is too slow.

But does the game keep track of which characters have beaten which levels? I believe that's a prerequisite for 100% completion, right, but I won't be able to remember who has beaten which level.

Mik317

Yep still great.

4 1/2 worlds down and the game is still awesome. It adds a new gimmick every level so it always stays fresh despite it still being running and jumping. Also is getting a bit harder sorta, I am mainly dying from mistiming jumps and going for the stars and stamps.

One "negative" is the boss fights are easy (although Ms Turtle Ninja was pretty cool...wasn't expecting that). But other than that....near perfection.

Does it best Galaxy? Not sure but I am enjoying it more than Galaxy 2.

As for character selection, I am going random most of the time....getting Peach a lot. Her derpy run makes me laugh...ironically I am getting Mario the least. Well he's had his turn in past games.

This game would have to tank big time to not be my GOTY right now. I also need the soundtrack in my veins

braves01

Banned
Do you guys play as one character mainly, or switch around? I've been switching for the first couple of levels to feel every character out, so far Mario and Toad are fun, Luigi is tooo slippery for me, and Peach is too slow.

But does the game keep track of which characters have beaten which levels? I believe that's a prerequisite for 100% completion, right, but I won't be able to remember who has beaten which level.

I've been selecting random before each level to force myself into not just playing as Luigi the whole time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So awesome the first World Map Enemy is Charging Chuck.

I hope they bring back Rex, Dino-Mighty, and the Ninjit back to 3D Mario next...unless they're in the game?

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question, is pressing home and uploading to Miiverse the only way to take an ingame screenshot?

(I'm asking in advance since I still have yet to set up my Wii U, lol)

Exile20

This is so weird.

CwSTlY0.png

fernoca

Stupid question, is pressing home and uploading to Miiverse the only way to take an ingame screenshot?

(I'm asking in advance since I still have yet to set up my Wii U, lol)

After the (last to) recent update, you can press Home and go to the web browser. There you upload 720p pictures to your favorite image hoster, Facebook, Twitter or your own email.

My goodness, getting all the stars in the post-game world with no power-ups/Mario aint no joke. Just burned through 20 lives on a single level, bro...

I don't understand those saying this game is ranking in between the two Galaxies for them. I replayed both back to back this month and I felt they were basically equal with SMG2 having a slight edge.

kodecraft

I don't understand those saying this game is ranking in between the two Galaxies for them. I replayed both back to back this month and I felt they were basically equal with SMG2 having a slight edge.

I enjoyed Galaxy 1 more than Galaxy 2. So 3D World to me is alot more fun than Galaxy 2, there's just something about it.

So it goes SMG > 3DW > SMG2

EhoaVash

playing this on a giant tv while far away kind of sucks, I constantly have too look down on gamepad to get the right perspective in co-op to jump else I fail the jump <.< ..it's much easier to play on gamepad itself then on tv where the isometric perspective is really sucks sometimes.

Odrion

Banned
Up to World 7 so far.

Blissful, just completely blissful. Worth a WiiU by itself.

Also I'm surprised that with it's more, uh, "rigid" design in comparison to the other 3D Marios, there is still a ton of atmosphere. Fire Bros. fort is just filled with it.

Lumyst

I'm at world 3 now! The graphics in this game have such a "dazzling" vibe. I'm liking Nintendo's joy of using the graphical effects capable in their new hardware to just, "dazzle" me :p There's a sense that Nintendo's having fun using new graphical techniques available to them, similar to the joys of their first forays into 3D that I sensed when I went back and played Super Mario 64 recently. So I hope to see many more dazzling, colorful worlds pleasing to the eyes going forth!

I just finished the final boss battle. I liked how it went. It was certainly more satisfying than other final bosses from the Mario games. Overall, I think it's a pretty good game. There's tons of new ideas mixed with the old ones creating some pretty spectacular courses.
Here's a random non-spoilery image:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01sysfi.jpg

smh @ me bringing
the first spring you find all the way to the end of the level
in 4-4 because I thought it would be needed eventually. In one shot too. But I bet if that was actually the challenge it would've taken me days.

This game is polished as hell.

Oh man, doing the Mystery House in
World 4
with Luigi is so free. Jump past everything.

george_us

Just beat World 2-5
Double Cherry Pass

This fucking game

Honestly none of the Mario games past 64 have done a whole lot for me but if this game keeps up, it'll be my favorite right behind Yoshi's Island.

Setting the character select to random before you start a course really makes each gameplay experience unique and opens up a lot of different options.

El Odio

Banned
I remember someone in one of the trailer threads wondering if you could use the cat bullet bills in the train level to get to the other side. Took me about 3 tries but I managed to pull it off.
zlCfzRMvCEs5Prbzrb

Only in posts made from the game directly. Like after you beat a level.

That, and you also have to wait until the game unlocks the feature to post to Miiverse. After that, there's a button that allows you to post from the World Map. Similarly, I have no idea how to play with a Ghost Mii. Does this feature unlock some time after the initial Nintendo Network features activation?

Also, the first Ghost House? Fantastic. The music was perfect. So far, it's my favorite level. I'm still in the middle of World 3.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm not much of a "Collector" but damn if i'm not at least trying to collect all 3 green stars, the stamp, and beat each level without dying.

My issue is that I've only seen Mii-Ghosts in 1-1, even though I'm halfway through world 3 and have beaten each level without dying. That's what it takes to get ghosts, right? Beating a level without dying? Shouldn't I be getting ghost data any time I replay a level then?

I'd love to see each level populated by you guys and random jerks on the internet :( This is such an amazing game though. So many unique levels. I really loved "Bowser's Bullet Bill Brigade" or whatever it was called.

Charging the cannon suit made me feel like I was playing Megaman!

EDIT: Damn I love fall and winter! I've been to snow levels and the look and music were amazing! So Christmasy! That fall level posted above is nice as fuck! Can't wait to get there :D

So I just beat the first two worlds and after telling me how it was saving my game after I left every building I booted up the game again and there was no save file.

Top Bottom