• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

drproton

Played for an hour or so with my girlfriend. She doesn't like the perspective. How do I explain that this game is way better than New Super Mario Bros. U??

New Super Mario Bros U is pretty frickin great though.

It's the first of the "New" series to stand up favorably to the originals, in my opinion. Though in the context of recycled art assets I can't give it full credit.

Kureransu

So I just beat the first two worlds and after telling me how it was saving my game after I left every building I booted up the game again and there was no save file.

do you have a non-powered usb hard drive pluged in? if you do you need to go the settings and copy the save data over the the wii u system memory, you can't write to a non-powered drive. it will error out 85% of the time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do you get penalized somehow if the white tanooki block shows up in your game? I've been soft-resetting out of paranoia whenever it shows up.

Kureransu

Holy shit at World 3 so far.

My god.

my eyes are burning, so i had to stop, but i did play snowball park because i love the music of that level. It was cool on 3d land, but the orchestrated version sounds sooo goood. so far i'm got all greens, all stamps, and all flag pole tops up to world 3-1. having a blast every step of the way.

EDIT: not sure about the tanooki suit deal. hopefully it's not like 3d land. Also, did anyone do the 1up trick in world 1-2? i am running with about 350 lives.

Emitan

Have 100% in the first 5 worlds and I'm almost done with 6. God damn it doesn't let up. Still as fun now as it was in world 1.

ASTROID2

Bowser can't see me.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01j8r0k.jpg

SUU0rrF.jpg

THIS GAME IS JUST SO BEAUTIFUL
Just got through that area. Not easy on multiplayer. Makes me shudder thinking about similar stages from 3D Land

100'd Worlds 1 to 3. Finished 4-1 and calling it a night lol. Will say that outside of 2 levels in World 3, the game has been fairly easy.....

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Mii Ghosts are just not happening for me. I feel like I'm missing something.

I get them in 1-1, but nowhere else. Maybe the servers are getting slammed? You did unlock them, right?

EDIT: not sure about the tanooki suit deal. hopefully it's not like 3d land. Also, did anyone do the 1up trick in world 1-2? i am running with about 350 lives.

1up trick? Please expand on this, I'd love the insurance!

I'm in World 4 now.

I can't even begin. It's not QUITE as magical as Galaxy, but nothing will ever be that like for me (Galaxy was the first 3D Mario to 'click' with me, so it felt amazing).

The music requires special note in all levels, I think. They did a fantastic job with it overall. Everything just sounds so....it sounds like new-age Mario, almost. I love it.

Between this and Zelda, Nintendo owns my holiday.

Jagsrock

Banned
The game just keeps getting better. I keep telling myself "ok one more level and then bed" but I just can't put down the gamepad.

I get them in 1-1, but nowhere else. Maybe the servers are getting slammed? You did unlock them, right?

I unlocked them but I haven't gotten any yet. No big deal, it's probably the servers...I was just afraid I was supposed to do something to get them to work.

Tiktaalik

Finished the first world and I'm not feeling it so far. Slow start to this game?

It's certainly well crafted but it doesn't feel yet to be a real 10/10 mario game like the reviews suggest. Feels very NSMB at this point, and I'm in the camp that doesn't consider that a good thing...

That was probably one of the most satisfying final fights I've ever experienced in a Mario platformer. Well done, EAD Tokyo. Keep being awesome please.

Jagsrock

Banned
Finished the first world and I'm not feeling it so far. Slow start to this game?

It's certainly well crafted but it doesn't feel yet to be a real 10/10 mario game like the reviews suggest. Feels very NSMB at this point, and I'm in the camp that doesn't consider that a good thing...

dude keep going it only gets better. You'll see...

EulaCapra

Yesterday:

My Friend: (jokingly) You better unlock all the worlds and Rosalina when we come over and play!

Me: Ugh! It's gonna take me like 5 days for that!

12 hours later...

My Friends: WTF. You beat it already and unlocked her!?

Me: I guess I showed you...?

Oh lord. Time well spent but time spent too fast.

IMO the first two worlds are very 3D Land-y. e.g. if it didn't blow you away, they won't either. I'm in that boat -- less a Super Mario fan and more a Super Mario Galaxy fan, if I'm honest.

Worlds 3 and 4 (and everything else, I'd guess) are incredible. Got to the end of world 4 before turning in for tonight. So good.

Kureransu

Pretty much works like the 1up trick in Super Mario Bros. for the NES. get a turtle shell, fight a tight area and throw the shell and jump instantly. When you land on it it should pop up un and down on it over and over. the muliplier goes up until it hits 1up and just le it go til you're satisfied. here's pic of the area:

FSLink

Banned
The 1-up trick on 1-2 is hilarious with more than 1 player. So many 1-ups so fast.

EDIT: ^ I always did the trick right in front of the clear pipe, travels less distance, and if you can fit multiple players in there you can gain 1-ups even faster with some right positioning.

Malus

I had to force myself to stop after 5 1/2 hours. I think that's a good sign lol. Everything about this game is fucking excellent. It's even making me want to try NSMB2.

100% everything through World 4 so far. I'll leave the rest for the weekend. I can't say it's totally at the level as either Galaxy game (the soundtrack and artstyle are up there), but they've done a good job here. Ultimately I still think it would do them well to get away from the traditional "map and levels" structure in favor of shaking the formula up (this doesn't mean "open world"), but it's still a hell of a lot more memorable than anything from the "New" series, so there's that.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Pretty much works like the 1up trick in Super Mario Bros. for the NES. get a turtle shell, fight a tight area and throw the shell and jump instantly. When you land on it it should pop up un and down on it over and over. the muliplier goes up until it hits 1up and just le it go til you're satisfied. here's pic of the area:

The 1-up trick on 1-2 is hilarious with more than 1 player. So many 1-ups so fast.

EDIT: ^ I always did the trick right in front of the clear pipe, travels less distance, and if you can fit multiple players in there you can gain 1-ups even faster with some right positioning.

Ah, thanks guys. That ol' chestnut. I hadn't seen any place immediately obvious to make it work! WIll do ASAP!

Shinta

Banned
So I assume that means you like it better than 3D Land yes? How would you rank it so far compared to the rest of the series?

The level designs are on par with 3D Land in size and style. 3D Land has an edge at times because of the 3D too.

The graphics, quality and precision of controls, and music are on another level though in 3D World.

So far for me, I love the game, but it's not radically different from 3D Land. It has way more powerups though, and they all control very, very well. And 5 characters too.

AniHawk

So I assume that means you like it better than 3D Land yes? How would you rank it so far compared to the rest of the series?

on world 3 right now and it's at least better than 3d land. not sure if i'd put it over galaxy. i think it's easier than galaxy, but it lacks the really annoying little things that bugged me during galaxy.

still not as good as new super luigi u, but maybe it'll get there. on the plus side, the levels don't wear out their welcome- which was my major complaint regarding nsmbu.

(mat)

Had a lot of fun playing tonight. For those interested, my girlfriend and I played through the first two worlds (and almost all of the 3rd) on my Twitch channel. The videos are archived at twitch.tv/mtorchia if you wanna see us have a blast playing, and need to justify picking it up.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01huf91.jpg

I could have had more clones, but I think I panicked because I wasn't too good at the beatblocks when they were in Galaxy (hence why I chose Peach), and a few copies fell off of edges on the way here.

I like how you always control the last clone left if all of the others die!

Top Bottom