• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

The Boat

The level designs are on par with 3D Land in size and style. 3D Land has an edge at times because of the 3D too.

The graphics, quality and precision of controls, and music are on another level though in 3D World.

So far for me, I love the game, but it's not radically different from 3D Land. It has way more powerups though, and they all control very, very well. And 5 characters too.

I'd say it completely blows 3D Land out of the water in every single aspect and I love 3D Land. It's a huge step up.

. i think it's easier than galaxy,
Not even by a longshot. Galaxy 2 maybe, but even then I'd say they're about even, or this one might even be harder, but it's been a while since I played Galaxy 2,

mobius006

I'd say it completely blows 3D Land out of the water in every single aspect and I love 3D Land. It's a huge step up.

Not even by a longshot. Galaxy 2 maybe, but even then I'd say they're about even, or this one might even be harder, but it's been a while since I played Galaxy 2,
I wish this game was in 3d. Besides that it's just as good or better than Land. Which was already my favorite mario since SNES

on world 3 right now and it's at least better than 3d land. not sure if i'd put it over galaxy. i think it's easier than galaxy, but it lacks the really annoying little things that bugged me during galaxy.

still not as good as new super luigi u, but maybe it'll get there. on the plus side, the levels don't wear out their welcome- which was my major complaint regarding nsmbu.
Really hard for me to gauge the difficulty, because I am really good at Galaxy. I'm not nearly as good contending with the run button + no triple jump + no spin to bail out my errant long jumps + no backflip wallkick spin to shortcut everything.

So with that qualification, I'd say that through world 4 it's already quite a bit harder for me than Galaxy+2 ever were. Feels like 3D Land's second half so far, I suppose.

e: I should say that I am obviously disqualifying a certain Galaxy 2 level from this post

The Boat

I wish this game was in 3d. Besides that it's just as good or better than Land. Which was already my favorite mario since SNES

This is true, I'm missing 3D a lot, it's hard to gauge some jumps. Granted this has mostly happened to me in multiplayer which tends to be a clusterfuck :p

AniHawk

if it's easier than galaxy 2, then it's waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than galaxy. galaxy 1 was galaxy 2's tutorial.

AniHawk

Really hard for me to gauge the difficulty, because I am really good at Galaxy. I'm not nearly as good contending with the run button + no triple jump + no spin to bail out my errant long jumps + no backflip wallkick spin to shortcut everything.

So with that qualification, I'd say that through world 4 it's already quite a bit harder for me than Galaxy+2 ever were. Feels like 3D Land's second half so far, I suppose.

i think i'm really used to 2d mario and how it controls and what to expect from that sort of level design. it's that sort of familiarity that makes zelda games simple affairs for veterans, but tough as nails for newcomers. but overall i think this delivers on the promise of 3d land much much better than 3d land ever did. this actually feels like the 3d mario i thought i'd be playing when i was a kid.

i think i'm really used to 2d mario and how it controls and what to expect from that sort of level design. it's that sort of familiarity that makes zelda games simple affairs for veterans, but tough as nails for newcomers. but overall i think this delivers on the promise of 3d land much much better than 3d land ever did. this actually feels like the 3d mario i thought i'd be playing when i was a kid.
Totally agree with the second half. It really feels like what they were going for with 3D Land, but this time fully realized: old school Mario in 3 dimensions.

leroidys

Oh my god you guys. This game. It's like a love letter to SMB3 fans. I'm probably enjoying it even more considering I didn't play SM3DL first.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Streaming post-game content here in a moment:
http://www.twitch.tv/sixfortyfive

This is true, I'm missing 3D a lot, it's hard to gauge some jumps. Granted this has mostly happened to me in multiplayer which tends to be a clusterfuck :p
I couldn't see the 3D effect, so I was even more handicapped in 3D Land. I'm doing much better here when they don't expect you to have that at your disposal, even though this game takes the training wheels off quite a bit earlier than 3D Land.

Shinta

Banned
I'm starting world 5 now. So far it's been very easy. I don't have 100% stars though, and I am having one of the best gaming experiences of the year.

But it's been pretty carefree so far. NSMB U and NSL U are both more difficult so far.

Still plenty of time for them to turn up the heat though. I'm not worried. The game is a true masterpiece.

Yuripaw

Banned
I feel like this game is just so good, that I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said, lol. It's just so fun, and the levels are so great, that the only thing I don't enjoy about it, is that I keep wanting to play it so much that I'm afraid I'll beat it so fast that I'll be done with it all.

Miiverse integration for this game is simple, but I like it. The stamps are a really nice addition for those of us who aren't really good drawers. However I finally decided to contribute a little piece of my own finally, lol

zlCfzRMvhxwz7mjamP

I know, it's stupid, but i was giggling while making it ^_^

Shinta

Banned
I feel like this game is just so good, that I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said, lol. It's just so fun, and the levels are so great, that the only thing I don't enjoy about it, is that I keep wanting to play it so much that I'm afraid I'll beat it so fast that I'll be done with it all.
It does sound silly when you say it out loud. But pretty much my only true complaint is that the game has to end.

Miiverse integration for this game is simple, but I like it. The stamps are a really nice addition for those of us who aren't really good drawers. However I finally decided to contribute a little piece of my own finally, lol

zlCfzRMvhxwz7mjamP

I know, it's stupid, but i was giggling while making it ^_^

I made a couple drawings I'd love to show off here, but I have no idea how you guys are doing that.

I love MiiVerse. It's massively underrated.

Damaniel

Banned
I take back everything bad I sad about this game leading up to the release - 3D World is legit, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's worth getting a Wii U for, but if you already had one or two other games you were on the fence about, then 3D World is enough to tip the scales.

I've only played through the first world so far (and I'm still missing one green star...), but I like how every stage throws something different at you. And that soundtrack! What I've heard so far totally makes up for the constant recycled MIDI-level stuff that the NSMB games were using.

If you have a Wii U and you don't have this game, find it and buy it. Seriously. I have a brand new PS4 sitting around, unused, and instead I'm running Mario around in a a cat suit.

(EDIT: I managed to knock a shell on top of a pipe between two ledges in 1-2 and rack up 700 lives with the jump trick before the timer ran out. Guess lives aren't going to be an issue going forward... ;) )

The Boat

I'm starting world 5 now. So far it's been very easy. I don't have 100% stars though, and I am having one of the best gaming experiences of the year.

But it's been pretty carefree so far. NSMB U and NSL U are both more difficult so far.

Still plenty of time for them to turn up the heat though. I'm not worried. The game is a true masterpiece.

I don't think it's even in the same ballpark as Galaxy difficulty wise, it's definitely harder. Granted, it's been harder because I've been playing a lot in multi. NSMB U is harder though, yeah.

Raptomex

Is it just me or does the music in the first ghost house remind anyone else of a holocaust movie like Schindler's List?

roknin

Just got to world 6 and decided to stop for the night. The game just keeps getting better.

What really scares me is that they have so many concepts that they can nearly afford to throw each one away after every level.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Some of the stuff in these levels would have their own games based around them. Hell, I want a full Captain Toad game right the hell now and I've only done two of them. And yet, they're like "Oh hmm hmm *snooty laugh* here have this novel concept for this level... oh you've beaten that one? Here, take this level as well, just thought up a new mechanic.. Hmm yes hmm. Oh that old one? So outdated, we did that one level ago hmm yes hmm..."

...I don't want this game to end, ever D:

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I take back everything bad I sad about this game leading up to the release - 3D World is legit, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's worth getting a Wii U for, but if you already had one or two other games you were on the fence about, then 3D World is enough to tip the scales.

I've only played through the first world so far (and I'm still missing one green star...), but I like how every stage throws something different at you. And that soundtrack! What I've heard so far totally makes up for the constant recycled MIDI-level stuff that the NSMB games were using.

If you have a Wii U and you don't have this game, find it and buy it. Seriously. I have a brand new PS4 sitting around, unused, and instead I'm running Mario around in a a cat suit.

(EDIT: I managed to knock a shell on top of a pipe between two ledges in 1-2 and rack up 700 lives with the jump trick before the timer ran out. Guess lives aren't going to be an issue going forward... ;) )
Go for the max amount (1110).

Seik

Banned
I think 5-7 is my favorite level so far (I'm a 6-1 and I need to sleep soon. =_=).

The music, the level itself was wonderful. EAD delivers.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm almost done setting up, but I imagine I will have a ton of Wii U updates and stuff.

Another potentially stupid question: When I turn the gamepad upside down, I hear an audible rattle in the top right corner. Is this normal? It's not the stylus since I tried taking it out, but I am guessing it may be a rumble motor. *edit* I think I'm dumb and part of it was the buttons. I think there's still some sort of vague internal loose part too though, probably the motor.

knkng

Another potentially stupid question: When I turn the gamepad upside down, I hear an audible rattle in the top right corner. Is this normal? It's not the stylus since I tried taking it out, but I am guessing it may be a rumble motor.

Not sure what it is, but it's in my controller as well, so I doubt it's a broken piece or anything like that.

I plan on using that link as a one stop shop response for the arguments that this game isn't imaginative or fresh enough. I'm really blown away just by how nonchalant this game is about just throwing vastly different level design concepts at you at every single turn and how surprisingly well the art style works. 3D Land this ain't

I love all these little Luigi hidden things in this game. For a second it creeped me out thinking it was like one of those things in the boo mansion from 3d Land or the ghouls from that Lava world in Galaxy 2. That always faced you when you looked up at the mountains then I finally say Luigi and everything was alright.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016qk6l.jpg

Woke up randomly, couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to play a few more levels.

So far – and I'm still in World 4 – I'd say the worst design decision of the game is the timer. I hadn't noticed it because I wasn't going through the levels too deeply, but I did notice it in a few recently. I don't understand why it's there. The game is fun enough on its own without the additional challenge, so why bother? The timer is kinda mitigated by checkpoints: if you die, you go back to a checkpoint and you have more than enough time to finish a level, but that's one life wasted.

The level design, what I really like about it, is that if it's not non-linear (as in, more than one path to get to the end goal), it's still offers a lot of choice through power-ups and little things to discover. Even though these levels are smaller, I feel like there's more to discover than what was in your typical Galaxy level.

Played this tonight at a friends and man was it fun and chaotic with 4 players. The crown is basically a mark for team kill/injure. Everybody tried to steal the crown from the player who last obtained it. Loved what I played so far.

I just ordered this game and Wind Waker HD, so I can't wait until it comes next week. It's perfect since it will arrive on time as I pick up the Wii U next week.

NEO0MJ

I was wondering, how does the game control with the Wiimote+analog? Is there any shakign required? Also, does the wii CCP work with this game? I didn't see it in that picture so I'm not sure.

I was wondering, how does the game control with the Wiimote+analog? Is there any shakign required? Also, does the wii CCP work with this game? I didn't see it in that picture so I'm not sure.

It works fantastic with the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. There's no shaking (and I'm kind of glad for that).

Not

Banned
Well thats already 2 great games that may interest you.

How about monster hunter or NSMBU (NSLU), ZombiU or DKC Tropical Freeze.

Excited for Tropical Freeze, but I'll still probably hold off on a Wii U until either Smash Bros or Zelda. Those are my favorite Nintendo franchises-- one has the unlocking and multiplayer stuff I love, the other has the best story.

Excited for Tropical Freeze, but I'll still probably hold off on a Wii U until either Smash Bros or Zelda. Those are my favorite Nintendo franchises-- one has the unlocking and multiplayer stuff I love, the other has the best story.

Waiting for a Nintendo game with a good story?

Gross. It's all about the gameplay.

Krabboss

Well thats already 2 great games that may interest you.

How about monster hunter or NSMBU (NSLU), ZombiU or DKC Tropical Freeze.

How much of a cut do you get every time you sell a Wii U?

What's the word on support for the original classic controller? Haven't been following the thread a ton after the game released in the US so I haven't seen any sorta confirmation.

Seems more like it's about the spectacle and nostalgia with 3D World. I'm down for that, but I hope the whole game isn't a joke in terms of difficulty.

Not

Banned

Yeah, I've heard it before. Story and customization are the best part of games. Exploration is third, but it tends to bring out my almost-ocd.

How much of a cut do you get every time you sell a Wii U?

Obviously nothing. However it has great games that people just overlook due to its troubles this past year and that makes me sad.

Well Zelda Windwaker HD is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom