• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

NEO0MJ

It works fantastic with the Wiimote + Nunchuck combo. There's no shaking (and I'm kind of glad for that).

Great to know, as I love the grip of the wiimote+nunchuck combo and been itcing to try out my new M&L wiimotes. Plus I think its octagon-gate will work better with the game.

Are you guys in this thread here to troll the Wii U? Seriously you are waiting for a game to get you excited about getting a Wii U. Still?

Go somewhere else it is not our job to sell you on the platform let us enjoy the OT for this game

Seems more like it's about the spectacle and nostalgia with 3D World. I'm down for that, but I hope the whole game isn't a joke in terms of difficulty.

Well I'm at the end of the third world and although it isn't exactly a hard game, I have died quite a bit while collecting all of the green stars. Maybe it's easy for someone who's absolutely phenomenal at platformers, but it isn't a total pushover. Plus, it can only get more challenging from here, right?

Seems more like it's about the spectacle and nostalgia with 3D World. I'm down for that, but I hope the whole game isn't a joke in terms of difficulty.

Not true at all. The gameplay is simply superb. The game continues to throw new ideas at you in every single level until the very end of the game, and not one of the stages feels rushed or unpolished at all.

There is a lot of nostalgia, yes, but there is SO much new stuff as well that it doesn't feel like the game relies on it.

Also, the game is definitely pretty tough as far as Mario games go. I'd say it's probably about the same, maybe a little easier, than Galaxy 2. One thing I really liked, though, is that the game doesn't throw 1ups at you all the time like most recent Mario games. It compels you to actually try to collect coins.

Nicktendo86

I know this gets thrown around way too much but some if the screenshots you guys are posting mame me say for the first time, this looks like a Pixar movie. Does it loom as good in motion?

Eusis

It's not really 8-way movement (except I think on the world map). There's more diagonals in there. Not full-analog, but it's not really affecting the gameplay noticeably. The main difference in controls is that there's two speeds of dashing, and the fastest one doesn't kick in immediately.
It seems like a smoother version of what NiGHTS initially had in the HD release. Difference being that NiGHTS was a game built around full 360 degree control, while SM3DW obviously wasn't.

Feindflug

I know this gets thrown around way too much but some if the screenshots you guys are posting mame me say for the first time, this looks like a Pixar movie. Does it loom as good in motion?

It should look much better in motion because it runs at 60fps.

Guys I can't stop checking this thread, reading all the love about the game and seeing those beautiful screenshots that you post is addicting! :p

Ok so I got l home yesterday and played the first two levels. Then I got a call, went out with my friends, and now I'm home debating whether it not to continue or get a good nights rest and continue tomorrow. In still pretty drunk which may make the experience better or worse, I'm not sure.

The first two levels were fucking amazing btw, this game is going to be some god damn magic on a stick.

japtor

Haven't beaten the game yet, but I have gotten to
the Carnival World
. As far as level design and power-ups and creativity and variety and fun and content (considering where I'm at and how much more there will be for me to play) and music (yes even music : P ), I'd say this game is certainly equal to Galaxy and Galaxy 2. Honestly the only things missing are gravity mechanics and dialogue. Nobody talks to you in this game, so there's fewer cutscenes and new characters. It does make the game feel less "grand". But what I'm doing in the levels is equally as fun as anything I did in Galaxy.
I started Galaxy 2 earlier this week and the cutscenes and talking were the worst part for me, the game just won't shut up :p. (And then there's the coin/starbit collecting. And level selection process. And power ups as mandatory items. And minor stars ending levels forcing you to repeat the level for the regular star. And probably other stuff.)
Woke up randomly, couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to play a few more levels.

So far – and I'm still in World 4 – I'd say the worst design decision of the game is the timer. I hadn't noticed it because I wasn't going through the levels too deeply, but I did notice it in a few recently. I don't understand why it's there. The game is fun enough on its own without the additional challenge, so why bother? The timer is kinda mitigated by checkpoints: if you die, you go back to a checkpoint and you have more than enough time to finish a level, but that's one life wasted.

The level design, what I really like about it, is that if it's not non-linear (as in, more than one path to get to the end goal), it's still offers a lot of choice through power-ups and little things to discover. Even though these levels are smaller, I feel like there's more to discover than what was in your typical Galaxy level.
I've had a few deaths from the timer too. I remember everyone thinking the levels would be short enough that the timer would be ample, apparently not if you're scouring the level for anything and everything!

I was talking to a friend about the game and described the levels were "deceptively large." It's a nice balance, I like it better than any of the other 3D Marios. There's usually enough there to spend a bunch of time in a level, but you can also blast through it if you want to. And every level is different vs reusing chunks of a level multiple times for different stars.
I was wondering, how does the game control with the Wiimote+analog? Is there any shakign required? Also, does the wii CCP work with this game? I didn't see it in that picture so I'm not sure.
I couldn't get used to it cause the run button. I mean it was fine for running (i.e. just hold it down) but it's also used for the usual power up stuff and also the roll move. It's the repeated pressing and timing that felt awkward. Of course I have like 20+ years of Mario muscle memory to deal with there so ymmv.

Blizzard

Banned
I got everything updated and running. Hopefully I am using the right settings to upload screenshots. I picked the top of the two screen options:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01imfxd.jpg

I'm absolutely loving this game, it's totally amazing, but I think Nintendo has hammered out so many Mario games of late that... I dunno, I kind of feel like if I didn't play 3D Land and NSMB2 and NSMBU that I would like it even more. I'm not saying that it's a carbon copy of those, because it isn't, but regardless there's an air of familiarity and this pervading sense of "I just got through doing this."

Then again, if Nintendo had made Mario Galaxy 3, I'm sure I would have felt the same way. Again nothing to do with the quality of the game or my enjoyment, it's astounding in so many ways and a huge treat to play, but I just think there have been too many fucking Mario games so close together. In this case I feel like there's actually been too much of a good thing.

BUT, I'm still early in the game and to be fair I was in a bad mood yesterday because of dreading a long shift at work, so maybe I'll warm up to it even more later today.

vall03

Ugh, went to a store earlier today and the only Wii U left seems to be defective with blinking lights. Now I have to wait until tomorrow or maybe even go to another shop and get the Zelda or the NSMBU bundle. I should be playing the game right now! Fuck!

Kokonoe

Banned
I like that they threw in some Mario 64 stuff in this.

Climbing up trees
The way you hop off the trees
Long jump
Side jump

There may be more, but I love when Mario has his 64 moves.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a trick to getting cleaner screenshots like I think some people posted? I disabled Miiverse and was uploading directly through the web browser, which produces this:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bpkon.jpg

I'm curious if the Miiverse method is cleaner, or if they're identical.

Is there a trick to getting cleaner screenshots like I think some people posted? I disabled Miiverse and was uploading directly through the web browser, which produces this:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bpkon.jpg

I'm curious if the Miiverse method is cleaner, or if they're identical.

You don't have to disable Miiverse.

Miiverse screens are at the Gamepad's resolution, so they come out smaller.

Ugh, went to a store earlier today and the only Wii U left seems to be defective with blinking lights. Now I have to wait until tomorrow or maybe even go to another shop and get the Zelda or the NSMBU bundle. I should be playing the game right now! Fuck!

was that a small store? sound strange

Mupod

Fuck it, remembered I had like 20 bucks in eshop credit from the deluxe digital and bought this. A bunch of people are here for the weekend so I want to try out the multiplayer...so I can use my old classic controller pro? Looks like nobody will be stuck with just a wiimote then.

And oh man the 5 bucks I get back from this is going right into the ace attorney dlc.

D-e-f-

Banned
I like that they threw in some Mario 64 stuff in this.

Climbing up trees
The way you hop off the trees
Long jump
Side jump

There may be more, but I love when Mario has his 64 moves.

? I don't know about trees but you could climb poles in the Galaxy games and hop off them just like this. The long jump has been in all 3D Marios and I don't know what the side-jump is supposed to be.

zroid

Banned
I should drop by Best Buy today and see if they sold any Wii Us. When I went to pick up my copy of 3D World yesterday morning for the Xbone early opening, they had numerous Skylanders, NSMBU, and even some Wind Waker bundles piled high spread across several stacks. Let's see if those piles have shrunk at all...

Blizzard

Banned
I finished the first world. Mario games are always nearly too hard for me, it would seem. :p I got a game over since I kept repeatedly dying due to diving in a gap between two ledges. I must have no depth perception.

Then later I had the leaf of shame block appear, I think on the first castle level.

11redder

? I don't know about trees but you could climb poles in the Galaxy games and hop off them just like this. The long jump has been in all 3D Marios and I don't know what the side-jump is supposed to be.
Sunshine didn't have the long jump, but didn't really need it due to the FLUDD.

I should drop by Best Buy today and see if they sold any Wii Us. When I went to pick up my copy of 3D World yesterday morning for the Xbone early opening, they had numerous Skylanders, NSMBU, and even some Wind Waker bundles piled high spread across several stacks. Let's see if those piles have shrunk at all...

that would be great anecdotal evidence to know about. looking forward to it.

zroid

Banned
I finished the first world. Mario games are always nearly too hard for me, it would seem. :p I got a game over since I kept repeatedly dying due to diving in a gap between two ledges. I must have no depth perception.

Then later I had the leaf of shame block appear, I think on the first castle level.

I had a block of shame appear twice in the first world :(

I forget where it happened the first time, but the second was in the castle; it was mainly because I kept cat diving off the edge of the stage, lol.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

please do it, make me feel the pain

EhoaVash

depth perception is killing me so many times since I'm playing with my brother and the screen keeps stretching out, at this point to get past a level I have to use the gamepad screen to see properly for platforming correctly =/

still enjoying the game even if multiplayer is making it one of the hardest marios I've played since everyone shares the same lives >.< ( my brother sucks, keeps dying wasting 1-ups)

Zing

Banned
I have 100% world 1 and am almost done with world 2. I find this game much, much easier than NSMBU. I've died twice so far here.

I'm using the gamepad now. I find the analog stick to be slightly better for controls. I had a bit of trouble being accurate with just the d-pad. My daughter had some trouble also. I'll have her try the nunchuck next time.

Also, I feel like a dumbass. I thought the crowns on the flags were caused by finishing the stage while wearing the crown in multiplayer. Then I noticed I had some crown flags in my single player game. It's just the princess' flag!

Top Bottom