• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

jonno394

Damn, just read about the worlds and post game stuff, and now the decision whether to go with a PS4 at xmas or a Wii U is even harder.

Damn, just read about the worlds and post game stuff, and now the decision whether to go with a PS4 at xmas or a Wii U is even harder.

WiiU now Ps4 when the games come out (for example when second son comes out)

I mean if you like Mario NSMBU (and NSLU) are the best 2D Mario games ever made and SM3DW seem to be a contender for best 3D mario game.

You can get many of the PS4 games also on WiiU (Ass4, Call of Duty Ghosts) and there are some other really good games too (Monster Hunter Ultimate, Lego City, W101, Pikmin 3 to name a few)

jonno394

WiiU now Ps4 when the games come out (for example when second son comes out)

I mean if you like Mario NSMBU (and NSLU) are the best 2D Mario games ever made and SM3DW seem to be a contender for best 3D mario game.

You can get many of the PS4 games also on WiiU (Ass4, Call of Duty Ghosts) and there are some other really good games too (Monster Hunter Ultimate, Lego City, W101, Pikmin 3 to name a few)

Well I was toying with a budget of £450 for the PS4, but that could get me a Wii U with NSMBU/NSLU, 3D World, Wind Waker HD, a 2DS and A link between worlds......either way it'll be a nice christmas present for myself lol.

Just watching that twitch feed, I love the music :)

Well I was toying with a budget of £450 for the PS4, but that could get me a Wii U with NSMBU/NSLU, 3D World, Wind Waker HD, a 2DS and A link between worlds......

that sounds like a good plan imho. especially the 2DS part. there are so many great games on 2DS and i think there is a promo where you can get free Mario 3D Land too
you can do it sixfortyfive

i think he is past the breaking point.

Deku Tree

This thread moves too fast. I loved galaxy buy I am very happy to be playing a 3D Mario on a console with a regular controller again.

Chucker

I need to find that Ghost House music, I hate ghost houses usually but that music makes me want to hang out in one.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy VI music for some reason.

On the third world and so far I'm having a blast. For what this game set out to do, a super focused fast paced platformer, it is killing it. Absolutely perfect in that regard.

But I'm feeling like I would like more freedom. For starters, the timer doesn't add anything to pretty much any level. It's arbitrary and just forces you to not just play around in one area. I want to be allowed to go back and just enjoy being in a level.

Multiplayer is very fun, but a lot of the time is spent trying to play catch up. Each player having their own screen would have been nice. Online play would have been much better for that.

JakeD

every time i hear mario say "meow" i think of the sopranos episode where adrianna tries to manage the awful band, and the singer meows in a song

oh, and this game is amazing so far

I finished the first world. Mario games are always nearly too hard for me, it would seem. :p I got a game over since I kept repeatedly dying due to diving in a gap between two ledges. I must have no depth perception.

Then later I had the leaf of shame block appear, I think on the first castle level.

I consider myself really good at Mario but that depth perception is a killer. You think you're about to land onto a platform but Cat sky pounce into an abyss away from the screen. Its hilarious but could be frustating. First. Cough. Scrolling. Stage. Cough.

batbeg

I couldn't resist and am watching the stream now. That looks brutal and I am now terrified of continuing in this game :( I also agree with the others saying he needs to jump back one block instead of walljumping though :p

Mecca

I played up to world 2 last night. You can tell Nintendo put a lot of work into this game. There is so much pretty to look at in each level. During the first few levels I almost ran out of time because I was just walking around looking at everything..

Why does it look like fire is coming out of Mario's ass when you want to run fast? That was a bit weird to see the first time.

I hate the double cherry. Maybe I'll grow to love it as I progress through the game, but so far it's just an annoyance I could do without. Keeping track of multiple versions of yourself in an already crowded level isn't much fun.

I love the cat suit, although I think I still need to get used to the controls. I find myself accidentally running up walls often. Being a cat owner myself, the attention to detail makes it that more entertaining.

batbeg

That home menu came up and I swear I heard someone in the distance just screaming their head off. I've never witnessed a videogame break a man before :(

Andrew.

Banned
3-2 is kicking my ass trying to collect everything. Its really hard to gauge those jumps to connect. I think I might have to switch to Peachy Keen.

That last death
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

645 pls

3-2 is kicking my ass trying to collect everything. Its really hard to gauge those jumps to connect. I think I might have to switch to Peachy Keen.
I think the reason why I kiss some jumps in this game is because the characters run a lot slower, so there's not as much momentum behind the jump.

Some thoughts after playing a few more levels.

1) I realised how I could use all the characters in a single player. I almost never get the 3 stars, stamp and golden flag in one play through of a level. Mario the first time and the other characters for the subsequent attempts is fun.

2) The timer was ok on a handheld but when the levels are this nice and there are secrets to find, it now feels like a hindrance.

3) Seeing ghost Miis creep around on all fours without wearing a cat suit is hilarious.

WatTsu

This game is pretty amazing. I especially like its sense of humor, specifically
the shadow "Bowser" in Shadowplay Alley

Top Bottom