• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

zroid

Banned
ifstQCJmKHoiU.jpg

This game is something else.. My jaw is constantly on the floor!

/bow Nintendo!!

Oh and the music!! When you go under water and it subtly changes to underwater music. Damn.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That Chain Link Fence level in World 3...I was wondering if people had problems with it. Particularly getting the second star between the two fences and making it back, cost me like 20 lives.

Missing out Stars/Flags on Scrolling Levels is painful since you have to wait for the screen to move.

When does the propeller head become available? I want that green star at the end of 3-1 and its buggin the crap out of me.

It's hidden near a tree at the beginning.

Andrew.

Banned
That Chain Link Fence level in World 3...I was wondering if people had problems with it. Particularly getting the second star between the two fences and making it back, cost me like 20 lives

Me too. Several game overs. I found it was much easier with Peach because of brief floating time.

Thanks for the propeller location!

Beats

That Chain Link Fence level in World 3...I was wondering if people had problems with it. Particularly getting the second star between the two fences and making it back, cost me like 20 lives.

Yeah, that one took me a few tries. Probably would have been easier to get with Peach lol.

Doorman

Got the game yesterday after work and managed to plow through the first two worlds and a couple levels of W3 before breaking for the night. I'm heading out later to meet with some friends, really looking forward to glorious multiplayer!

Sometimes it's the subtle things that make me happiest. For some reason I'm really amused by Mario and Luigi's top speed animations, it looks like they're power-jogging their way through levels. Then I finally played as Peach and audibly laughed.
Still, just as I'd expected, my favorite character to play as so far has been Toad. Once you hit second gear and break out dat Toad Speed...it just feels good.

Really loving this game, I'm gonna have to start hunting for Green Stars so I can unlock the next level.

Co-op is super fun as well, it's a shame there's no online.

mf luder

My questions got lost in the flood of messages so: Does the length of the long jump depend on wether your running or not? And from the vids I've watched it seems like its pretty much full analog control when walking or in the air until you hold down the run button when it becomes 8 way, is this the case?

Zing

Banned
So how does this game control if someone has just Wiimote? I currently don't own any WiiU Pro Controllers just wii motes/nunchucks and 2 classic controllers for wii. Worried that my friends controls won't be as good if I don't have 3 more pro controllers
I initially used just remote and it did feel a little difficult to be accurate when jumping. Just use a nunchuck and your problems are solved.

Yuterald

Oh my god at World 2-2 music. I'm cool with the OST after hearing that piece. Does it really get better? At peace with the world kind of shit. Game is so fucking incredible so far.

My questions got lost in the flood of messages so: Does the length of the long jump depend on wether your running or not? And from the vids I've watched it seems like its pretty much full analog control when walking or in the air until you hold down the run button when it becomes 8 way, is this the case?

The long jump length does depend if you're running. Its full analog in air, not sure about walking.

Im happy they brought the long jump mechanic in this game. Its fun to do, and a key to master for speed runs.

This game has so many ridiculously great one-offs it's not even funny. I swear, there's more ideas crammed in the first 2 worlds than most games have in their entire span. Really mind boggling stuff.

Mind=blown.

And cat Mario is the cutest thing ever, particularly when crouching or swimming underwater. The puffed out cheeks thing is a great little touch.

Game feels ALIVE.

oatmeal

Banned
The game is incredible, I just have one teeny tiny minuscule problem with it...it is the EPITOME of nitpicking, only because nothing else wrong with it (other than the terrible safari pop-in...wtf?)

Anyway, I hate that it autosaves after every level and you have to wait and then press A. It should just be a background thing.

That's it.

That's my only beef....other than the pop-in on the safari level (wtf).

Haven't beaten it yet, but I've been playing single and two player and this game is really something special. It lacks some the novelty and grandness that Galaxy had, but I have to say I prefer it.

I'd compare it to playing Mario 3 as a child. It's not new, same basic formula as what came before but more polished, more playful, and simply more fun. For me at least, it's the pinnacle of 3D Mario. This or Fire Emblem: Awakening is GOTY for me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not sure if this beats Last of Us as my GOTY, but if not it's a solid second place.

Overall I think SMG 1 and 2 are more kind of "blow you away" games in terms of scope and gameplay. But for "not-SMG" this is EASILY the best Mario game since SM64.

I guess I would say this is as good as those three other games, they just all have their parts that they do better. Mario 64 took Mario to 3D. SMG took Mario to a much more free roaming 3D. This puts Mario back on the ground and changes things yet again. Almost like a truer version of the 2D Mario games brought to 3D. Overall significantly better multiplayer than any NSMB as well.

Anyway, 10/10 which is amazing considering when they announced and showed it everyone was disappointed. Yeah every great once in a while Nintendo can still give us what we need, not what we want.

Linkhero1

Spent a good few hours with the game last night. Made it halfway through World 3. The music in this game is outstanding. I loved the Ghost House in World 3. I still feel like I'm progressing pretty slow but I have OCD about collecting everything, checking every nook and cranny, and grabbing the top of the flag pole. This prevents me from moving on and returning later :(

So I have an unopened copy of Knack I got in that Amazon B2G1F deal.

What are the chances I can take this back to a Walmart with some BS story and have them exchange it for SM3dWorld?

Linkhero1

Something I realized while playing 3D World is that my platforming skills have waned. I wasn't able to beat Super Luigi U or Donkey Kong Country Returns because of this either :(

When going for the flag pole does anyone else accidentally press down on ZL, thinking they can do that spinning move from NSMB U, only to ground pound? I've been conditioned to always do this. I always do it in every stage.

Someone needs to rip the soundtrack...:(

I need that Ghost house music.

One of my favorite new tracks. I was wowed. Cannot wait to hear more of the later stages.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
When going for the flag pole does anyone else accidentally press down on ZL, thinking they can do that spinning move from NSMB U, only to ground pound? I've been conditioned to always do this. I always do it in every stage.
I've killed myself a few times doing this.

Andrew.

Banned
Something I realized while playing 3D World is that my platforming skills have waned. I wasn't able to beat Super Luigi U or Donkey Kong Country Returns because of this either :(

Me too man, me too. I have the same problem with the the ZL/RL but for me I end up ground pounding in mid jump and I fall to my death. Has happened a good handful. Especially in 3-2.

Edit: Peach makes 3-4 a cakewalk.

aza

After playing this with a group of friends for 4 hours last night, I can say that this is the most fun I've had with a local multiplayer game since Super Smash Bros. Melee. I didn't expect it to be so competitive.

clem84

Gold Member
Sorry for the noob question but I was just wondering.

Can the game be played with a Wii classic controller plugged into a Wiimote? I'm bringing the WiiU to a friend's house tonight and I plan on playing with (1)Gamepad, (2)WiiU classic controller pro, (3 & 4) Wiimote + Wii classic controller X 2. Will that work?

Linkhero1

Sorry for the noob question but I was just wondering.

Can the game be played with a Wii classic controller plugged into a Wiimote? I'm bringing the WiiU to a friend's house tonight and I plan on playing with (1)Gamepad, (2)WiiU classic controller pro, (3 & 4) Wiimote + Wii classic controller X 2. Will that work?

I think Wii Classic Controller should work fine since the Wii Classic Controller Pro controller works. I haven't tested it myself since I've only played single player with the GamePad.

Edit: This is not true. The original Wii Classic Controller DOES NOT work with the Super Mario 3D World. Only the Wii Classic Controller Pro

Edit 2: Apparently it does work lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just packed my 3 kids in the car and we're off to Gamestop. I'm totally doing this only for my kids... haha. Yeah right! They better wait their turn!

Top Bottom