• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

doraemoe

Finished another course, name: Math Class

lLuleCA.jpg

As you can guess, you need to solve mathmatical problems. Please have a try, any feedback is appreciated.

A822-0000-0036-6108

Burbeting

Banned
Uploaded my first level, partly to test the maker, and partly to prove myself that you can make fun enough level with just Level-1 stuff available to you.

Can you find all 100 coins?
ID: 5518-0000-0036-4818

In short, the level is very easy to finish, and it can be done in less than 30 seconds if you want. The real "meat" of the level is to try and gather all 100 coins that have been scattered all across the level. I tried to create obstacles that could be done with just the initial tools you are given as you launch the game the first time, so don't expect anything really complex.

I might try the concept again when I have all tools available.

Because objects are spawned when you're within close enough range, rather than when the level/area is loaded, it can cause problems.

Agree that this limits what you can do in terms of the bigger picture, but it's how Mario level design usually works, no? I spawned a 1up shroom that appears when you get near it, and have to chase it. If it loaded everything at the start, that shroom would already have gone by the time the player reaches it. :(

Stoze

I touched on this before, but I want to express my extreme disappointment as to the way objects are spawned, and how it can completely ruin some really good ideas.

Completely agree. Stuff spawning out of pipes really feels off-sync in this game, whether it be items or piranha plants. I've pretty much stayed away from putting them in my levels so far because of it.

Robin64

On the topic of spawning, most of it is fine, but pipes are horribly broken. Many times I've missed that people have power ups coming from them just because I'm almost way past the pipe before it happens. And plants in them, forget it, you either rush through the level and ignore them before they have a chance to spawn, or wait around and see if one will appear.

How are people getting big clean screenshots?

Just open the web browser on the Wii U and upload to your image host of choice. I use abload.de because they don't compress.

-MB-

You mean enter a pipe to get into a sublevel, then enter another pipe in the sublevel and come out elsewhere in the main level? Because that's entirely possible.

Is it? Because when I tried to make put in another pipe in the sublevel, all it did was cancel the entrance one and had me put the other end of the second pipe in the main level.
Is it an unlockable? Because I have all items unlocked already.

Stoze

Agree that this limits what you can do in terms of the bigger picture, but it's how Mario level design usually works, no? I spawned a 1up shroom that appears when you get near it, and have to chase it. If it loaded everything at the start, that shroom would already have gone by the time the player reaches it. :(

Try making a long bridge out of left to right moving platforms that moving in a set pattern for jumping, or a track with platforms or objects placed equidistant from each other; none of it syncs up right when you hit play, yet this stuff worked out perfectly in other Mario games.

Kinda the only thing in the game that feels like it doesn't work properly.

JRBechard

ZDY9S2y.jpg

Raid Bowser's Floating Fort - 9DEF-0000-0033-41C8

This one got buried, I don't think many people got to try it. In this level you climb up a 5 level tower with destructible walls up to a boss battle on the top. There's also 2 hidden coin rooms.
I think it's pretty challenging without being cheap, I had bigger ideas but without a checkpoint it got way too hard; I'd like to have some feedback on it's difficulty to know how I should build future levels.

Also these are my past levels:
Return to Subcon - 3584-0000-0029-2568 (Mario 2's 1-1)
Highly Populated Pit - BBB8-0000-001A-8E1F (A short SMB level with dropping platform)
Stumbly Narrows - FE37-0000-0019-7424 (My first level, just a simple one with an alternate path)

ramparter

Banned
How can I get screenshots of my level? I've seen some really sharp ones on here and I'd like to do the same! I made extra effort to really decorate my level so want to do it justice with some grabs.

Vine Dungeon
F898-0000-0034-201D

It's a carefully Zelda style dungeon, items are found and required to progress further. It's also quite forgiving, you'll have to retry rooms but probably won't die.
Most people get them from miiverse posts, but you don't get to select the part of the level.

Example post https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnSp-LqQ

I guess everyone here has experienced this, but it can also be fun to adapt to the limitations of the editor. It forces you to be even more creative and can lead to new ideas.

It's almost like a puzzle game in its own right.

Things not working the way they should restricts options. Fewer options means less creativity, as it makes certain things completely impossible.

I had a great idea. Two, actually. I can't do them now, so I don't see how it can be argued that this leads to new ideas when it actively prohibits them.

It also leads to situations where you create something that works fine until you start Mario from a distance away, and then approach it, at which point your setup is completely broken. So you can spend ages working on something that won't even work in the end, resulting in a lot of wasted time. Unless you repeatedly start Mario well before you need him to be, and make your way back to whatever you're testing. Which is tedious and unintuitive. And also a waste of time.

Super Mario Maker is fun because it makes creating levels simple. Having to acknowledge technical limitations and work around them when the game should be more than capable of loading everything at once (I was using the SMB1 tileset) goes against that entirely, and is inexcuseable.

That's certainly true, but there should be an option as to when to spawn objects then in that case. And even if that were not possible, I'd rather have to work around the problem scenario you raised than things as they are currently. At least your scenario can be easily resolved by placing items inside a ? block.

Alpha_eX

Thanks all who replied, I rarely use my Wii U so didn't know this was a thing! Will upload some grabs for my level later, I think it looks quite unique so want to show it off.

So I am trying to make a Ghost House level, but I cannot figure out how the doors work. Basically I want to have one door lead to a sub area. But how do I do that? When I place a door it automatically places two doors and they lead to one another.

Tried recreating the original DKC's Jungle Hyjinxs, with the classic SMB style naturally so you could play as DK and eventually Diddy if you rescue him. Recreated everything from bonus rooms to handslap-secrets now being secret blocks with coins. Rambi died and reincarnated as a starman. Hopefully people dig this throw back!

E22E-0000-0035-DC5E

So I am trying to make a Ghost House level, but I cannot figure out how the doors work. Basically I want to have one door lead to a sub area. But how do I do that? When I place a door it automatically places two doors and they lead to one another.
From what I can see they can't. If the sub area's also going to be a Ghost House theme you could maybe have a warp pipe (which is the only way to have a proper sub-area) and just build separate rooms that give off the allusion of leading to different areas while technically being the same map.

I don't have the game yet, but couldn't you move the second door to where you want the first door to lead to?

Robin64

You can't have a door to sub area.

Basically pipes go between sub areas but doors go between places in the current area.

I really didn't plan to make a level. But then I fired up the maker section last night and a hour later I came out with a slightly modified version of the basic level they start you with....ok this is kinda fun. Can't wait to unlock more stuff!

TheMoon

What I don't like about that Metroid U 2 level is that it's super annoying when you die because there are no checkpoints. That's what bothers me about these suuuper long levels with convoluted progress gating. Gave up on it.

BooJoh

Is it? Because when I tried to make put in another pipe in the sublevel, all it did was cancel the entrance one and had me put the other end of the second pipe in the main level.
Is it an unlockable? Because I have all items unlocked already.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

You have area 1 (main level) and area 2 (sub level)

You can have multiple pipes that lead from area 1 to area 2 and vice versa. A pipe in area 1 can't exit in area 1, and a door in area 1 can only exit in area 1.

You should be able to drag Mario onto a second pipe in area 2, and it will bring up area 1 and ask you to place the exit pipe. Once you do that you should have two pipes in area 1 that lead to two other pipes in area 2.

Robin64

What I don't like about that Metroid U 2 level is that it's super annoying when you die because there are no checkpoints. That's what bothers me about these suuuper long levels with convoluted progress gating. Gave up on it.

Agree completely. I end up stopping short too because I'll die near the end and just think.. gotta do allll that again? Nah.

Nintenleo

After the appreciated Sky Pirates Never Die, I published my new stage: A Sort of Homecoming

Mario has to come back home! There are many roads to reach it and if you can't find the secret doors, you'll have to use some strange robo-koopas as bridges and finally reach your lovely home...sort of.

I had a lot of fun building it, I hope you'll feel good playing it at least one time. To fully appreciate every path, it requires at least a couple of tries, but it's not a long level at all.

WVW69iYvA4YG8Jivxy

A Sort of Homecoming (9055-0000-0036-32BC)

I play most of the levels from the people who comment and rate mine, so feel free to give it a try so I can easily try yours.

Gurrry

So i didnt get to play much on saturday or sunday, so I just logged in before work to check my stats on my levels.

I have one that has 123 plays but only 9 clears called "You Cant Beat Me". Only 1 star, but its pretty awesome that 32 people have atleast tried it.

maxcriden

The lack of checkpoints in general is becoming an increasingly important issue for me in playing UGC levels. I feel like the reload takes just long enough to be slower than id like it to, and restarting some of these levels from the beginning has caused me to give up in them when I ordinarily wouldn't.

Thoraxes

Finally cleared my first created level. I had to adjust the difficulty at the end of the course for my own sanity, but I had fun making it!

Precise Piranha Plant Platforms: 0209-0000-0036-7B96

I started around 4AM...

Finished 4 hours later. Holy crap, where did the time go?

Gurrry

The lack of checkpoints in general is becoming an increasingly important issue for me in playing UGC levels. I feel like the reload takes just long enough to be slower than id like it to, and restarting some of these levels from the beginning has caused me to give up in them when I ordinarily wouldn't.

I totally agree. There are levels that I want to make that are difficult but Id like for there to be checkpoints so that the player doesnt get so frustrated and leave after dying once. I think it would increase the # of cleared attempts for everyone's levels.

Because as it stands now, people arent really going to stay in your level for more than 4-5 attempts. There are so many other levels out there that its just easier to quit and go find another.

Sölf

Finally got my second medal. More uploads inc! Here ist the first one:

WVW69iYu7AAinaSVuk

Para Plains
7A11-0000-0036-294D

I got the inspiration for this level from the example level for sub sections. I just made the whole thing bigger. It's not that hard, but it has a few secrets.

DryvBy

I need someone to try out my level and tell me if they enjoy the presentation.

World 1.3 - 1.3

6CBE-0000-0032-E361

Sölf;178715786 said:
Finally got my second medal. More uploads inc! Here ist the first one:

WVW69iYu7AAinaSVuk

Para Plains
7A11-0000-0036-294D

I got the inspiration for this level from the example level for sub sections. I just made the whole thing bigger. It's not that hard, but it has a few secrets.

Is there a way to get TV filter?

BowieZ

Banned
GAF. Help me.

I spent about 10 hours designing and playtesting my first uploaded level.

I've now spent 20 hours on my second, and still have a few to go, putting the finishing touches on it!

I really hope somebody plays it!

maxcriden

GAF. Help me.

I spent about 10 hours designing and playtesting my first uploaded level.

I've now spent 20 hours on my second, and still have a few to go, putting the finishing touches on them.

I really hope somebody plays it!

Heck, Bowie, you know I'll play it. Going on a business trip for a nearly two weeks with no Wii U ;__; but I'll be eager to play it when I get back!

Things not working the way they should restricts options. Fewer options means less creativity, as it makes certain things completely impossible.

I had a great idea. Two, actually. I can't do them now, so I don't see how it can be argued that this leads to new ideas when it actively prohibits them.

It also leads to situations where you create something that works fine until you start Mario from a distance away, and then approach it, at which point your setup is completely broken. So you can spend ages working on something that won't even work in the end, resulting in a lot of wasted time. Unless you repeatedly start Mario well before you need him to be, and make your way back to whatever you're testing. Which is tedious and unintuitive. And also a waste of time.

Super Mario Maker is fun because it makes creating levels simple. Having to acknowledge technical limitations and work around them when the game should be more than capable of loading everything at once (I was using the SMB1 tileset) goes against that entirely, and is inexcuseable.

You could place a door near the room where you have your timed platforms. As soon as you enter a door, all positions of enemies and plattforms are reset. For testing purposes, you could place the other door right at the start and jump to the desired area right away.

This should help for smaller set-ups.

Xenoboy

I'm going to ask this again since no one responded last time.

Can you see how many times a specific person has died in your own level?

membran

Don't have a screen shot, but would like it if you guys gave it a try. It's a classic Super Mario World style level, no unfair stuff. Some secrets of course and a hidden, optional speed running route (not an alternative route).

4657-0000-0031-4B52

BowieZ

Banned

I don't think so, you can just see who attempted and who cleared the level, and how many total attempts were made.

Robin64

Sadly not. You can see number of players, number of attempts between all those players, and number of completions between all those players.

I do wish we could get more info, it would help with designing.

For example, we get a minimap showing deaths with a red X, but it's both tiny and doesn't show the sub-level. This needs updating.

Pilgrimzero

Spent a good chunk of Sunday making this one (I hope it shows):

Mario has been captured! Can he escape the Koopa Sky Pirates?

Pirate Escape!
B2E5-0000-0036-7097

theaface

Little bump for my first level since it's sorely lacking in plays:

The Tunnel of Imminent Peril
C8C3-0000-0030-5A42
wtGyFpV.jpg

I did put quite a lot of time and effort into it, so I'd really appreciate you guys giving it a go. Feedback welcome. It's quite challenging in parts and could benefit from a checkpoint, but hopefully never unfair.

Meohsix

Do you unlock more sound effects? Because I've seen ones that i don't seem to have, like the firework and those flashing disco lights. Unless i'm just being really dumb. What do their icons look like?

Xenoboy

I thought the footprints were attempts. Not sure on individuals though.

I don't think so, you can just see who attempted and who cleared the level, and how many total attempts were made.

Sadly not. You can see number of players, number of attempts between all those players, and number of completions between all those players.

Thanks for the answers guys. I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. And yeah, there should be a better way too see where people have died, in both the main and sub levels.

Do you unlock more sound effects? Because I've seen ones that i don't seem to have, like the firework and those flashing disco lights. Unless i'm just being really dumb. What do their icons look like?

Shaking them changes what they do, the boxing glove turns into fireworks. I don't know about the disco lights though.

Top Bottom