• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Xenoboy

Posting this level if people want to try it and give me some critique. I tried to create a thematic level with interesting challenge, but making one of those crazy difficult levels. Its the kind of level that as you play it you quickly understand the mechanics and move further through the level.

I just played it and beat after a few tries. I kept dying the most at the first Fire Piranha after jumping of the vine, since I couldn't know it was there and it immediately spitted fire. Other than that I thought it was a really solid level and the challenge was just right.
Keep it up :D

I spent absolutely BLOODY AGES on this one

Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!
(5433-0000-0046-88AB)

I really, really hope this is good
As always any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

I also just played it right now. I really liked this one level and I don't know if this was intentional or not but that shortcut in the beginning was a nice thing to do. I didn't have to redo that section.I found the end to be somewhat anti-climactic, since you went from nothing, to firebar and then to donuts. It's not a big deal, but that's just my two cents.

AGoodODST

My first attempt at a full length stage (minus sub areas).

Overly Long Adventures

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01i2urn.jpg

70D2-0000-0046-9C05

When do sub areas unlock?

Last night I was playing and saw, as I often do, a Japanese player in one of my stages. I didn't get a star, and I thought hmm, that's actually really common. I just checked. No Japanese player has ever given me a star for any stage.

You're ruining this fucking game, Japan. Stop being so stingy with the stars.

I don't think it's just the Japanese. My levels aren't perfect, but soon I'm going to run out of upload space because nobody wants to star anything. Meanwhile, I see Rube Goldberg machines and "DON'T PRESS ANYTHING" levels with 10k stars.

I don't think it's just the Japanese. My levels aren't perfect, but soon I'm going to run out of upload space because nobody wants to star anything. Meanwhile, I see Rube Goldberg machines and "DON'T PRESS ANYTHING" levels with 10k stars.

I think it's largely luck of the straw, I have two versions of the same level uploaded, the only difference is the final jump in the first one was totally bullshit and despite uploading them within an hour of each other, the first one was over twice as many stars.

I also think there's some weird snowball effect with comments going on, as people seem to comment a lot more when there already is a few,which in turn makes more stars

Kebiinu

Banned
Reposting for the new page. It's so exciting to see that someone has played and liked the stages you create! Makes me want to keep making even better stages...!

I'm gonna work on a new one tonight. :)

Spent literally hours crafting my latest stage. I would love for y'all to check it out and let me know what you think!

I'll go ahead and post all the stages I've created thus far, starting with my most recent. I'll streamline this post as much as possible.

Aeroskies
UOCaYDd.jpg
BSwjj56.jpg

Stage ID: 17D1-0000-0040-D11A
This stage took work, a LOT of work. With a heavy focus on exploration yet familiar linearity; not every missed jump is a missed opportunity, so look for those secrets!

Kelp Assembly!
CXhQhcd.jpg
PH7obYp.jpg

Stage ID: B281-0000-003A-FB76
A linear pipe foreshadows your route as you make your way through this autoscrolling water stage. Despite the implied pace, don't panic; just keep swimming!

Trial Caverns
YaTtAGO.jpg
qshsg4x.jpg

Stage ID: 273C-0000-002F-B77A
Deep in Mushroom Kingdom you'll find this cave at the base of a towering mountain. Venture if you dare...for what awaits, are perilous drops, tricky platforms, and some persistent enemies. Make sure you pace yourself before proceeding along the pipe walkway!

What Goes Up...!
lkKxWN3.jpg
gkRWGKp.jpg

Stage ID: 777C-0000-002E-4B15
...must come down, or so they say! This stage will have you doing both as you make your way across this canyon of pipes and tight platforming! Watch out for that last step, it's a doozy!

I really hope you guys enjoy these stages. I've been steadily unlocking materials as I create, so I've been taking a slow and steady approach. I enjoy it though, because that means I can test my creativity with what's currently available. Every stage is not without it's secrets, but I don't believe in spoilers, so have fun!

I think it's largely luck of the straw, I have two versions of the same level uploaded, the only difference is the final jump in the first one was totally bullshit and despite uploading them within an hour of each other, the first one was over twice as many stars.

I also think there's some werid snowball effect with comments going on, as people seem to comment a lot more when there already is a few,which in turn makes more stars

Yeah, my Mario Land music level was the first thing I put up on launch day, and it's got an overwhelming number of stars compared to other music that I would expect to be more popular (Tetris, Zelda dungeon, Mario 64 Bob-omb Battlefield). I think it's due to the time I put it up and the aforementioned snowball effect. Probably shows up in a lot of "you might also like" lists.

Grinchy

Banned
I was a little annoyed too when I realized that you can't actually fix an uploaded level without getting rid of the old version or having two of the same level uploaded.

There was one tiny issue that I fixed by moving a 1-UP mushroom a single block over to the left, but I can't make that change without throwing away the original level's stars.

rawk

I was a little annoyed too when I realized that you can't actually fix an uploaded level without getting rid of the old version or having two of the same level uploaded.

There was one tiny issue that I fixed by moving a 1-UP mushroom a single block over to the left, but I can't make that change without throwing away the original level's stars.

Actually, you keep the stars.

Think of what would happen though...somebody uploads an easy, fun level, gets a lots of stars and comments, has a 60% win rate...then they "fix" the uploaded level by making it brutally difficult.

The game would keep sorting it into the easy 100 Mario Challenge, and new players would wonder why the heck the comments are so positive, why there are so many stars, why the win rate is so high.

I also just played it right now. I really liked this one level and I don't know if this was intentional or not but that shortcut in the beginning was a nice thing to do. I didn't have to redo that section.I found the end to be somewhat anti-climactic, since you went from nothing, to firebar and then to donuts. It's not a big deal, but that's just my two cents.

Thanks for the feedback, the donuts weren't meant as platforms but instead a visual aid to working out which set of flames were which, I guess I should have found a work around but by that point I was fed up of looking at the level.

And the shortcut is kind of intentional, originally It could be done from a different direction and was accidental I considered fixing it but it seemed harmless enough, so I made it possible without eating damage

I thought this was very well done. As someone already said, it wasn't too difficult, but it just felt satisfying to complete. Starred!

One of the better ones I've played. It really feels like every jump and shell throw was planned out so good work!

Thanks guys!

OmegaDL50

I understand that the 100-Mario Challenge is a random gamble more or less. You don't know if it's going to be a okay level. Rare chances it's actually a GOOD level...and more than likely it's a level filled with bullshit and random nonsense.

Thinking of killing multiple birds with one stone. I was thinking about daydreams current SMM-GAF Community project and the theme of creating a 1-1 style level as if it was for a new Mario game, and It occurred to me the answer I'm looking for might have been right there all along.

I propose an idea. A NeoGAF community Super Mario Maker project. All aspiring level creators all work together and make our own traditional 32 level Mario game.

8 Levels each from each of the four themes of the game, SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMBU.

If it's okay with daydream. And as a benefit the winner of the 1-1 SMM-GAF Contest is the star level that will be the 1-1 level showcased in the NeoGAF Mario game project.

The only problems is determining what proper difficulty for each level. Since how would we determine what level deserves to be called 1-2 or 1-4 or even 2-2 or so forth.

So to simplify this is to have preset categories for each of the 8 levels to keep a concise direction for the project.

So 8 Levels for SMB1 that consists of 4 basic levels, 1 mid-level fortress, 1 ghost house, 1 airship, and 1 Castle area for as a setting for each of the four game themes, and the same for SMB3, SMW, and NSMBU, for a total of 32 levels in all.

I'm not sure of the logistics of compiling all of these levels together for an easy search, outside of putting them all in a single post and them all sharing a common name.

Now getting to the subject of a name. If anyone is okay with such a project, what would we call our own Mario Game, I mean naturally I'd think 'NeoGAF' would be in the title in some form.

What does GAF think of this idea? Also if this idea actually works, do you think it would be deserving of it's own thread to bring more attention to it with the hopes of getting more people involved?

My test level has lile 50 plays and 2 stars

My serious level a really easy level with challenging platforms but fair for experienced Mario player has 10% clear rate and no stars

Fucking internet meng

Small Gaming

Neo Member
Here are some of my stages I made this week. They are place in order from easy to hard. I really would like to have feedback on them. If you want feedback on your level, I am more then happy to give it. Just let me know.

WVW69iZV0z4SIkr6Ud

This is for the young Mario players. Tested with my little daughter, so it is kid-prove.

WVW69iZV0Uw4lFAoMW

For the people who can beat stage 1-1 of Super Mario. You get 1 shell to beat the course. Don't lose it and don't put it on your head.

WVW69iZV1UEJmcESuH

A Mario course with Metroid elements. This is a hard level to beat, but for the hardcore fans.

WVW69iZVzgM5_0BY7i

The follow up of Mario VS Metroid, still hard to beat.

JazzmanZ

Gonna finally put my stuff here...

Redemption (771A-0000-0043-CFFF)
LWhe5cG.jpg

(deliver the POW-cage to the end!)

The Mysterious Ghost House (840C-0000-0044-B945)
zOx3slZ.jpg

(My first real level, hidden things everywhere!)

Mechaload Zone (8B5F-0000-0047-0E8B)
bAC3cry.jpg

I made a level using only metal things and creatures.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just uploaded a new level. This one I made quickly. It's short and simple and I really just want to see how people react to the concept first. If people like it I'll try to make a more complex level around this idea. The title says it all.

Clear The Path For Yoshi - 3B08-0000-0046-0FE6
Over 5 and a half hours later this still only has one play. And the guy somehow couldn't beat it...

Please give it a go and let me know what you think guys.

I have the game since today.. Yay.
Just went through the annoying efforts of unlocking everything. I understand why they did it, but oof it's not fun if you already know what will be unlocked. Anyway, I'll jump into some gaf!courses later wee. :D

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah it's really annoying. Not just vertically either. Even the length is frustratingly short. You can work around that to a degree, but still.

I am having trouble making more ambitious stages because not only is the area of play so restrictive, but the limit on number of tiles placed is so restrictive. You can't even reasonably fill the max allowed level with tunnels and landscape.

I've had fun with the game like everyone else, but I'm really identifying so many shortcomings and so much lacking -- At $39 it would deserve a good review, but as a $59 game I just don't think it's enough. I know I said this before, but, ugh, it's so not enough.

Yuterald

Why are stage sizes SO limited. Argh. Especially vertically -- There's no way to make a vertical stage.

I hear you. Just make use of doors/move-locations to sell verticality. I'd like to think I sold a tree stage with proper height progression by using doors. I'm at least content with what I produced.

SuomiDude

My new stage Mariovania Stage 2, again NES Castlevania used as a base for the stage.

BB4F-0000-0047-1B86

WVW69iZWAhIyK9gC-9

Honestly, the stage layout isn't that great to begin with, so I'm not totally happy about this stage, but I still spent lots of time to recreate the stage as good as possible :) And again, you can discover secrets found in the original game if you know where to look.

Tomorrow is time for you guys' stages again. Seen quite a few goodie so far.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Had a streamer try my glitch puzzle level, he couldn't complete it.

360blocksjixxy.png

CAC2-000-0028-5376

Pooxi

Neo Member
Over 5 and a half hours later this still only has one play. And the guy somehow couldn't beat it...

Please give it a go and let me know what you think guys.

Played it. It was a cool concept and the name is a big hint for what you have to do. Good use of doors too since I lost my first Yoshi.
Maybe you could move the second and third p-switches closer together and put a jump at the beggining of the level that makes you use a Yoshi

Someday when I get around to replaying the older Super Mario Bros. games again, I'm going to look at them and experience them in a totally different way because of this game.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Lord of the Fish - Easy/Medium
23F9-0000-0045-2636

Enjoy :)

I want to expand on this some more with more design later ! Include more spikes, red fishes and everything. But here's proof of concept to test out this idea and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Please leave feedbacks if you'd like.

Munter

Just uploaded my latest level. Would love for you all to give it a try!

A15E-0000-0047-2243 - Homage

Nothing too taxing, just having a bit of fun :)

uichNo7.jpg

"Still Sharp"

4AD1-0000-0047-36C5

3RkYhkK.jpg

Basically my attempt at a straightforward SMW level. It's kind of interesting how you feel like you've used most of the available scrolling space and your stage can still feel a bit short. Maybe anyone who plays it feels otherwise.

Unless I'm missing it, I really wish I could use the series' "Athletic" theme.

Raven77

I'm making a level where you traverse the landscape a bit then go through a large castle complete with ghost filled dungeon, hidden treasure (yoshi egg), etc. I'm about a 1/3'rd completed. Anyone want to help me test it? Is that even possible?

ramparter

Banned
Damn working at my 1-1 submission and its not easy at all. I'll be away for the weekend so I will barely make it.

I'm making a level where you traverse the landscape a bit then go through a large castle complete with ghost filled dungeon, hidden treasure (yoshi egg), etc. I'm about a 1/3'rd completed. Anyone want to help me test it? Is that even possible?
Just upload a draft. Then delete it and uload a newer version.

Top Bottom