• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot on PS5 - Virtually Flawless - Digital Foundry Tech Review

dottme

I’ve waited so long, I’ll wait for PS5 pro. Please Sony, announce ps5 pro soon as there’s finally a bunch of game I want to play.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
A nice win for PS here that was needed after the constant doom and gloom.
Agreed, but it’s par for course when their nearest competitor has shit the bed and its zealots continue to feel the sting. Pretend Concord is all that released in a year that has stuff like Helldivers iI and FFVII in it. 🙂

In the real world, it’s actually been a decent year for PS5. 2025 should be a return to form though!

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

"- Locked 60fps without any dips"
awkward-flirting.gif

Last edited:

Caio

Holy crap, Goty material, DF in love with it. How the hell this will run on a PRO ? We know this will be shown during the beast presentation :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How spoiler-y is this? I know John spoils the shit out of PlayStation games in his Digitsl Foundry deep dive videos.

Not really at all. He does show some stuff of course, but he seems to very consciously stay away from most of the really cool stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I can see pro doing a 4k60 for this one.

Probably one of the few new games that are gonna achieve that on pro.

Agreed, but it’s par for course when their nearest competitor has shit the bed and its zealots continue to feel the sting.

In the real world, it’s actually been a pretty good year for PS5 with more still dropping. 2025 should be a return to form though!
Maybe. But all goodies are coming from eastern studios. For 2025 I am hyped only for a Kojima game. Creativity in western studios is DEAD.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Holy crap, Goty material, DF in love with it. How the hell this will run on a PRO ? We know this will be shown during the beast presentation :D

I mean, probably the same. Maybe at 120fps? Maybe at a constant 4K instead of sometimes dropping to 1440p? But this isn't that kind of game. It's a Nintendo kind of game, that does amazing things with the hardware provided.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Maybe. But all goodies are coming from eastern studios. For 2025 I am hyped only for a Kojima game. Creativity in western studios is DEAD.
I’m keeping an open mind. We’re currently in a bit of slump, to be sure, but this is PlayStation. They have those from time-to-time , know when to strike hard and get things going again!

Caio

I mean, probably the same. Maybe at 120fps? Maybe at a constant 4K instead of sometimes dropping to 1440p? But this isn't that kind of game. It's a Nintendo kind of game, that does amazing things with the hardware provided.
Who knows, maybe 120 fps mode, and better graphics/effects/lighting at 60 fps. At this point I'm just dreaming :)

Jesb

Maybe the first legit 10 of the generation. If Sony ever wants a new ratchet or Jax these guys would be perfect.

nick776

After watching this video, it is sure going to be tempting to NOT buy the game tomorrow and wait for the PS5 Pro to play it.

Klayzer

Agreed, but it’s par for course when their nearest competitor has shit the bed and its zealots continue to feel the sting. Pretend Concord is all that released in a year that has stuff like Helldivers iI and FFVII in it. 🙂

In the real world, it’s actually been a decent year for PS5. 2025 should be a return to form though!
Decent? It's been great. A lot of great games from the far east.

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
After watching this video, it is sure going to be tempting to NOT buy the game tomorrow and wait for the PS5 Pro to play it.
its already 1440p-4k dynamic res, with that high res pro will not make big diff unless asobi would add some kind of ray tracing to pro and keep res...

Last edited:
If you don't have a PS5 anyway just wait for 2 months and buy with the PS5 Pro. Probably somewhere will have some black friday promo for the physical version of it (just my 2 cents of course)

PeteBull

Gold Member
likely instead of 1440p-4k drs it will be 1800p-4k drs, maybe they could add some raytracing on top but no idea if it would be worth the dev time :)

Sooner

Since this is a game celebrating all things PlayStation, Astrobot should face off against the evil "X-bot" at the end of the game.

Shin-Ra

The one clear weakness that I’ve seen is sometimes shadow map resolution/filtering.

Zelda: The Wind Waker used a novel filtering technique (can’t remember the speculated technique name) and it’s always disappointed me that games with stylised visuals don’t play around the weaknesses of cascaded shadow maps more.

Nice to see the close pop-in on the little tufts of grass geometry seen in the reveal trailer seems to have been fixed.

Another standout from the trailers, the lavish liquid physics, ‘sprinkle’ hard physics and cloth physics. It’s up there with Demon’s Souls’ ethereal soft-particles (and soft shadows) for astonishing eye-candy.

Kerotan

Some solid 80+ single player games launching recently and concord, X defiant, apex, suicide squad bombing.

Astro at 94 is the icing on the Cake.

Shin-Ra

We don’t yet know the resolution ‘sweet-spot’ (at 60fps) for PSSR to construct a clean 2160p image. We don’t know how well it copes with dynamic resolution changes.

But if the max resolution only needs to be around 1440p, there should be plenty of headroom for higher quality shadows, raytraced shadows and reflections would look a lot better. Anisotropic filtering at 1440p input res might need increasing.

Caio

likely instead of 1440p-4k drs it will be 1800p-4k drs, maybe they could add some raytracing on top but no idea if it would be worth the dev time :)
Yes, it depends on what the developers consider feasible within the budget limits. I believe that Sony, in this case, should be more generous, and I would make this game a clear demonstration of the PRO’s power by creating a version with two modes: one at 120 fps, and another with dynamic 1440p-4k DRS, with breathtaking graphics, effects, and ray tracing. The game is a masterpiece, and I think the best way to present the PS5 PRO is to show its version of this game.

I've always been the wait for pro patch on games like red dead 2, cyberpunk etc but this is gaming perfection, looks so clean and runs like butter what are some of you waiting for exactly lol

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
The question is how the market will respond to this game. It would sell quite well on Nintendo, but I don't know if PlayStation users who are used to playing God of War or The Last of Us would be interested in these types of games and paying full price for them.

The question is how the market will respond to this game. It would sell quite well on Nintendo, but I don't know if PlayStation users who are used to playing God of War or The Last of Us would be interested in these types of games and paying full price for them.

I have two nieces that fell in love with Astro's Playroom....

As soon as I saw the reveal trailer it was an instant buy....

Top Bottom