• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot on PS5 - Virtually Flawless - Digital Foundry Tech Review

Zathalus

Puppeteer was was directed by Gavin Moore but most staff were Japanese designers and artist.
I’m going off the Team Asobi interview where several of the named leads are European and they point out the development team is quite international, with over a quarter of the team being from abroad. The team even holds meetings and events in both English and Japanese.

Musilla

dvnAuov.gif

salva

ngl, this review has me thinking about a PS5 if there's a bundle with Astrobot - but can't justify a new console for just 1 game - HMmhmhmhmhmhmmmhmmm

I’m going off the Team Asobi interview where several of the named leads are European and they point out the development team is quite international, with over a quarter of the team being from abroad. The team even holds meetings and events in both English and Japanese.
Yes international but the director is proud to follow japanese ways of designing games (focused on gameplay and fun). He is even married to a japanese woman and went to Japan to live there with his wife. They want to do it the way Nintendo is doing it.

This has good graphics?
It has copied graphics from Super Mario Odeyssy as well.

Switch level, super smooth textures.

Flawless graphics as per digital foundry, 4k60. LMAO.

If people were interested in trolling this game, there is a bucket load of flat looking screenshots you can make out of this a la Craig in Halo Infinite.

If people were interested in trolling this game, there is a bucket load of flat looking screenshots you can make out of this a la Craig in Halo Infinite.
You're saying the game has Nintendo Switch level graphics? I know your ways, just don't understand it

Can't honestly tell if you're joking?? But sounds mentally irregular

It obviously is not current gen graphically but the developer has produced a technically proficient game. You really need to get your head out of the fanboy mentality and realise it's nothing personal, I'm actually waiting on the PS5 Pro to upgrade from the PS4 Pro.

It obviously is not current gen graphically but the developer has produced a technically proficient game. You really need to get your head out of the fanboy mentality and realise it's nothing personal, I'm actually waiting on the PS5 Pro to upgrade from the PS4 Pro.
You play on Playstation so obviously you can voice your opinion in an unbiased way.

You play on Playstation so obviously you can voice your opinion in an unbiased way.
Yeah, I've owned every PS upto the PS5 and I'm waiting on the first party studios games that appeal to me. Taking nothing away from Astrobot but I like more adult orientated games. This game isn't really about the graphics though but more about the innovative gameplay.

Yeah, I've owned every PS upto the PS5 and I'm waiting on the first party studios games that appeal to me. Taking nothing away from Astrobot but I like more adult orientated games. This game isn't really about the graphics though but more about the innovative gameplay.
The super slick graphics are 100% part of the experience

Pedro Motta

When you're not smart enough to know the difference between next gen graphics and "realistic" next gen graphics.

Trilobit

Hopefully this can be the start of a platformer renaissance so that we can get great platform-adventurers like Sly Cooper 2 on Playstation again.

sachos

Amazing love letter by John, the amount of geometry and little particles is so good, love the grass in this game. I wonder if they could add raytracing to the PS5 Pro patch, that would be really cool with all those shiny surfaces. And holy shit, that transition into Mario Odyssey near the end after 20min of Astro's graphics, such a difference. Looking forward what Nintendo can do with the Switch 2.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

I loved that game. It was another example of just plain gaming joy, like this seems to be. Those games are too rare nowadays, except from Nintendo.
There’s a lot of unskippable mini-cutscenes in Puppeteer that made replaying levels for secrets and collectibles a bit of a PITA.

Amazing love letter by John, the amount of geometry and little particles is so good, love the grass in this game. I wonder if they could add raytracing to the PS5 Pro patch, that would be really cool with all those shiny surfaces. And holy shit, that transition into Mario Odyssey near the end after 20min of Astro's graphics, such a difference. Looking forward what Nintendo can do with the Switch 2.
Graphically Astrobot is 2 gens (or 1.5 gen) ahead of Odyssey. Switch 2 graphics will be at PS4 levels, maybe reaching PS4 Pro levels say using reconstruction.

Fbh

Gold Member
This has good graphics?

I wouldn't really say it has amazing graphics.
To me it's more like it has great presentation or good "visuals" or whatever you want to call it.
It's not about having the best textures and most impressive 3D models and 4 types of ray tracing implementation. Instead, it has a nice art direction, with charming animations and some fun physics, all running at locked 60fps with a nice sharp image.

To me this is infinitely more visually pleasing than other games with better "graphics" but at the cost of shitty performance and horrible image quality full of artifacting and smearing from trying to upscale some 720p source.

Top Bottom