• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Robin64

Some cool stuff already appearing on Japan's Super Metroid Community.

zlCfzQ_CiTkDIrA04S
zlCfzQ_Clw4LT3T0Ap
zlCfzQ_CfJMuFNPcqW
zlCfzQ_CX-Ymr-XM1m
zlCfzQ_CXJ8f0fYRlP
zlCfzQ_CouoKhRpVMK
zlCfzQ_CdP4DFTNnIh

Yes Boss!

This has got to be one of the cooler things about Wii U.

A lot of cool things about the Wii U. Kinda strange the way it is not really that popular of system so far.

Anyways, this is the first time I'll be playing the game. We owned the cart at launch, and I rebought it on Wii VC but never sat down and played much. Will be beating it on the Gamepad, though.

Neff

When does it release in Europe ??!!!

EDIT
Nevermind may 16th en 50 goddamn hz What the FAAAKK !!!

I know man. I keep asking myself over and over why I didn't buy an American Wii U.

But after the 3DS 60hz VC, how was I supposed to know?

Coldsnap

Anyone know what's the best way to play Super Metroid I and II? Should I just man up and buy a backlite gameboy, or is there some way to play them on the GBA SP?

I think i'll write "the baby the baby the baby the babythe baby the baby" on miiverse

yup im original B^)

just bought it and its still amazing :D dat metroid

Megatron

Anyone know what's the best way to play Super Metroid I and II? Should I just man up and buy a backlite gameboy, or is there some way to play them on the GBA SP?
Assuming you mean Metroid 1 and 2 not super. 3ds xl from the shop is probably the best way.

Instead of playing the original Metroid, get Metroid Zero Mission for your GBA. It's a remake of Metroid and is far superior since it adds a map and fleshes out the story a bit.

Download Metroid II on 3DS eShop.

Anustart

Any veterans of the game looking for a different way to play, I might suggest a no-boss, no mini-boss run (except for the chozo to get the bombs).

Goal is to get as many items as possible without facing a single boss or mini-boss. I still remember climbing that wall in Maridia sans Gravity Suit. Nightmare inducing.

Sanic

Just played up through
Kraid
. I liked the sort of throwback to how he appeared in the NES version. Game is fun so far, I can explore without being punished.

How the shit do you get across this bridge
Believe in Samus' legs, my friend.

I learned how to wall-jump effectively going up the tall tunnel in Red Brinstar. I sadly wasn't able to get into the area leading up to Crateria (damn croissant turtle-bugs!), but I thought the whole Etecoon encounter was a cinch way after.

Any veterans of the game looking for a different way to play, I might suggest a no-boss, no mini-boss run (except for the chozo to get the bombs).

Goal is to get as many items as possible without facing a single boss or mini-boss. I still remember climbing that wall in Maridia sans Gravity Suit. Nightmare inducing.
Could also do a partial reverse boss run or skip the grapple hook. If you get the Varia suit you can unequip it in section before the entrance to lower Norfair (where you normally use space jump to get into) and wall jump into lower Norfair.... There's also some debug glitch if you go backward to the screw attack to get your gravity suit anyway..

CDX

Instead of playing the original Metroid, get Metroid Zero Mission for your GBA. It's a remake of Metroid and is far superior since it adds a map and fleshes out the story a bit.

Since the Wii U is getting a GBA VC, Zero Mission will probably show up on the Wii U eShop sometime in the future, hopefully soon.

Still no DL available in NA yet???

it's been on the Wii U eshop for nearly 2 hours already

Coldsnap

Ahh, I actually played Metroid Zero Mission a LONG time ago. I should re play it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just DL'd and started a new game.

I have to say, I really like how SNES games look on the U emulator. Very crisp at 1080p, whatever form of edge enhancement it is using isn't the yucky kind that over-vectorizes everything. Each pixel appears preserved.

Forgot how Samus feels every so slightly heavy compared to Zero Mission and Fusion. Just takes some getting used to again.

Sanic

My one complaint so far is that I can't seem to get used to the controls. Everything feels a bit cludgy. I think it's the sudden drop in speed when you do a spin jump that gets me.

Davey Cakes

Since the Wii U is getting a GBA VC, Zero Mission will probably show up on the Wii U eShop sometime in the future, hopefully soon.
I really hope that Nintendo gets the GBA VC going soon, and games like Zero Mission get top billing.

If there's one Metroid game that needs more lovin' it's that one. I still have my GBA cart with a 100% Hard Mode save file and I still might buy the Wii U VC version just out of principle.

My one complaint so far is that I can't seem to get used to the controls. Everything feels a bit cludgy. I think it's the sudden drop in speed when you do a spin jump that gets me.
The controls definitely aren't as tight as they are in, say, the GBA games. They're still solid though. Also, the jump does slow you down a bit, but if you dash into a jump, you keep the momentum. Continue working at it.

Psxphile

Some cool stuff already appearing on Japan's Super Metroid Community.

zlCfzQ_CiTkDIrA04S

zlCfzQ_CfJMuFNPcqW

zlCfzQ_CouoKhRpVMK

That's not the black two-piece. What are you doing, Japan?

Wait, are you fucking serious? This is what people can't figure out?Wait, are you fucking serious? This is what people can't figure out?
tumblr_lr4r0jMhWp1r2oe5vo1_100.gif

I sometimes forget about the run button at that point, too. I don't recall getting stuck there on my first run all those years ago. The manual tells you about the run button, right?

Can't wait until the first complain about
that pit.
Which one?
Red Brinstar or the sand-pits in Maridia accessible from the bombed bridge
?

Those Japanese artists need to play this game complete to the end. Two-piece Samus needs more representation. Also: stop sucking at running.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, we have one in the n00b bridge, so ...

YEP. I didn't know it was a common issue until i came to that wiki

So I assume that
that pit
is referring to
That part in Brinstar where there's an energy tank right there, and then you fall through the floor like a fool.

Unless it's something hilariously obvious like that bridge.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm really sick of the pad's pathetic range. I'm beginning to believe this thing was *not* designed to be taken away from the console and around the house. My bathroom is 6 meters away, and when I close the door sometimes games are playable, and sometimes they're absolutely not.

Case in point: I just got destroyed by the Chozo statue holding the morph bomb. Thanks Iwata!

MiiVerse wins the generation, I don't give a damn. And I totally did NOT save that Samass image. Nope.
Doing some business, and will be downloading this IMMEDIATELY when I get home. Controller mapping will make this game so much better.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm really sick of the pad's pathetic range. I'm beginning to believe this thing was *not* designed to be taken away from the console and around the house. My bathroom is 6 meters away, and when I close the door sometimes games are playable, and sometimes they're absolutely not.

Case in point: I just got destroyed by the Chozo statue holding the morph bomb. Thanks Iwata!

I think the real point is that we need Super Metroid 2 on 3DS.

Davey Cakes

I'm going to do some victim blaming here and say that people who want to play games on the toilet are silly.

As far as Gamepad range goes, YMMV. Some people have great success. For me, it works in some areas and not in others. I can barely get a signal in the room adjacent to the Wii U, probably due to the WiFi signal in the direct path as well as the water heater and plumbing. However, I can play on the top floor of my house in nearly every room. It's weird.

Maybe someday there will be a signal booster.

Top Bottom