• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Robin64

Playing on the WiiU so I have to ask anyway to turn off the display on the gamepad? Kinda annoying playing off the TV with the game on the bottom as well.

Yeah, just press the home button, tap the controller icons at the top, pick the Gamepad and hit turn display off. Pressing any button on the pad will turn it back on.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, just press the home button, tap the controller icons at the top, pick the Gamepad and hit turn display off. Pressing any button on the pad will turn it back on.

Well shit guess I won't be playing this with the gamepad unless I'm doing off TV play. WiiU controller pro will work with the VC right?

Robin64

Well shit guess I won't be playing this with the gamepad unless I'm doing off TV play. WiiU controller pro will work with the VC right?

Yeah, it works fine. The Wii's Classic Controller works too if you have one of those around and prefer the closer-to-SNES shape.

RagnarokX

anakjI2.jpg

Anteo

So about one of those points when one get stuck in this game.
After you get the Gravity suit and do not know where to go.
Get it? Now go on and read the spoiler.

Who destroyed that glass way BEFORE getting the Gravity Suit? I did in my first playthrough and I also fell down to the bottom. It was so hard to get out of there...

krae_man

Man this game is kicking my ass. It's been probably 15 years since I played it. The first big boss dude smoked me. I could barely get up to the higher ledge.

I think I might have stumbled upon him too quickly. I should look around elsewhere before I go back.
I don't have the freeze gun yet and I bet he's way easier with the freeze gun. trying to jump on those platforms he shoots while they move super fast was impossible.

Man this game is kicking my ass. It's been probably 15 years since I played it. The first big boss dude smoked me. I could barely get up to the higher ledge.

I think I might have stumbled upon him too quickly.

You wall jumped to get to him, right? You're supposed to have the high jump boots by that point.

krae_man

You wall jumped to get to him, right? You're supposed to have the high jump boots by that point.

I think I know what I did.

There was that room with an elevator in it with a wall breakable with super missiles on the right. once you break those you are in a room with a ledge that has a big skull on it that is just out of reach. I went back into the elevator room ran and did a tiny jump and just made it onto the ledge. I guess I sequence broke by accdient

There was that room with an elevator in it with a wall breakable with super missiles on the right. once you break those you are in a room with a ledge that has a big skill on it that is just out of reach. I went back into the elevator room ran and did a tiny jump and just made it onto the ledge. I guess I sequence broke by accdient

Yeah, I thought wall jumping was mandatory for that sequence break.

Also, I can't mockball for early Ice Beam for the life of me. I got early super missiles on my first try : (

edit - Got it! Had to hold down jump.

Instro

There was that room with an elevator in it with a wall breakable with super missiles on the right. once you break those you are in a room with a ledge that has a big skill on it that is just out of reach. I went back into the elevator room ran and did a tiny jump and just made it onto the ledge. I guess I sequence broke by accdient

Yeah its very possible to make that jump without the high jump boots either by timing it right or by a quick wall jump off the far ledge. While Kraid can be beaten without them, the boss battle is designed for those boots so you might want to go searching.

Spoiler tagged just in case.

Yeah, I thought wall jumping was mandatory for that sequence break.

Also, I can't mockball for early Ice Beam for the life of me. I got early super missiles on my first try : (

FWIW, its bit easier to mockball if you turn the high jump boots off.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, it works fine. The Wii's Classic Controller works too if you have one of those around and prefer the closer-to-SNES shape.

Pro controller works great but the layout leaves a bit to desire

Thank You Both.

I'd rather play on the game pad. This game looks terrible on my 50" Plasma TV.

Yeah I was comparing and noticed colors looked better on the pad.
Still I think i'll jump between the 2.

zroid

Banned
Finished Metroid just now (liberally used a map and restore points lol). I don't have Metroid II unfortunately, so I'll just jump right into Super Metroid tonight. Yiss.

Replay is going very smoothly. Just got power bombs and looped around Brinstar, to old Tourian, back to Samus' ship to get items and resupply. Found two areas where I needed the gravity suit so I'll save them for later. Going to raid lower left Norfair next I play to get the grapple beam.

huh had no idea people got stuck on that bridge

i remember as a kid i got stuck after that, falling all the way down and not knowing where to go and getting stuck in the water , yup all i had to do was run and jump to get past the little puddle

felt dumb

Last year I did a 100% item run on my SNES cart, hadn't played it in over 10 years so I took my time and savored the game. But now I'm ready to try and finally do a minus three hour run for the Wii U VC (I still can't believe they released it for 30 cents), what is the best/most balanced route?

I'm looking at the "Fastest route to Mother Brain" chart in the back of my NP Player's guide and it looks like using that line of progression would be brutal for surviving bosses unless I'm mistaken.

Also, earphones don't seem to help with low sound on the Gamepad at all, anyone know of a good brand of headphones that have one of those little "extra volume boost dials" in the middle? Used to have a set of 'em way back in the '90s.

Also what resolution are these games running in compared to the OG Wii VC?

Fuckin hell. Gamepad died on me in the middle of a boss fight. Argh!

Really enjoying the game though. Shame I couldn't get into it when I was younger.

Mzo

Amazing thing is, it's a review of the SNES cart from 1994, not a VC rerelease or something. Which is kinda hilarious. The dude complains about the graphics and the music... which I dunno how one even does that unless they're a truly spiteful bastard. And then he complains it's too hard. I can understand an 8.0 from like a Gamespot or IGN review of the VC release a little more, because you can't give a perfect game like Super Metroid a 10 cuz... well, it's old, and a 10/10 loses its meaning if you give it to someone who isn't paying you. Either way, I guess Edge is nothing if not consistent.

what in the

I had to literally stand in lava to try out the super bomb trick because your health never really goes down in that game. Super Metroid is so easy it's almost a negative.

I always feel bad for the Etecoons because they're all like "Hey Samus let us show you how to wall-jump" and I'm like "Nah, I'm gonna single wall-jump up this shaft and get the Power Bomb before you guys get even halfway up."

They're cute, yet their singing gives me the creeps. Top-tier sound design, folks.

I always feel bad for the Etecoons because they're all like "Hey Samus let us show you how to wall-jump" and I'm like "Nah, I'm gonna single wall-jump up this shaft and get the Power Bomb before you guys get even halfway up."
Well yeah, if you've already taken the time out to tinker like that and learn to wall-jump beforehand. This encounter must have been a welcome surprise to most players, and it's impetus to meet them again later.

MegalonJJ

Banned
There have been various posting in the Super Mario World community and I'm sure there'll be more when the Super Metroid one goes up, but to be honest..

I think we should be posting in Miiverse daily from tomorrow (UK here) asking for the US version to be released. Let's do this!

Robin64

Just slaughtered Draygon. Took me a while to figure out how to access the pirate labs. Maridia is an area I can never seem to remember clearly :l

Draygon spoiler:
Did you fight him the "normal" way or did you just electrocute him to death? The latter is hilarious..

Fou-Lu

I don't think I'm going to get my turn at the game for a while. It's my brother's favorite game of all time and he's been playing since I downloaded it.

Top Bottom