• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Richie

If I have this on Wii VC and it is still on my old Wii, then I download this 30cent version to my Wii U, and then after that I transfer all of my contents from my Wii to my U, what will happen?

Will I have two versions of Super Metriod playable on the U? I don't want any conflicts, and I want to download SM tomorrow for 30cents, and then a month from now I'll transfer over all contents from Old Wii to New U (transferring next month due to moving...)

You're safe. Wii Mode is separate from the Wii U's main menu, so you'll keep your Wii copy in addition to the U one.

If I have this on Wii VC and it is still on my old Wii, then I download this 30cent version to my Wii U, and then after that I transfer all of my contents from my Wii to my U, what will happen?

Will I have two versions of Super Metriod playable on the U? I don't want any conflicts, and I want to download SM tomorrow for 30cents, and then a month from now I'll transfer over all contents from Old Wii to New U (transferring next month due to moving...)

You'll have one Wii version and one Wii U version. There won't be any conflicts.

Jobbs

Banned
I remember when this came out. I think I was about 10 or 11. It somehow hit shelves without me even knowing about it in advance -- This after the first Metroid was the game my brothers and I played regularly from the time I was like 6.

This was a thing that happened. If you didn't always pay close attention to Nintendo Power, an important title could hit shelves without you even knowing in advance. And that day, when I saw Super Metroid, and somehow managed to get it (was a lot of dough back then) -- What a time. Some of my best gaming memories.

alf717

Did the SNES NA version have both English and Japanese language options? Both show during the options and intro.

Richie

Greatest day of the week to have been given the first half of the day off! Downloadin'!

And yes, it is also my first time playing this jewel, outside of some minutes in Brawl's Masterpieces mode! Loved Fusion, can't wait to check this out!

Dai101

Banned
I'll deliberately not have an extra shot of espresso in my coffee tomorrow so I can buy this.

Oh no, don't skip that extra shot, you'll need it, trust me

1rst time I hear about a US game with Japanese text on it!
Are you sure they didn't rip that part out in the US cart?

Nope. The NA cart came with Japanese subtitles.

That Chozo statue was what "got" me hooked on the game. It's so perfectly done. You're on you're way back out of the room and you hear that SUPERB door closing noise. Huh, the door's gone grey.. There's a pause while you consider what might be happening, then the statue begins to crumble. It's timed PERFECTLY.

Also, if you're really skilly, you can get out of the room just before the door closes. And in pure Super Metroid goodness, there's no penalty for doing so. If you can do it, well done, carry on.

Nope. I think you can only do that in the PAL cart, or running it with extra tools in an emulator for the NA/JP version.

The first time I played it everything was fine until learning the wall jump.
I saw those little guys showing me how to do but couldn't make it, so I thought I was stucked and it lasted a non negligble time. It's a cool way to introduce a move but when it's so complicated to do at first it breaks the flow.
But when all is said and done, sequence breaking is why it's so good.

Oh fuck i remember that, i couldn't wall-jump and learned to how much later in a subsecuential replay. I have to climb that part by BOMB JUMPING!!

I feel so old having so many kids in here who have never played this masterpiece.

Want to come over and talk of lawns and shit?

Sequence break heaven. Wall jump will open some possibilities, but morph ball bomb timing is king.

Yep. That technique is so broken, and requires a shit load of practice and patience

It's aged like Helen Mirren.

GB5HvwN.gif

Mah man

Chucker

It somehow hit shelves without me even knowing about it in advance

This was a thing that happened. If you didn't always pay close attention to Nintendo Power, an important title could hit shelves without you even knowing in advance. And that day, when I saw Super Metroid, and somehow managed to get it (was a lot of dough back then) -- What a time. Some of my best gaming memories.

I miss these days. I used to hound my EB Games asking if they'd gotten random SNES game X in that week. I remember my delight when I saw the TRU employee placing the box and tickets for Final Fantasy III up right in front of me, it was like Christmas for me.

Neff

Care to elaborate on exactly what those problems are? After playing the 60Hz ROM and the 50Hz PAL cart, I struggle to tell any difference.
The music is fine, the movement speed is fine, I am at a loss as to exactly what the issue is.

Like Kirby's Adventure, the player character speed was the only thing adjusted (extra CPU breathing room permitted by 50hz can just about allow for this). The speed of the game's enemies and so forth however move at PAL speed, 17% slower. I'm not sure about music synchronisation.

Worse, the PAL version is 50fps, wheras the Wii U only outputs at 60fps, so an ugly frame-duplicating measure will be implemented to keep up, resulting in a noticably choppy refresh rate and compromised responsiveness. Again, this is what happened with Kirby's Adventure and it resulted in a poor gaming experience.

By contrast, the US 60hz version will be perfect, as it should be.

For a game of this pedigree to receive this kind of treatment is disgusting.

KaiserBecks

Can this be bought on the Wii's Virtual Console channel and then played on a Wii U later? I'm thinking of buying a Wii U when it's a little cheaper, and then basically use it as a SNES handheld. For 30 cents (I guess the price will change at some point?) I wouldn't mind buying the game beforehand.

Robin64

Can this be bought on the Wii's Virtual Console channel and then played on a Wii U later? I'm thinking of buying a Wii U when it's a little cheaper, and then basically use it as a SNES handheld. For 30 cents (I guess the price will change at some point?) I wouldn't mind buying the game beforehand.

It's only 30 cents if you buy it on the Wii U, and for this month only. The Wii one is full price.

Surprised nobody has talked about the superb medley that Jake Kaufman did, especially given I've seen a few fans of his on this very forum.

Super Metroid - Crystal Flash

I'll probably have this on repeat tonight to make up for having to wait for the extra day for release here.

I think it will be up for North America in about 90 minutes time.

Sometime after 12 noon eastern (9am pacific)

Sweeeet Super Metroid action after work today then!

Jobbs

Banned
Super Metroid. The time is now. If nothing else you need to play one of the most beloved and classic games of all time in order to bring all of gaming into better context.

So play it, enjoy it, and always

fb1164b53b683278fe3d0e90e563d0f9-inspirational-sloth.gif

Bros.

KaiserBecks

It's only 30 cents if you buy it on the Wii U, and for this month only. The Wii one is full price.

Oh, that's a shame. Thanks for clearing that up though. I'd consider buying a Wii U for this (I guess there are plenty of deals and bundles already), but I actually have the SNES version, so it's not that urgent.

Oh, that's a shame. Thanks for clearing that up though. I'd consider buying a Wii U for this (I guess there are plenty of deals and bundles already), but I actually have the SNES version, so it's not that urgent.

No, it's urgent. The SNES version does not have Gamepad support!

Top Bottom