• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm going to do some victim blaming here and say that people who want to play games on the toilet are silly.

As far as Gamepad range goes, YMMV. Some people have great success. For me, it works in some areas and not in others. I can barely get a signal in the room adjacent to the Wii U, probably due to the WiFi signal in the direct path as well as the water heater and plumbing. However, I can play on the top floor of my house in nearly every room. It's weird.

Maybe someday there will be a signal booster.
I think you're absolutely right. I blame every wide-eyed fan who allowed his hype to get the best of him and talk "playing on the crapper" up. Again, I don't think it was intended for this product to work that way, and as far as I know, I don't think they emphasised that "Feature" in their marketing push. Off-TV was mainly advertised as a way to continue enjoying Wii U games when the TV is being used for other purposes.

Anyhow...

I think the real point is that we need Super Metroid 2 on 3DS.

I would piss myself at a SM2. Or M5. 3DS, 2D sprite art, oh god yes. And none of that HD2D crap either. I NEED TO SEE THE PIXELS.

Robin64

A strong start from Japan:

zlCfzQ_C7HUAbVDbSD

I destroyed this game so many times as a kid... easily in my top 5 SNES games list.

I hesitate to post this... part of the fun of this game is the exploration and discovery but for those who are just stumped or who have beaten the game and don't mind seeing where everything is at, here's the full high res map of the world.

obviously not hot linking.

http://i.imgur.com/cn155.jpg

ChaosXVI

I'd love a 2D Metroid with HD sprites myself, with an artstyle similar to Zero Mission. If they want a more Super Metroid style, then go for dem pixels.

Ocaso

With all the talk of Super Metroid 2, anybody know what happened to SR388? It looked awesome at the time, almost like what we might have expected from a "Super Metroid 2", but sadly appears to have been too ambitious for its own good. I'd like to know exactly what brought it down.

oatmeal

Banned
Blah.

Downloaded...started it, thinking I'd play through the intro and save in the ship.

Keep playing...get the Super Missile, get to Norfair...then the Wii U gets a notification. I try pressing hte home button. Doesn't work.

Odd.

So I try to create a restore point and then the system hangs.

I lose all progress.

ChaosXVI

Blah.

Downloaded...started it, thinking I'd play through the intro and save in the ship.

Keep playing...get the Super Missile, get to Norfair...then the Wii U gets a notification. I try pressing hte home button. Doesn't work.

Odd.

So I try to create a restore point and then the system hangs.

I lose all progress.

Ugh...If this was your first playthrough, that would be pretty crushing, but since you got to Norfair so quickly, I'd guess not.

Its amazing to me how quickly I can beat this game now, inside of one sitting, yet beating it for the first time took 3 years of trial and error...I refused to use a guide.

oatmeal

Banned
Ugh...If this was your first playthrough, that would be pretty crushing, but since you got to Norfair so quickly, I'd guess not.

Its amazing to me how quickly I can beat this game now, inside of one sitting, yet beating it for the first time took 3 years of trial and error...I refused to use a guide.

I've beat it countless times.

It's just annoying. The Wii U is garbage.

So I should be able to get the Home menu up during gameplay, right? Otherwise how would I get to the miiverse?

Robin64

So I should be able to get the Home menu up during gameplay, right? Otherwise how would I get to the miiverse?

You should, yeah. I don't know why it hung, except I agree the Wii U is pretty bad at stability, even after the update.

ChaosXVI

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, my Wii U has yet to ever lock up on me, but yeah you are definitely supposed to be able to use Miiverse from within the game.

Robin64

Netflix loading or going black screen is like a 50/50 chance for me right now. Silly Wii U.

Also, where the hell is the US community?

Dai101

Banned

DAMN!. It took me like a month to finish it without guides (then we didn't have GameFAQs and still relies in magazines and stuff) playing for hours at night, that's when i got my first video game binges. More than one time i didn't sleep but just 2 hours and then I've to wake up to go to work....

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Feel stupid for asking, but it has been quite awhile since my last playthrough:

Obtained morph ball/missles (left of ship landing on Zebes), heading back to ship and decided to use morph ball to access a tunnel going downwards. Leads to room with bats and red door (which I can't open), and I can't go back the way I came. Now what?

Robin64

Feel stupid for asking, but it has been quite awhile since my last playthrough:

Obtained morph ball/missles (left of ship landing on Zebes), heading back to ship and decided to use morph ball to access a tunnel going downwards. Leads to room with bats and red door (which I can't open), and I can't go back the way I came. Now what?

If you got missiles, those open red doors (you need 5 shots). I don't recall any areas near the ship that you can trap yourself in like this, though...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If you got missiles, those open red doors (you need 5 shots). I don't recall any areas near the ship that you can trap yourself in like this, though...

Huh... could have sworn I tried 5 missles back-to-back on the red doors already, that just seemed natural to me but it didn't work. Must have only had four left or missed lol.

Edit: It worked, thanks!

Tadale

To be fair, the game never telegraphs how you're supposed to get across the bridge – not like the part to get out of the pit and the wall jumping part.

And, even if you actually hold down the button, it's not immediately apparent what it does.

It's a part of the game that rewards exploring every facet of what one can do as Samus. The abrupt fluttering of buttons can give hints of wall-jumping early on, and the same goes for dashing. Just thinking about the basics can help.

braves01

Banned
To be fair, the game never telegraphs how you're supposed to get across the bridge – not like the part to get out of the pit and the wall jumping part.

And, even if you actually hold down the button, it's not immediately apparent what it does.

I first played Super Metroid on Wii VC and I ended up looking up the noob bridge part too. I always assumed it was something mentioned in the manual and nowadays most people who play never think to check the digital manual.
And btw controls on the Gamepad >>>> on a wave bird

Eric C

Now that the Wii U has 2 extra shoulder buttons compared to the SNES.

Anyone have a new preferred controller layout?

I'm thinking keeping default but adding run to the 2 extra shoulder buttons. Any other ideas?

Mupod

I never had trouble with the bridge because I'd seen that mechanic in games many times before. But I could see it being an issue for those who don't have that 2D background. Still, that's Super Metroid's way - when it wants you to learn something, it puts an obstacle in front of you that requires you to use a specific ability. No forced tutorials, no obnoxious narration, but you learn all the same.

Yes the game doesn't require you to use the dash button before that so you might not know you have one, but in 1994 people still actually read manuals. Or you could just look in the options menu and see 'dash button'.

Now, the
cracked pipe
was what had me stuck the longest. Fuck that thing. Yeah it's obvious when you look at it, but it's just one screen in a whole map of places that might hide the path you're looking for.

Now that the Wii U has 2 extra shoulder buttons compared to the SNES.

Anyone have a new preferred controller layout?

I'm thinking keeping default but adding run to the 2 extra shoulder buttons. Any other ideas?

I put item select on L and dash on R. Remapped aim down to LZ and aim up to RZ.

Remapped shoot to Y and jump to B. Dash is also on A just in case I need to use RZ while dashing...actually ended up doing this when relearning how to use the diagonal shinespark.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Played it for the first time two years ago I think on the Wii. If I can beat it, nobody in here should have a problem. I got stuck in that stupid wall jump pit though, and got lost at some point in Brinstar I believe, other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Deku Tree

Every time I spend 30c on a Nintendo Wii U download (like today with this game) I get a phone call from the fraud detection department of my CC company. Why are they so sketched out by Nintendo?

Neff

Is there a 60hz campaign on Miiverse yet or is it pointless?

Like Robin says there's a decent number of 60hz posts on the SMW board, but there'll no doubt be a great number more when we get the SM board.

I'll be posting there with my thoughts tomorrow.

I was so much looking forward to playing this god among games, too.

Jawmuncher

Playing on the WiiU so I have to ask anyway to turn off the display on the gamepad? Kinda annoying playing off the TV with the game on the bottom as well.

Top Bottom