• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Javier

Work can't end fast enough. I want to go home and download this.

Also, cute Samus Miiverse drawing.

aPY459S.png

Not mine, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of the absolute finest wines among Nintendo's immense 30+ year library of games.

I'm really curious what they were for you. Share with us! :D
I'll just put this whole thing in spoiler tags to be safe :).

First off I never played this game before but I've played a good bit of the first one thanks to the 3DS ambassador program. I've also played all the Prime games and GBA games. So I knew a bit about what to expect.

The first little twist that got me was after getting the morph ball (nice nostalgic touch!) you suddenly run into all those Space Pirates. Just a ton of them, climbing on the walls too! I knew they'd be in the game but not so early and so suddenly.

The second twist was that Chozo statue coming to life. That in itself could be expected, in fact, statues coming to life are a gaming/movie trope. But those Chozo statues are where you get all your upgrades from. Having one come to life would make sense, sure. Lure the gamer into a false sense of security "Hey! It's another one of those generous bird statues!" And wham, it hits you. BUT that's not how they did it. This was the third statue in the game. Certainly not late enough to have already been lured into a false sense of security, which is why I didn't expect it at all. I was already used to them from the first Metroid, the Prime games, and the GBA games. Obviously that was their plan: to trick Metroid veterans who think they know what's up. Well, they got me.

Mael

NA and Japanese version are exactly the same and both come with Japanese subtitles. I own the Japanese version on cart, has English and Japanese language option.

1rst time I hear about a US game with Japanese text on it!
Are you sure they didn't rip that part out in the US cart?

The game that revolutionized the genre. The game that almost turned any hardcore Sega purist into a Nintendo soldier.

Best game of all time.

The game that is literally following the framework of Metroid 1 only easier this time?

Anth0ny

I would buy the Virtual Console version if I didn't just get this in the mail:

qZ1I4uf.jpg

Never played it before. Finished and loved Metroid 1, Fusion and Prime. I wonder if Super is as good as everyone says it is...?

flak57

The sound design is amazing. The sound when you destroy any random enemy is really satisfying.

This seems like a trivial thing, but I remember the way the music faded in when you traveled through a transition tube/elevator between areas. It made it feel like the music was a part of the environment for me, just sort of "there" and a part of these mysterious places, as opposed to just a cinematic "game" thing based on my actions. These kinds of things really put the atmosphere in this game on another level for me.

nubbe

qZ1I4uf.jpg

Never played it before. Finished and loved Metroid 1, Fusion and Prime. I wonder if Super is as good as everyone says it is...?

I would get the VC and not touch the boxed version...

One has value, the other does not

Robin64

I'll just put this whole thing in spoiler tags to be safe :)

That Chozo statue was what "got" me hooked on the game. It's so perfectly done. You're on you're way back out of the room and you hear that SUPERB door closing noise. Huh, the door's gone grey.. There's a pause while you consider what might be happening, then the statue begins to crumble. It's timed PERFECTLY.

Also, if you're really skilly, you can get out of the room just before the door closes. And in pure Super Metroid goodness, there's no penalty for doing so. If you can do it, well done, carry on.

Yazan

Any chance that NOE have changed their mind for tomorrow's release about the 50hz debacle? Where are Edge, eurogamer, etc?

Robin64

Any chance that NOE have changed their mind for tomorrow's release about the 50hz debacle? Where are Edge, eurogamer, etc?

Honestly, no chance. They think a speed-optimised, ratio-fixed 50hz version is just as good but with the benefit of having EU translations.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
When is the game going to be up on the eShop?

I can't wait to replay the game again, I played it for the first time ever on the Wii and loved it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Can't wait to download this once it's up. Reading this thread, I'm a bit surprised on how many people haven't played Super Metroid yet.
Would've at least thought people had played it on the Wii if they never got it for the SNES.

daakusedo

The first time I played it everything was fine until learning the wall jump.
I saw those little guys showing me how to do but couldn't make it, so I thought I was stucked and it lasted a non negligble time. It's a cool way to introduce a move but when it's so complicated to do at first it breaks the flow.
But when all is said and done, sequence breaking is why it's so good.

Can't wait to download this once it's up. Reading this thread, I'm a bit surprised on how many people haven't played Super Metroid yet.
Would've at least thought people had played it on the Wii if they never got it for the SNES.

I was a Genesis kid growing up. I just bought my first SNES last summer and still haven't bought many games for it. I'd love to get the cart for nostalgic purposes but, for right now, this is the best option.

Balb

With the Wii they gave most people little to no extra motivation to play games they hadn't tried before.

cacildo

qZ1I4uf.jpg

When i was a kid, those cartriges were pure happiness

I still feel something strange when i see a SNES cart

Robin64

Surprised nobody has talked about the superb medley that Jake Kaufman did, especially given I've seen a few fans of his on this very forum.

Super Metroid - Crystal Flash

I'll probably have this on repeat tonight to make up for having to wait for the extra day for release here.

When have the past ones gone live in the US? When I get home from work around 5pm will this be up for me to purchase?

I think it will be up for North America in about 90 minutes time.

I love breaking sequence on this game.

I was playing not long ago, and had a friend over who knows SM like the back of his hand. He pointed out a simple sequence break and it just blew my mind.

Did people 'break' the game to achieve this? Was it intended to be broken to start with? It just boggled my mind!

Surprised nobody has talked about the superb medley that Jake Kaufman did, especially given I've seen a few fans of his on this very forum.

Super Metroid - Crystal Flash

I'll probably have this on repeat tonight to make up for having to wait for the extra day for release here.

Yup, that medley is amazing. I was going to comment on it last night, but I forgot. Everyone really needs to listen to it.

legacyzero

Banned
I have a hard time not calling this the greatest game ever made.

If there's one game that keeps me coming back for a new playthrough every year or so, It's this one.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm not sure I can call Super Metroid the best SNES game with Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island on the same system. They form a trinity, that's for sure.

Maybe a quadrology with Chrono Trigger tossed in.

Robin64

Metroid Database have a wonderful interview up.

What about when she dies?

Osawa: In the first phase of development, she was naked. You can see her naked for one frame. We put a bathing suit on her, but there was a subliminal effect for just an instant when you could see her naked for one frame.

Sakamoto: She was only naked for one second out of sixty minutes. However, when we stopped and thought about it for a moment, we had to stop because this sort of thing is terrible in America. (Laughs)

Osawa: It was dangerous, but Yamane* put clothes on her.

Yamamoto: We used the voice more carefully. When she dies, Hamano did the voice, but it sounded too sexual so we couldn't use it.

Hamano: When we sampled in front of the mic, I spoke a number of times. I wasn't any good and completely failed.

Yamamoto: I have to say it was a failure. (Laughs)

Sakamoto: I have a special version of the ROM with that in there. (Laughs)

andymcc

Banned
I'm not sure I can call Super Metroid the best SNES game with Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island on the same system. They form a trinity, that's for sure.

I'm not a fan of either LTTP (especially compared to the NES and GB Zelda games) or Yoshi's Island so I most certainly can.

It's the one SNES action game that ranks up there with my favorites on Genesis/MD and PC-E/TG-16

Although I beat this quite recently I don't think I will mind another replay. Can't wait to make some neato Super Metroid themed drawings on the Miiverse.

Also picked up Metroid Other M at Gamestop for $2.99. Talk about Bomba price. I am guessing they just made too many copies and expected it to do better. Actually kind of excited to play it.

Duallusion

I feel so old having so many kids in here who have never played this masterpiece.

I'm over thirty and this will be my first time. Judging by the reverence in this thread I'm in for a real treat. I hope it aged well, though, 'cause I'm not much of a 'retro gamer'.

R-User!

If I have this on Wii VC and it is still on my old Wii, then I download this 30cent version to my Wii U, and then after that I transfer all of my contents from my Wii to my U, what will happen?

Will I have two versions of Super Metriod playable on the U? I don't want any conflicts, and I want to download SM tomorrow for 30cents, and then a month from now I'll transfer over all contents from Old Wii to New U (transferring next month due to moving...)

Top Bottom