• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Sadist

It's so good. Sucks about the german subtitles

zlCfzQ_FWsIZXN36SD

King_Moc

Banned
There's a little bit of micro stutter noticeable in the EU version when you jump straight up or really pay attention to the background while running. But if i wasn't looking for it, i wouldn't notice it. Fallout 3 on PC it ain't.

lol, why am I considering buying a Wii U for all these SNES ports. Not even joking...loved some Super Metroid back in the day, and having a convenient way to play it sounds appealing.

I have a Wii already, but the VC on Wii U seems like it'll have more features. Hmm...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, why am I considering buying a Wii U for all these SNES ports. Not even joking...loved some Super Metroid back in the day, and having a convenient way to play it sounds appealing.

I have a Wii already, but the VC on Wii U seems like it'll have more features. Hmm...

You could, as an alternative, buy a Super Nintendo. Better selection than the WiiU VC, that's for damn sure.

King_Moc

Banned
You could, as an alternative, buy a Super Nintendo. Better selection than the WiiU VC, that's for damn sure.

You do also get the Wii shop when you buy a Wii U, assuming he doesn't already have one.

Edit: Reading fail, well there's off TV play, which is how i play all of my games now anyway.

Mr Rivuz

Eshop gives me error 107-7511, saying i can't use that card. It's driving me mad, because that's the same credit card i used to buy all others 30 cents titles, and Trine 2, and Super Mario World a few days ago...
I need Super Metroid :(

daakusedo

I didn't remember how to do mockball, in the end all I was missing was running, forgot you could do that, but I saw a video where the player cross the bridge to early super missile just running and pointing armcanon at the floor, what was that? When I tried the closing pillar stopped me.

I wish Nintendo would put SNES games on the 3DS VČ. I would buy this in a second.

(i already have it on my Snes and Wii VČ. Having this portable would be gaming Bliss. Zero Mission and Fusion are good, but nowhere near as good as Super.)

Yesterday was the first time I played this game. Actually, its the first metroid I've played.

The music, atmosphere, presentation, and gfx are all excellent. As well as the gameplay. Boss fights are challanging and unique.

I recommend it to anyone.

I'm on the digital distribution bandwagon. I'm more into convenience rather than accuracy these days, so scouring ebay and old used game shops isn't super appealing to me at this point in my life :p

Though if I ever move out of this 1-bedroom apartment, I may think about buying up all my old consoles again, heh.

Robin64

Finally, work is over and I can download SUPER METROID. Hands down one of the best games there is. Pretty excited!

..even if 50hz.

Edit: Sorry to say I noticed the repeat frame jankiness from the get-go as we're panning across the title screen location.

Edit2: AUF ZEBES BEKAMPFTE ICH DIE METROIDS UND IHREN ANFUHRER MOTHER BRAIN

Finally, work is over and I can download SUPER METROID. Hands down one of the best games there is. Pretty excited!

..even if 50hz.

Edit: Sorry to say I noticed the repeat frame jankiness from the get-go as we're panning across the title screen location.

Edit2: AUF ZEBES BEKAMPFTE ICH DIE METROIDS UND IHREN ANFUHRER MOTHER BRAIN

Yeah, it's quite noticeable right away. It's not as bad as Kirby, but it's very noticeable.

The subtitles are hilariously bad. They didn't even bother to translate more than half of the English text either.

I didn't remember how to do mockball, in the end all I was missing was running, forgot you could do that, but I saw a video where the player cross the bridge to early super missile just running and pointing armcanon at the floor, what was that? When I tried the closing pillar stopped me.

I had never heard the term mockball before checking out Miiverse. Some people were mentioning it there and I had to look it up. Funny that there are always plenty of glitches in the Metroid games that allows for sequence breaking, but there are usually not any glitches that would ruin the experience in any way.

Robin64

I have to say, though, once in game..

Well it feels fine. I mean, it feels really good actually. Maybe because the image of SNES games is better than NES games (NES games look crap), but you really don't spot it unless you're outright looking for it. I've not had any weird Kirby-esque unresponsiveness yet.

I guess my point is, continue petitioning for a 60hz version, but don't miss out on this because you think it will be terrible. It's not.

I've put run on ZR, too, that's fun.

Making Ridley drop the baby Metroid is mandatory:

zlCfzQ_FoIUpYjvODB

beje

Banned
Well it feels fine. I mean, it feels really good actually. Maybe because the image of SNES games is better than NES games (NES games look crap), but you really don't spot it unless you're outright looking for it. I've not had any weird Kirby-esque unresponsiveness yet.

More people able to confirm this? Kirby's controls and input lag were really horrid.

Neff

I've just finished testing the PAL WII U VC release against the US cart on a US SNES. While the idea of 'buying' another 50hz game appalls me, I figure 30p is worth it for an authoritative test.

The frame duplicate judder through HDMI is absolutely noticeable in comparison, and the controls are perceptibly less sharp as a result. While Samus is indeed speeded up, and the scrolling to match her, everything else, and I mean absolutely everything, is running at PAL speed. Your weapons, enemies, enemy weapons, doors, elevators, even the famous opening ship descent takes a good second or two longer. After a while it becomes annoying and I had to turn it off. It's a crushing shame, because it really does look gorgeous on the Gamepad.

It's playable enough if you're not familiar with the NTSC version, great even, but if you are, it falls short, and is a sad, careless representation of a true masterpiece.

Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts are 60hz US versions and naturally are awesome.

beje

Banned
I've just finished testing the PAL WII U VC release against the US cart on a US SNES. While the idea of 'buying' another 50hz game appalls me, I figure 30p is worth it for an authoritative test.

The frame duplicate judder through HDMI is absolutely noticeable in comparison, and the controls are perceptibly less sharp as a result. While Samus is indeed speeded up, and the scrolling to match her, everything else, and I mean absolutely everything, is running at PAL speed. Your weapons, enemies, enemy weapons, doors, elevators, even the famous opening ship descent takes a good second or two longer. After a while it becomes annoying and I had to turn it off. It's a crushing shame, because it really does look gorgeous on the Gamepad.

It's playable enough if you're not familiar with the NTSC version, great even, but if you are, it falls short, and is a sad, careless representation of a true masterpiece.

Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts are 60hz US versions and naturally are awesome.

Ok, that was the kind of comparison response I was expecting. Skipping then, I'm too used to the NTSC release of this game.

That would explain why you can skip the chozo statue fight no pal, if samus is sped up but everything else is not.

I always wondered why it was a pal limited trick.

Robin64

The reality is, we're not going to get the 60hz version. Skipping this because it's 50hz is a disservice to yourself.

Buy it, play it, enjoy it. Complain that it doesn't feel quite right.

beje

Banned
The reality is, we're not going to get the 60hz version. Skipping this because it's 50hz is a disservice to yourself.

I have played, beat and enjoyed this game enough times already during all my life, no need to waste more money on a copy I'm going to play with a grumpy cat face while giving Nintendo more reasons to keep fucking Europe over with VC releases.

Neff

While I respect your opinion and your obvious love for the game, I think you're giving Nintendo rather too much leeway here. This is needless and unforgivable mistreatment of Super Metroid. The NTSC version is absolutely superior, and we're being denied it.

aett

The really scary part about people not knowing there's a dash button is that it suggests they didn't go into the Controller Customization menu when they started the game to change the surprisingly awful default controls.

King_Moc

Banned
The really scary part about people not knowing there's a dash button is that it suggests they didn't go into the Controller Customization menu when they started the game to change the surprisingly awful default controls.

Yup, and then use the Wii U specific options to map it to ZR.

Robin64

I miss the two additions Fusion/Zero Mission brought to the minimap. First, you could see items you have collected and not collected. Secondly, secret areas were green. Just minor, but nice.

Also, this Lower Brinstar music is just.. ;_;

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have played, beat and enjoyed this game enough times already during all my life, no need to waste more money on a copy I'm going to play with a grumpy cat face while giving Nintendo more reasons to keep fucking Europe over with VC releases.

This.

Only interested in playing it if it's the proper 60Hz release. There are simply too many other games out there to waste time playing through a subpar 50Hz version. It's a shame Nintendo refuses to offer the US version as an option. (£0.30 or not is irrelevant).

Shahadan

My god the bitching on miiverse about the french/german subtitles are all over the place.

People are whining for any single ridiculous detail.

Robin64

My god the bitching on miiverse about the french/german subtitles are all over the place.

This is the one complaint I really don't get. It doesn't happen again outside of the intro!

Neff

While I think the subtitle criticisms are unreasonable, it does kill the atmosphere if you don't speak French or German (and from what I gather from the translation, it does even if you do).

The solution is to put up the US version, so let them complain.

Your reasoning is faultless.

beje

Banned

You know what's the worst? That "thanks" to those crappy and horribly badly translated subtitles is why we're stuck with a crappy PAL release. That's why it's extra appalling.

Rich!

I'm outright refusing to buy it for the sheer principle. Doesn't matter if it's 30p or not. Started playing the american NTSC cart on my Super Famicom earlier instead - just got to the red brinstar area.

And I'll get it at 60hz on the Wii U gamepad eventually. It'll be hacked at some point, and then as per usual, we'll get a better service from homebrew coders with SNES9x than Nintendo themselves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that if they do offer a 60Hz version eventually only those who bought it now get it for free so us boycotters would have to pay full price...

I need to stay strong.

Ridley327

I forgot that there's another super awesome thing that the game teaches you without telling you explicitly about it: what the Wave Beam does.

Top Bottom