• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
50hz stupid drama aside, I find it funny/sad that a lot of newcomers seems to be so lost when there is no handholding.
The last hour on miiverse, I saw 8 posts needin help to figure out they could fire in another direction, 15-20 for noob bridge and worst of all a fuck lot of "how do I morph ball" :lol:

I know it's probably because I'm old (25) and bitter, but I think it says less about modern gaming and more about kids just being stupider.

Neff

This is all fault of other m. Now they can't done something unless they're told to

Other M can't be held accountable for a generation of gamers unwilling or unable to place their trust in intelligent game design. For most people, obstacles with abstract solutions, whether logical or illogical, are deemed to be a frustrating, nonsensical waste of time.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the NTSC and PAL versions in an emulator. Both start at exactly the same time, but the discrepancy grows bigger the longer you watch it.

This video also shows how to leave the bomb room
without fighting the boss
, which is only possible in the PAL version (watch between 7:40 and 8:20).

It's easy to see why many people don't notice a difference at first, because the music and Samus' movement speed are identical, but unfortunately everything else runs slower, which effectively will result in a longer play time for Europeans.

Kintaco

Default controls seem a bit akward to me, been so long since I last played Super Metroid. Did any of you change the controller settings? Any recommendations?

Robin64

Default controls seem a bit akward to me, been so long since I last played Super Metroid. Did any of you change the controller settings? Any recommendations?

Yeah, pretty much everyone has changed.

A popular setup round here seems to be run on ZR, shoot on Y and jump on B.

Danny Dudekisser

Controls take a few minutes to get used to. After those three minutes, though, you'll be golden.

But if you're gonna change them, the best setting is probably Y for shoot, B for jump, and A for run.

Socreges

Banned
I'm probably the only one here that's playing this on the Wii with a Wavebird.

Tempted to get a Classic Pro, but the Wavebird is totally fine apart from R/L for aiming.

daakusedo

I walljump so easily with the stick, I have a bit more difficulty with d-pad, wouldn't have thought. I was climbing that wall instead of going to Maridia but as I couldn't shoot the ceiling I went down to explore a bit but didn't remember you couldn't come back, too bad for the sequence break.

Miiverse is killing me guys.
Pauly for President 2016.

xW2jQMe.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

It's Wii U's built in service that allows players to post to a shared forum, including screenshots, and ask for help or share tips and so on.

Can I browse this nonsense on a computer, or does it have to be through the WiiU? Because these pleas for help are hilarious and I want to read more.

Danny Dudekisser

You can use Miiverse on a computer at https://miiverse.nintendo.net/ assuming you have a Nintendo Network ID.

Yeah, I know, they should just let everyone browse. :\

Hmm... I'm guessing it's different than a Club Nintendo ID, because why the fuck would you just have one account system when you could completely blow it?

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to do without the Chronicles of Pauly.

Fou-Lu

I wonder how many of these miiverse posts are actually serious and how many are just mocking the actually serious ones?

Rhapsody

Banned
Usually I end up mapping A to run, B to jump, Y to shoot, but I'm trying to play it the default way just to see how that goes. ZL and ZR are aim down/up since that's where my fingers are. L is mapped as an extra Select button so I can switch missiles faster while R is the VC Menu.

Edit: LOL at those Miiverse pics

Anustart

Can more than one NID be set up on a wii u? If so, some should be set up for us poor saps who want to read these miiverse's.

Y - Shoot
B - Jump
X - Switch Item
A- Item Cancel
ZR - Aim Up
ZL - Dash

I remapped L and R to ZL and ZR on the VC menu. If you really want Aim Down (you really don't need it), map it to select, and then switch select to R through the VC menu.

Heropon

Oh, I made a little comment in Miiverse about wanting the 60Hz version and someone of the defense force jumped on me... It isn't like I said "THIS 50HZ VERSION IS FUCKIN' TERRIBLE"

Did a nice little sequence break to fight Phantoon, involving a Shinespark and impossibly well timed jumps that dropped at exactly the right times. Then spent like ten minutes fighting him because I used his flames to heal. One save state usage, because I got bored of trying out impossible jump and didn't want to try that Shinespark again. Saw it would take me right back to that shinespark and loaded save state.

Usually I end up mapping A to run, B to jump, Y to shoot, but I'm trying to play it the default way just to see how that goes. ZL and ZR are aim down/up since that's where my fingers are. L is mapped as an extra Select button so I can switch missiles faster while R is the VC Menu.

Awesome scheme

iJP6tUvlYK6yg.gif

That's what I hate about Super Metroid. It doesn't have a forced 1-hour tutorial explaining the basics.

I know you're kidding but there's more important stuff to hate, like how long it takes to switch between rooms as opposed to Fusion/Zero Mission and the forced timing to use the Space Jump *grumble grumble*

Top Bottom