• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Those Miiverse pictures are making me rage more than they should.

Oh God, one of them called Samus, "Metroid".

O;FAHSFIAOGBFAAZSFVD

*pop*

Ridley327

I know you're kidding but there's more important stuff to hate, like how long it takes to switch between rooms as opposed to Fusion/Zero Mission and the forced timing to use the Space Jump *grumble grumble*

Honestly, playing through this again makes me wish there was skill to use the Space Jump and other things again. The Grappling Beam is a cruel mistress, but she rewards you handsomely.

Socreges

Banned
So I haven't played Super in years, but I know for a fact that I haven't ever gotten 100% before. It's always been a secret shame of mine.

Anyway, I've come across items that feel like I'm discovering them for the first time, but I soon have a faint recollection and realize that I've been there before.

But this.... this was awesome: (spoiler?) http://i.minus.com/jb06SjJ5i1lWaX.jpg

I've definitely never been there before. And as of this moment I'm not sure how to reach those two missiles. But I haven't really explored the rooms around it and will do so immediately.

So many years later and I'm still discovering awesome secrets like this. Really cool feeling.

Dai101

Banned

I've definitely never been there before. And as of this moment I'm not sure how to reach those two missiles. But I haven't really explored the rooms around it and will do so immediately.

So many years later and I'm still discovering awesome secrets like this. Really cool feeling.

Well...... you reach those from ABOVE, and that's all i'm going to say

Shahadan

I've helped too much people about noob bridge, I'm going to be sick.

I liked it when some kid asked "how do I cross it" and I told him "use B Button" and he replied "I haven't got that yet where can I find it" :lol:

That's a fun corridor to go down. You gotta use the Space Jump to
crash through the walls to those expansions
, and there isn't too much leeway to do so.

Honestly, playing through this again makes me wish there was skill to use the Space Jump and other things again. The Grappling Beam is a cruel mistress, but she rewards you handsomely.
I've had trouble with the Space Jump every now and then, but I think it's a matter of concentration and knowing when Samus is about reach terminal velocity heading down—that's the time to jump!

Socreges

Banned
Well...... you reach those from ABOVE, and that's all i'm going to say
I do realize that and most definitely don't want any assistance. :p

[edit] Nooooo, everyone shut up. If I wanted help with a game like this I would have just used a guide!

Sorry I guess it seemed like I was asking for tips, but I just wanted to share that moment since it was so cool for me (to discover something entirely new after so many years).

Anustart

So I haven't played Super in years, but I know for a fact that I haven't ever gotten 100% before. It's always been a secret shame of mine.

Anyway, I've come across items that feel like I'm discovering them for the first time, but I soon have a faint recollection and realize that I've been there before.

There's also another item up there :)
It's the wood beam

Socreges

Banned
ibnjijIUq7N0p6.gif

braves01

Banned
I'm having difficulty jumping out of the sand. Is there a trick to this? I don't have screw attack yet, but I think I'm in the room where it is.

braves01

Banned
I honestly do not remember getting stuck like this before. Fuck the sand.

Edit: got myself out, remembered why symphony is the best metroidvania

Socreges

Banned
Got it! Finding the 'entrance' was interesting.

That's a fun corridor to go down. You gotta use the Space Jump to
crash through the walls to those expansions
, and there isn't too much leeway to do so.
I'm glad I avoided reading this post! I don't have the Space Jump yet, but still managed to get in. I was using power bombs indiscriminately along the outer walls and noticed that one had cleared a path above. I managed to jump in and roll to the left. *shrug*

Damn, I got there when I already had the Space Jump. Playing this game in high-school leaves me much too strapped for time to truly explore and enjoy it. Oh well...

This is the first time I've played this and I'm obsessed with it. I love games that trust you to figure things out on your own and that there are different ways to get upgrades or defeat a boss. The hardest boss fight so far has been
Draygon
. That fight was long and frustrating but it felt so good when I finally defeated him.

Instro

This is the first time I've played this and I'm obsessed with it. I love games that trust you to figure things out on your own and that there are different ways to get upgrades or defeat a boss. The hardest boss fight so far has been
Draygon
. That fight was long and frustrating but it felt so good when I finally defeated him.

Draygon is simultaneously the hardest and easiest boss in the game. Since you've already beat him, it's worth telling you that there is a very neat and easy trick to beating Draygon involving the Grapple Beam.

Dai101

Banned
Draygon is simultaneously the hardest and easiest boss in the game. Since you've already beat him, it's worth telling you that there is a very neat and easy trick to beating Draygon involving the Grapple Beam.

AND the Shinespark, is even easiest than the grapple, well, maybe not easiest but is even quicker

Thanks, I guess I'll try that one when I replay it.

RedSwirl

I played this for the first time when it hit Wii Virtual Console back in 2007 and definitely thought it was one of the best SNES games. It probably won't stay in my heart the way A Link to the Past did just based on me having played it much latter, but I was still shocked at the caliber of game design and even storytelling that Nintendo displayed in 1994.

W9SjvaS.png

The end of that fight is the "holy shit" moment I remember the most throughout the whole game.

Also, in my opinion the MiiVerse comments just show that the service is working as intended. New players would probably never be able to beat most VC games without outside help.

Man, my image from my "Miiverse is killing me guys" post is all over the Kotaku, /v/, twitter, etc right now.

It's kind of weird seeing it everywhere. Cool though I guess.

braves01

Banned
This game looks way better than I remember it looking last time I beat it, which was whenever it came out Wii virtual console. The whole lead up to Ridley looks reeaalllyyy cool.

Man, I'm stuck. Every new "path" I find that requires any sort of ingenuity brings me to extra missiles, power bombs, or super missiles. Can't find where I need to goooooooo

Also, fuck Meridia. I got there through the tube, and can't find where to go. Particularly since the second sand fall pushes you down.

Fuck, I'll try again in the morning.

Instro

I goggled
draygon shinespark
to see what you're talking about and it brought me this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWJmcIqTlPo

What is going on?! How does that work?!

It mainly employs the quick charge technique to charge a shinepark in a smaller area. 2 shinespark hits drop draygon to very low health and the rest of the fight can be taken care of with a few missiles. That video does it a bit quicker with the wave beam attack.

Man, I'm stuck. Every new "path" I find that requires any sort of ingenuity brings me to extra missiles, power bombs, or super missiles. Can't find where I need to goooooooo

Also, fuck Meridia. I got there through the tube, and can't find where to go. Particularly since the second sand fall pushes you down.

Fuck, I'll try again in the morning.

Take the tube to the bottom area and go to the purple room above the middle save station. Then break the floor

Shahadan

Since I wanna punch half the other thread I'll post that here,
it's interesting to see some metroid newcomers being oblivious to the whole "can't do that now come back later" approach. Quite a few people on miiverse focus on where they're stuck and it doesn't cross their mind at first that maybe you don't have to go that way.

Can't blame them, it's rather illogical when you think about it. Especially in modern game design.

Neff

Oh, I made a little comment in Miiverse about wanting the 60Hz version and someone of the defense force jumped on me... It isn't like I said "THIS 50HZ VERSION IS FUCKIN' TERRIBLE"

This happens a lot on Miiverse, especially regarding 50hz. Seeking out potential arbiters of 'entitlement' and crushing them underfoot is a common internet sport, and Miiverse is no different.

In this case though entitlement is perfectly apt. Europe and Australia are suffering inferior software, while the rest of the world gets games at their best.

gabe90

So I was constantly hitting the lower right trigger (ZR button) while playing and I changed that to the R button on the SNES controller, which is much better. But now I can't access the menu to save progress and modify the controls. Both the R and ZR buttons aim up.

Anyone know how to fix this?

So I was constantly hitting the lower right trigger (ZR button) while playing and I changed that to the R button on the SNES controller, which is much better. But now I can't access the menu to save progress and modify the controls. Both the R and ZR buttons aim up.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Touch the touch screen, that will open it up too.

And yeah, I have no idea why ZL and ZR aren't the default L and R buttons for VC games. Does anyone actually prefer the Wii U pad's L and R?

FlyFaster

played a for a bit on the gamepad. Damn, it looks so nice on there. I thought this about F Zero too. Looks so great on the gamepad screen.

beje

Banned
Touch the touch screen, that will open it up too.

And yeah, I have no idea why ZL and ZR aren't the default L and R buttons for VC games. Does anyone actually prefer the Wii U pad's L and R?

It's the opposite for me, thanks to Monster Hunter I barely remember about ZL and ZR. Feels confortable to my hands, too.

Top Bottom