• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Robin64

I thought I'd blitz through the game last night. I seem to remember getting times of around 1:30. I decided to call it a night after beating Phantoon in the Wrecked Ship, so saved it there. 1:10 on the file already! Definitely have a LOT of room for improvement...

Robin64

Y cant metroid crawl already on 70 yeahs.

It needs more!

Well if I can't enjoy the game in 60Hz goodness at least I can enjoy the Miiverse.

All forums should adopt the Yeah system, for when you like what someone said but don't think a new reply is worth it. Like this!

Also, folks, please start submitting times! We have one so far. One!

Robin64

I really love that Fusion and Zero Mission have pictures you can get that show Samus's early life and personal life in a little more detail.

FGsEniF.png

NQhMZ2A.jpg

I really love the notion of her hanging round in a seedy bar when off mission.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just wasted quite a bit of time because I couldn't remember where to go after you get the Power Bomb (I finally found it, got the Grapple Beam). It's not looking good for my speed run. At least I found some stuff while I was looking around.

But at least I didn't have much of a problem escaping from that pit where you have to use the wall jump, in fact, I think I never got out of there so fast before (and for a speed run, I probably shouldn't even have went there in the first place).

Robin64

I find it sad that the thread where people are mocking new players has almost as many posts as this one now.

Anyway, the first part of speedrunning is finding a route you are comfortable with. I'm sure there are proper "guides" out there, but nothing beats getting your own sense of the world and where to go when. Visiting a certain room might be a crime in the eyes of the hardcore speedrunners, but for the rest of us it's fine. I mean, I always go for a few more missiles and energy tanks than are "needed". Just feel more comfortable.

Shahadan

I fell through the floor in front of an energy tank and am at the part with animals teaching you the wall jump.
But I don't have it and can't find a way to get back. I don't remember how to, but I remember being stuck the exact same way as a kid. :lol:

So am I a dumb modern kid, guys? The solution must be obvious but I can't find it

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
this thread really makes me want to join the party!

I only have a Wii with super metroid on vc, and even that's not completely accessible right now...

edit: Also, I always thought he was called Super Metroid, like Super Mario...
Maybe that's just his upgraded form

lol

Jucksalbe

Banned
But I don't have it and can't find a way to get back. I don't remember how to, but I remember being stuck the exact same way as a kid. :lol:

So am I a dumb modern kid, guys? The solution must be obvious but I can't find it

You always had the power within you.

Shahadan

haha dumb kid indeed. Well it gets even dumber, I can't seem to do it successfully. Samus starts the animation but falls anyway. It's harder than I remember or I'm confusing it with fusion

Jucksalbe

Banned
As far as I can tell, you have to first press the direction away from the wall and then press the jump button (not at the same time).

Shahadan

Yeah, my problem was that apparently you can only do it while gaining height from you jump, and I'm used to walljump with mario, where you can slide against the wall a bit before jumping again.
haha. Should be ok now! Thanks.

Yeah, my problem was that apparently you can only do it while gaining height from you jump, and I'm used to walljump with mario, where you can slide against the wall a bit before jumping again.
haha. Should be ok now! Thanks.

You can do it anytime, just make sure to tap away from the wall just before pressing jump, like the above post said.

Kunan

First time playing this, wasn't really in the know back in the day. This game is great! Have to chime n with the others and say that the weird timings for jumping are really aggravating, but I'm slowly getting used to them. So great playing a game full of exploration again!

Also just swapped ZR/R for ZL/L. Can't count how many times I accidentally brought up the menu lol

nkarafo

"Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M"

Like saying "Zelda Ocarina of Time |OT| Sequel to Link: The Faces of Evil or something...

andymcc

Banned
i beat this in a little over four hours last night. pretty sure i paused the game on the map and was on the phone rather than hitting the home button lol. i guess it's not a terrible time.

Jofamo

I really love that Fusion and Zero Mission have pictures you can get that show Samus's early life and personal life in a little more detail.

I really love the notion of her hanging round in a seedy bar when off mission.

A seedy bar run by Old Bird, the last of the Chozo, by the looks of it. Even though people hated on Other M, Samus has an interesting backstory/universe that I'd love to delve more into.

nkarafo

Even though people hated on Other M, Samus has an interesting backstory/universe that I'd love to delve more into.
We hate OtherM because it was a crappy non-Metroid game with an abysmal story. Unless Samus backstory is indeed your usual stereotypical anime melodrama. In that case i wouldn't want to delve more into.

I started with Prime so I've never played this before - having an amazing time with it. Very pure gaming experience.

When I've finished, are there any other 2D metroids for 3DS/Wii I can get? Or do I have to go for emulation on PC?

Kunan

I started with Prime so I've never played this before - having an amazing time with it. Very pure gaming experience.

When I've finished, are there any other 2D metroids for 3DS/Wii I can get? Or do I have to go for emulation on PC?
GBA VC is coming to the wii u eventually and, with it, Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. Depends on how quick you want it! I believe the only one currently available for 3DS/Wii is Fusion through the ambassador program, unless you want to go really old school and play the NES ones. The 3DS has both Metroid 1 and 2 I believe!

Effect

Played this a little last night and got the morph ball, beat the first boss (I think), and got to the first map terminal in that area. I'm just remembering that I never played Super Metroid back in the day. I have and played Metroid 1. I believe I rented Metroid 2 on the GameBoy once or twice but that's it. I think around the time Super Metroid came out I was really into RPGs and Zelda so I didn't really look at it other then to read about it in Nintendo Power.

The bulk of my fondness for the franchise comes from Metroid 1, Metroid Prime 1 and 3 and Smash Bros when it comes to Samus. I do have Metroid Fusion on the 3DS but haven't finished it. Got stuck in a area and didn't go back. I think I'm going to actually try and beat this since it was only 30 cents. If not for enjoyment just to simply fill this hole in my Nintendo history.

beje

Banned

You can get Metroid (NES) for both Wii and 3DS VC, Metroid 2 (GameBoy) for 3DS VC and Metroid Fusion (GBA) if you manage to own an ambassador 3DS system/account.

Google about the timeline if you get confused with the course of events, as the 2D entries are the "official" numbered series and are set on chronological order while Prime trilogy and Other M are interludes between them.

A seedy bar run by Old Bird, the last of the Chozo, by the looks of it. Even though people hated on Other M, Samus has an interesting backstory/universe that I'd love to delve more into.
I'm still surprised Sakamoto messed with the canon post-Super Metroid so much. There's enough thought put into her backstory for some interesting stories to appear. A game taking place in her childhood on Zebes, for example, would be very interesting, allowing for both exploration and character development. Make it the next 2D Metroid and Nintendo could also recycle parts of map layouts if they absolutely had to.

Pydte

Does this game still have obligatory German/French subtitles on the European version?

Yeah, no way to go around them. Lots of people ranting about it on Miiverse, understandably so. Personally, I can live with them. The refresh rate on the other hand...

hachi

Banned
Super Metroid, on the gamepad, in the dark, with headphones... so good.

I can see that I'll be enjoying the VC much more this time around; I would purchase the games on Wii, but never find the time to sit in front of the TV and get through them. With gamepad portability (and the signal goes a long way in my house, due to arrangement), I'm actually playing a whole lot more. Not to mention, there's Miiverse to keep me excited about everyone playing the latest release... joining the whole community as we replay Super Metroid is a joy.

Robin64

As long as they won't rub their story in our faces and let us discover it through exploration by ourselves, then i'm fine with this.

The feeling of being alone should be high in Metroid 5. After all, Samus no longer has the Galactic Federation behind her.

Effect

This game has reminded me how much I loved how SNES games looked and how well they still hold up. Running in the rain to the ship for example.

As long as they won't rub their story in our faces and let us discover it through exploration by ourselves, then i'm fine with this.
I never said that when talking about a prequel idea, lol. Metroid's story should only stay in the background, since a game's premise informs its structure. Super Metroid itself packs in a good deal of plot development without resorting to anything more than a prologue.

Her distance from the Federation is perfect for a sequel because, wherever she goes next, she's not getting help from anyone.

Robin64

Were there any widescreen SNES games?

And I do mean the fake widescreen that some N64 games did, where they output a squashed 4:3 picture that you stretch to 16:9 with your TV's settings, not real widescreen.

Socreges

Banned
You can get Metroid (NES) for both Wii and 3DS VC, Metroid 2 (GameBoy) for 3DS VC and Metroid Fusion (GBA) if you manage to own an ambassador 3DS system/account.

Google about the timeline if you get confused with the course of events, as the 2D entries are the "official" numbered series and are set on chronological order while Prime trilogy and Other M are interludes between them.
I just wish there were some way to play Zero Mission and Super Metroid on my 3DSXL.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I was really having a hard time with Draygon until I finally remembered the trick to this fight.
Not much left, but I doubt I'll get under the 3 hour mark (didn't look at my time so far, though). Oh well, next time then. :)

Top Bottom