• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Robin64

I was really having a hard time with Draygon until I finally remembered the trick to this fight.
Not much left, but I doubt I'll get under the 3 hour mark (didn't look at my time so far, though). Oh well, next time then. :)

I'm only a little ahead. Just entered Norfair Depths. Wicked music here.

FlyFaster

I've been narrating my journey through the game as Samus and posting it on Mii Verse. It's been pretty fun.

SMStory.png

SMStorypart2.png

SMstory3.png

daakusedo

It's a weird playthrough that I'm doing, I sequence break everytime I can, even got more comfortable with morphbomb jump to go through tiny hole without having the grab move but as I don't know the map enough I still visit everything, it's a mess.

Dai101

Banned
^^ In b4 the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby the babby

Gattuso

6:11 time
64% item completion
I don't know if that's okay or not for my first run-through of the game ever. but i enjoyed wandering around for a while not having the slightest clue where i was supposed to be going at a few points in the game.

Robin64

6:11 time
64% item completion
I don't know if that's okay or not for my first run-through of the game ever. but i enjoyed wandering around for a while not having the slightest clue where i was supposed to be going at a few points in the game.

Yeah, that's a good time for first ever play. It gets you the second best ending, at least.

CrisKre

what a game. Im playing it again for the first time ever since I was 14. Im 32 now. Such a joy to solve puzzles and find secrets. So impeccably designed.

oatmeal

Banned
That diary is fucking awesome!

BTW, after I lost my entire save and had to start over, I turned it on thinking "I'll play up to the Super Missiles"...

Played about 40 minutes and got the power bombs and whatnot. Have to go back to Norfair to get the Grapple Hook.

Socreges

Banned
Niiiiiice....

Just found the Spring Ball!

I had no idea it was in Super Metroid. I know it's been in virtually every other Metroid game, but never found it odd that it apparently wasn't in Super. And I'd played Super before the rest so that would probably explain why.

There's a fair bit of work required to get it, too, so I'm glad it was something special.

Again, such a cool feeling to be playing this after so many years and realize 'Wait, I've never been here before...'

Robin64

FlyFaster, would you mind putting some of those latter-game images behind a link? Sounds weird I know, but we have a lot of new players (which is great) and those are some epic moments there.

Also, Super Metroid has not yet hit my WaraWara Plaza and this makes me sad. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's still good enough to get the best ending, but wow I have a lot of improving to do. I used to be an hour quicker than this back in the day. This time I just ended up getting lost and mis-remembering things.

Just finished my run, too. As expected I missed the 3 hour mark, but much of my lost time is because I got lost every so often (after the Power Bomb, on my way to Draygon, etc.) and I fell into some traps (like rooms that take you back to earlier places, so I had to go around again), so I know where to improve.
Will post my exact time in the leaderboard thread right away.

FlyFaster

FlyFaster, would you mind putting some of those latter-game images behind a link? Sounds weird I know, but we have a lot of new players (which is great) and those are some epic moments there.

Also, Super Metroid has not yet hit my WaraWara Plaza and this makes me sad. :(

You got it. Sorry. Wasn't trying to ruin anything. I figured since the game is so old, I didn't need spoiler tags/warnings.

I'll link the ones I think have spoilers from now on:

speaking of!

Part 11 - (uh, spoilers) http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq202/youonlyknowme/smstorypart11.png

Part 12 - (again) http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq202/youonlyknowme/smstoryPart12.png

Part 13 - http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq202/youonlyknowme/SMstorypart13.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
How do I take screenshots from my WiiU?

Post them to Miiverse (press the Home Button in-game and when you post you have the option to add your current screen as a screenshot). You can copy the link to your image from the Miiverse website to use the screenshot here.

Robin64

You got it. Sorry. Wasn't trying to ruin anything. I figured since the game is so old, I didn't need spoiler tags/warnings.

No worries. It's more a courtesy than a rule in VC OTs anyway. As you say, the games are so old, but we try and keep a little mystery for the newer players anyway.

And frankly, for most games it wouldn't matter. But this is Super Metroid. Super Metroid!

Jucksalbe, at least you have something to strive for next time, the best ending.

I think tomorrow I'll start a new file, try and knock 30 mins off my time and then maybe use that file to figure out where all the items are for 100% before speedrunning *that* nightmare.

Ridley327

Niiiiiice....

Just found the Spring Ball!

I had no idea it was in Super Metroid. I know it's been in virtually every other Metroid game, but never found it odd that it apparently wasn't in Super. And I'd played Super before the rest so that would probably explain why.

There's a fair bit of work required to get it, too, so I'm glad it was something special.

Again, such a cool feeling to be playing this after so many years and realize 'Wait, I've never been here before...'

Funny enough, my newfound mastery of the wall jumping made it so I grabbed that well before you're technically supposed to be able to get it.

Speaking of, I understand why they changed how wall jumping works in the sequels, but goddamn, you feel like a deity for getting into areas you aren't meant to be in because of it. So damn rewarding.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What items are completely optional? I know I missed the Plasma Beam, but didn't really need it. I guess you could also skip the X-Ray Scope. Any other items that can be skipped?

Dai101

Banned
Funny enough, my newfound mastery of the wall jumping made it so I grabbed that well before you're technically supposed to be able to get it.

Speaking of, I understand why they changed how wall jumping works in the sequels, but goddamn, you feel like a deity for getting into areas you aren't meant to be in because of it. So damn rewarding.

BRAVO. That's how you play this game. Fuck linear progressing, Sequence Breaking FTMFW

Just finished got 92% only missed missile packs and even after finishing the game and looking at the map I can't figure out which were the 8 I missed. Took me 4:15 wasted too much time trying to do stupid things like filling the map because I always mistake SM for a Castlevania game in terms of % complete -.-

I also wasted like 20 minutes trying to show my friend the mock ball which I completely forgot how to do. Overall not bad for having not played the game in 4 or 5 years. Everything I collected was from memory so with a bit of practice i should be able to get <3 hrs and 100%

Robin64

What items are completely optional? I know I missed the Plasma Beam, but didn't really need it. I guess you could also skip the X-Ray Scope. Any other items that can be skipped?

Actually this time I skipped the x-ray scope because I forgot where it was. I also didn't get the wave beam til right near the end, so I wager you can skip that.

I also finished with only half the E tanks you can get.

55% in total.

It's really kind of dumb that Super Metroid doesn't display the completion time with the % of items collected

In theory all you have to get to beat the game is the morph ball, morph ball bombs, 3 energy tanks, 2/3 missiles, 3/2 s. missiles, charge beam, varia suit, gravity suit, 1 power bomb, and the speed boots which is 15% items collected (the 2/3 and 3/2 means you get either 10 missiles and 15 s. missiles or 15 missiles and 10 s. missiles). That is all you have to get to complete the game

FlyFaster

There's nothing off about those metroids. Freeze and five missiles. Not weak echos at all.

I had to make due with that I had. Wasn't going back for the other metroids. These guys show up on the way. It's been a LONG time since I've played this. I don't remember everything 100%. Sue me!

Also, they are a lot easier then in the original Metroid ;P

edit:

ok, getting on a full 2d Metroid kick. Feeling it after playing Super.

Gonna play through Zero Mission and then Fusion.

Gattuso

i decided to watch the title screen demo videos and some of that stuff i didn't even know you could do, like healing yourself. now im going to try to get a better time now that i know where stuff is and where to go.

Socreges

Banned

Yep, same. Like bomb jumping in order to fight Kraid before you even get the Hi-Jump Boots. I'm not as experienced with sequence breaking in Super Metroid, but I've been trying to wall jump and bomb jump to get to future areas whenever I see the possibility.

Socreges

Banned
Can someone put (in spoiler tags) how many missiles, super missiles, and power bombs are in the game? I've got everything else (except for the screw attack) and am going to try to get 100% before beating the game. But of course I don't have any way of knowing when I've reached 100%.

Robin64

Can someone put (in spoiler tags) how many missiles, super missiles, and power bombs are in the game? I've got everything else (except for the screw attack) and am going to try to get 100% before beating the game. But of course I don't have any way of knowing when I've reached 100%.

100% Runs (all items possible):

1 Morph Ball
1 Bombs
1 High Jump Boots
1 Speed Booster
1 Varia Suit
1 Gravity Suit
1 Space Jump
1 Screw Attack
1 X-ray Scope
1 Grapple Beam
1 Spring Ball
1 Charge Beam
1 Ice Beam
1 Wave Beam
1 Spazer Beam
1 Plasma Beam
14 Energy Tanks
4 Reserve Tanks
46 Missiles (5-Packs, 230 Total)
10 Super Missiles (5-packs, 50 Total)
10 Power Bombs (5-packs, 50 total)

Total: 100 Items

Socreges

Banned
100% Runs (all items possible):

1 Morph Ball
1 Bombs
1 High Jump Boots
1 Speed Booster
1 Varia Suit
1 Gravity Suit
1 Space Jump
1 Screw Attack
1 X-ray Scope
1 Grapple Beam
1 Spring Ball
1 Charge Beam
1 Ice Beam
1 Wave Beam
1 Spazer Beam
1 Plasma Beam
14 Energy Tanks
4 Reserve Tanks
46 Missiles (5-Packs, 230 Total)
10 Super Missiles (5-packs, 50 Total)
10 Power Bombs (5-packs, 50 total)

Total: 100 Items
Damn missiles are always the toughest to find. I've got almost everything else, at least.

Damn missiles are always the toughest to find. I've got almost everything else, at least.

They're mostly annoying because if you're not following a guide or have a memorized path of how to get everything in the game, you'll look at your map vs a map online and spend 5 minutes at a time trying to figure out where the last 3-5 missile tanks are.

Socreges

Banned
They're mostly annoying because if you're not following a guide or have a memorized path of how to get everything in the game, you'll look at your map vs a map online and spend 5 minutes at a time trying to figure out where the last 3-5 missile tanks are.
Well I've never tried for 100% before (maybe got 80% in the past), but I've planned that from the beginning and have been extremely thorough. I'm hoping once I go through the remaining environments and get to the end boss that I'll have everything and won't need to go hunting around.

...if I don't, though, it'll be extremely tedious. I'd like to see if I can do it without a guide, but I don't know if I've got the patience.

olimpia84

So I finally got stuck. I'm pretty sure the next step for me is to get to the Ghost Ship since that's where you get the grappling beam (right?) but I can't get into that area since I'm trying to access it through the left path off your mother ship (when the game starts) and I'm stuck in that room where there's a single rocket upgrade in a pillar with water surrounding it. Do I have to find a way to get into the Ghost Ship through the elevator in Maridia?

So I finally got stuck. I'm pretty sure the next step for me is to get to the Ghost Ship since that's where you get the grappling beam (right?) but I can't get into that area since I'm trying to access it through the left path off your mother ship (when the game starts) and I'm stuck in that room where there's a single rocket upgrade in a pillar with water surrounding it. Do I have to find a way to get into the Ghost Ship through the elevator in Maridia?

You get the grapple beam in lower-left Norfair (requires power bombs). Use the grapple beam to get over the water in the room you're talking about. The odd looking ceiling tiles are grapple points.

Top Bottom