• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Dai101

Banned
So I finally got stuck. I'm pretty sure the next step for me is to get to the Ghost Ship since that's where you get the grappling beam (right?) but I can't get into that area since I'm trying to access it through the left path off your mother ship (when the game starts) and I'm stuck in that room where there's a single rocket upgrade in a pillar with water surrounding it. Do I have to find a way to get into the Ghost Ship through the elevator in Maridia?

Two techniques without the Grappling Beam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXlcEJLNUo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaeSaTXAf4

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Dammit Maridia is a maze. cannot find my way. could sombody give me a few pointers?
From say the starting point of the broken tube at brinstar?

Dammit Maridia is a maze. cannot find my way. could sombody give me a few pointers?
From say the starting point of the broken tube at brinstar?

Your goal is to access the large middle section, which leads to the boss. From the broken tube, you want to head up and eventually to the right, so you're just above the upper left corner of the middle area. It should be a vertical purple-colored room. Break the floor to access the middle area. You should be good from there.

olimpia84

You get the grapple beam in lower-left Norfair (requires power bombs). Use the grapple beam to get over the water in the room you're talking about. The odd looking ceiling tiles are grapple points.

I see. Will go back and check the area you mentioned. I think I remember where it is now.

That's really cool but I don't think I'll be able to pull those tricks like ever xD

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Your goal is to access the large middle section, which leads to the boss. From the broken tube, you want to head up and eventually to the right, so you're just above the upper left corner of the middle area. It should be a vertical purple-colored room. Break the floor to access the middle area. You should be good from there.

as in the room with the rock snail thingys and the save point and grapple assisted wall jumping? i already made it there. i fell though both sand pits in went into the shine spark area.

as in the room with the rock snail thingys and the save point and grapple assisted wall jumping? i already made it there. i fell though both sand pits in went into the shine spark area.

Shinespark area? You need to stay in the first room you described and head right.

Well I've never tried for 100% before (maybe got 80% in the past), but I've planned that from the beginning and have been extremely thorough. I'm hoping once I go through the remaining environments and get to the end boss that I'll have everything and won't need to go hunting around.

...if I don't, though, it'll be extremely tedious. I'd like to see if I can do it without a guide, but I don't know if I've got the patience.

As long as you carefully scan every room with the x-ray scope you should be fine. I can only think of a few power ups you might miss due to shenanigans of having objects you can walk or roll though but no indication that you can walk though them (Ridley's lair probably is the most guilty of this).

Socreges

Banned
That's really cool but I don't think I'll be able to pull those tricks like ever xD
I laughed when I saw the videos he linked, as if those were actual options for you right now.

The first one, though... if you keep playing the series you'll be able to do shinespark tricks like that. The second one.... is incredibly difficult and frustrating until you've mastered it.

Dai101

Banned
I see. Will go back and check the area you mentioned. I think I remember where it is now.

Just practice a lot and you're fine ;)
The shinespark method is easier to pull than the bombjumping one

What i meant is the first area i described had a small area with missile packs you can only accsess with shine sparks. and i found where i was going now :)

Cool. You should be good now. The tricky part is
breaking the floor to access that whole area in the first place

Instro

zlCfzQ_LE7wPP90WjD

Would have really liked under an hour. Funny that I ended up with the exact time of that one from Japan posted a few days ago.

About 5-10 minutes slower than my usual times but oh well. A couple of bad mistakes really cost me time, I probably wasted at least 5 minutes between the wall jump for the spazer and the the sequence break jump into Kraid's lair lol. Played only on the gamepad which was quite a bit different than normal, so that threw off a lot of my mechanics. Totally blew it during my run at
Mother Brain, I came up a missile short for the first form after opening the red door, thanks to blowing an extra super missile or 2 during the run through torain. Had to double back for a refill.
Quite a shame though because I actually finished Draygon and the Maridia sub boss much faster than usual, probably made up a minute or two thanks to that.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAD4UV51IEd3PA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADbUV57satHXw

zlCfzQ_LJicY1GLWH8

Poor Samus, she ended up with a cheap ass suit.

Neff

..back then? ;)

Haha, well to be fair to them they've made enormous improvements since then. They made 60hz a priority shortly after the Gamecube release, and near-mandatory from the Wii release. We went from getting games months late to getting them worldwide day and date, and now we're getting them earlier in the case of W101. We even get them when the US occasionally doesn't. Other than this Wii U VC 50hz debacle, I think they're making a very good effort these days.

Also, while I was rather dismayed by the apparent lack of protest posts on the Super Metroid board, the popular posts have been calculated today and the huge majority of them are bemoaning stutter, slowness, forced subs and garbled music. So a Reserve Energy Tank goes out to all my fellow protesters for their efforts. Here's hoping it has an effect.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, that's a good idea. Well, depending on how many runs I really want to do I might do that, too.
At least it feels like I'm doing better so far on my second run.

It would be so awesome if the Wii U and 3DS VCs were at parity for the games both of them could run. Cross-buy would be ace.

At least I can attempt to play Super Metroid on the crapper with the Wii U gamepad.
Yeah but that would be modern and make sense and Nintendo doesn't do either of those things.

Mupod

I think I spent too much time dicking around relearning the wall jump/shinespark/power bomb combos and I might have boned myself out of a good ending. But I think I'm just going for 100% this time anyways, since I never did that my first run many years ago.

4:13 and 70%, okay I guess.
And I didn't save the animals,. because screw em ;)

jKnvzv3FhyJXY.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
Slightly better this time. At 1:10 at the save room just before Draygon.

Just got there in 1:16, I think this time I will be able to finish it under 3 hours.

is he hard or something?

i think all of the bosses in this game are pushovers.

Ridley is the only one that gives me problems from time to time. Largely depends on how many energy tanks I collected. Well, and I just survived Phantoon with 13 energy left, but that was my fault for not replenishing energy before the boss fight.

HYDE

Banned
I just really wish they would've allowed the pad to show the map if we wanted it to. Also, quick switching between beams would be awesome. Oh well, game's still insanely addicting/incredible.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
GOD I love this game! Even though I'll never be good enough to do a real speed run I am still amazed at the brilliant design!

Double D

Been trying to buy this but I'm getting error code 107-3051 or 107-3055. Google isn't helping too much. Anyone else get this?

Robin64

Most disheartening is that at 1:10 I am heading to Norfair Depths and it feels like I've been pretty damn quick and yet 7 minutes before that, Instro had finished the game.

Been trying to buy this but I'm getting error code 107-3051 or 107-3055. Google isn't helping too much. Anyone else get this?

Usually means problems with their payment server. Just have to keep trying, I'm afraid.

RMI

Banned
spent about an hour with this game this morning. Brings back memories. Just got the super bomb. I think I'm going to play Other M after this, haha. I have a copy, but never fired it up. Going from the best to the worst for some serious gaming whiplash.

Neff

spent about an hour with this game this morning. Brings back memories. Just got the super bomb. I think I'm going to play Other M after this, haha. I have a copy, but never fired it up. Going from the best to the worst for some serious gaming whiplash.

Don't listen to the internet white knights and videogame iconoclasts. Storyline aside, Other M is a brilliant game.

Top Bottom