• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

I finished the game today. My favorite thing about it was that it showed you intuitively how to do things and how it trusted you to find your way through it. I got lost a couple of times because of the
tube thing and the bosses' statues room.
The exploration of Zebes is fantastic and being able to get some upgrades early was a nice surprise.

MegalonJJ

Banned
For Euro-Gaf:

Just an update on the "50Hz sucks" posts on Miiverse: it looks like the majority of posts in the "Popular Posts" section are essentially "50Hz sucks, please release 60Hz version", so let's keep up the requests and "yeahs" for 60Hz :)

Robin64

For Euro-Gaf:

Just an update on the "50Hz sucks" posts on Miiverse: it looks like the majority of posts in the "Popular Posts" section are essentially "50Hz sucks, please release 60Hz version", so let's keep up the requests and "yeahs" for 60Hz :)

You have to wonder who at Nintendo considers REALLY BAD subtitles to be more important than the proper game code.

Nohar

Hmmm, I read on NintendoLife that the EU version is indeed in 50hz, but it's 50hz "optimised", which means the "gameplay and music speed are similar to the US version".

So, maybe I don't understand the difference between this "optimised" 50hz version and the 60hz one, but I'm wondering if the complaining is or isn't justified (unlike the Balloon Fight 50hz version which WAS a catastrophy for all I know).

Robin64

50hz "optimised" means the main character moves at the same speed as the 60hz version, but everything else (enemies, doors, etc) all moves as slow as it should in a 50hz version. It also means the framerate is not as good and the controls are not quite as responsive.

Fess

Hmmm, I read on NintendoLife that the EU version is indeed in 50hz, but it's 50hz "optimised", which means the "gameplay and music speed are similar to the US version".

So, maybe I don't understand the difference between this "optimised" 50hz version and the 60hz one, but I'm wondering if the complaining is or isn't justified (unlike the Balloon Fight 50hz version which WAS a catastrophy for all I know).
Everything stutters in the "optimized" EU version right now. Complaints are definitely justified.
Reason seems to be that some frames are doubled to get the 50hz version through WiiU's 60hz video output - they're simply filling in the 10 extra frame slots with doublettes.

Edit: If you check other threads about this issue you'll see that I actually defended N for giving us europeans the "original" EU version we all remembered and played back in the days. But that was before it was released. Today I wouldn't recommend this version to anyone. Get the Wii Mode VC version instead, it's still 50hz but it runs smoothly, or import the NTSC version for SNES. WiiU version is crap. simple as that. Don't even waste €0.30 on it.

MegalonJJ

Banned

Wii U 50Hz Super Metroid suffers from:

-The game Stutters
-Enemies move at 50Hz slow PAL speed, whilst Samus and music are sped up.

Botched experience, thus the complaints are justified.

Nohar

O_O

You've got to be kidding me. They can't have botch the game that much on purpose, it's nonsense. What the heck?!
Seriously Nintendo, WHY?
Can't they just swap this version with the US one and be done with it (it's not like the French/German subtitles are useful...)? Because, really, this is completly ridiculous.

Fess

Can't they just swap this version with the US one and be done with it (it's not like the French/German subtitles are useful...)? Because, really, this is completly ridiculous.
Yup.
They should either patch it to swap WiiU video output to 50 hz when running this game.
Or let us decide which version to download. EU version with french/german subtitles or NTSC version without subtitles.

Socreges

Banned
Just beat Ridley and I've thoroughly searched all areas up to that point. Missing 5 missiles and 5 super missiles (ie, 10 separate items total). Are they all in the area where
you go to fight Mother Brain
or have I missed some in the other areas (Brinstar, Norfair, Maridia, Crateria)?

Robin64

Just beat Ridley and I've thoroughly searched all areas up to that point. Missing 5 missiles and 5 super missiles (ie, 10 separate items total). Are they all in the area where
you go to fight Mother Brain
or have I missed some in the other areas (Brinstar, Norfair, Maridia, Crateria)?

There are no items at all in Tourian, if that helps.

Man this game is phenomenal. I didn't know you can go back to the area from the first game and there is all this subtle neat stuff down there like those skulls that turn their heads to look at you and shit. Makes me want to go back and beat Metroid 1 and II cuz I never did that.

This is a real AAA game.

Gattuso

ikV4CZlfZJBuZ.jpg
my greatly improved time.

King_Moc

Banned
Today I wouldn't recommend this version to anyone. Get the Wii Mode VC version instead, it's still 50hz but it runs smoothly, or import the NTSC version for SNES. WiiU version is crap. simple as that. Don't even waste €0.30 on it.

Sorry, but even though it doesn't run that well, telling people that £0.30 is a rip off is utter bullshit. You will only notice issues if you look for them. And you'll need to look pretty damn hard. No one that hadn't been in a thread like this would notice.

MKUltra

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the wrecked ship music on Miiverse, 50hz and subtitles are bad enough but that music is just unexceptable.

Instro

Got bored today so I did another run for the leaderboard.
zlCfzQ_OsPAo-Vh0cM

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUV51I4ArHw

I would have gotten a better time but I got stuck trying to sparkshine across the lake to get to the wrecked ship and had to backtrack 3 times just to fight motherbrain because I didn't have enough missiles and couldn't do the glitch to get through the first barrier.

I remember having such difficulty getting that to work when I was learning it years back, but the moment you get it to work its suddenly very easy. It's basically 4 jumps after you freeze the bottom rinka. Once into it for damage, once away, once back in, and then you will be able to jump through as long as you took that damage from that first jump into it. A quicker way is to freeze it, then jump into the top rinka as it comes down, land at the edge of the platform, jump into the frozen rinka, and finally jump through the zebetite.

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the wrecked ship music on Miiverse, 50hz and subtitles are bad enough but that music is just unexceptable.

Sounds like the PAL version is a real mess.

nubbe

y cant metroid slide on walls?

Wall jumping is hard

Best time I ever got was about 2:45
Was satisfied with achieving Justin Bailey

StayDead

y cant metroid slide on walls?

Wall jumping is hard

Best time I ever got was about 2:45
Was satisfied with achieving Justin Bailey

I'm on my first ever playthrough and I agree that wall jumping is hard. Sometimes I can do it to get up a massive wall, but other times I just fail it. It feels so inconsistant.

nkarafo

Is wall jumping mandatory in order to finish the game? (normally, without sequence break). I don't remember, its being years since i finished it, but i have the feeling that it wasn't needed outside some optional shortcuts and upgrades.

Socreges

Banned
Just finished with 100%. Turns out virtually everything I was missing was in Crateria near the beginning where I had never returned to.

Unless I looked away at the wrong time, though, I wasn't given my completion time? Was around 8 hours.

And there's definitely a learning curve with wall jumping. Once you've got it down, you'll never fail to do it properly. Then there's a mastery level where you can wall jump on smaller surfaces and deal with enemies at the same time.

Instro

Just finished with 100%. Turns out virtually everything I was missing was in Crateria near the beginning where I had never returned to.

Unless I looked away at the wrong time, though, I wasn't given my completion time? Was around 8 hours.

And there's definitely a learning curve with wall jumping. Once you've got it down, you'll never fail to do it properly. Then there's a mastery level where you can wall jump on smaller surfaces and deal with enemies at the same time.

It shows up briefly right before the credits roll. You can definitely miss it if you look away from the screen for a couple seconds.

Yes Boss!

Spent about eight hours on the game today. I'm not sure how far I am but I'm up to the fourth section. I just went back and re-explored all the previous sections for an hour or two. The game is challenging. I'm not using a guide and I'm not using the save state...just classic play how it was meant to be.

This is my first time actually playing. Though I did make it to Brinstar back in '94. Having a lot of fun and great to finally play the game after quite a few false starts over the years. never been a huge Metroid fan.

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Started playing a bit of fusion after i finished super.
Every time I reach a dead and i try to use the x-ray scope only to realize its not there.
I miss the x-ray scope.

Neff

Sorry, but even though it doesn't run that well, telling people that £0.30 is a rip off is utter bullshit. You will only notice issues if you look for them. And you'll need to look pretty damn hard. No one that hadn't been in a thread like this would notice.

If you had played the US or JP version enough you would definitely notice.

It's not the price that's the issue, I couldn't give a fuck about 30p. But we're getting a shit version while the rest of the world is partying in 60hz perfection for the same price. And it's likely that we'll never get the 60hz version at all, even at full price.

It's retarded.

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
If you had played the US or JP version enough you would definitely notice.

It's not the price that's the issue, I couldn't give a fuck about 30p. But we're getting a shit version while the rest of the world is partying in 60hz perfection for the same price. And it's likely that we'll never get the 60hz version at all, even at full price.

It's retarded.

I have played both versions and I have not noticed a difference at all.

I'm stuck where these little goblin things are jumping up the wall.

Y can't Metroid wall jump?

The timing is really tricky. Spin jump towards a wall and then press the e-pad away from the wall. You should see Samus appear to post her legs up against the wall like she is thinking about it. This lasts only a few frames. This is when you hit the jump button.

Edit: there are a few tutorials on YouTube, if you want to see it in action. Once you master it, you can go anywhere.

Gattuso

I remember having such difficulty getting that to work when I was learning it years back, but the moment you get it to work its suddenly very easy. It's basically 4 jumps after you freeze the bottom rinka. Once into it for damage, once away, once back in, and then you will be able to jump through as long as you took that damage from that first jump into it. A quicker way is to freeze it, then jump into the top rinka as it comes down, land at the edge of the platform, jump into the frozen rinka, and finally jump through the zebetite.

I might do another run later to practice that but that Ridley fight is the one thing that really annoys me when doing the run. I do a really poor job of dodging him and end up dying fairly quick. The one thing that makes that fight better is when he can't get you when you go on the left side of the platform and he just bounces up and down for a while. Also, surprisingly I thought learning how to do the mockball or wall-jumping off of just about everything would be harder than I thought.

I've had this game since it came out on the original Wii's virtual console and only just tried it out yesterday. Have to admit it took my about 15 mins or so to figure out how to open the pink doors after getting stuck in that room where all those people on Miiverse were complaining about.

This would've been amazing back in the 16 bit days, graphics are awesome.

Yes Boss!

The timing is really tricky. Spin jump towards a wall and then press the e-pad away from the wall. You should see Samus appear to post her legs up against the wall like she is thinking about it. This lasts only a few frames. This is when you hit the jump button.

Edit: there are a few tutorials on YouTube, if you want to see it in action. Once you master it, you can go anywhere.

Yeah,

I got to that section after back-tracking and only after playing for a few hours. Wish I had seen it earlier as I did not even know you could wall-jump (!). Cute little tutorial section...as is the ostrich power-jump section.

I like it. After spending twenty or thirty tries I eventually made it to the top of the tube and can now wall jump at will. You have to see Samus kinda splay out in the animation. It is tricky but a lot of the things seem tricky at first then they become natural. My big gripe is having the select button on the gamepad so far below, making weapon swap a lengthier process. I was gonna re-map but now I've gotten used to it.

Chopper

So I don't "unlock" it? You can do it from the start?

So I don't "unlock" it? You can do it from the start?

Yep. It's meant for you to find in one of your play throughs and then you discover you can do it any time. Pretty genius game design.

Yeah,

I got to that section after back-tracking and only after playing for a few hours. Wish I had seen it earlier as I did not even know you could wall-jump (!). Cute little tutorial section...as is the ostrich power-jump section.

I like it. After spending twenty or thirty tries I eventually made it to the top of the tube and can now wall jump at will. You have to see Samus kinda splay out in the animation. It is tricky but a lot of the things seem tricky at first then they become natural. My big gripe is having the select button on the gamepad so far below, making weapon swap a lengthier process. I was gonna re-map but now I've gotten used to it.

Wall jumping is subtle at first, but once it becomes natural, its like you're playing a whole new game. I think its the best in game design and this is what sets it apart from the rest of the series.

I usually map my weapon select button to whatever face button I'm not otherwise using. In my case, dash = A, jump = B, shoot = Y, switch = X, cancel =Select. Quicker, I think.

Top Bottom