• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Mileena

Banned
The timing is really tricky. Spin jump towards a wall and then press the e-pad away from the wall. You should see Samus appear to post her legs up against the wall like she is thinking about it. This lasts only a few frames. This is when you hit the jump button.

proud I figured this out on my own. was sitting there trying to do one early wall jump and I figured it's gotta be a 1 or 2 framer max, shit was hard as hell.

linko9

DL'd and 100%ed last night (I play through this game every couple months, so it didn't take too long). Not much to say other than I found the wii u's control pad very frustrating for doing wall jumps. I always had to use the analog stick whenever I needed to wall jump. With the control pad, it would inevitable press the up direction on accident. Glad that more people are getting exposed to one of the greatest games ever made. Very fun playing on that gamepad screen, for some inexplicable reason.

Yes Boss!

And that's why almost 20 years later the game is still relevant

Oh yeah, no doubt. I realize that. It's just that the original game just came out at a bad time for me and never got to play it much. I was twenty in 1994 and going through college and had stopped playing games, for the most part. It has always been in the back of my mind and I'm pretty happy to finally be playing it on the Gamepad. I'm playing blind and learning the game as I go, as if I got the cart back then. The only other Metroids I've beaten have been Prime 1 and 2.

proud I figured this out on my own. was sitting there trying to do one early wall jump and I figured it's gotta be a 1 or 2 framer max, shit was hard as hell.

The timing is very precise. It's not when you hit the wall, not when you press away, but a split second after that. Some sequences can become irrelevant once its mastered, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How do I not have German/French subtitles?

Dai101

Banned
8h:41m with 82% is good right?

Don't judge me!

GB5HvwN.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Someone I know is playing through the game for the first time. They asked me what to do after getting the high jump boots because they couldn't figure out where to go.

Even though I haven't played the game in years, I instinctively knew the answer. I said
try bombing the right wall at the top of the elevator (which is a pretty ordinary looking elevator room with no clues in it about bombing things).

Their response was basically that bombing nondescript walls should get you secrets, not be the way to the next major area.

There may be a point here, but I honestly don't remember everything well enough to know if there are clues, other than "you should just be bombing everywhere". My instinct is to defend the game, but shouldn't there be some kind of clue, no matter how minor, if it's something you must do to advance in the game?

Someone I know is playing through the game for the first time. They asked me what to do after getting the high jump boots because they couldn't figure out where to go.

Even though I haven't played the game in years, I instinctively knew the answer. I said
try bombing the right wall at the top of the elevator (which is a pretty ordinary looking elevator room with no clues in it about bombing things).

Their response was basically that bombing nondescript walls should get you secrets, not be the way to the next major area.

There may be a point here, but I honestly don't remember everything well enough to know if there are clues, other than "you should just be bombing everywhere". My instinct is to defend the game, but shouldn't there be some kind of clue, no matter how minor, if it's something you must do to advance in the game?

You can see that there's a boss to the right of the elevator room if you look at the map.

Davey Cakes

Yes. Use of the map to lead you around is pivotal because it gives you a slight sense of where secret entrances are. Two adjacent rooms with no door? Perhaps you have to find a passage.

Knowing to bomb walls in general helps. It's a basic thing for Super Metroid.

Instro

Others have already mentioned the map, but the fact that the wall is visually very different from the walls normally seen in elevator rooms is also a big giveaway. It's a completely different tileset for the 3 blocks that can be bombed. You would have seen 2 or 3 elevator rooms by that point so it should stand out. Also by that point the player would have run into two spots where bombing a wall is needed to progress further in the game, namely in Crateria and Brinstar, so bombing walls would have been ingrained into the player by this point.

Socreges

Banned
The one secret item where I feel there was virtually no clue at all is the missile pack above (and to the right of) the creatures with shells that had a protective parent (who would spin and attack). The wall was slightly different but using the x-ray was impossible since it was so high up so finding it relies on some impressive intuition. The only reason I discovered it was by watching a 'tricks' video. Otherwise it probably would've taken me ages.

Robin64

I still find it really annoying that Super Metroid doesn't have the two different icons that Zero Mission and Fusion to show "There's an item here, you don't have it" and "There's an item here, you have it".

Add that to the list for a new HD version.

I still find it really annoying that Super Metroid doesn't have the two different icons that Zero Mission and Fusion to show "There's an item here, you don't have it" and "There's an item here, you have it".

Add that to the list for a new HD version.

I agree, it makes going for 100% quite tedious without a guide. Also liked how later games show how many items you have left to find per area, if any.

Really my only complaint with the game.

Others have already mentioned the map, but the fact that the wall is visually very different from the walls normally seen in elevator rooms is also a big giveaway. It's a completely different tileset for the 3 blocks that can be bombed. You would have seen 2 or 3 elevator rooms by that point so it should stand out. Also by that point the player would have run into two spots where bombing a wall is needed to progress further in the game, namely in Crateria and Brinstar, so bombing walls would have been ingrained into the player by this point.

Despite this, it still took me hours to find out about that area my first playthrough on the Wii VC. I even found the Power Bomb before finding the High Jump Boots. I had to look up a guide as to where it was because I didn't notice the difference in the wall.

Funnily enough, on my second playthrough of the game a couple of days ago, I forgot where the Grappling Beam was, and I obtained the X-Ray Goggles and Gravity Suit without it before wandering around enough to find the area where it was held. I guess I just can't help but to sequence break when I'm stuck.

Qurupeke

Fuck you monkeys, fuck you.... Finally completed the wall jump thing... Also, how do you get in the hole after the space jumps? You need a powerup?

Koren

Edit: If you check other threads about this issue you'll see that I actually defended N for giving us europeans the "original" EU version we all remembered and played back in the days. But that was before it was released. Today I wouldn't recommend this version to anyone. Get the Wii Mode VC version instead, it's still 50hz but it runs smoothly, or import the NTSC version for SNES. WiiU version is crap. simple as that. Don't even waste €0.30 on it.
Damn. I own the US version on my SNES, and the Wii version, but I wanted badly to play it on the U pad. Still want, in fact (and will do it anyway). That's truly a pity...

Well why is there german subtitles in my dutch metroid... All the soccer jokes aside i dont know german and english suits me well..

Ow, i can even turn on france but i cannot disable both..... -.- the hell nintendo

JoV

The music on the Wrecked Ship level is all screwed up for me for some reason. That happening to anyone else? Sorry if it has been pointed out a thousand times already...

Jucksalbe

Banned
The music on the Wrecked Ship level is all screwed up for me for some reason. That happening to anyone else? Sorry if it has been pointed out a thousand times already...

Yes. Robin64 already posted a video about it. It's very annoying, but at least you don't spend much time in the area.

JoV

Ah, ok. Cheers. As long as its the only music that there is a problem with. Was worried that the ending soundtrack might be bugged. Now that would make me mad.

Loving the game again otherwise. Haven't touched it in years, and having a ball. Literally.....

Chopper

Fuck you monkeys, fuck you.... Finally completed the wall jump thing... Also, how do you get in the hole after the space jumps? You need a powerup?
I just did this too. No power up needed. Just take a long jump and quickly turn into a ball as you're falling, whilst holding right. I got in there second time trying.

-MB-

Was playing this with the snes pad for old times sake, but figured out using a CCPro is much better, I can map buttons to ZR and LR making it much easier to control it now.

Ocaso

The fact of the matter is that for every major secret there is ALWAYS some sort of clue ensuring that you never need to haphazardly bomb stuff. It's merely an issue of getting to understand Super's level design in order to develop that Metroid intuition.

The fact of the matter is that for every major secret there is ALWAYS some sort of clue ensuring that you never need to haphazardly bomb stuff. It's merely an issue of getting to understand Super's level design in order to develop that Metroid intuition.

Reaching that state of enlightenment where you come to understand the developer's mind (Besides Super Metroid, DKC2 pretty much requires this for finding all the secrets) is a lost art these days. A lot of recent games are more concerned with weaseling their way into the player's mind via preemptive handholding rather than requiring the opposite.

Jucksalbe

Banned

And if you don't, you still can power bomb everything or use the X-Ray Scope later on.

This game blows. I have to pay attention to progress? That's so 90's. Samus should have a big arrow above her head pointing the way. If I wanted to think I'd read a whatever those piles of paper between cardboard-y things are called, not play a game.

Rich!

Yep, that's Nintendo's gift to folks foolish enough to live in a PAL region and give them money for something so hopelessly broken.

NotLiquid

prmCY80.jpg

Time of completion was roughly 7 hours and 39 minutes. First time I finish the game. It really is a timeless masterpiece.

I'm tempted to start all over, discover everything I missed. It fascinates me how a game can be so deep and ingrained in one's muscle memory that people have managed to do three hour non-glitch runs of this.

Fess

Sorry, but even though it doesn't run that well, telling people that £0.30 is a rip off is utter bullshit. You will only notice issues if you look for them. And you'll need to look pretty damn hard. No one that hadn't been in a thread like this would notice.
It's very noticable as soon as the screen start scrolling left/right, it stutters almost as bad as a 30fps game. But I agree that saying that it's a waste of money at €0.30 was a bit harsh. I wouldn't recommend the current EU version to anyone unless they must have off TV play though. The original VC Wii version is still purchaseable I think, and it's playable through Wii Mode on WiiU so there really is no reason to choose the WiiU version right now.

nubbe

they might fix it later and it is cheap and run much better than the original release.
ghost ship music is bugged

but I will never pay €5+ for a 50Hz rom

nkarafo

A game like this should give away clues for finishing it (Super Metroid does that very well) but i don't agree that it should also give obvious clues for 100% completion. Its not mandatory and its the ultimate challenge in the game, so it has to be hard and cryptic.

Once you finish the game for the first time you have understood how the level design works, how your abilities work and how the map works so you have to use what you know and explore the shit out of it to manage 100%. If the map just shows you where all the items are, there is no satisfaction and sense of reward. And finding secret rooms months after you finished the game and you know the areas inside out, feels like you found a secret stash in your own house where you lived for years. Its very satisfying.

SpokkX

I think? I'm not entirely sure. If I can it doesn't bother me.

If you are not sure you can be certain you CANNOT see the difference

Some people cannot see it, if you can it is like the difference between green and red.

Kind of like color blindness except you can LEARN to spot 60fps

Playing the 50hz version right now... The stuttering kind of ruins the experience imo

nkarafo

If you are not sure you can be certain you CANNOT see the difference

Some people cannot see it, if you can it is like the difference between green and red.

Kind of like color blindness except you can LEARN to spot 60fps

Playing the 50hz version right now... The stuttering kind of ruins the experience imo
Nobody can say they don't see a difference if you show a side to side comparison though. There really is a huge difference between 30 and 60 fps, much bigger than 50 and 60hz difference between PAL and NTSC.

Ugh...playing this game again and I forgot how much I despised the wall jump. Gonna have to come back later and try again, I was getting frustrated. The cackling of the little critters didn't help either.

Jobbs

Banned
Ugh...playing this game again and I forgot how much I despised the wall jump. Gonna have to come back later and try again, I was getting frustrated. The cackling of the little critters didn't help either.

spin close to the wall, then hit the direction away from the wall and jump, nearly at the same time, but jump a hair after the direction. once you figure it out it's really easy, honestly.

It's been a while but I think I missed the wall jump alien dudes. Im on my way to Maridia and i remember those guys showing up much earlier. Where are those guys? Not like it matters because I'm dope as hell at wall jumping but I like those guys

eXistor

Yeah I agree the difference is pretty big. I own the US version on my NTSC Wii (I use it for imports and the US VC), but my WiiU is PAL. I purely bought the PAL version just to see the difference first-hand and if you're used to the smoothness of the original version, the PAL version really is bordering on unplayable. I just can't ever shake the feeling that I'm not playing it as intended.

As a kid I was forced to play PAL snes and really, I didn't know any better at the time, but this day and age, it's just not acceptable.

God I love this game, it represents everything that used to make Nintendo great. Amazing sound and graphics, unmatched level design, controls that felt second nature with perfect weight and physics.

This game did everything right, everything.

spin close to the wall, then hit the direction away from the wall and jump, nearly at the same time, but jump a hair after the direction. once you figure it out it's really easy, honestly.

I watched a few videos about it. I can do it from time to time but not consistently. Guess I just need to practice. I will try again later.

Top Bottom