• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

olimpia84

Beat the game this morning :D Last time I beat this was in 1994 and I was surprised at how I remembered the locations of some hidden missiles and such. I did have to look up a thing or two because I got stuck but whatever.

Final time was 6:22 with 75% of items collected...I'm very happy with my results :)
This game is truly a masterpiece and I'm surprised at how it has aged

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm in final right section of the final area, with every upgrade and (almost) item collected. This feeling is my least favorite part about every Metroidvania. Why must good things come to an end? :'(

D-e-f-

Banned
Brinstar is great, both green and red. Best music themes in the game, too.

Brinstar music is SO funky. It's crazy!

Beat the VC version yesterday. 88% in 5:34

I completely missed the Spring Ball for some reason. I knew I was supposed to have the ability at some point but I never needed it until I found that one reserve tank and missile upgrade in Maridia that you can't get to without it. And I was only there because I wanted to clean up some items I missed before I head to Tourian. Very weird.

TAS

I haven't played this game in almost 20 years but it's just as good as I remember it. :) Off-tv play with a good pair of headphones. It doesn't get any better than this.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How the hell am I supposed to escape the rainbow beam?

Also, is there a way to stop exhausting my missiles to get to mother brain?

Anteo

How the hell am I supposed to escape the rainbow beam?

Also, is there a way to stop exhausting my missiles to get to mother brain?

You know how in modern games they do a cutescene when the hero gets hit with a rainbown beam? Not exactly but you get the point right?

Robin64

Speaking of off-TV, I'm really impressed with the Gamepad's speakers. The stereo seperation is superb and gives these old games a really cool feel.

D-e-f-

Banned
How much health/tanks does it consume?

It's weird that you have to ask this question, did you not pick up ANY E-Tanks, Missiles or never look for secrets? You do get the X-Ray Visor for a reason (well, if you get it).

I haven't played this game in almost 20 years but it's just as good as I remember it. :) Off-tv play with a good pair of headphones. It doesn't get any better than this.

So much yes! Off-TV with headphones made this feel like a new experience to me. It's right in your face and the sound is all around you. You're really in it. That's what I love about this feature, easy access to headset gaming.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah, it's somewhat surround sound, not just stereo, right? Sounds great though for what it is.

Yea it's awesome. I played this on a mono TV back in the day. Playing this in full stereo makes it feel like seeing that HD remake of your favorite early 3D game or something.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's weird that you have to ask this question, did you not pick up ANY E-Tanks, Missiles or never look for secrets? You do get the X-Ray Visor for a reason (well, if you get it).
Of course I did. Almost all of them. But on my first go at it, I leisurely allowed it to shave some of my health since I had no idea it had this attack. My other problem is that I only have 190 missiles and went into this area with 27 super missiles (can't go back to refill them since the way back is blocked). So while I'm able to avoid most attacks I ran into ammo problems, what with those glass tubes depleting some of my missiles. So I finally ended up depending on charged plasma and charge beam combos to make up for it... Oh, and for fun I intentionally tried Crystal Flash before the rainbows were squirted. :bow

And then... and then... I couldn't get up and THEN OMG.

FlyFaster

Improved my time!!

smtime059.png

sadly I think this still keeps me in 2nd place unless more times have been posted. LOL, how did I end up with the same time. so lame...

edit:
here's the item %

sm059item.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
Started my third run. This time I'm at 52 minutes in the save room before Draygon. Compared to my 1:16 last time this is quite an improvement. I should be able to finish in under 2 hours this time.
I also can cut a bit of my endgame, because last time I picked up the Wave Beam on my way to Ridley; this time I already got it when I went to that area for the Speed Booster.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
100% clear in a record time of 05:12

First time I ever did 100% Forgot where most things were, got lost a few times...

Game is still amazing.

How many missiles are there? I have 190 Missiles, 50 Super Missiles, and 50 Power Bombs.

230 missiles. 50 Super Missiles. 50 Super Bombs

FlyFaster

I had never seen this before...

Super Metroid powered by google maps?

http://gromba.nl/metroid/?map=supermetroid

Looks like it works for all the 2d Metroids.

that is godlike.

I love this.

Really helps show just how goofy Metroid II's map is. It doesn't line up at all.

funny you say that, as I was looking through them all I thought Metroid 2s map look the most interesting. Just have to get past those gameboy colors n graphics...

I really like how Metroid and Super Metroid's maps line up perfectly, elevators and all. Was kind of disappointed to see that Zero Mission doesn't.

Hey guys why is blowing up the tube (you know the one) necessary cause Wrecked Ship leads to an elevator to Maridia this is bothering me more than it should

iirate

I don't think the Ridley fight in Super Metroid ever gets enough credit. In Metroid, Fusion, and ZM, you fight him in a really cramped space and generally neither of you move around much.

Super Metroid sets your final showdown in this huge ass room, and both you and the dragon are more agile than in any other game appearance. He has a TON of health and is weaving in and out of your sight as the two of you go at it in a largely aerial battle. It's really epic, down to his zero health
desperation lunge before falling apart in front of you

The Super Metroid Ridley fight is by far the best Ridley fight in the series. Fusion and Zero Mission Ridley fights are trash; Zero Mission Ridley in particular is a fucking joke. Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime is pretty good, Meta Ridley in MP3 is pretty neat at least for the "holy shit" for your first time doing it (though Omega Ridley is pretty disappointing). Ridley in the first Metroid is, well, there's not much there to rate, but he is a lot easier than Kraid.

The actual Ridley fight in Other M is probably the high point of the game's action, for whatever the heck that's worth (though we do not speak of the scene preceding it...).

iirate

The Super Metroid Ridley fight is by far the best Ridley fight in the series. Fusion and Zero Mission Ridley fights are trash; Zero Mission Ridley in particular is a fucking joke. Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime is pretty good, Meta Ridley in MP3 is pretty neat at least for the "holy shit" for your first time doing it (though Omega Ridley is pretty disappointing). Ridley in the first Metroid is, well, there's not much there to rate, but he is a lot easier than Kraid.

The actual Ridley fight in Other M is probably the high point of the game's action, for whatever the heck that's worth.

Agreed on all fronts. As far as the bolded, yeah, I actually liked the MoM Ridley fight, whatever came before or after aside. It was probably the best part of an otherwise disappointing hard mode, too.

I also really hate the ending of the Omega Ridley fight in MP3. It's the only time other than SM where he conclusively dies(not including Metroid 1, he gets rebuilt for a reason) and in a way that leaves no real way for him to show back up before his appearance in SM, but apparently he gets better anyways.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just beat Super Metroid for the first time ever, clocking in at 6:14 with 59% item collection. Absolutely loved every minute of it and only had to look up where to go once (which was after the Ridley fight)

Never got the morph ball jump upgrade and kept expecting to get it until the end when I thought maybe Fusion was the first one to add that upgrade. An amazing masterpiece and what an experience. I can't even fathom how many minds Super Metroid blew when it first came out.

New 2D Metroid, please Nintendo?

Agreed on all fronts. As far as the bolded, yeah, I actually liked the MoM Ridley fight, whatever came before or after aside. It was probably the best part of an otherwise disappointing hard mode, too.

I also really hate the ending of the Omega Ridley fight in MP3. It's the only time other than SM where he conclusively dies(not including Metroid 1, he gets rebuilt for a reason) and in a way that leaves no real way for him to show back up before his appearance in SM, but apparently he gets better anyways.

I've always felt Ridley's appearance in Metroid Prime 3 was completely unnecessary and yeah, I always find it to be incredibly goofy how he just up and vaporizes. Prior to that the progression from Zero Mission to Super felt really solid for the most part, and then Metroid Prime 3 gums it up. Which it kinda does to a lot of the continuity; MP3 feels like it was written by someone with a rather tenuous grasp on Metroid canon as a whole.

But yeah, honestly, Ridley had no real reason to be in Metroid Prime 3. Wasn't a big fan of how the Space Pirates were handled in MP3 really at all. Just a really unnecessary wrinkle in Metroid continuity.

"Oh, our base on Zebes was destroyed, so we had a couple of teams scout out some energy sources nearby to hold us over until we rebuild Zebes. And then we became some sort of intergalactic army at the beck and call of an evil phazon creature and we were practically wiped out when our new overlord's home planet was destroyed. And then we finished rebuilding Zebes and stole a Metroid."

Dai101

Banned
Just beat Super Metroid for the first time ever, clocking in at 6:14 with 59% item collection. Absolutely loved every minute of it and only had to look up where to go once (which was after the Ridley fight)

Never got the morph ball jump upgrade and kept expecting to get it until the end when I thought maybe Fusion was the first one to add that upgrade. An amazing masterpiece and what an experience. I can't even fathom how many minds Super Metroid blew when it first came out.

New 2D Metroid, please Nintendo?

Yes. Nothing comes close to the perfection that this game is. As for the last part, sigh ..... i don't think nintendo will ever get even close to what they do one time.

iirate

I've always felt Ridley's appearance in Metroid Prime 3 was completely unnecessary and yeah, I always find it to be incredibly goofy how he just up and vaporizes. Prior to that the progression from Zero Mission to Super felt really solid for the most part, and then Metroid Prime 3 gums it up. Which it kinda does to a lot of the continuity; MP3 feels like it was written by someone with a rather tenuous grasp on Metroid canon as a whole.

But yeah, honestly, Ridley had no real reason to be in Metroid Prime 3. Wasn't a big fan of how the Space Pirates were handled in MP3 really at all.

haha, too true. I sorta forget about how goofy that game was from a story perspective. A bunch of fan service and nods to the series without regards to continuity at all.

Top Bottom