• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hidden Mickey's.... Hidden Mickey's everywhere...

22RDtuT.png

Hey guys why is blowing up the tube (you know the one) necessary cause Wrecked Ship leads to an elevator to Maridia this is bothering me more than it should

If you enter Maridia through the wrecked ship, you will eventually be forced to go down the glass tube and blow it up. Remember that pipe that zips you to the bottom half of the map? You have to take that, and once down there, you'll be railroaded into the pipe.

catabarez

I had owned this on the Wii before but this is my first time actually going through the game. Missed the charge beam and had to use my save state to get it :p

Mafro

haha, too true. I sorta forget about how goofy that game was from a story perspective. A bunch of fan service and nods to the series without regards to continuity at all.
I felt they didn't really bother doing anything with the Aurora Unit and Mother Brain links. They seemed to be hinting at a lot of that but nothing became of it.

Natetan

Speed running this game is so fun and so satisfying. Quick kill Kraid, skipping spore spawn, mock ball, etc. that's really where I enjoy this game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished my third run:

35 minutes faster than my last one. The one big area that I still didn't skip is the whole section to get the Grapple Beam. I feel like I won't be able to get through Maridia without it. And I still did the Wrecked Ship in order.

Natetan

Finished my third run:

35 minutes faster than my last one. The one big area that I still didn't skip is the whole section to get the Grapple Beam. I feel like I won't be able to get through Maridia without it. And I still did the Wrecked Ship in order.

The only thing you need the grapple beam for is the spring ball, and technically you don't need it for that either. And of course draygon, but he goes down pretty quick with just normal missiles.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you play normally, you'd need it for the last few rooms before Draygon. You can get by there with different means, but I don't feel like I'm able to do that.

Natetan

If you play normally, you'd need it for the last few rooms before Draygon. You can get by there with different means, but I don't feel like I'm able to do that.

Nah, just wall jump through those rooms. I guess wall jumping can be a bit difficult at first.

I think it's just one big room. You can technically shinespark through there but that's a bit difficult.

beril

Finally managed to get below one hour (00:59, 32%, pal version, on SNES). Did pretty much the same route as last time, but skipped another missile pack and an extra superbomb and did a bit fewer saves, and I think I played a bit better overall. I was hoping to be able to shave off a bit more, and I feel like I'm spending way too much time on the bosses. I really wanted to learn to shinespark draygon, but it just feels like you need brutal precision. I managed to do a bit of damage to him with shinesparks now and then, but never a proper hit for a real quick kill.

But at least I reached my goal, so that will have to do for now

Natetan

Technically yes. But who cares? Anything that you can do in game without aid (i.e. as in a TAS) is OK

I tend to agree. The game is filled with so many things like this, it's hard to imagine the programmers didn't plan them because its part of what makes the game seem so perfect.

Socreges

Banned
Technically yes. But who cares? Anything that you can do in game without aid (i.e. as in a TAS) is OK
I'm sure it's OK for the 'speed-running community', but I'd never incorporate a glitch into my runs (for whatever game). I don't see the point.

I tend to agree. The game is filled with so many things like this, it's hard to imagine the programmers didn't plan them because its part of what makes the game seem so perfect.
....buh? You think they planned people to go through the ceiling like that?

Jucksalbe

Banned
So now on my new run, I went to the Wrecked Ship early and skipped the whole Grapple Beam area. Got to the save room before Draygon 8 minutes earlier than before (at 44 minutes). I somehow thought it would be a little more.

Natetan

So now on my new run, I went to the Wrecked Ship early and skipped the whole Grapple Beam area. Got to the save room before Draygon 8 minutes earlier than before (at 44 minutes). I somehow thought it would be a little more.

8min is a lot when it comes to speed runs.

I remember when I first got into speed running 8 minutes would have made me excited.

Plus shinesparking into the wrecked ship blew me away the first time i pulled it off :)

If you go back and fight crockomire with the plasma beam one super charge in the mouth will make him walk straight back into the labs acid stuff lol

Dai101

Banned
8min is a lot when it comes to speed runs.

I remember when I first got into speed running 8 minutes would have made me excited.

Plus shinesparking into the wrecked ship blew me away the first time i pulled it off :)

If you go back and fight crockomire with the plasma beam one super charge in the mouth will make him walk straight back into the labs acid stuff lol

When speedrunning milliseconds count A LOT. 8 mins. less? Is a hell of a lot of time, congrats!

Jucksalbe

Banned
8 minutes generally is great, but skipping a whole area, I'd have liked to have a bigger difference (say >10 minutes). It was basically the last bigger thing where I can save time.
I could probably improve a bit, because it took me a bit to pull off the shinespark into the wrecked ship (also had to do it in two steps) and I didn't get through the first big room in Maridia immediately.
Oh, and I couldn't pull off the shortcut to the Speed Booster I saw in a video, that could save another 2-3 minutes.

TUSR

Banned
I'm sure it's OK for the 'speed-running community', but I'd never incorporate a glitch into my runs (for whatever game). I don't see the point.

....buh? You think they planned people to go through the ceiling like that?

Speed-running community really got its grounds from Metroid Prime and the ability to sequence break a game.

TAS are crap though.

emb

I'm trying to finally go through this game semi quickly. I'm not doing a good job, but better than I've done before. I'm at 1:27, and at the entrance to Ridley's layer. I'm hoping I can finish this run with the best ending, then watch an actual run and try to imitate the route. Fun stuff.

Then after all that, I think I'm going to try and get all of the item pickups. I've never done that before, always preferring to skip as much as I could.

I've always wanted to do that, but never could quite pull it off. I'd be especially nervous fighting the boss, considering you get no save point. Even though he's easy, I'm sure I'd find a way to screw it up.

Natetan

I'm trying to finally go through this game semi quickly. I'm not doing a good job, but better than I've done before. I'm at 1:27, and at the entrance to Ridley's layer. I'm hoping I can finish this run with the best ending, then watch an actual run and try to imitate the route. Fun stuff.

Then after all that, I think I'm going to try and get all of the item pickups. I've never done that before, always preferring to skip as much as I could.

I've always wanted to do that, but never could quite pull it off. I'd be especially nervous fighting the boss, considering you get no save point. Even though he's easy, I'm sure I'd find a way to screw it up.

I started learning tricks here granted this was before all this stuff was on YouTube

http://www.metroid2002.com/3/speed_tricks_spring_ball_without_grapple_beam.php

Where's Red Scarlet? She was once the super Metroid speed run queen...

Socreges

Banned
Speed-running community really got its grounds from Metroid Prime and the ability to sequence break a game.

TAS are crap though.
Not sure what you're saying here. Speed-running and sequence breaking for Super Metroid was around well before Metroid Prime. Although I guess the community around it became more robust after Prime..?

Jucksalbe

Banned

Yeah, I survived with about 15 energy left and was very close to dying during the rest of the trip through the ship.

Where's Red Scarlet? She was once the super Metroid speed run queen...

Long gone (apart from a short comeback), sadly.

iirate

Not sure what you're saying here. Speed-running and sequence breaking for Super Metroid was around well before Metroid Prime. Although I guess the community around it became more robust after Prime..?

Yep, IIRC Super Metroid and Doom were what really kicked off the whole speed-running scene.

TUSR

Banned

Yep, IIRC Super Metroid and Doom were what really kicked off the whole speed-running scene.

Exactly that, the community sky rocketed after Prime's release.

Quake was huge too to get the community going.

I really wish there was more interest in speed running on GAF.

Gojeran

Throwing my name into the Neogaf speed run board for SM any%.

SM41MiiVerseSSNeogaf.png

SM41CollectionrateNeogaf.png

Items collected in this run: Morphball, bombs, 25 missiles, 10 supers, 5 power bombs, varia suit, gravity suit, wave beam, plasma beam, ice beam, 4 e-tanks, space jump, high jump boots, charge beam, and speed booster (23%)

Used sequence breaks to get early supers, kraid quick kill, killed draygon with x-factor and shinespark (see picture), killed phantoon with x-factor (wave beam / powerbomb combo).

draygonbluesuit.png

SMZebgateskip.png

Thanks! See you next mission :)

Natetan

wow that's really awesome man! I almost always do 100% speed runs, so I'm not familiar with some of those. I can never get the zebitite glitch to work when I play.

Dai101

Banned
You know what? FUCK IT. Tomorrow i'm going to the local flea market to look for a SNES and a cartridge, i want to join the fun.

Gojeran

Dai101 now your talking! I mainly play on SNES cart on CRT TV. I played a lot worse on VC cause I'm not used to it but slowly got my time down on VC and called it good for now.

In regards to the zeb gate skip I can make a video showing/narrating hows it done if that would be helpful. I'm not the world best speed runner but I can explain a lot of things and would love to help get this Neogaf boards times lower!

Its such a fun and rewarding game to play at higher skill levels, destroying a boss, or nailing a super hard trick (like oceanfly and full halfy) make you feel like a god. Even lower level tricks like mockballs and speedballs are full of SWAG and make you smile.

I don't want to self promote too much but I've got some videos on youtube already for SM under my name and numerous amazing players on twitch all the time you can check out too! I say zoasty and kottpower stream the most often anymore, zoasty being the best SM player in the world and a nice guy to boot.

Davey Cakes

Going for 100%. It's been very smooth, with me getting most items on my first run through each area, but now I only have 1 missile tank left to find and I...don't know where it is.

I already found 100% of items when I played on the Wii VC, but I still can't remember exactly which missile expansion I missed. It's definitely not the Maridia one that tripped me up before.

Probably going to take me an hour to traverse the game and find the thing.

Natetan

Going for 100%. It's been very smooth, with me getting most items on my first run through each area, but now I only have 1 missile tank left to find and I...don't know where it is.

I already found 100% of items when I played on the Wii VC, but I still can't remember exactly which missile expansion I missed. It's definitely not the Maridia one that tripped me up before.

Probably going to take me an hour to traverse the game and find the thing.

Urrrgh. I hate when that happens...

Instro

Throwing my name into the Neogaf speed run board for SM any%.

Items collected in this run: Morphball, bombs, 25 missiles, 10 supers, 5 power bombs, varia suit, gravity suit, wave beam, plasma beam, ice beam, 4 e-tanks, space jump, high jump boots, charge beam, and speed booster (23%)

Used sequence breaks to get early supers, kraid quick kill, killed draygon with x-factor and shinespark (see picture), killed phantoon with x-factor (wave beam / powerbomb combo).

Thanks! See you next mission :)

Niiiiiice. I really need to get the super short charge down so I can shinespark on Draygon. I don't really have the patience for it though. Not being able to do it makes me miss some other speed tricks as well, like the shinespark across the gravity suit room.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Tried that last time, I couldn't pull it off. In the end I really had to count my missiles. Congratulations to your time, by the way.

Did you remember this one?

Take the tube to the bottom area and go to the purple room above the middle save station. Then break the floor

No idea what you're talking about. Right after I break
the glass tube with a power bomb
, I can't find anywhere to go that isn't a dead end. There are no floors to break that I can see - I've Power Bomb scanned.

No idea what you're talking about. Right after I break
the glass tube with a power bomb
, I can't find anywhere to go that isn't a dead end. There are no floors to break that I can see - I've Power Bomb scanned.

You can head up quite a ways and then over to the right. Once you reach a purple-y room, break the floor

Top Bottom