• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

From the sand, go as far left as you can. You should be in the room with the tube you broke. From here, head straight up. Proceed up until you can go right.

edit - by "sand" I meant quicksand.

There's a hatch at the top of the room where I broke the tube. Going through it and then all the way right brings me back to the room with the sand.

Kyzon

Just got the speed boost. Loving the game so far. I am quite bummed that the speed boost jumpy thingy costs health though :/

That's just
the elevator to Norfair.

Here's a pic of the Zebes map. I scribbled on the room you need to get to in Maridia. It's around the middle.

BK_rrIhCYAAgNzM.jpg:large

Oh, so THAT'S what a Shinespark is, lol. I wish these things would be mentioned. I should be able to press pause and check my upgrades.

Shinespark is technically not an upgrade - it comes with Speed Booster, and it's sort of a secret ability... like wall jumping.

I still don't know where to go - I don't want to look at the whole map. But I'll try getting back to
Meridia via Crateria.
Thanks for the help!

oatmeal

Banned
Reached meridia. Trying to see how many items I can get. When I got the X-ray, I went back to the shop and revisited everything scanning everywhere. Found a few things I hadn't ever found before.

Have 3 reserve tanks which I don't think I had ever found before.

Edit
Damn iPhone

emb

I finally managed to get early super missiles and ice beam today. I still struggle to get it consistently though. I also managed to get the green gate trick a few times, so I grabbed the screw attack early. I read about all these things years ago when I first played it, but never had the patience to learn them. Feels great finally learning to do some of the cool stuff I always see.

One thing I've always struggled with though; is there any easy/quick/efficient way to beat the black pirates before Ridley? I float around in screw attack and hope for them to go vulnerable, but it seems like it's taking way longer than it should. I guess it probably doesn't help that I only have a few super missiles and no plasma beam right now. >_<

Gojeran

I finally managed to get early super missiles and ice beam today. I still struggle to get it consistently though. I also managed to get the green gate trick a few times, so I grabbed the screw attack early. I read about all these things years ago when I first played it, but never had the patience to learn them. Feels great finally learning to do some of the cool stuff I always see.

One thing I've always struggled with though; is there any easy/quick/efficient way to beat the black pirates before Ridley? I float around in screw attack and hope for them to go vulnerable, but it seems like it's taking way longer than it should. I guess it probably doesn't help that I only have a few super missiles and no plasma beam right now. >_<

I made you a video to help your issues killing the space pirates in that area, also known as Ridley's bodyguards. Spoilers of course. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xsitoYyBfw

Kyzon

Shinespark is technically not an upgrade - it comes with Speed Booster, and it's sort of a secret ability... like wall jumping.

That's what I meant. I wish secret abilities were explained in the menu or something. Wall jumping I figured out by myself. Remembered the Shinespark from Fusion too.

Is Shinespark a fan-made name?

That's what I meant. I wish secret abilities were explained in the menu or something. Wall jumping I figured out by myself. Remembered the Shinespark from Fusion too.

Is Shinespark a fan-made name?

No, it originally comes from Metroid Fusion (Adam calls it the "Shinespark" in a secret message). It's called as such in Other M as well.

Prior to Fusion it was usually called the "Super Jump" by fans.

Kokonoe

Banned
So far I'm making it through the game without any need for a guide. I got lost for a bit in one area, but I found out what to do finally. Randomly blasting everything is like the key thing that saves me when I'm lost.

iirate

No, it originally comes from Metroid Fusion (Adam calls it the "Shinespark" in a secret message). It's called as such in Other M as well.

Prior to Fusion it was usually called the "Super Jump" by fans.

I could be completely off here, but I could have sworn the name existed before Fusion. Google isn't bringing anything up, anyone have more info?

EDIT: Just checked my copy of the SM Player's Guide, called a "Super Jump" there as well. Hmm...

Socreges

Banned
Q about Metroid II

I know a lot of people love it, but the couple times that I've tried to get into it I've quickly put it down because of the controls, graphics and poor Samus:screen ratio. Why do people like it? Does it have the same sense of exploration as other Metroids? Is finding items as fun (ie, the environment can be seen as a puzzle)?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Q about Metroid II

I know a lot of people love it, but the couple times that I've tried to get into it I've quickly put it down because of the controls, graphics and poor Samus:screen ratio. Why do people like it? Does it have the same sense of exploration as other Metroids? Is finding items as fun (ie, the environment can be seen as a puzzle)?

Not a lot of people love it, mainly because it sucks, but also for the reasons you pointed out.

Robin64

I could be completely off here, but I could have sworn the name existed before Fusion. Google isn't bringing anything up, anyone have more info?

EDIT: Just checked my copy of the SM Player's Guide, called a "Super Jump" there as well. Hmm...

I'm inclined to agree, I'm sure I was calling it that before Fusion, but why...

Q about Metroid II

Much of a more isolating and alien feel than Super Metroid imo due to music and the lack of a map. But basically it was a great game when it came out at the time so probably nostalgia.

Natetan

Q about Metroid II

I had the game when it was new.

You have to appreciate a lot if the things it brought to the series. Samus ship, spring ball, space jump, spazer/plasma beams, and some other things as well.

I like that they at least tried something interesting, and it probably could have been better without the gameboy system limitations.

flak57

Q about Metroid II

Great atmosphere. More linear than some of the others but no hand holding. And it was linear in a sense that there was a specific place you needed to go at specific points in the game, that doesn't change the fact that you will be traversing and backtracking through labyrinth like areas trying to get to that specific place without a map (At least they feel more like labyrinths than they may actually be without one).

It wasn't the hardest game but that lack of a map and the fact that any new crevice entered could house one of the Metroids made for a tense and foreboding atmosphere. And there were plenty of clever secrets as is common in Metroid games. This one added some series staples as far as powerups as well (which facilitate the secret hunting really well in the game).

Not a lot of people love it

Incorrect.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Q about Metroid II

It's the only Metroid game that really feels like a horror game from time to time. But it's also very confusing, because everything looks very similar and the spider ball makes you lose your last bits of orientation. I played it again with a map when it came out for the 3DS VC and I finally saw how simple the structure of the game is, but you never really notice it, if you play it without help.
Think of it as a whole game that's like Maridia from Super Metroid (in fact I always thought Maridia was meant to be a nod to Metroid II, it even has some of the same enemies).

iirate

Much of a more isolating and alien feel than Super Metroid imo due to music and the lack of a map. But basically it was a great game when it came out at the time so probably nostalgia.

It's not just nostalgia - I played Metroid II for the first time just last year and really enjoyed it. Finding the chozo labs at the end of the game was instantly one of my favorite Metroid moments.

It's the only Metroid game that really feels like a horror game from time to time. But it's also very confusing, because everything looks very similar and the spider ball makes you lose your last bits of orientation. I played it again with a map when it came out for the 3DS VC and I finally saw how simple the structure of the game is, but you never really notice it, if you play it without help.
Think of it as a whole game that's like Maridia from Super Metroid (in fact I always thought Maridia was meant to be a nod to Metroid II, it even has some of the same enemies).

Okay, well I also LOVE Maridia, so maybe you're on to something.

Huh, didn't know that about the Shinespark. I only ever first heard it through Fusion, I didn't even think about official Japanese sources. Learn something new everyday.

Concerning Metroid II: I really like it, but I can see why someone wouldn't. It's different and seems ridiculous the first time you dive in but the world is actually remarkably simple once you really come to understand the game's structure. And I really like the atmosphere; it's dark, foreboding, and intensely claustrophobic (though that might just be due to the lack of color and how big Samus is on the screen).

Daingurse

After recently beating this game, I understand. . . I understand the love. I want moar Nintendo, take this shit back to it's roots. I have no nostalgia to cloud my judgement. A good game is a good fucking game. Period.

Davey Cakes

Not a lot of people love it, mainly because it sucks, but also for the reasons you pointed out.
Metroid II certainly doesn't suck. It's one of the best GB games.

That said, I can understand someone not caring for it. While the game had pretty solid atmosphere (considering the feeling of going deeper and deeper into SR388, encountering Metroids, the music/sounds, etc.), the overall experience still feels a bit bland. I much prefer the original game, myself.

From a gameplay standpoint, Metroid II deserves credit though. It introduced what Super Metroid refined. Hell, it even had the spider ball which SM didn't include.

It's my least favorite Metroid game (barely played Hunters and didn't touch Other M, so I can't really weigh in there) but that's just a matter of preference.

Sanic

Finished my first ever playthrough of the game. Time of 4:54 with item completion of 63%. Experience was just incredible, and mostly got better as it went on. Wasn't a fan of meridia, however. Felt like a slog.

I was actually disappointed when I finished, as I knew that it would never be the same on subsequent playthroughs lol.

Natetan

Finished my first ever playthrough of the game. Time of 4:54 with item completion of 63%. Experience was just incredible, and mostly got better as it went on. Wasn't a fan of meridia, however. Felt like a slog.

I was actually disappointed when I finished, as I knew that it would never be the same on subsequent playthroughs lol.

Actually now comes the fun part: speed running. It adds a lot if replay value. 4:54 and 63% is a great level to start from.

Neff

Q about Metroid II

Played it while waiting for Super Metroid to be arrive in the post in '94, having never played a Metroid before, and was horribly disappointed, almost to the point of worrying about my Super purchase. Went back to II after savouring the godlike experience of Super, and slowly but surely managed to appreciate it. It's uniquely disorienting and solitary, more than any other Metroid. It initially seems awkward to navigate because you're basically paying attention to textures to discern geography, but once you realise the game is actually quite linear, it becomes very managable. The platforming, shooting, and acquisition of items is satisfying and fun, and it's very well-designed and well-made. I've beaten it maybe a dozen times over the last 20 years and I love it.

Sanic

Actually now comes the fun part: speed running. It adds a lot if replay value. 4:54 and 63% is a great level to start from.

Yeah, I would love to get to point where I can do like a casual 90 minute run just to kill some time, but I know that'll take some time. I'm shooting for around 3 hours for a second playthrough.

Natetan

So I just did a 100% run in around 1:24. Not very good and I'm not even sure where I can cut time off. Well I did make one mistake, but I used to be able to sub hour pretty regularly.

I'm out of practice...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally finished my run I posted about earlier. Improved my time some more on the last segment (skipped an energy tank and took a different route from Norfair to Tourian), so in the end this was 10 minutes better than my last run.

Top Bottom