• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

oatmeal

Banned
The "Noob Bridge." It's a bridge in Brinstar with low hanging spikes above it that crumbles underneath your feet. It requires you to dash across it, but a lot of new players go in not knowing there is a dash button. Hence, "Noob Bridge."

Anyone who owns a Wii U and has never owned this game before has absolutely no excuse to not get this game right now.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

I can't wait to follow this thread with new people...I just hope people play it right and don't get stuck and resort to guides.

I find the part that gets me stuck the most is pre-power bomb.

emb

Balloon Fight wasn't worth it at all.

Totally disagree. I mean, I didn't pay 30 cents for it. But of the ambassador games it's probably my second most played. I've gotten way more than 30 cents worth out of it trying to outdo myself in Balloon Trip. I also really enjoyed it back in Animal Crossing. It was probably the best of the games available without cheating.

andymcc

Banned
It IS a thread that hopefully will house many new players, so I think it's understandable. Whereas if this were JUST about reminiscing it'd look kind of dumb since it's not a thread for someone to stumble on unless they don't care about spoiling themselves.

oh, i get why... it's just sorta bizarre.

Murrah

Banned
Balloon Fight was worth it just for posting screenshot high scores.

Yep, Balloon Trip is a super addictive and fun high score game, perfect for Miiverse bragging (assuming people don't cheat with save states). If you're looking for deep and enthralling single player experience it's not here, but that and Runner 2 are the most fun I've had with my Wii U yet

I'm partway through a run of Super Metroid already, but I think I will restart for the sake of playing on Wii U.
Will probably use my SNES classic controller though, so none of this GamePad malarkey.
You can do that on Wii U, right?

One thing I must mention is how cool Super Metroid's save station looks.

Super_Metroid_00141.png

It's got such a Buck Rogers, 50s space-age aesthetic, and it clashes well with its surroundings. Other Metroid games have all of this high-tech stuff going on whenever Samus ducks in to have her suit scanned and all, but this tall capsule's so diminished by the scale of the save room in comparison. I think its diminutive size and industrial brevity has something to say about the game itself: not too flashy, but enough of a stand-out thing to work just right.

Not in the US store yet. I want to jump on the 30 cent sale.

I've never played more than five minutes of Super Metroid before. I think I own a cart of it, though I might be wrong. I'm happy to boot my Wii U up again though.

Neff

This game sits comfortably in my top ten games of all time.

And I won't be buying it, due to it being 50hz, and all the associated problems it brings with it, which no amount of 'optimisation' can fix.

Fuck off, Nintendo.

This game sits comfortably in my top ten games of all time.

And I won't be buying it, due to it being 50hz, and all the associated problems it brings with it, which no amount of 'optimisation' can fix.

Fuck off, Nintendo.

Care to elaborate on exactly what those problems are? After playing the 60Hz ROM and the 50Hz PAL cart, I struggle to tell any difference.
The music is fine, the movement speed is fine, I am at a loss as to exactly what the issue is.

Robin64

Will probably use my SNES classic controller though, so none of this GamePad malarkey. You can do that on Wii U, right?

You can. However, I think the benefit of ZR and ZL on the Gamepad will make that the best option this time. You no longer need to have run, shoot and jump all on the face buttons. (Or give up aiming up/down to have run on a shoulder button)

televator

This title is nearly enough to make me consider no longer getting this

Mentioning a masterpiece and a turn mound in the same sentence. Yeah. What's more, is it makes it seem like SM has the honor of being the prequel to such a disgrace.

The lack of a 60hz version is total bs. Why are Nintendo flip flopping with the versions. I'm tempted to not bother picking it up now.

Is the text a lot more integral to the experience with Super Matroid compared to F-Zero? That's my suspicion.

If they put up the 60Hz version, they'd be forcing all the non-English speaking Europeans (Italian, French, German etc) to play in English. It would be quite a task to essentially re-localise the 60Hz US version, and I figure Nintendo just decided that it wasn't worth the effort doing so to satiate a relatively small player base that would give a shit about the refresh rate difference.

GlamFM

Banned
Is the text a lot more integral to the experience with Super Matroid compared to F-Zero? That's my suspicion.

If they put up the 60Hz version, they'd be forcing all the non-English speaking Europeans (Italian, French, German etc) to play in English. It would be quite a task to essentially re-localise the 60Hz US version, and I figure Nintendo just decided that it wasn't worth the effort doing so to satiate a relatively small player base that would give a shit about the refresh rate difference.

Giving us 2 versions and letting is choose is always an option...

There really is no excuse.

Mael

There's no text on Fzero AT ALL.
The whole thing would be the JPN version we wouldn't notice if only for the strange name of the races (if they were not already in english to begin with).

RagnarokX

There's no text on Fzero AT ALL.
The whole thing would be the JPN version we wouldn't notice if only for the strange name of the races (if they were not already in english to begin with).

Yes there is...

Grand Prix, Practice, Select your car, Engine Unit, Max Power, Max Speed, Weight, Acceleration, League, Knight League, Queen League, King League, Class, Beginner, 1. Mute City, Rank, Speed, Power, Ready, Go!!, #Laps Left, etc

That's all text. All that shit's gotta be translated. You could stumble through the menus if you don't know English and figure it out through trial and error, but that's not as good as a translation. Europe has more languages. I don't know if this is a good excuse for the 50Hz thing, just pointing out that there is a lot of text.

Super Metroid has explanations for weapons and stuff, but they contain pictures and symbols as well that should make them get past language.

Yazan

SM is only in German and French. Shitty translation, a couple of sentances and nothing to really care about.

Mael

Yes there is...

Grand Prix, Practice, Select your car, Engine Unit, Max Power, Max Speed, Weight, Acceleration, League, Knight League, Queen League, King League, Class, Beginner, 1. Mute City, Rank, Speed, Power, Ready, Go!!, #Laps Left, etc

That's all text. All that shit's gotta be translated. You could stumble through the menus if you don't know English and figure it out through trial and error, but that's not as good as a translation. Europe has more languages.

That's exactly how it appeared in the European versions of the game.
As far as text goes there's no difference between PAL and NTSC version.
The French version of Fzero has really the same text as the NA version, I'd know I played that before.
Heck for what it's worth, Mario Kart was all in English too.
They translated jackshit for these 2 games, hence why they had no problem giving us the NA version in the 1rst place.
Does the Japanese version even have any Japanese on screen?

i'm simultaneously disappointed and envious in people that haven't played Super Metroid before.

Me too. Though this time I'll make more of an effort to try 100% it as well as trying for a fast completion time.

Probably in my top five games ever. I haven't played Zero Mission but Fusion was definitely nowhere near as excellent. Still good, mind. I did blast through it in one 4 hour sitting though, so maybe that dampened it a little.

Also, off topic, but who is that in your avatar? Looks like someone I know.

RagnarokX

That's exactly how it appeared in the European versions of the game.
As far as text goes there's no difference between PAL and NTSC version.
The French version of Fzero has really the same text as the NA version, I'd know I played that before.
Heck for what it's worth, Mario Kart was all in English too.
They translated jackshit for these 2 games, hence why they had no problem giving us the NA version in the 1rst place.
Does the Japanese version even have any Japanese on screen?

I was just pointing out that there is a lot of text. Shitty localization doesn't make it not exist. The person you were replying to was asking if the PAL version of Super Metroid has non-English translations that make it more suitable for Europe than the NTSC version.

Only partial 'solution' to alleviate the 50Hz wound is to have the WiiU output 576i via analog cables (scart rgb / component for best pic), preferably on your old crt, because that resolution looks dreadful on an hdtv. This removes the stuttering at least.

Mael

I was just pointing out that there is a lot of text. Shitty localization doesn't make it not exist. The person you were replying to was asking if the PAL version of Super Metroid has non-English translations that make it more suitable for Europe than the NTSC version.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that there's ZERO localisation work done on Fzero and Mario Kart except for the packaging of the PAL version.
Super Metroid is different, same for Secret of Mana.
Both had an extensive localisation that goes pretty deep in the game (despite the quality, especially for SoM).

Other M is good. Some people in here need to take a deep breath.

Other M is good in the same way that the localisation of Super Metroid in german is a treaty on existentialism in north Korea in the 70's.

Yazan

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that there's ZERO localisation work done on Fzero and Mario Kart except for the packaging of the PAL version.
Super Metroid is different, same for Secret of Mana.
Both had an extensive localisation that goes pretty deep in the game (despite the quality, especially for SoM).

Other M is good in the same way that the localisation of Super Metroid in german is a treaty on existentialism in north Korea in the 70's.

What is the extensive localization for Super Metroid? And why should people outside of Germany and France have to pay for a shitty translation almost 20 years ago?

Mael

What is the extensive localization for Super Metroid? And why should people outside of Germany and France have to suffer because for a shitty translation almost 20 years ago?

I got ahead of myself on Super Metroid, the translation is not that important.
Still doesn't change the fact that the 2 versions of the game are more different to each other unlike Fzero/mariokart/smw who were really Nintendo France/Germany taking the game's ROM making them run in 50hz and calling it a day without any other modifications.
There's a reason they would consider it 2 different products.
I'm not defending the move to get SM at 50hz but I can totally see why they would do it, like for Kirby's Adventure.

Top Bottom