• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Is the text a lot more integral to the experience with Super Matroid compared to F-Zero? That's my suspicion.

If they put up the 60Hz version, they'd be forcing all the non-English speaking Europeans (Italian, French, German etc) to play in English. It would be quite a task to essentially re-localise the 60Hz US version, and I figure Nintendo just decided that it wasn't worth the effort doing so to satiate a relatively small player base that would give a shit about the refresh rate difference.

I never thought about that but the text is probably the reason. Ourselves on the UK and european english speakers should be given the choice though.

There is no other company that I love and hate in equal measure like Nintendo!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is the text a lot more integral to the experience with Super Matroid compared to F-Zero? That's my suspicion.

If they put up the 60Hz version, they'd be forcing all the non-English speaking Europeans (Italian, French, German etc) to play in English. It would be quite a task to essentially re-localise the 60Hz US version, and I figure Nintendo just decided that it wasn't worth the effort doing so to satiate a relatively small player base that would give a shit about the refresh rate difference.

There are like 3 lines of translated text.

RedShift

Playing this for the first time at the moment.

Just got the grapple beam and X ray, exploring abandoned ship. Hope I find the Gravity Suit soon.

Impressions: Controls are not as tight as the GBA games, but I think I prefer the level design of this one. I love how all the instruction you're given is 'find the baby Metroid', and you have to figure everything else out yourself. I hate having to select weapons with a toggle button instead of just holing R, I always forget I have power bombs enabled.

Also my mind was blown when I realised I had to turn my high jump boots off to get back into Norfair. Unless I didn't have to do that and I was just being an idiot.

Robin64

Also my mind was blown when I realised I had to turn my high jump boots off to get back into Norfair. Unless I didn't have to do that and I was just being an idiot.

You never have to turn those off once you get them. What led you think you did?

Love the thread, but the title makes me sad :eek:(

I know, I cheekily misused the word prequel. That's the gag, y'see.

profit

Wait, is it only 30 cents on the Wii U VC, or on the Wii VC aswell? I dont have access to my Wii right now and I do not own a Wii U (yet).

RedShift

You never have to turn those off once you get them. What led you think you did?
Hold on...
ZkO81wP.png

I spent ages trying to make this jump with the high jump boots and no gravity suit and couldn't, I kept bouncing of the ceiling and into the water. Without them it's easy.

Robin64

I spent ages trying to make this jump with the high jump boots and no gravity suit and couldn't, I kept bouncing of the ceiling and into the water. Without them it's easy.

A tapped somersault jump should be okay there. Pretty sure you won't get anywhere near the ceiling with just a tap.

Javier

For the people asking if this game is worth 30 cents... I'd say every NES and SNES game is worth 30 cents, except maybe some absolute broken games that no one should ever play. I mean come on, it's THIRTY CENTS.

Super Metroid in particular is worth 30 bucks.

Jazzem

Cannot believe they're going with the 50Hz version...it's like we can't put that stupid issue completely behind us -_-

Celegus

Whoever came up with that thread title is a horrible person, but I hope all you guys love the game when the update arrives. So so good!

olimpia84

My pocket change is ready. Will download this masterpiece.
Super Metroid was my first SNES game along with Super Mario World so I have a lot of fond memories of this game.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
My first portable Nintendo experience was with the original Game Boy (other than Game & Watch). I bought Tetris, Kirby's Dream Land and Metroid II.

I LOVED Metroid II. My Mother used to play it too, I remember she used to draw maps so she could backtrack easily when playing through the levels. I managed to complete the game in the end (I was about 8 years old).

I never got to play it's sequel Super Metroid. I can't wait to get my hands on this game tomorrow and finally continue my schoolboy adventure as Samus!

Robin64

That was going to be me but then I heard about 50Hz and I'm not sure if I want to experience the game first time that way.

I'm really torn on this. I mean, they've shat on us, but it's Super Metroid. I think it's probably worth downloading for 30p, playing through the Ceres intro and seeing how it feels.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That was going to be me but then I heard about 50Hz and I'm not sure if I want to experience the game first time that way.

It's not even true to the original 50hz version considering Wii U introduces stuttering for 50hz content because it repeats a frame rather than skipping it. Or something like that!

Robin64

So the only version of the game without subtitles is the NA version?

In an interview, the developers said that Japanese people find an English voice to be "warm".

Were Japanese subtitles a 'super' idea?

Sakamoto: That was during the development phase.

Osawa: At any rate, that made it look like a movie.

Sakamoto: It's funny, but Japanese players also say seeing the opening message in English is pretty cool. Something, when it's written in English, has a warm atmosphere.

I can't believe I've never played this game. I'm 10 minutes in and already two little twists happened that blew me away.

The sound design is amazing. The sound when you destroy any random enemy is really satisfying.

Mael

In an interview, the developers said that Japanese people find an English voice to be "warm".

That actually sheds light as to how and why it was never popular in Japan...
Pretty damning to have a product aimed primarly at a market, fail there only to succeed elsewhere.
Taniguchi can relate I guess.

Robin64

Not criticizing. Mostly jealous.

Agreed. The amount of times I've wished I could erase memories of Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger... basically the big SNES games. To experience that first time again, wow..

You first timers here today are the luckiest people.

drspeedy

I can't believe I've never played this game. I'm 10 minutes in and already two little twists happened that blew me away.

The sound design is amazing. The sound when you destroy any random enemy is really satisfying.

I think SM has the best audio of any video game ever. SNES audio is god-tier in general (sure, nostalgia goggles and all that), but Super Metroid has the whole package. Enjoy the soundtrack and the way music transitions as you enter new areas/rooms.

Man, the atmosphere in this game. Just thinking about it is making me want to replay this for the 100th time...

Robin64

Is there a way to view Japanese communities from NA on Wii U or even the miiverse website, without doing things like clicking above for a direct link to a JP community?

On the website, on the Communities page, there is a region selector at the bottom.

There's one on the Wii U's Miiverse page somewhere too, though I'm at work and can't remember exactly where.

The game that revolutionized the genre. The game that almost turned any hardcore Sega purist into a Nintendo soldier.

Best game of all time.

Top Bottom