• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

CDX

Never played this, is it worth the price?

Super Metroid is worth the standard $8 or whatever Nintendo charges for VC SNES games.

For 30 cents everybody that owns a Wii U better buy this.

Aha, I was under the impression that it wasn't going to be on the trial program for some reason. Dun goofed.

*sigh*

Mods please edit 30 cents into the thread title somewhere, please.

emb

Is it possible to use a credit card and get charged exactly 30 cents on the eShop? Or do I have to put 5 or 10 bucks worth of credit on there as a minimum (similar to how Wii points worked)?

Even though I have SM on the Wii VC (already transferred to Wii U even), this is still a pretty good deal.

Gattuso

Is it possible to use a credit card and get charged exactly 30 cents on the eShop? Or do I have to put 5 or 10 bucks worth of credit on there as a minimum (similar to how Wii points worked)?

Even though I have SM on the Wii VC (already transferred to Wii U even), this is still a pretty good deal.

yes just click purchase on the game and it will ask you to add funds or pay remainder using a credit card. paying remainder will only charge you the 30 cents.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
One of the most appealing parts of Super Metroid to me was how simple the plot was and how well the atmosphere of the game felt. You feel alone and yet completely surrounded. The planet is living and you're all by yourself on your mission. I think that's one of the reasons Metroid Prime did so well. They were both very comparable to each other in ways that the rest of the Metroid games couldn't quite grasp.

I mean the first was establishment, the second was experimental and trying to see how they could bring it to portables, as well as a bit of expansion on the story and mythos. Then post Super and Prime we get Fusion, which is a very good game, but you lost the sense of solitary exploration. The same could be said of the games that came after in both 2D and 3D.

But enough of that rambling. I strongly urge any and all to purchase this game tomorrow and experience how good it is. It holds up extraordinarily well and is a prime example of a good game always being a good game. Plus, tell your friends about it and maybe it'll push one or two Wii Us.

OmahaG8

I think this might belong in the thread about games not admitted to having skipped. Born in 86, gamed the hell out of the 90's, and I never - not once, played this game.

So here's to what I am sure will be a wonderful experience!

And $.30 - thanks Ninty.

andymcc

Banned
I think this might belong in the thread about games not admitted to having skipped. Born in 86, gamed the hell out of the 90's, and I never - not once, played this game.

you really missed out.

i was 9 (about to turn 10) when this game came out. i'm an only child and my parents made pretty good money. like many only children, i was sort of spoiled. however, around when this game came out, my family had hit hard financial times due to my dad getting laid off. we had a spring-cleaning yardsale and i sold off all of my old childhood toys and, remarkably, pulled enough money together to get this. my best friend (then and now) went with me to the mall, I bought Super Metroid and he got... Mega Man 6. We had two TVs hooked up in one room, one with Super Metroid and the other running Mega Man 6. After only moments, he put down Mega Man 6, you could tell he was envious.

i played this game for months, no strategy guides.

i love this fucking game.

Still one of the best games ever made, definitely in my top ten.

*Swoon*

Can't wait to play and beat this for like the hundredth time. :D

It's actually difficult to find ANYTHING that costs 30 cents these days. I would buy almost any console game ever for 30 cents, much less one of the best in history.

Davey Cakes

Super Metroid is worth the standard $8 or whatever Nintendo charges for VC SNES games.

For 30 cents everybody that owns a Wii U better buy this.
Seriously. Even if you think you won't play it, just buy it to support it. As one of the best games ever, the sales are well-deserved.

30 cents is the price of five sticks of gum, if that, and you can pay the exact amount.

If you haven't played Super Metroid at all, it comes 100% recommended anyway.

Agreed. Super doesn't hold up so well after Zero Mission and Fusion.
It holds up well enough, and is easily superior to Fusion in almost every way.

With Zero Mission, I think it's more arguable. That game is basically a combination of the original Metroid, Super, and Fusion. It's a near-perfect blend of these three games, and has a great remixed (and original) soundtrack and improved controls.

Sometimes I almost feel like Zero Mission is overlooked. For me it's easily in the Top 3 Metroid games, along with Super and Prime.

In the end, however, it's easy to see why people appreciate Super the most. I played it to completion before and after Fusion and Zero Mission and it continued to hold up.

gotee12

My only experience with Super Metroid was a brief rental when it first came out oh so many moons ago. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly if there are people who won't pay 30 fucking cents for Super Metroid I'll Paypal them 30 cents. Just buy the game.

I've forgotten that the 30 cents thing updates around this time. I'm definitely buying this tomorrow. This will be the first time that I play Super Metroid and I'm very excited about it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Honestly if there are people who won't pay 30 fucking cents for Super Metroid I'll Paypal them 30 cents. Just buy the game.

If there are people who won't pay 30 cents for Super Metroid, they don't deserve to experience Super Metroid.

Like throwing pearls before swine

The Hermit

I wish we could see a Metroid game in the future in full HD like this.

Its a pretty picture, but I doubt it can be animated decently.
Honestly, I have yet to see a 2d HD game with better animation than old pixel based games...

And what a way to troll with the title OP, I liked it!

Can't wait to see how many
can't cross that bridge, you know which one ;)

The only time I ever had to look to gamefaqs for this game, even though I forbid myself ;_; #shame

EDIT: #doubleshame for using #

EDIT2: wait a minute, I though this was about
the Meridia glass bridge
. Jesus Christ if it is about the other one...

Not sure which bridge you're talking about...

Meridia Power Bomb?

The "Noob Bridge." It's a bridge in Brinstar with low hanging spikes above it that crumbles underneath your feet. It requires you to dash across it, but a lot of new players go in not knowing there is a dash button. Hence, "Noob Bridge."

Anyone who owns a Wii U and has never owned this game before has absolutely no excuse to not get this game right now.

Eusis

For 30 cents, I'd buy Too Human.
Yeah, 30 cents is awfully easy to justify, the only way you won't be able to do it is if EVERY game is 30 cents, and that'd still entail getting every game that interests you for good OR bad reasons.
it's weird to see tons of spoiler markings for a game that will be 20 next year.
It IS a thread that hopefully will house many new players, so I think it's understandable. Whereas if this were JUST about reminiscing it'd look kind of dumb since it's not a thread for someone to stumble on unless they don't care about spoiling themselves.

Top Bottom