• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

jnWake

What changed so much from Brawl to S4 with Falco?

I'm only familiar with Falco in Melee where shine and that stupid Dair make him broken.

PK Gaming

What changed so much from Brawl to S4 with Falco?

I'm only familiar with Falco in Melee where shine and that stupid Dair make him broken.

With the exception of Chaingrabbing and his blaster, Smash 4 Falco is actually a better than Brawl Falco if you can believe it.

But those 2 big changes were big. Chaingrabbing was free, consistent damage. And Falco could camp with his lasers and most characters couldn't do jack squat.

It's a shame because I really them to buff him since Falco's awesome, but his Brawl incarnation was just an abomination.

Brawl Falco had that crazy active dair though, whereas Sm4sh Falco needs to sweetspot to get the spike and the move has heavy startup. Falco's also one of the characters affected by the loss of DACUS, missing a strong approach option and a decent combo ender.

The loss of chaingrabbing and autocancel lasers is understandable, as well as DACUS to an extent. The major problem with Sm4sh Falco is with his lack of good, safe approach options that let him win neutral against the top tier of this game. It doesn't help his grabs are slower now. Sure, his aerials are mostly improved and his combo game is still great, but this game is heavily reliant on getting that first grab in, and Falco isn't fast enough or has the range to reliably get in the grabs he needs to start his combos.

His bair is hella good tho just saying

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wolf has the best bair and dsmash

:(

Off the top of my head, I never cared for the Star Fox character designs in Melee. Combined with the Engrish voice work (particularly gruff Falco, which ironically is Sakurai's favorite), they always felt very unfamiliar to me.

In Melee the Star Fox voices are actually Japanese but had muted lines iirc.

And yeah Assault Star Fox voice is great. Though in Brawl while they brought back 2 of the VAs, it was only Fox who returned properly (Falco's Brawl VA was Assault ROB64). Wolf was a new one (Jay Ward), since Grant Goodeve (his Assault VA) had retired, but man he did get the voice so well.

"Retired" as in "I'm retired, but I'll still voice Engineer occasionally because Valve writes a fat check for like 6 lines I can record from home"

Since he still voices Engineer every so often, although Nolan North doing his best Goodeve impression has also voiced Engineer more often recently, so maybe he's getting close to fully retired.

Jay Ward is the best Wolf voice.

Boss Doggie

Yes, but I was referring to the taunt/Adventure mode messages. Fox and Falco were also "just fine," whereas Chris Seavor's Peppy and Slippy are nightmares unto themselves.
Ahh right

but the Smash 4 "taunt" was the worst, it feels many levels of wrong, which really sucks when you look at the majesty that was lylat cruise "taunt"

"Retired" as in "I'm retired, but I'll still voice Engineer occasionally because Valve writes a fat check for like 6 lines I can record from home"

Since he still voices Engineer every so often, although Nolan North doing his best Goodeve impression has also voiced Engineer more often recently, so maybe he's getting close to fully retired.

Jay Ward is the best Wolf voice.

I thought he was replaced by Nolan North?

Neoxon

Ahh right

but the Smash 4 "taunt" was the worst, it feels many levels of wrong, which really sucks when you look at the majesty that was lylat cruise "taunt"

Wolf's now voiced by Ja Green in Star Fox Zero, not Nolan North.

Only for big projects like the 15 minute short. Goodeve still does Engineer when it's a couple of voice lines, like for Halloween or whatever. As far as I know, Goodeve did Engineer's lines from this year for the Competitive Update. So he might be retired, but at least somewhat active enough to voice Engineer every so often as long as it isn't a huge project. It's not exactly a hard voice to do (especially considering North is 99% spot on impersonating Goodeve).

Wolf's now voiced by Ja Green in Star Fox Zero, not Nolan North.

Talking about TF2

Goodeve voices a character called Engineer in that game. And Engineer gets new voice lines occasionally, between Nolan North or Goodeve, depending on Goodeve's current state of retirement I guess.

Boss Doggie

Ah I see. Still wish they stuck with Jay Ward. I think Falco and Leon are the only consistent characters in Star Fox... in Japanese.

Neoxon

I sure hope its just a coincidence that they have the same name and you really don't think there's a possibility Miis won't make a return.
I do think they'll return, I'm just making sure. It's like when Rohan made damn sure that Cheap Trick went to hell.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm not even surprised with this news (or rumors as if y'all would like to call it) because Switch is more likely to have something different to replace Miiverse as "social media" so without Miiverse for Switch, so the stage might have to get cut in a result.

Yeah, I saw it coming.

I sure hope its just a coincidence that they have the same name and you really don't think there's a possibility Miis won't make a return.

Miiverse stage being gone doesn't meant Mii would get cut. Home stage for Mii is pretty much Wii Sport Resort.

did we already discuss this?

https://twitter.com/larrylurr/status/812086156082888704

I have no idea how larry would know anything like this...

It's more likely that he didn't know anything.

I'll believe it when I see it, because there's no way I'll believe Mr. "Where's My Royalty For Advertising Shovel Knight for Smash DLC, Yacht Club Games?"

Did Shovel Knight ever get added to Smash Bros?

Oh...

RIP Miiverse

I'm not really sure if the Switch will have Miiverse or not, but this "rumor" isn't even anything and isn't from a terribly reliable source

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They may just rebrand it. I'd be surprised if they dropped Miiverse completely, it gets more support and updates than the Wii U itself. Current rumours of the Switch are pointing towards sharing functionality.

Richie

Miiverse is by far the favorite stage in my social circles and with my brothers for that matter, it's just genius implementation and excellent for drinking games, I'd really lament its absence unless it gets a replacement that's functionally identical.

I haven't played on Battlefield in years. I don't see the point when a cloned stage with better music and better visuals exists.

So I hope Miiverse comes back. Even if it's rebranded to something new.

Actually, Dreamland and Miiverse are in a constant struggle on my system for that coveted "most played stage" award that's buried in the stats menu.

Also, new Mii costumes is a good sign. That means Miis are coming back. There was always that feeling in the back of my mind Miis weren't coming back, if they weren't part of the OS of the Switch. And having three entire characters cut due to the loss of an OS function would be ridiculous.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I haven't played on Battlefield in years. I don't see the point when a cloned stage with better music and better visuals exists.

Actually, Dreamland and Miiverse are in a constant struggle on my system for that coveted "most played stage" award that's buried in the stats menu.

Also, new Mii costumes is a good sign. That means Miis are coming back. There was always that feeling in the back of my mind Miis weren't coming back, if they weren't part of the OS of the Switch. And having three entire characters cut due to the loss of an OS function would be ridiculous.

There is a chance we might get rebranded Miiverse stage but I'm not sure how likely it is. I meant someone found a new format of "Social Media" that probably going to replace Miiverse and Spot Pass. Someone dug through the information and found this.

9jJqkSh.jpg

I don't understand why people would actually think Mii is going away because it doesn't make any sense after they spent so much time to marketing Mii brand (Miitomo, Mii Fighters and DLC costumes, etc)

Mate, Nintendo already utilized Miis in Miitomo and MyNintendo, both of which were initiated at the beginning of this year. What made you think they would randomly drop them from the Switch like that? lol

Muzy72

Banned

...there's no way Nintendo drops Miis on Switch. The new account system they debuted just his year uses Miis, and both Miitomo and Miitopia came out this year.

I don't know how any sane person could think Miis weren't going to be a part of the Switch.

...there's no way Nintendo drops Miis on Switch. The new account system they debuted just his year uses Miis, and both Miitomo and Miitopia came out this year.

I don't know how any sane person could think Miis weren't going to be a part of the Switch.

Most Smash speculators aren't.

I believe Miis will be part of Switch. But part of me also thinks maybe they don't, or they make them web based only or something.

y'all are some crazy motherfuckers

feliz navidad assholes, can't wait for my christmas gift from sakurai to arrive sometime in January. I asked for the tears of smash for switch hopefuls~

Zubz

Banned
Yeah, I agreed. Especially with a guy whom sacrificed a sex with lady for Brawl Sonic's announcement.

Happy Birthday Beef!

Damn. I'm sure jokes about Woolie's MvC3 story was already covered during this conversation when it first happened.

I'd do the same thing, though.

I like how he has NES ROB and Famicom ROB

I just noticed they're in series addition order (other than DLC). And almost within the order in the game's files, although he pairs Lucina and Robin and Dark Pit with Palutena because that's where they always should have been. And also he has the Brawl characters in the order they were revealed on the Dojo.

Edit: They're all in the order revealed. The Smash 4 characters are as well. That's why Dark Pit and Lucina are with their other series characters. He must consider Palutena's trailer to also be Dark Pit's official reveal. Which it was. But at that point he probably was still a costume.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I like how he has NES ROB and Famicom ROB

I just noticed they're in series addition order (other than DLC). And almost within the order in the game's files, although he pairs Lucina and Robin and Dark Pit with Palutena because that's where they always should have been. And also he has the Brawl characters in the order they were revealed on the Dojo.

Edit: They're all in the order revealed. The Smash 4 characters are as well. That's why Dark Pit and Lucina are with their other series characters. He must consider Palutena's trailer to also be Dark Pit's official reveal. Which it was. But at that point he probably was still a costume.

Triforce141 and I had a discussion about that in the discord. He discovered that the order of secret Melee newcomers was based on unlockable via numbers of matches.

Laura Kate Dale had this to say.

Everything I have heard is enhanced ports, to varying degrees. Mario KArt seems extensive. Smash seems minimal. Varying levels of addition.

And there we have it, folks. Two new characters is probably all we're gonna get in that regard. One of them will probably be Ice Climbers. Dunno about the other, maybe Inkling or Chorus Kids.

I just hope they take the time to finish up the DLC characters and give them their own custom moves and Palutena Guidances.

Top Bottom