• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody_D165

Banned
It's almost time :D

iy2aQ0GGtGEAv.PNG

For Smash I would never be able to deal with Release Day Shipping haha. I'm getting this game the moment I wake up October 3rd, if not at midnight.

Can I admit liking having something to grind for in smash?

I always felt a bit sad Brawl didn't have anything that affected playable content once stages/chars were taken care of.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, I really would like to get the physical version :( but the only way for me to get it here in Costa Rica at midnight would be to pay ~$60 for a preorder, and there's absolutely no way I'll wait the extra week I'd have to wait if I were to order it from Amazon.

Meh. I guess it'll go nicely with my other digital games, Mario Kart 7 and Animal Crossing, which are games I like having available all the time :)

emb

For Smash I would never be able to deal with Release Day Shipping haha. I'm getting this game the moment I wake up October 3rd, if not at midnight.
Yeah, I can't leave it out of my hands like that.

Though with release shipping there's the slight possibility of getting it early.

But I'd much rather have a guarantee that I can go find it at midnight somewhere.

Though it may be hard to find at at midnight. Nintendo releases on abnormal days, and Gamestop might not cooperate. And Wal*Mart is kinda finnicky; I had to go to 3 different ones looking for X and Y at midnight, and after all that still had to end up at a KMart instead.

Valus

Probably not any time soon, I only have one special for him and I'm prioritising characters I have lots of moves for first.

Also I was checking the imgur stats for my images and found that someone had copy and pasted my Ness writeup on a french forum, it looks like they started translating it, but got bored after the neutral specials and just left it as is, I found it funny for some reason.

No worries man! Makes sense.

I can try to do it for you tonight, but only because you have a kain avatar, who is my favorite character design of all time.

One of link's custom moves is locked behind a challenge (hopefully only one?) but I got it. Custom moves being locked behind challenges is BS :(

A fellow Kain fan and Link main? Are you my twin and/or arch-nemesis? That would be awesome though, I'm curious how different his customs are from Toon Link's, if at all.

I can't wait to see how long the line at Gamestop will be when I go to pick up my preorder.

Hopefully UPS messes up and delivers it early. All my games are digital so i wanted at least one physical game.

If UPS messes up, it ain't gonna be in the direction of "early," I promise you that :p

SoldnerKei

I am getting this digital, I wan't to download it as soon as it's available on the e-shop, stay awake all night...
till it's 2 AM or something because work

I always felt a bit sad Brawl didn't have anything that affected playable content once stages/chars were taken care of.

I like grinding all together so long as the gameplay and mode is fun, so I'm actually looking forward to that aspect in a Smash game. :p

georly

A fellow Kain fan and Link main? Are you my twin and/or arch-nemesis? That would be awesome though, I'm curious how different his customs are from Toon Link's, if at all.

I can only hope! I don't have an evil goatee though, so you must be the evil one. We should share friend codes.

I have unlocked a handful of them, but i've been busy trying to clear all-star/classic mode w/ everyone. I can shift gears back to my main tonight and see what I unlock (or have already unlocked). Hopefully masked man will be on to translate for me again!

Kouriozan

I'm the same, I love a good grind.
I'm used to 100% complete my games even if it takes 100+ hours too.

DaBoss

Huh? Shouldn't that actually be wonderful, rather than having to repeatedly Smash Run?
If you can't read Japanese......

I'm just waiting for someone to figure out a way to easily get all the customization stuff. I bet there is a way.

Has anyone tried using Miis in Smash Run?

Same here.

Question: 9PM PST is 'midnight' right? I completely forgot about even though that's how I got Animal Crossing and Mario 3D World.... My plans were to go to the nearest applicable Best Buy at midnight in the LA area (apparently there are only 3ish locations doing a midnight release), but I think those plans could change now... I hope there's room on my SD card...

Same here.

Question: 9PM PST is 'midnight' right? I completely forgot about even though that's how I got Animal Crossing and Mario 3D World.... My plans were to go to the nearest applicable Best Buy at midnight in the LA area (apparently there are only 3ish locations doing a midnight release), but I think those plans could change now... I hope there's room on my SD card...

Also wanting to know. Do games on eShop release for all North America on Eastern time?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm the same, I love a good grind.
I'm used to 100% complete my games even if it takes 100+ hours too.

I used to enjoy grinds back when I had more free time. Lately I just want most of the content unlocked on release and minimal grinds for extra rewards.

I am quite eager to indulge in this electronic software product

I am also quite eager to engage this electronic software product competitively with other homo-sapiens.

I thought the eShop, like everything else NoA does, operated on PST, so "midnight release" means 3 AM EST.

Come to think of it, though, I'm not sure I actually heard that from anywhere or whether I just made it up.

Jawmuncher

Gotta say if it wasn't for my friends and the online I don't think I would be very hyped for smash. I won't be carrying much about getting all of the moves or trophies. Just the characters and versus for me.

emb

If you can't read Japanese......

I'm just waiting for someone to figure out a way to easily get all the customization stuff. I bet there is a way.

Has anyone tried using Miis in Smash Run?
Oh yeah, that language thing. Though if that's an issue, I'm surprised there isn't a translation of all the challenges out there somewhere. I thought I saw someone post several of them here already.

jorgejjvr

I'm going to try to get this game a bit early by calling around, I got mario kart 8 early this way, a sears around me broke the street date and told me they had it, they were clueless. I got mk8 2 days before launch, here's hoping same happens for smash :p

My gamestop told me they dont currently know if they will have a midnight launch

Drago

Same here.

Yes, all midnight eShop games are put up at 9pm PST

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gotta say if it wasn't for my friends and the online I don't think I would be very hyped for smash. I won't be carrying much about getting all of the moves or trophies. Just the characters and versus for me.

I would think most of the community feels this way. Single player smash is only fun for so long, hence why Brawl's online killed the game for me.

emb

I would think most of the community feels this way. Single player smash is only fun for so long, hence why Brawl's online killed the game for me.
Yeah, without multiplayer, I wouldn't even bother. I'd be fine with offline only, but depending on the situation, I can see why most wouldn't be.

How do the servers handle downloads right at midnight? Any reported issues of slow downloads or downtime due to server overload?

It depends on the game. Pokemon had a lot of issues on the midnight launch making it hard to even start downloading (eshop crashed a bit before you could even pay). Smash could be similar since it's also super popular. It'll honestly depend on if Nintendo tries to counter that in some way

DrStiles

How do the servers handle downloads right at midnight? Any reported issues of slow downloads or downtime due to server overload?

I remember the eshop crashing/timing out when trying to start my download of Pokemon X. Once the download started it was fine but a little slow, but getting to that start page was a pain.

georly

Nah, I like it too. Gives it tons of replay value. The downside is that if you WANT a certain custom move for a character, it's all up to luck whether you get it or not, and it can be frustrating to go for 2-3 hours and not get it.

Huh? Shouldn't that actually be wonderful, rather than having to repeatedly Smash Run?

Ok, more like it COULD be BS, if the challenge was too difficult. Fortunately I don't think they are.

It depends on the game. Pokemon had a lot of issues on the midnight launch making it hard to even start downloading (eshop crashed a bit before you could even pay). Smash could be similar since it's also super popular. It'll honestly depend on if Nintendo tries to counter that in some way

Smash was fine on japanese eshop. No issues at all. I even tried 5 minutes after midnight japan time, no issues. Then again, digital downloads are apparently not as popular over there.

Valus

I can only hope! I don't have an evil goatee though, so you must be the evil one. We should share friend codes.

I have unlocked a handful of them, but i've been busy trying to clear all-star/classic mode w/ everyone. I can shift gears back to my main tonight and see what I unlock (or have already unlocked). Hopefully masked man will be on to translate for me again!

Awesome, thanks! But yeah, I'll shoot you a PM with my FC when I get home. We can have highlander-esque Link battles!

I can also understand the frustration regarding the luck/custom move factor, but I'm personally excited to grind for it.

I mean, I'm already going to throw countless hours into this already, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom