• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbone

The thing is smash 4 doesn't have major issues just some small things that should be on notice for sakurai.What kills me is he might already know about all this shit but only tweets about events, his cat and potd. I mean he doesn't even need to talk to people outside of the Japanese smash community but even that he never does. Sometimes it feels like Nintendo is in a mountain somewhere and the only way to contact them is through carrier birds and having to wait forever for a vague message.

holy shit this is becoming a Nintendo rant let me stop.

Nintendo's stubbornness and resistance to "getting with the times" is both the best and the worst thing about the company imo.

Nanashrew

Banned
He came up through Nintendo though, the mindset is the same. He's got Sora now, but Smash is still firmly a Nintendo product

Hal Laboratory is not Nintendo though, they're second party. He left the company because he didn't want to create the same games anymore. Sakurai is still good friends with Iwata because they worked together at Hal Lab so they do have an arrangement on things for contract work and what-not. His first game under Sora Ltd. was Meteos on the DS and more as an independent.

He has free reign on how things work, he's a known control freak with game design and how he wants specific things to be. Kid Icarus: Uprising plays more like a Platinum game than a Nintendo game.

EDIT: Checking Wikipedia, it looks like Meteos was also released on XBLA.

solomon

He stopped using Twitter a whole lot when people started joking about him so much.
Word! Never knew he was getting bullied on twitter.
That is what I always figured it was like. Sakurai not considering it a pure fighting game thus not being like the other fighting game devs. I think the only way it would be considered that way is if Sakurai isnt involved anymore I guess.

Well this is his last smash and I wouldn't be surprised if Namco Bandai becomes the next house for smash (developer wise) but ill be 26+ and not really playing smash with the intention of figuring out the game and mechanics.

Delio

Nintendo's stubbornness and resistance to "getting with the times" is both the best and the worst thing about the company imo.

That's about the only thing that gets to me about them. I'd love for them to get with the times and not hold some of their games back. Ah well still love them.

Delio

Well this is his last smash and I wouldn't be surprised if Namco Bandai becomes the next house for smash (developer wise) but ill be 26+ and not really playing smash with the intention of figuring out the game and mechanics.

Well I mean wouldnt you come back to it if say it was Sakurailess and completely tweaked to the max to be as competitive viable as possible?

Nanashrew

Banned

But I'm 26 right now, still playing Smash and just starting to learn about things. I think you'll be fine.

solomon

Well I mean wouldnt you come back to it if say it was Sakurailess and completely tweaked to the max to be as competitive viable as possible?

But I'm 26 right now, still playing Smash and just starting to learn about things. I think you'll be fine.

Hahaha yeah you guys are right but shiiiiit I wanna play a competitive (not melee lawd that game needs to go to sleep) now while I have hella free time on campus. Lets just hope for the best with smash 4.

Side note I need to start adding people for smash on my wii u, gaf halp me add southernsalmon , I need people to play with :(

johnbone

How are their games "held back"?

C'mon Joe, you know what he means.
"Held back" as in "hands off" from a consumer perspective. Nintendo never takes user opinion on their games into consideration, only sales and "designer seniority." They also never release Betas.

They are also "held back" in terms of multiplayer options imo.

JoeM86

Well if we are talking about Smash actually listening to their fanbase and considering their opinions. Not completely following them of course but atleast considering them.

I firmly believe that whenever someone starts capitulating to fans, be they games, films, tv series etc., that's when things start going down hill. Also, at the very least, they do consider fans, even with Smash. What they're not going to do is essentially repaint a 2001 title to capitulate to fans.

C'mon Joe, you know what he means.
"Held back" as in "hands off" from a consumer perspective. Nintendo never takes user opinion on their games into consideration, only sales and "designer seniority." They also never release Betas.

That's not a bad thing...

botty

Banned
Well if we are talking about Smash actually listening to their fanbase and considering their opinions. Not completely following them of course but atleast considering them.

The problem with Sakurai is that he actually does listen to the fans. Unfortunately, the people catching his ear are the ones who complain about all the stuff the competitive players enjoy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since we're in the run up to the Smash launch I thought I'd change my wallpaper after what is probably a year and a half.

i9S8aQpqImorC.jpg

(Obviously, the wallpaper version is bigger than this)

solomon

Genuinely don't understand this logic at all. Why shit on people for playing a game they prefer? Because it's old?

Seriously what.

Oh by that I mean melee is getting old and we really really need a hd smash as our poster boy for the competitive scene. The game itself is great but my eyes cant look at melee anymore :( . Also even if they release a hd melee, do we really want to see fox for another 13 years? Kappa

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When you have a split of one side saying tournament rules suck and another side saying tournament rules rock, who do you listen to?

The Smash fanbase isn't exactly unified on what they want.

JoeM86

When you have a split of one side saying tournament rules suck and another side saying tournament rules rock, who do you listen to?

I'd go for the majority, which is not the competitively minded people.

That's not to say this can't be competitive, it certainly can. Hell, people probably said DI was horrible and horrific when discovered.

People just need to get used to it and stop wishing the games would be identical to their predecessors, but with more characters.

solomon

Honestly if mutiple big tournaments use a rule set everyone else just follows even if they dont like it. That cycle continues everytime rules are changed, people talk about it but nothing really happens, a big tournament uses that set of rules and people follow. For smash 4 for the next 6-8 months people are probably gunna go back and forth until something is set.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think the changes the tournament crowd wants would have any significant impact on lower level play, so there isn't much harm in at least considering their feedback.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Has Masked Man or anyone translated the third set of challenges yet? I've completed the first and second set besides the StreetPass stuff.

FSLink

Banned
I don't think the changes the tournament crowd wants would have any significant impact on lower level play, so there isn't much harm in at least considering their feedback.
This.
Also I don't think Vectoring is that bad, we'll see. So far I'm loving the game as someone on the competitive side of things
Has Masked Man or anyone translated the third set of challenges yet? I've completed the first, and nearly the second set besides the StreetPass stuff.
GameFAQs has the rest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well that was just a simple example. Smash is a broad game so there are many areas for disagreements. I mean just look at the character requests.

Golnei

So I finally downloaded the demo, and while the menus feel much more crisp and sleek on the 3DS itself compared to being viewed separately, I can't get over how awful the announcer is. They should have gotten Scott Bullock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom