• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

Try calibrating it in the system settings. If that doesn't help then I am sorry, you may very well be another victim of Masahiro Sakurai's Great Circle Pad Massacre of 2014. :(
It seems it physically gets stuck in a direction if I push a little, so I guess I'm already dead.

The game came out last week

How much do you expect from people who don't already play competitively

a lot of the people he faces are good (?there's a matchmaking system). did you read anything on this page? he lives an extra 40%. he gets caught repeatedly from unsafe plays but escapes combos for free (actual combos and standard A combos) while they don't know how to.

it's boring to watch and i think he's developed bad habits from playing with the advantage he has. if you watch the shofu stream (NA vs NA) the matches are at least close...

JoeInky

Edgeguarding is still a very risky proposition though due to all the changes, and the game is so slow paced that it's probably going to have to be 2 stocks, people generally won't bother with that risk when they only have 2 stocks and money is on the line.

If the game had high hitstun and only one air dodge and it became almost 64 like where games would go quickly but now more because of the use of good set ups and offstage play rather than 0-death combos and we could crank it up to 4 stocks, I'd find that more fun and interesting, but this game definitely isn't that.

Combos are just fun anyway, they don't need to be melee level, but Brawl was no way near satisfying to land a hit on someone due to lack of combos, and if VI means you can't combo for 2/3rds of a player's stock, then 4 isn't going to end up being a very satisfying game for me either.

Lord Phol

a lot of the people he faces are good (?there's a matchmaking system). did you read anything on this page? he lives an extra 40%. he gets caught repeatedly from unsafe plays but escapes combos for free (actual combos and standard A combos) while they don't know how to.

it's boring to watch and i think he's developed bad habits from playing with the advantage he has. if you watch the shofu stream (NA vs NA) the matches are at least close...

Well like others have metioned this is kind of the norm with fighting games. There's usually no tutorials or explanations for most of the "deeper" mechanics in them. Alot of things are disovevered by players by experimenting, and before those things become known to everyone else they will have an advantage.
Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it's just something people in the fighting communities are used to.

That's kind of the way meta works, someone finds something awesome, than someone discovers something else that is even more awesome or makes the first thing less awesome etc. It's usually how fighting games evolve, but it all depends on the base mechanics of the game.

JediLink

You're right. It will lead to more mindgames about whether or not your opponent will use it and in what direction, and whether they'll wonder if you're wondering and have combos for the various situations
The whole "predict where your opponent is going to go" is not a new concept to the Smash series. DI already achieved the same thing. But now, instead of it being "Are they going to go up or down?" it's "Are they going to go away so I can't hit them, or are they unaware that they're supposed to go away so I can't hit them?"

Spinluck

The fact the air dodge is spammable as hell annoys the shit out of me. I don't like that dodge rolling is so safe either. A slightly bit of hitstun would've made this perfect, but it seems that this game is only a bit more lenient than Brawl in that aspect.

I don't NEED combos for my Smash to be fun, or at least Melee level combos. I just want a fine tuned balance of offense and defense, and this game still feels like it favors defense.

I guess I should wait till I get my hands on the final game. So far I've had a week with the demo and have loved it.

Hatchtag

Banned
One thing custom moves have going for them is that they might make the game faster. They're so much more deadly that the matches I've played with customs on have felt much more offense-oriented than the ones with them off.

AdaWong

Time for my daily dose of complaining about some features!

#1: D-Pad mapping bot included:
what Sakurai doesn't understand is that the Circle Pad is NOT the Control Stick. One is fragile as hell and the other is strong as crap. In addition, when you play Smash on a console, you are playing with a separate controller. On a handheld, your controller IS the console. You ruin something, the console is pretty much ruined and I hope you're willing to pay 100$+ for repairs or replacement.

#2: Special Rules removed in favor of making Smash Run more gimmicky:
You want to play some Stamina matches? Fair enough, play them but only within ONE minute. How do you play them? Oh! Play our new ~cool Smash Run mode for 5 fucking minutes and then pray the lord you end up with a Stamina match, in your wanted level. That chance is most likely a 1 in a billion.

Sigh.

Alrighties, since I finally got my 3DS online, I went to the friend code document and added the following people:
Anth0ny, BossDoggie, Fireblend, Masked Man, Oric, spino, Batty

If you would be so good to add me back (my friend code is in the list!), and if anybody added me, just pop me a PM so I can add you back. :)

Also apologies if I forgot anybody who'd want to be friends with me, you can add me and I'll add you back, just send me a PM too (I haven't forgotten you people who sent me PMs)! Or if you're in the IRC, poke me there - either works.

DaBoss

Every time someone complains about a lack of D-Pad movement on the 3DS (and the eventual lack of it on the Wii U version), I cry on the inside.

Look at what you did Sakurai, poor people don't know how much analog controls are needed for Smash.

one_kill

Every time someone complains about a lack of D-Pad movement on the 3DS (and the eventual lack of it on the Wii U version), I cry on the inside.

Look at what you did Sakurai, poor people don't know how much analog controls are needed for Smash.
Kinda like how pad players miss out by not using an arcade stick when playing Capcom fighters, amirite?

Kinda like how pad players miss out by not using an arcade stick when playing Capcom fighters, amirite?

That's different, though. Arcade stick controls usually translate reasonably well to normal gamepad controls. The controls for fighting games are usually d-pad friendly (because it's only the direction that's detected, not the manner in which the stick pushed) and can be translated well to analog, too.

With Smash, you're trying to translate analog controls to a d-pad, and a d-pad cannot usually detect the differences in how it's being pressed, only that it is being pressed. And the different ways of pushing the analog stick are pretty crucial to Smash's controls. There's a reason why so few Brawl players opt for the Wiimote-only control scheme.

DaBoss

Functionally, they do the same thing, so it all comes down to preference.

But the D-Pad can't do analog controls that is available on a control stick/circle pad, so functionally, it isn't the same. It honestly puts those who use the D-Pad at a disadvantage. But I guess preference and comfortableness come first, so it sucks in that sense D-Pad controls are not available.

Sorry about my previous post, I did not mean to insult anyone, or shit on anyone's preference. It's just they didn't explain the significant difference between digital vs analog for Smash.

PKrockin

Now that I finally closed the demo for the first time, let's take this opportunity to check how long I've played it so far with access to only single player:

12 hours 48 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom