• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

To be fair, Wario Ware also has games on the Gamecube and Wii (WiiU kinda with Game and Wario).

Still, I'd argue the most famous iterations (the first one and Twisted) were both on GBA.

I certainly see it more as a handheld franchise than I do a console one, but either way it doesn't bother me because I love the series. I suppose if you loved Wario more before WW then it could suck a bit.

I grew up with the Wario Land series but I love them both <3

FSLink

Banned
Still, I'd argue the most famous iterations (the first one and Twisted) were both on GBA.

I certainly see it more as a handheld franchise than I do a console one, but either way it doesn't bother me because I love the series. I suppose if you loved Wario more before WW then it could suck a bit.

I grew up with the Wario Land series but I love them both <3
I love them both but Wario really should have shoulder bash on B or side B. It'd be much better than bite or bike.

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Played the demo with all the characters, Mega Man was definitely my favorite. It was awesome to see the game running on constant 60fps, even though the introduction training video kinda scared me at first (pre-recorded 30fps, like in Brawl). The controls are... I don't know really. They aren't bad by any means, but they took some time to get used to. And especially with the original 3DS model the edges of the console will definitely make longer play sessions cumbersome.

All the new items were awesome, I especially loved the Namco arcade ones and the... whirlwind bat? (I think it was from Kid Icarus Uprising.) And overall the flow of the game was great, the loading times when starting a battle were pretty quick, maybe a tad longer than in Brawl, but not by a whole lot. It's a shame that I can't try the multiplayer since it's only local in the demo, but oh well, practicing with Mega Man is good enough.

And oh God, the first time seeing his Final Smash playing the actual game... it was so cool.

RagnarokX

::Chat in shofu's stream points out cat in stage background::

Guy talking with Shofu: "Hello, do you know what stage this is? It's Nintendogs. That looks like a dog."

Golnei

Wait, the NoA demo has a usage limit? Ha ha ha!

The regular PAL demo has the restriction as well.

Also, I'm really liking the jazzy piano and bass runs added to the result theme. And 3DS Link continues to outperform his counterpart in every way - such a shame we never got a sumo costume, it'd actually look good on him.

JoeInky

Wow I just caught CT's video about the Smash 4 "Rage Effect"

I kinda like it. Rewards you for survival.

It kinda does and kinda doesn't, it sounds like another mechanic that more rewards the player that's losing. For the most part, high knockback is something you don't want until the other play reaches KO percentage.

If you kill someone and you're still at high percent and they're now at low, your ability to combo at lower percents is going to be diminished due to this + VI, so you're not able to rack up as much damage, just keep batting people away. Whereas the other person can now combo easier again.

I'm going to take a break from unlocking stuff today and try to abuse VI as much as possible and see what happens, I can't see it being anything but bad for the game at a mechanical level though and the only way it could turn out good is if some other mechanic is discovered that affects it, rather than us "having more time" with VI or whatever, it's pretty obvious what it does and what the implications of it are.

I mean it's not as if this is Melee anymore where there are abstract mechanics that take ages to discover and Smash is only 1 game old as a franchise, we know enough about the series now to form an opinion on base mechanics, how ever early that may be.

the biggest thing i dislike about VI is how strong it appears to be.

like, you can straight up beat players way better than you with this single mechanic if they are unaware of it (this has kinda ruined zero's stream against random japanese people for me).

What's VI?

Vector Influence I think. The basic principle is if you hold opposite of a direction you're being launched, you will lessen your knockback. Conversely, if you hold the direction you're being launched, you'll go farther. It's a new form of DI.

People seem to be worried this will break any combo potential the game has and will slow down play even further. I'm not convinced.

That also has to do with it. Remember when everyone was going crazy about him posting a picture of the Monado for a music concert? People went nuts.

Yeah I remember that. Poor guy though but that's the internet for you. Especially twitter. If he's a bit sensitive to jokes about him, I wouldn't blame him.

Still, some like the youtube edits where he's orchestrating songs are all in good harmless fun from the fans. It comes with being someone who's known around the world as the person who created this popular franchise.

If I were him, I would just laugh it off and forget about it. Frankly, i'm pretty sure that's how he handles many online memes about him.

the biggest thing i dislike about VI is how strong it appears to be.

like, you can straight up beat players way better than you with this single mechanic if they are unaware of it (this has kinda ruined zero's stream against random japanese people for me).

I think that would be covered by the "way better than you" part

The mechanic is intuitive enough anyway

Vector Influence I think. The basic principle is if you hold opposite of a direction you're being launched, you will lessen your knockback. Conversely, if you hold the direction you're being launched, you'll go farther. It's a new form of DI.

People seem to be worried this will break any combo potential the game has and will slow down play even further. I'm not convinced.

You're right. It will lead to more mindgames about whether or not your opponent will use it and in what direction, and whether they'll wonder if you're wondering and have combos for the various situations

The mechanic is intuitive enough anyway

You're right. It will lead to more mindgames about whether or not your opponent will use it and in what direction, and whether they'll wonder if you're wondering and have combos for the various situations

Yeah, that's true. Some people don't like that idea, saying it's "too Brawl", but let the game get cracked open extensively first. This is mainly a Smashboards mentality, I think.

Lord Phol

Ah thanks! Hm, seems too early to tell IMO. There's alot of jumping to conclusions with this game.

not really. zero is able VI out of enemy combos and standard A combos repeatedly when he is caught and lives to 150% consistently. Meanwhile, his opponents take the full damage of every combo zero uses and die around 80-120%.

this is due to a single mechanic. it's not even close to a fair match.

edit: as a comparison, the last mechanic that was this powerful would probably be L-cancelling from the 64 and melee iterations. i'm not a fan of hidden mechanics that can affect the outcome of a match so greatly.

Golnei

After playing two hours of the demo, I can see what people meant when they were concerned the 3DS button setup would be uncomfortable over time. With Sakurai's wrist issues and compulsion to test everything himself, I wonder how much pain he was in during development...

The framerate is also impressive - even from watching some streams, I had assumed it would be like 64 and have severe drops during FFA, but it's really solid. I'd be curious to know how the Ice Climbers would have functioned, and if they would have even caused any drops if there was only one pair on the field.

not really. zero is able VI out of enemy combos and standard A combos repeatedly when he is caught and lives to 150% consistently. Meanwhile, his opponents take the full damage of every combo zero uses and die around 80-120%.

I think it's fair to say that if Player A understands a game mechanic that is allowing them to live longer and win games more consistently than Player B, then Player A is the better of the two. Mastery of in-game mechanics is part of being a strong player.

it's due to both parties not having the same grasp on the mechanic

that's included in skill difference

eh, i put the edit above.

hidden mechanics that single-handedly affect the outcome of a match so greatly are not good in my opinion. i'm saying this as somebody who has been positive about every other aspect of smash 4 so far.

hidden mechanics that single-handedly affect the outcome of a match so greatly are not good in my opinion. i'm saying this as somebody who has been positive about every other aspect of smash 4 so far.

That's a staple of most fighting games, though. It's something I've grown used to. I know a lot of my friends who aren't big fans of fighting games knock them for this kind of treatment. So I get where you're coming from, but this kind of stuff has been around, it's not new.

I think it would be somewhat unrealistic to expect all of those aspects to be removed.

Zelias

Banned
Played a bit of the EU demo. Impressed by how smooth and good it looks, controls feel a bit cumbersome but maybe I just need to get used to them (using an OG 3DS, for reference). Bring on the full game! The hype is real.

Kangi

I think I despise Villager if only for the fact that the CPU Villagers will auto-Pocket any fun item that spawns and never let it see the light of day again.

Dr. Buni

After playing two hours of the demo, I can see what people meant when they were concerned the 3DS button setup would be uncomfortable over time. With Sakurai's wrist issues and compulsion to test everything himself, I wonder how much pain he was in during development...

The framerate is also impressive - even from watching some streams, I had assumed it would be like 64 and have severe drops during FFA, but it's really solid. I'd be curious to know how the Ice Climbers would have functioned, and if they would have even caused any drops if there was only one pair on the field.
Good thing the button setup is customizable in the full version of the game.

being able to survive an extra 40% is pretty ridiculous. sakurai should have balanced the knockback better instead of this if he wanted matches to be longer. living an extra 20% would have been reasonable.

but whatever, i guess it's in the game so may as well get used to it.

RiggyRob

It's not exactly hidden though, is it? When you get launched towards one end of the stage, you'll instinctively push the control stick/pad in the opposite direction, which will reduce how far you go in the initial direction. Logically then, the reverse applies - if you push the control stick/pad in the same direction you are launched, you'll travel further.

How you use that knowledge is up to you- you're getting disappointed that someone who is obviously a better player than others is beating them consistently. That's because they're a better player.

It's not exactly hidden though, is it? When you get launched towards one end of the stage, you'll instinctively push the control stick/pad in the opposite direction, which will reduce how far you go in the initial direction. Logically then, the reverse applies - if you push the control stick/pad in the same direction you are launched, you'll travel further.

How you use that knowledge is up to you- you're getting disappointed that someone who is obviously a better player than others is beating them consistently. That's because they're a better player.

no, in past games that is not how you survived longer. the japanese players are instinctively using DI.

PS: i'm not upset about the mechanic being in, i'm unhappy at how strong it is.

Golnei

Good thing the button setup is customizable in the full version of the game.

I worded that poorly - I was referring not only to the buttons but the control layout and structure of the 3DS itself. I didn't have much of a problem with Uprising, but found Smash a little uncomfortable. Though it's nothing I can't deal with if I don't use it for too long, I guess.

JoeInky

This is almost certainly not what will happen though.

You can use VI to go too far away after a hit for the other character to followup, at lower percentages than before we knew about this.

All this does is reduce the combo game, there's no "will they VI here or there", they're going to VI away and avoid extra damage by going to far away for any sort of followup and reset the game to neutral.

And people say VI'ing away will just increase the offstage game, but it really won't with two good players due to the multiple air dodges and good recoveries. ZeRo might be able to destroy me or other bad players off stage, but when he's not playing against people that are constantly recovering high and practically floating into his aerials, that stuff isn't going to happen.

It will obviously be played competitively 2 years down the line, but I don't know if it's going to be the type of gameplay that I actually enjoy and find fun, relying mostly on pokes past the 40-50% mark with the characters living for a further 100% afterwards.

Unless we find some other technique that completely mitigates VI, which I highly doubt due to the simplified mechanics and the fact that thousands of people are digging through the game trying to find AT's just to be the first, I'm 70% sure that's what the game is going to turn out like, I find it hard to see it any other way.

being able to survive an extra 40% is pretty ridiculous. sakurai should have balanced the knockback better instead of this if he wanted matches to be longer. living an extra 20% would have been reasonable.

but whatever, i guess it's in the game so may as well get used to it.

If he'd just lowered the knockback to help people live longer, it would have made combos more apparent, and it seems like the playtesters for Smash hate being hit by more than 2 different attacks in a row so that idea was probably out of the question.

Speaking of playtesters, am I right in remembering that Smash 4 once limited you to 3 air dodges per airtime? But they removed it after playtesting?

I want to know who the hell thought 3 airdodges per airtime wasn't enough, and that they needed to be infinite. 2 air dodges sounds like too much to me, but 3 isn't enough? I don't even understand.

RiggyRob

no, in past games that is not how you survived longer. the japanese players are instinctively using DI.

PS: i'm not upset about the mechanic being in, i'm unhappy at how strong it is.

That's their own fault then, isn't it? They're not playing Melee or Brawl, they're playing Smash 4.

You do have a legitimate complaint about how strong the mechanic is, but considering Smash 4 is quite fast paced, I don't think it really matters that much.

That's their own fault then, isn't it?

Yes, but it makes for a boring stream (in my opinion) because there is simply no way for the japanese players to beat zero until they learn this mechanic.

I'm not going to comment on its impact on the competitive scene because we simply don't know enough and the game isn't even released here lol. But I hope this doesn't make the game evolve into a poke and run game from 50% to 150%.

Yes, but it makes for a boring stream (in my opinion) because there is simply no way for the japanese players to beat zero until they learn this mechanic.

I'm not going to comment on its impact on the competitive scene because we simply don't know enough and the game isn't even released here lol. But I hope this doesn't make the game evolve into a poke and run game from 50% to 150%.

People will learn and adapt eventually, it just takes time. But there's plenty of other reasons not to watch ZeRo's stream, like the fact that it's usually his roommate on his account.

munchie64

Guys... I think I broke my 3DS stick. It sometimes gets stuck in a direction (say I start running, let go, but the game keeps walking) and other times a direction doesn't work (mainly up).

:(

Haven't tested on any other game but the demo yet.

Cody_D165

Banned
Guys... I think I broke my 3DS stick. It sometimes gets stuck in a direction (say I start running, let go, but the game keeps walking) and other times a direction doesn't work (mainly up).

:(

Haven't tested on any other game but the demo yet.

Try calibrating it in the system settings. If that doesn't help then I am sorry, you may very well be another victim of Masahiro Sakurai's Great Circle Pad Massacre of 2014. :(

FerroN91

Neo Member
This is going to be a edge guard/gimp heavy game. People need to get over it not having melee combos.

The best characters are going to be ones with the best ability to get you off the stage the fastest through high knock back or whatever then keep you from getting back.

I'm all for an edge guard heavy meta because it's damn fun fighting off the side imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom