• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

The lack of character variety really rustles my jimmies.

Where's Ike? Wario? Kirby?

On the bright side, we have the most athletic characters duking it out now.

I mean, there's only 16 players and some sets were played off-stream... You're not likely to get a lot of variety from such a small portion of players.

Does regular Pit's side B reflect? I know it did in Brawl, but that was a completely different move.

Someone who has the game pls go test this.

No one hated Dark Pit before he was revealed to be in Smash, did they?

In fact, I remember lots of people liking the character, and in Japan I believed he scored highly in magazine polls. So, by the logic that Sakurai should work to appeal to the largest amount of fans, the inclusion of Dark Pit is totally listening to the fans.

I think it's only a shame he's not more different from Pit though.

Dark Pit is the only clone in this game I have the least problems with.

And I have no idea why...

Absolutely no Donkey Kong content added.
Loss of character total for Mother and Starfox.
Less blatant for Metroid and Zelda, just lack of new characters.
Wii brand gets four new movesets (3 movesets for Mii).
Mario gets two new movesets and Dr. Mario's return.
Kid Icarus gets two new characters, one of whom was actively hated before and after reveal.
Fire Emblem's two newcomers.

I'm not insane, I'm getting the game, but I'm waiting for the console version.
Donkey Kong got a neat remix from Returns. And his roll, which he's deserved forever.

What's wrong with 3 different Miis? It's the most unique and best way they could have done Miis. And Miis absolutely deserve to be in Smash Bros. Miis have nothing to do with Wii Fit Trainer, not sure why you lumped them together.

Mario gets just as many move sets as anyone else...

Doc returning is awesome. He's a veteran! And he was planned for Brawl and is different from Mario.

Dark Pit will grow on people. He seems very good, and I remember a time when Roy was hated or ignored and now he's a beloved Melee veteran most people want to return. Same for Wolf. He had seething hatred when he was found in Brawl and now everyone misses him.

One of Fire Emblem's characters is a clone, and seems to be what Roy would be had he survived 2 more Smash games, so she's not that new.

Fiktion

Banned
FarawayHorribleKoi.gif
WelloffGratefulBarasinga.gif

Rooligan

Neo Member
No one hated Dark Pit before he was revealed to be in Smash, did they?

In fact, I remember lots of people liking the character, and in Japan I believed he scored highly in magazine polls. So, by the logic that Sakurai should work to appeal to the largest amount of fans, the inclusion of Dark Pit is totally listening to the fans.

I think it's only a shame he's not more different from Pit though.

Hypothetical polls of existing newcomers. Hardly a reliable source, but few characters really are "hated" outside of when they're brought up for Smash. Regardless, even if it had to be another character from Kid Icarus, there are many Japan and others would prefer.

What's wrong with 3 different Miis? It's the most unique and best way they could have done Miis. And Miis absolutely deserve to be in Smash Bros.

If you feel that way about them being in Smash Bros, fine. They didn't need to waste 3 movesets worth of development time. Everyone wants Ganondorf to have an original set, but he doesn't need one for magic, his sword, and his cloned set.

Mario gets just as many move sets as anyone else...

As many as the mentioned franchises of Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Mother, and Starfox, yes.

Doc returning is awesome. He's a veteran! And he was planned for Brawl and is different from Mario.

I know he's a clone and doesn't take much time, but I still think it wouldn't be much of a stretch to ask for a character like Wolf or Lucas in his place.

Dixie Kong and Mewtwo were also planned for Brawl. Would be nice to have either of them right around now.

Dark Pit will grow on people. He seems very good, and I remember a time when Roy was hated or ignored and now he's a beloved Melee veteran most people want to return. Same for Wolf. He had seething hatred when he was found in Brawl and now everyone misses him.

Wolf was hated because everyone assumed he was a clone based off his Final Smash. It was later found to be untrue, but Dark Pit is exactly the same. Wolf is also more requested as an actual character.

Yes, Dark Pit will grow on people regardless, because absolutely any character put in Smash Bros does.

If you feel that way about them being in Smash Bros, fine. They didn't need to waste 3 movesets worth of development time. Everyone wants Ganondorf to have an original set, but he doesn't need one for magic, his sword, and his cloned set.

Miis are the face of an entire generation of Nintendo games. They're the main characters in some of the best selling games ever released. They're incredibly important Nintendo characters, icons and one of the best selling characters in Smash Bros.

Consider the three move sets Miis catching up to what they deserved in Brawl. Miis are a series that deserve three characters (series size wise) and they got what they deserve.

emb

Not really sure where to post this, but I just read a (bad) article by somebody from EW about the original Super Smash Bros.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/09/19/smash-brothers-nintendo-best-worst/

It reads like a poorly thought out Neogaf post and has about as much substance as one.
The obviously important part:
EW said:
EPILOGUE: The original Smash Bros. lineup, ranked Best to Worst:

1. Starfox (those kicks!)
2. Captain Falcon
3. Luigi (I’m a younger brother, sue me)
4. Link
5. Pikachu
6. Ness
7. Samus (cheap but fun)
8. Donkey Kong
9. Mario (boring)
10. Jigglypuff
11. Yoshi (NO ONE LIKES YOU YOSHI GO HOME)
12. Kirby (see: Yoshi)
Someone update the tier lists on the wikis.

guek

Banned
So how do people feel about spectating so far? Lots of people were vocal about their fear of matches being boring but it sends like y'all enjoy watching tournaments.

emb

Lol, by next week people will start rooting for ZSS over Sheik. I wouldn't be surprised if the week after that, people start rooting for Sheik over RosaChiko or DHD Dog.

I like that so many characters seem strong for now.

Lol, by next week people will start rooting for ZSS over Sheik. I wouldn't be surprised if the week after that, people start rooting for Sheik over RosaChiko or DHD Dog.

I like that so many characters seem strong for now.

Eventually the metagame will actually settle down, that will be well into 2015 though :p

Speaking of Miis, real talk, Miis are some of the characters I'm most looking forward to, but it's quite sad that absolutely nobody seems to be playing them. Which is a shame, cuz Mii Brawler looks absolutely insane; Almost like a Little Mac that can actually operate in the air. I swear people are sleeping on them way too much.

Quite disheartening to see them not even unlocked half the time; Sakurai banning them on With Anyone seems to have done terrible things for their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom