• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Jeeves

I'm noticing a disturbing trend in For Glory.

Any time I have a string of losses against someone, if I start to adapt and gain any momentum, the opponent will leave after that match, even if I still lost. As soon as I reveal myself to even have the capability to defeat them, they don't want to deal with me anymore. I'm guessing this has less to do with win/loss ratio vanity and more with raw ego preservation.

Maybe they're assuming I'll leave the room as soon as I do win? I see that a lot when I'm doing well against a player. So it could be that they want the last laugh.

It all makes me wish there was some form of communication, no matter how rudimentary. Even just something like the "Nice!" button from Pokemon X/Y's PSS. It would make it a little easier to tell who's actually being a poor sport and who isn't. Hell, sometimes I feel like the asshole when I have to leave someone I've been playing for a while.

emb

Any time I have a string of losses against someone, if I start to adapt and gain any momentum, the opponent will leave after that match, even if I still lost. As soon as I reveal myself to even have the capability to defeat them, they don't want to deal with me anymore. I'm guessing this has less to do with win/loss ratio vanity and more with raw ego preservation.

Maybe they're assuming I'll leave the room as soon as I do win? I see that a lot when I'm doing well against a player. So it could be that they want the last laugh.

It all makes me wish there was some form of communication, no matter how rudimentary. Even just something like the "Nice!" button from Pokemon X/Y's PSS. It would make it a little easier to tell who's actually being a poor sport and who isn't. Hell, sometimes I feel like the asshole when I have to leave someone I've been playing for a while.
I'm pretty sure you're overthinking it. People leave matches on me too, often right before I feel like I'm about to get them. More likely they just like to mix it up and play different people after a few matches. Or some situation comes up and they need to do something else before/instead of playing more matches.

XaosWolf

Finally played my first bouts Online! =D

1v1 For Glory as Pac-Man.

Wrecked a motorcycle spamming Wario a few times, then embarassed myself against a yellow Yoshi, and finally got demolished by a laggy Villager.

Amazing how quickly you can go from really feelin' it to laughter at your mistakes to general rage. Good times all round!

Timeaisis

Yeah, I see this all the time, too. I chalk it up to people not wanting to mess up their win ratio. It's aggravating.

Whenever I find a good player who I can go toe-to-toe with I get excited, because I'll be able to hone my character even more, train and such. However, when I inevitably beat him, they promptly leave! It sucks when it's after the first match. This is the exact opposite of what I want. Play me again! Let's have another couple games at least to practice. Win, lose, whatever, I just want to play people at my skill level, but I find it really hard to keep opponents longer than a game or two because inevitably someone starts thinking about their win record.

Sometimes I kind of wish there was a For Glory without stats, so you could freely just play people indefinitely. I know there's a bunch of guys I've left on for fear of dropping my win rate, but deep down I wanted to keep playing them to get better.

Oh well, that's what play with friends is for, I guess.

jorgejjvr

Yeah, I see this all the time, too. I chalk it up to people not wanting to mess up their win ratio. It's aggravating.

Whenever I find a good player who I can go toe-to-toe with I get excited, because I'll be able to hone my character even more, train and such. However, when I inevitably beat him, they promptly leave! It sucks when it's after the first match. This is the exact opposite of what I want. Play me again! Let's have another couple games at least to practice. Win, lose, whatever, I just want to play people at my skill level, but I find it really hard to keep opponents longer than a game or two because inevitably someone starts thinking about their win record.

Sometimes I kind of wish there was a For Glory without stats, so you could freely just play people indefinitely. I know there's a bunch of guys I've left on for fear of dropping my win rate, but deep down I wanted to keep playing them to get better.

Oh well, that's what play with friends is for, I guess.
This is why I enjoy just playing with Gaf and people from forums :D

Jeeves

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking it. People leave matches on me too, often right before I feel like I'm about to get them. More likely they just like to mix it up and play different people after a few matches. Or some situation comes up and they need to do something else before/instead of playing more matches.
Could be, but it happens very consistently. If players had some tool with which to communicate, it would be easier to tell the difference.

For glory is the only option I have for playing people right now. My schedule sadly doesn't leave me time to play with gaf members at this point. Why is there not enough time in the day?

Guess I'm "part of the problem" then. If I lose on the first match, I'm out. I've already seen all you can do and I hate it, so off you go. If I win. Well, I don't want to play the same character and play the same set up. I want to see who's next. Maybe lag is less bad.

And so it goes until I lose too much. Still sitting at 50% win/loss.

Oh, absolutely. Lack of communication is frustrating.

On the other hand, given the general quality of the communication in other fighting games, maybe it's a good thing.

Guess I'm "part of the problem" then. If I lose on the first match, I'm out. I've already seen all you can do and I hate it, so off you go. If I win. Well, I don't want to play the same character and play the same set up. I want to see who's next. Maybe lag is less bad.

And so it goes until I lose too much. Still sitting at 50% win/loss.

I'll bail if it's clear that my opponent is so much better than me that I don't really have a chance, but leaving after one loss seems excessive to me. If I lose, I'll go a few more rounds, maybe changing characters, and if I'm still getting completely wrecked (i.e., consistently getting two-stocked,) then I'll look for a more even matchup.

zruben

Banned
Ok, finally beat the level 9 classic mode.
You guys were right, Ganondorf was a beast, it made the final bosses seems WAY too easy.

jb1GyoF4rLoRPz.jpg

jbaWZLx0TeNPm7.jpg
just look at this sexy motherfucker.

Bonus round:
he also made the Homerun Challenge of the third panel way too easy. (video)

Jeeves

Yeah, I feel you there. Personally, I pay no regard to win/loss record. The best way to improve is to play against people who can beat you.

If anyone wants to add me, my code is 0946-2265-2883. I'm working on using/learning like 15-20 different characters. >_>

Curious, why does Lyn as an assist trophy have a voice (Skyrim Dark-Elf voice at that - I'd image Lyn would be a bit more... High pitched and immature?) despite the fact that Lyn has never had a voiced appearance outside of being an assist trophy, but Marth's voice is still Japanese even though he has actually had an English voiced appearance before?

Hey, can I get some tips on how to not get stuck in PK thunder? That racked up so much damage that I be weakened enough to get KOed by Ness back throw. That curb stomping you did to me still hurt my ego and I get the feeling I was a joke to you (not that you actually feel that way but god damn, you make my brother Ness look like a lvl 3 CPU.)

Depends on your character. Most characters it seems like hitting the opposite direction and the jump button is your best option. There are a few characters where jabbing, or another attack, will go through the fire and at least prevent Ness from following up.

Alrighty guys I am home.

Who wants to play the trio of Ness, Pac-Man and Cowboy Shamrock?

0301-9856-6792

I found an even easier way to defeat Master Core than using Ganondorf/Charizard/any other heavy hitter: Ness.

Not only can you heal from a lot of projectiles Master Core throws out, but PK Bonfire (if you have it) obliterates every single form in less than 5 seconds. I'm not even exaggerating. I didn't even take 50% before getting him down to his "Smash Ball" form.

I don't have trouble beating Classic Mode on 9.0 with most characters anyways, but hopefully this helps other people. It made the entire boss fight so hilariously trivial.

Depends on your character. Most characters it seems like hitting the opposite direction and the jump button is your best option. There are a few characters where jabbing, or another attack, will go through the fire and at least prevent Ness from following up.

Alrighty guys I am home.

Who wants to play the trio of Ness, Pac-Man and Cowboy Shamrock?

0301-9856-6792
Bring it. 1676-3689-8314

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ok, finally beat the level 9 classic mode.
You guys were right, Ganondorf was a beast, it made the final bosses seems WAY too easy.

What else would you expect from Sakurai's Dad?

By the way, did you use a Custom Set? I've been trying to beat 9.0, but can't seem too---I tried using a bunch of Atk. Equipment like I do in Smash Run, but they seem to be neutered when you use them in the central game.

Top Bottom