• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Shaffield

Downloading the game tonight, so pumped to join you guys. I'll post my deets later

anyone got any tips on playing Lucario for someone who mained him in Brawl? I've heard his recovery is unreal lol

Revven

Been playing with Marth lately. Getting the hang of him after being so used to Melee/Project M Marth.

I've been using him on and off and he still feels janky to me with his range reduction. Not to mention his worse Nair (which is worse mainly because of the range reduction but also because of its landing lag). I mean, I win with him a lot but I feel as if I would do a lot better with him if his range wasn't the size of a toothpick... :/

tariniel

Dumb Ganondorf question:

He has two vertical kicks that I've seen and I don't know how to do one of them. One he starts charging his foot from the ground and kicks up, this I know how to do. I believe it's called an "up tilt"?

The second one he starts with his foot high and brings it down after a period of time. I don't actually know the button inputs for this one and it happens on accident sometimes.

Anyone?

FSLink

Banned
I've been using him on and off and he still feels janky to me with his range reduction. Not to mention his worse Nair (which is worse mainly because of the range reduction but also because of its landing lag). I mean, I win with him a lot but I feel as if I would do a lot better with him if his range wasn't the size of a toothpick... :/
Yeah his nair is pretty bad now in comparison to old Marth. I mainly just play footsies with fair and ftilt, and punish stuff with a throw, dash attack or fsmash. Landing tippers feels great in this game.

Dumb Ganondorf question:

He has two vertical kicks that I've seen and I don't know how to do one of them. One he starts charging his foot from the ground and kicks up, this I know how to do. I believe it's called an "up tilt"?

The second one he starts with his foot high and brings it down after a period of time. I don't actually know the button inputs for this one and it happens on accident sometimes.

Anyone?
Tilt moves: press the direction then press A. So up tilt would be pressing up then A. Ganon's is very situational and you probably won't land it on any decent player due to its slow start up.

Smash moves: press the direction and A at the same time.

Azure J

At this point I feel like the range doesn't bother me as much as feeling like every other thing I did resulted in a "do not pass go for X seconds" before I could reliably do another action. He just feels so unnaturally restrained in this game engine even with everything I've been adding to my play to get him to a competitive level. Also the new shields really make it hard to commit to pokes/punishes sometimes. :lol

F-Smash tipper is still Brawl levels of powerful feeling though. There is nothing more satisfying than the black lightning effect after landing one.

Moonlight

Banned
Nair auto-cancels on fastfall, I am pretty sure.

Dumb Ganondorf question:

Anyone?

The second one is his up tilt. The first one is his up smash.

Dumb Ganondorf question:

Anyone?

Heh, what you call an up tilt is actually his up smash. His real up tilt (Slide the circle pad upward slowly, and press a) is that kick where he brings his foot down after a period of time.

J@hranimo

Banned
Dumb Ganondorf question:

Anyone?

The second one you mentioned is actually his up tilt. Just push the circle pad up before pressing A. The first one you mentioned is actually his up smash. You execute it by quickly pushing up on the circle pad and A at the same time. The more you hold it, the stronger it'll be. Unlike his up smash, his up tilt despite it staying there similarly to his up smash will do the same damage when he brings his foot down.

Azure J

Nair auto-cancels on fastfall, I am pretty sure.

Seriously?

Actually, I should probably take a look at what aerials cancel on fastfall in general. Damn I have so much lab stuff to do.

On a slight tangent, is it just me or did the devs add really weird sourspot launches to spike moves in this game? It's like if you aren't directly over someone in this game, you will not spike people downward.

tariniel

Heh, what you call an up tilt is actually his up smash. His real up tilt (Slide the circle pad upward slowly, and press a) is that kick where he brings his foot down after a period of time.

Oh wow, so what are B moves called? I thought those were called smashes. I guess I need to read more about the terminology. Are these just specials?

So "tilt" attacks are any directional A that it not a 'smash'? A smash is the quick stick movement to a direction + A and these can be charged?

Ryce

Oh wow, so what are B moves called? I thought those were called smashes. I guess I need to read more about the terminology. Are these just specials?

So "Smash" attacks are any directional A that it not a 'tilt'? A tilt is the quick stick movement to a direction + A and these can be charged?
B moves are special moves.

Smashes are the chargeable attacks that are done by quickly pressing A and a direction simultaneously. "Tilts" (or strong attacks) are done by slowly pushing in a direction and then inputting A.

So "Smash" attacks are any directional A that it not a 'tilt'? A tilt is the quick stick movement to a direction + A and these can be charged?

Yes, B moves are called Specials. Smash attacks are directional A attacks that involve quickly moving the control stick to a direction and pressing A. "Tilt" attacks get their name from how you tilt the stick rather than move it all the way in a direction, so a softer attack comes out. They have different utilities, and smash attacks can be charged.

McNum

So "tilt" attacks are any directional A that it not a 'smash'? A smash is the quick stick movement to a direction + A and these can be charged?
It breaks down like this.

A is a basic attack, or jab.
A + a quick flick with the stick gets you a Smash. These can be charged by holding A.
A + a gentle motion gives you the Tilts. Like Ganondorf's slow heel drop move on up-tilt. Usually, these are quite good, though.
B is all special moves. Up, Side, Neutral and Down.

But really, leave the game on the title screen for a few minutes and see the How To Play video. It has all of these demonstrated visually.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Finally.

Fucking FINALLY.

http://imgur.com/UMtwi5X

You have NO idea what it took to get that last trophy. Literally four-five hours of STRAIGHT grinding. I'd check the store, play 2:30 minutes of Trophy Rush thrice (the store resets if you do that. Funnily enough, it doesn't reset if you play Trophy Rush once, go back, check the store, play Trophy Rush again, etc. You need to do three straight matches of Trophy Rush right after another, without even leaving the character select screen or else the store doesn't reset) and then some Classic matches on intensity 7.9 if I ran out of gold. I did just that for four-five hours straight. I've done Trophy Rush so many times that I can do a perfect run easily (I netted forty trophies and six equipment pieces once) and can even predict the timing of the lightning ball without looking at the screen. I was a fucking zombie by the end of this ordeal.

My last trophy was the Golden Hammer one, by the way, which I found hilariously ironic yet fitting.

The meanest thing was... that the penultimate trophy (Whimsicott in my case, which also took me a good hour or so to unlock) showed up FOUR MORE TIMES before I got the Golden Hammer trophy, as if to taunt me.

Anyway, I'm finally done with the singleplayer :) I haven't unlocked all custom moves (I miss about twenty of 'em) or Smash Powers, but I can't be bothered by those.

Now, to focus on the competitive multiplayer without a worry on my mind!

Moonlight

Banned
Seriously?

Actually, I should probably take a look at what aerials cancel on fastfall in general. Damn I have so much lab stuff to do.
Did some checking. Nair doesn't cancel on short-hop fast-fall, which is a general condition I've noticed with a lot of characters. Robin's aerials (except for dair) for instance, all auto-cancel in any situation, but only if you don't fast fall.

Top Bottom