• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

ProphessorX

Neo Member
So just played a really good Ness for the first time as Marth. First time online and just wanted to see how different it would feel. I am not used to the specials button being lower than the jump button rather than the gamecube's setup of jump buttons on the right outside and then the attack and then the specials button from right to left.

So basically I played handicapped without my b moves because I just couldn't get used to it. So didn't use recovery moves either. Just relied on jumping and the a button.

But I was surprised to find Marth pretty close to how he was in melee. Lots of fairs for spacing and starting attacks from half jumps f/bairs into smashes as there isn't too much landing lag.

The Ness was probably as surprised as I was. He was better in every way, using all his moves and grabbing (holy moly my grab game is nonexistent), and yet I just relied on spacing with the tip of the sword, which they buffed a lot for Marth, obviously his forward smash, but also his walking forward a.

It seems his range isn't as long as melee, since I didn't really play Brawl. And I think his dair doesn't have a spike sweet spot anymore towards the rear? I miss that...

Anyways, heres to many more matches! Game looks great on the xl screen. Didn't mean to jump in but GAF hype got me. My first launch game since BF3. Got a 3ds just for this refurbished, just like the N64 and Gamecube. Something tells me this is a better investment.

Taking my Mega Man online is always so weird. Either I get matched up with someone who has no clue how to play against Mega Man and I utterly wreck them, or I play someone who knows exactly how to take advantage of Mega Man's weaknesses and get wrecked myself. I pretty much never have a close match when using Mega Man; I either win by a landslide or don't stand a chance.

That's not at all the case when using my Brawl main, Kirby.

jokkir

Should I feel bad for playing Rosalina? Because she's fun to play. I'd play Zero Suit Samus but I don't know how to KO anyone.

I still like Villager though but Mario's give me a lot of trouble

for the first time ever in my smash bros gaming I'm changing my main. I'm sorry pikachu, I stuck with you since the N64 version up to Project M but you're far too weak now. he lacks any kill moves, before I was able to atleast kill folks with the down special and send them flying but now I can't even do that. Only move he has that kills is his up smash but even that requires really high damage. I'll be going with Greninja as my main. I really like his play style. Bowser Jr will be my second main, he is complete fun to play as. I'll also be putting in some Duck Hunt and Ganon in there as well. That is of course when I'm playing seriously. I normally play casually for glory and just pick whomever.

k_hop

Man, I wish I could spectate Gaf matches without making it laggy, I can only imagine what happens in other fights, guys are intense here. Should be a hell of a tourney, have Yall started practicing with your custom moves yet?

Oh yeah

Link with custom moves is Project M tier in this game

Makai

Taking my Mega Man online is always so weird. Either I get matched up with someone who has no clue how to play against Mega Man and I utterly wreck them, or I play someone who knows exactly how to take advantage of Mega Man's weaknesses and get wrecked myself. I pretty much never have a close match when using Mega Man; I either win by a landslide or don't stand a chance.

That's not at all the case when using my Brawl main, Kirby.
Mega Man ditto me!

So Im sure this has been brought up before, haven't been in the ot all that much but am I the only one who loves using greninja's up b to ko people? It feels like the most trolling thing to do and I love it.

I don't know why I am drawn to the Wii Fit trainer as a new character. The yoga poses as attacks seem too funny not to be using them all the time. I am still a little hazy as to where I should be pressing the button during the breathing exercise. The salute to the sun ball is great and I get some kind of special sparkle when I hit someone, but I don't know what that means. Over all she has to be my favorite new comer.

ec0ec0

I just got something...

Apparently theres equipment that lowers landing lag :O

Why sakurai why!? I didnt want that to be equipment.

You people that have been playing this game for weeks probably knew it. Still, my mind cant handle this.

I wonder what would happen if you clould equip this to sheik... maybe she would recover before touching the ground :p

It can be used by: yoshi, link, zelda, toon link, marth, ike, robin, little mac, captain falcon, olimar, lucina, pacman and all 3 miis.

Problem is, equipment is really useless because of the silly requirement that items have to be in one of the attack/defence/speed categories. This item is a speed one. That means that it completely changes your air mobility... i hate that.

The item is:

Smooth Landing Boots (reduced landing stiffness)
Speed + 35
Attack -40
(x help: you can start moving again more quickly after landing)

So... is there more equipment like that one!?

(I wish it just reduced landing lag ;_;)

k_hop

Fast characters give me such a headache with Link... Sonic, Mac, Diddy, and C. Falcon players all just seem to wreck me.

So here's a question I didn't think about until I was writing some stuff about Sakurai in another thread.

Iwata and Sakurai are pretty much best friends (they came up together through HAL and worked side-by-side for years), so I wonder how much Iwata's health issues ended up impacting the development of Smash 4. It'd be kind of impossible to work full steam when that's going on.

so Greninja seems to be getting popular

is he? I've only ever went against 1 greninja. Normally its just me that uses him when I play online. I do find a lot of little macs and mario tho. anytime someone brings littlemac i just pick DDD next round and inhale and drop down. ain't no body got time to deal with that little mac nonsense. most of the times i go against mario they spam the standard b which is odd. i always dominate em. sometimes i do go against some who know how to combo with him(mario is a freaking combo king in this game man)

I don't know why I am drawn to the Wii Fit trainer as a new character. The yoga poses as attacks seem too funny not to be using them all the time. I am still a little hazy as to where I should be pressing the button during the breathing exercise. The salute to the sun ball is great and I get some kind of special sparkle when I hit someone, but I don't know what that means. Over all she has to be my favorite new comer.

Wii Fit Trainer is hilarious. I'd really like to learn to player her one day- I just love how she talks throughout the battle, and how unique she is. Plus, she's got the best taunts.

is he? I've only ever went against 1 greninja. Normally its just me that uses him when I play online. I do find a lot of little macs and mario tho. anytime someone brings littlemac i just pick DDD next round and inhale and drop down. ain't no body got time to deal with that little mac nonsense. most of the times i go against mario they spam the standard b which is odd. i always dominate em. sometimes i do go against some who know how to combo with him(mario is a freaking combo king in this game man)

Just played 2 very good ones. Overall its been pretty diverse.

So here's a question I didn't think about until I was writing some stuff about Sakurai in another thread.

Iwata and Sakurai are pretty much best friends (they came up together through HAL and worked side-by-side for years), so I wonder how much Iwata's health issues ended up impacting the development of Smash 4. It'd be kind of impossible to work full steam when that's going on.

Does being best friends with him mean he needs to sit by his bedside all day long or something? I mean, I understand that it could have distracted him, but Sakurai's dedication to his work was almost assuredly separate from his contacts with others, even if they are good friends and the boss of the company you're developing a game for.

We all learn how to balance work with personal lives, and while developing Smash is obviously skewed far to the "work" side instead of a 9-5 day (I would assume anyway), there's no reason to think Sakurai didn't do his job regularly and then managed everything else he has going on. I have had friends get very sick, or have family members die, and while I spent significant time with them and talked with them a lot, it didn't really distract me from my "duties," so to speak.

I'd think Sakurai's own health problems were a lot more impactful on the development than Iwata's, really.

Edit: I kind of misread the "full-steam" thing, but I'm still sticking with most of what I said, especially the last point.

Wii Fit Trainer is hilarious. I'd really like to learn to player her one day- I just love how she talks throughout the battle, and how unique she is. Plus, she's got the best taunts.

I've been playing a lot of 1v1 matches with her and it's always great win or lose. She has some attacks that hit forward and back at the same time so I've been working on my cross ups. Is there a way to aim the forward B ball?

Should I feel bad for playing Rosalina? Because she's fun to play. I'd play Zero Suit Samus but I don't know how to KO anyone.

I still like Villager though but Mario's give me a lot of trouble

No.

She's a great character with a great moveset.

Learn to combo with your friend Luma and enjoy styling on your opponents.

Does being best friends with him mean he needs to sit by his bedside all day long or something? I mean, I understand that it could have distracted him, but Sakurai's dedication to his work was almost assuredly separate from his contacts with others, even if they are good friends and the boss of the company you're developing a game for.

We all learn how to balance work with personal lives, and while developing Smash is obviously skewed far to the "work" side instead of a 9-5 day (I would assume anyway), there's no reason to think Sakurai didn't do his job regularly and then managed everything else he has going on. I have had friends get very sick, or have family members die, and while I spent significant time with them and talked with them a lot, it didn't really distract me from my "duties," so to speak.

I'd think Sakurai's own health problems were a lot more impactful on the development than Iwata's, really.

Edit: I kind of misread the "full-steam" thing, but I'm still sticking with most of what I said, especially the last point.
I imagine, for a creative job, it's hard to really work when your friend is going under the knife to remove a cancerous growth.

Clefargle

Hey, does anyone have the link to that guy that was getting ridiculously high home run scores with like 20 characters? Please and thanks!

I've been playing a lot of 1v1 matches with her and it's always great win or lose. She has some attacks that hit forward and back at the same time so I've been working on my cross ups. Is there a way to aim the forward B ball?

If you haven't discovered it already, her Up smash apparently has invincibility frames. One of the loading screens mentioned it and I've noticed the few times I played I was able to up-smash through some people's attempts to come at me from the air if you time it right :p

The salute the sun and breathing exercise both heal you. When they do you'll see a sparkle effect on your character to signify you lost some %.
As for the breathing timing, you actually want to press just before it enters the red circle, there's a surprising amount of leeway in regards to being early with it versus being late.

edit:
Hey, does anyone have the link to that guy that was getting ridiculously high home run scores with like 20 characters? Please and thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf1ZTmg_MEM&index=3&list=LLHLN0rCfxMtbe4xPCJq5PLw

there you go :3

Masked Man

I said wow
Just curious, how do you feel about it in situations like this:

Or situations where a technical malfunction hinders your play? I've been playing a bunch of For Glory sets with my "handed down to me" 3DS and the slide pad is a complete mess. I'm glad it hasn't given out completely, but it always sucks when it starts to drift mid match, especially if the set is tense/close.

In those cases, I'm totally okay with cutting out after one match. I'll still try playing until the end in lag situations (cursing all the while, lol), but suffering through the frustration for several matches isn't worth the irritation.

Clefargle

If you haven't discovered it already, her Up smash apparently has invincibility frames. One of the loading screens mentioned it and I've noticed the few times I played I was able to up-smash through some people's attempts to come at me from the air if you time it right :p

The salute the sun and breathing exercise both heal you. When they do you'll see a sparkle effect on your character to signify you lost some %.
As for the breathing timing, you actually want to press just before it enters the red circle, there's a surprising amount of leeway in regards to being early with it versus being late.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf1ZTmg_MEM&index=3&list=LLHLN0rCfxMtbe4xPCJq5PLw

there you go :3

Thanks I owe ya!

Zing

Banned
So... disable up to jump and only use buttons? What are people doing?

I initially did this, but then tried leaving up as jump and got used to it. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to the jump button so I can more easily do up attacks.

I hate Lucario players so much, so very much.

Ugh, I hear you. One of my best friends mains Lucario. He's an absolute beast with him, and he's so irritating to play. The way he uses Aura Sphere is just unreal - it's like you can't fucking dodge through it at all when Lucario's Aura is high. It also doesn't help that Lucario's normals, tilts, and airs all seem to have retained the ridiculously high priority they had in Brawl.

Funny thing is, I can't use Lucario for anything. He's literally right at the top of my "characters I'm absolutely shit with" list. I don't know how he does it.

So... disable up to jump and only use buttons? What are people doing?

I initially did this, but then tried leaving up as jump and got used to it. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to the jump button so I can more easily do up attacks.

I've used up to jump forever and have tried to wean myself off of it several times over the years, but I just can't. Smash 3DS is no different. It's just too ingrained in my muscle memory. No matter how much time I put into using X or Y to jump, I can't play like that to save my life. Using up to jump does make doing up tilts on purpose a lot harder, and I know it'd benefit my game overall if I could wean myself off of tap jump, but I'm afraid it just isn't gonna happen for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I used tap jump from Smash 64 up until... I dunno, 2009 or something? Managed to wean myself off it and find it annoying these days. First thing I did in Smash 3DS was change the controls and turn it off.

Also reversed the grab and shield buttons since they bothered me in the demo so much. I hardly ever use the shoulder buttons in this game because they are so uncomfortable to reach though.

Top Bottom