• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

I tried out Palutena and I'm liking her. I can tolerate her moves start up being slow and her recovery slow. But I don't like her neutral b move. I like her reflect and counter move though. Any pointers on Palutena?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I tried out Palutena and I'm liking her. I can tolerate her moves start up being slow and her recovery slow. But I don't like her neutral b move. I like her reflect and counter move though. Any pointers on Palutena?

Learn to love customs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. I wonder if TO will allow customization in the future tournaments?

The general opinion was initially pretty welcoming I think, the biggest problem was the fact it's such a long and annoying grind to unlock them.

Now that we have a good idea of what all of them are I don't know if that has changed or not. They don't seem overpowered or anything, most of them are just different, some better, others outright worse/pointless.

Equipment is going to be banned super hard though.

If you haven't discovered it already, her Up smash apparently has invincibility frames. One of the loading screens mentioned it and I've noticed the few times I played I was able to up-smash through some people's attempts to come at me from the air if you time it right :p

The salute the sun and breathing exercise both heal you. When they do you'll see a sparkle effect on your character to signify you lost some %.
As for the breathing timing, you actually want to press just before it enters the red circle, there's a surprising amount of leeway in regards to being early with it versus being late.

I have to try this out when I get home. I can't wait to wreak so many bowsers and dedede who think they can slam their rears into the ground as a standard way of landing. It would be great against Link too.

leroidys

What the FUCK are you supposed to do against greninja? His attacks have enormous range, he's fast as shit, he has decent rangespam, and none of his stuff has any ending lag.

J@hranimo

Banned

As someone said before, learn to love her customs...but at the same time if you plan to go to tourneys in the future and they don't allow customs then well you'd be shit out of luck. If you do want to try them out, I personally liked explosive flame as her neutral b and keep everything else the same.

With that said, Get good at her jabs and down grab and her fair/nair/uair follow ups. Her most challenging matchups in my experience are rush down characters. Hope that helped!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Also, Auto-Reticle and FAir all the time.

I prefer the explosive neutral B for space control.

Ok. I wonder if TO will allow customization in the future tournaments?

Custom moves will for certain be allowed once tournaments find a way to globally unlock them to make sure no one has an unfair advantage. Forcing a grind for the one of the most interesting changes in smash 4 was an awful idea.

I played several matches against a Shulk that kept kicking my ass, which sucked. But I learned some things. So then when I played against an inferior player who was trying to play as Shulk, I whooped up on him. Well. I sort of whooped on him. I won, that's what matters.

Suddenly, it all makes sense! You can learn things by playing against better people but still losing! What a novel idea!

Moonlight

Banned
I prefer the explosive neutral B for space control.
I'm really struggling to figure out how to use that, honestly. It seems really easy to read and avoid, and fast characters (like Mac) can just dash through without caring at all. I had some success with edgeguards, but I've found Autoreticle generally way more useful for harassing opponents.

Maybe my spacing just sucks.

Mumei

So Im sure this has been brought up before, haven't been in the ot all that much but am I the only one who loves using greninja's up b to ko people? It feels like the most trolling thing to do and I love it.

I was talking about a Greninja I played who was ridiculously good at this. I couldn't even land for a solid minute and a half in several matches, and he managed to K.O. me simply by pushing me with the water on a few occasions. It was maddening.

Revven

I used tap jump from Smash 64 up until... I dunno, 2009 or something? Managed to wean myself off it and find it annoying these days. First thing I did in Smash 3DS was change the controls and turn it off.

For me, I found tap jump to be a nuisance in Melee back when I played it semi-seriously until Brawl came out and once Brawl came out I turned it off. But then my one friend (who I went to Brawl tournaments with for about a year) explained to me the benefits of tap jump. However, I still turned a blind eye to it because of my preference on being able to consistently perform Utilts.

But it wasn't until like... 2011-2012 with PM that I started playing with tap jump on and I immediately recognized how beneficial it is for your out of shield options. It's much harder to perform an Up B out of shield with the jump buttons than up on the control stick. In general, not even just Up B OoS, but everything OoS becomes much easier because you jump and you cancel the jumpsquat frames with a move (one that's obviously good OoS). This isn't really all too easy on a 3DS with the jump buttons because of the way the buttons are positioned.

Thus, I got used to the threshold in which the controller would recognize a tap jump vs a Utilt and ever since I have never turned tap jump off again -- it's really too limiting on your shield options, especially in this game. I can't count how many times I've used DK's Up B OoS in this game to get myself out of stupid/sticky situations, armor through something, or to cover a predicted roll, etc etc. It's just way too helpful and often what I see online on For Glory is an absolute lack of anyone using any good out of shield options because they likely have tap jump off or aren't aware of it. So, it gives me an inherent advantage in certain situations.

And I did get used to the tilt threshold on the 3DS as well, it isn't hard at all to not perform a tap jump when you Utilt. Of course, when there's lag that's a different story completely as inputs can be read differently but in a lag-free environment I've had no trouble executing what I want even despite how inadequate the circle pad tends to be at times.

DooD1234

I keep thinking the mii brawler multi hit dash attack only does one hit and I keep getting damage or dying to it. Got to block all of next time to punish Sham. Oh and nice SHORYUKEN there

Timeaisis

I don't know how I'm supposed to beat a good Mario with Mega Man. He's got a reflector and good tilts. I really don't see how it's possible to rack up enough damage. Oh, and one of your smash attacks can be reflected...

Your left with air moves, grabs, and the dash attack which Mario can probably be consider better in all those categories.

Clefargle

Ugh, I hear you. One of my best friends mains Lucario. He's an absolute beast with him, and he's so irritating to play. The way he uses Aura Sphere is just unreal - it's like you can't fucking dodge through it at all when Lucario's Aura is high. It also doesn't help that Lucario's normals, tilts, and airs all seem to have retained the ridiculously high priority they had in Brawl.

Funny thing is, I can't use Lucario for anything. He's literally right at the top of my "characters I'm absolutely shit with" list. I don't know how he does it.

I've used up to jump forever and have tried to wean myself off of it several times over the years, but I just can't. Smash 3DS is no different. It's just too ingrained in my muscle memory. No matter how much time I put into using X or Y to jump, I can't play like that to save my life. Using up to jump does make doing up tilts on purpose a lot harder, and I know it'd benefit my game overall if I could wean myself off of tap jump, but I'm afraid it just isn't gonna happen for me.

I feel you man, I think my brain is stuck with up-jump

Spinluck

I don't know how I'm supposed to beat a good Mario with Mega Man. He's got a reflector and good tilts. I really don't see how it's possible to rack up enough damage. Oh, and one of your smash attacks can be reflected...

Your left with air moves, grabs, and the dash attack which Mario can probably be consider better in all those categories.

Some of the match ups are just soooooo bad.

DooD1234

Alright, I like to get curbed stomped by you some more Sham but my internet is acting up so I have to cut it short sadly.

GG Sham and I see I'm still no match for your Ness. Even gave me a free kill with your suicide.

DooD1234

GGs Dood! Lots of improvement
No thank you for beating the day lights out of me. Not many good opponents in For Glory. Only made me want to get better so I can be an even more entertaining opponent for you. Seriously that Ness, I can only imagine what you are like in Project M.

EulaCapra

What's the verdict on FLUDD, Scalding FLUDD, and High-Pressure FLUDD (besides saying they suck)?

It feels satisfying gimping for the kill with default FLUDD, and Scalding FLUDD is fun to rack up damage on the edges, but it would be great if some other people who've tinkered with the customs to voice the winner.

Is the game buggy or is it my copy?

I was playing one round and the sound effects stopped. Music worked, but silence otherwise.

Now theres no music, just sound effects. Both menu and the different matches.

random25

The disadvantage of not being able to store your charge...

But I've beat a good number of good Mario/Dr. Mario/anybody with reflectors (except that damn Zelda). Using projectiles against them must be at near distance for them to react late and get hit. And messing them up with crash bombs can also help in forcing them to approach or put up a shield instead of using cape/reflectors. Those open up opportunities to set up the charged buster.

EulaCapra

Is the game buggy or is it my copy?

I was playing one round and the sound effects stopped. Music worked, but silence otherwise.

Now theres no music, just sound effects. Both menu and the different matches.
I had that happen to me thrice in Smash, Smash Run, and Main Menu. Went into a Smash Run magic door and came back with no background music for the next 4 minutes!

Top Bottom