• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I started playing Palutena again against my friends. I hadn't played her in awhile so I was trying new things out with mixed results then this happened.

https://gfycat.com/PeskyHollowAmberpenshell

I think I might start maining her again. Her custom down B has so much potential.

The weirdest fucking thing just happened to me. I was playing as Sheik and trashing someone playing as Larry Koopa (mostly because I know the Koopa Car moveset inside and out due to me playing it so much). So I knock him off the map, and I go in for the kill by following him out and going for a fair. At the same time, Larry does an upswing with his hammer (he'd already ejected from the Koopa Car). I, as Sheik at 40%, rocket straight downward and die a fraction of a second before Larry at 130% who rockets sideways before bouncing wildly diagonal off the side of the stage.

What the hell just happened?

Wait, there's more than one page? Sweet! I'm at like 33 out of 35. The final two I haven't done which are giving me trouble are doing a 10 hit combo in practice and getting three outfits. Anyone have any hints or tips for the former (easiest 10 hit combo)?

Yep, there are three pages!

For all the combo challenges, simply spawn three dummy characters (preferably a big character like Bowser) in training and four Smart Bombs. Move the dummy characters next to three of the bombs, then chuck the fourth one into the fray and watch the sparks (and combo numbers) fly. Rinse and repeat a few times for the "Get 400 max combo across all characters in Training Mode" challenge.

I would love a little video from GameXplain about how to accomplish the more time-consuming third page challenges quickly, like 600 trophies and such.

Haha, I just told Andre that. Maybe he'll do it! I can help, though: for 600 trophies, play a lot of Trophy Rush and check the shop often to buy trophies you don't have. Also, remember that 102 trophies can only be acquired by beating Classic and All-Star with every character.

Also, play lots and lots of Trophy Rush. Spend a lot of time playing Trophy Rush, too. Did I mention Trophy Rush? (FWIW, I had the most success in Trophy Rush with Ness and Jigglypuff.)

Any other challenges you need help on?

You dislike all of my main characters lol

Haha, I only actually dislike some of those characters! I'd like to learn to get good with Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt.

Zelda I was never able to do much with in Brawl, but she's had the secret best upgrade in the the whole game: her teleport is a goddamned killing machine. You do not evade people with it any more, you teleport at them with predjudice. Does great knockback, has huge hitbox, easily kills.

Interesting. Maybe it's a different in play style mentality; I could rock Zelda in Brawl but can't do shit with her here, and you couldn't play her well in Brawl but you're owning with her here. I have noticed people using Farore's Wind as an attack a lot online, and I tried to do this myself but wasn't able to really figure out how to do it effectively/reliably... I'll look into it more, though.

My friends vastly prefer Brawl over Melee and PM. :lol

I do too!

That "get 5 hits in StreetPass" challenge is so stupid. I don't know anyone with a 3DS, and I'm not lugging mine around in public in the hope that I'll find five people. I wanted to avoid using hammers, but I guess I have no choice.

Just pop into a McDonalds or Starbucks. They both use Nintendo's "StreetPass Relay" system, which lets you get up to six tags from people who were there previously, regardless of when they were there. It's a really neat system and great for people who don't live in one of the more StreetPass-friendly big cities in the US (LA, NY). There's no guarantee that you'll get Smash tags, but it's fairly likely, especially as the game's been out for a little while now.

That said, the StreetPass MIi Plaza games (even the basic ones that you don't have to pay for) are incredibly fun and addictive; you should get into the habit of bringing your 3DS with you when you go out so you can try them. StreetPass is my secret favorite thing about the 3DS, and I wish Nintendo would update the Plaza with new content more often.

Gartooth

Hope you don't mind me joining your room. If it lags, I'll leave.

EDIT: Seemed okay the first match, but the second match was bad. :(

ggs

Feel free to join whenever you want, it was fun having four players!

Sorry about the lag though. One of my friends has notoriously bad internet.

The weirdest fucking thing just happened to me. I was playing as Sheik and trashing someone playing as Larry Koopa (mostly because I know the Koopa Car moveset inside and out due to me playing it so much). So I knock him off the map, and I go in for the kill by following him out and going for a fair. At the same time, Larry does an upswing with his hammer (he'd already ejected from the Koopa Car). I, as Sheik at 40%, rocket straight downward and die a fraction of a second before Larry at 130% who rockets sideways before bouncing wildly diagonal off the side of the stage.

What the hell just happened?

that my friend is the clutch that saved the game for him.

Elija2

Which of these challenges is tougher: the "collect all Smash Run powers" challenge or the "obtain all custom outfits, headgear, and special moves" challenge? I only want to use a hammer on one of them.

How in the fucking shitfuck are you supposed to fight a good Robin? This asshole just did the following:

1) Threw out arc fire
2) Charged Thoron
3) Punished me when I jumped over arc fire to try to prevent him from charging Thoron.

Which of these challenges is tougher: the "collect all Smash Run powers" challenge or the "obtain all custom outfits, headgear, and special moves" challenge? I only want to use a hammer on one of them.

I would say the second one just because you have to collect more to finish it, but they're both super grindy and time-consuming.

I used a hammer on both of those challenges and don't regret it one bit. None of the other challenges on the third board are anywhere near as challenging or time-consuming as those two, except for winning a Smash Run with every character, which I also used a hammer on. :p

Elija2

does anyone else come up with silly names for their custom loadouts

That Sonic loadout you made to slow him down is actually pretty clever.

I would say the second one just because you have to collect more to finish it, but they're both super grindy and time-consuming.

I used a hammer on both of those challenges and don't regret it one bit. None of the other challenges on the third board are anywhere near as challenging or time-consuming as those two, except for winning a Smash Run with every character, which I also used a hammer on. :p

Yeah, that was the other challenge I was gonna use a hammer on, but I wanted to save a hammer for the "collect 600 trophies" challenge because that one looks like it might be hard too. Is collecting 600 trophies that hard?

one_kill

That Sonic loadout you made to slow him down is actually pretty clever.

Yeah, that was the other challenge I was gonna use a hammer on, but I wanted to save a hammer for the "collect 600 trophies" challenge because that one looks like it might be hard too. Is collecting 600 trophies that hard?
600 trophies is pretty easy, just time consuming

I'm at 564 and I still have a bunch of character trophies to unlock
I've noticed that more expensive trophies are showing up in the shop ($2500), but playing through classic gives you enough money to buy them

Gartooth

Olimar, Charizard, and DK.

*high fives

Robin at keepaway is pretty annoying, thankfully if the player is an idiot they will use up their tomes. Otherwise, my general strategy is trying to work my way in with DK's back air, but in general I do have problems with being juggled when I play him.

Once you get in though, Robin seems to telegraph a lot of his moves and animations, so my best advice is to be patient and punish him when he messes up. (especially since you play Charizard and DK)

Another thing is that I believe Donkey Kong gets some super armor when you use his Up special on the ground, so maybe try mixing that in.

Durden77

It's almost annoying how many characters are fun/good in this game. Been playing a lot of Charizard lately and he's awesome. Also been playing a good amount of Wario. For some reason he's a lot more fun in this one and I already liked him in Brawl. The bike is so fun.

IMG_7031.jpg

Last night, it was the Challenges. Today, it's the trophies. Tomorrow... the world.

Nah, I found it to be pretty easy, almost like an eventuality. A healthy combination of playing Trophy Rush, visiting the shop often, beating Classic and All-Star with various characters, playing Trophy Rush, and playing Trophy Rush will get you there. Seriously, I wouldn't waste a hammer on that one. That's just one of those ones you'll eventually get by playing the game; it doesn't take too much actual effort.

You could say the game about the "collect everything" challenges, too, but outfits/headgear/custom specials/Powers are a lot harder to collect reliably and en masse than trophies.

kimtish

Neo Member
So what's the word on custom moves in competitive play?

Went to a tourney last weekend that expressly banned them as well as Miis. Do you think we're going to see more of that or do you think more people will embrace how much it could potentially mix up the meta-game?

MechaX

Are there any vids out there on some good Lucinas?

I feel like I'm playing her wrong, especially with how uphill her game is against a lot of projectile users.

Ricky 7

Olimar, Charizard, and DK.
I play Charizard and don't find Robin a problem at all. Flamethrower really messes Robin up especially off the ledge, it makes his tome run out. Also Flamethrower after you jumped over Arc Fire to stop him charging, you need to use your triple jump efficiently to pull this off.
Flare Blitz goes through Arc Fire so try to predict when he's going to use Arc Fire and use Flare Blitz. Just make sure you're always near Robin and don't let him run away, he doesn't have any safe landing optiions so try to take advantage of that.

So what's the word on custom moves in competitive play?

Went to a tourney last weekend that expressly banned them as well as Miis. Do you think we're going to see more of that or do you think more people will embrace how much it could potentially mix up the meta-game?

There is no reason to ban the Miis, as far as I can tell.

Elija2

Nah, I found it to be pretty easy, almost like an eventuality. A healthy combination of playing Trophy Rush, visiting the shop often, beating Classic and All-Star with various characters, playing Trophy Rush, and playing Trophy Rush will get you there. Seriously, I wouldn't waste a hammer on that one. That's just one of those ones you'll eventually get by playing the game; it doesn't take too much actual effort.

I'll take it that Trophy Rush is the best way to unlock new trophies?

J@hranimo

Banned
So apparently I've reached the amount of replays you can save.

I didn't even know there was a limit. I thought they just all got saved into a folder on your SD card =/

emb

There is no reason to ban the Miis, as far as I can tell.
Yeah, it's ridiculous.

I went to a tournament that did it though. Because they're grouped with customs I guess. :\

But then I went to a tournament the next day with custom moves one. *shrug*

Top Bottom