• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Just played against someone who, regardless of character, always did the same two moves over and over. Played as Charizard, did Flare Blitz and Rock Smash. Played as Ganondorf, did Warlock Punch and...whatever the side-B is called. Played as Bowser, did nothing but Side-B and Down-B.

Crowning moment was, as Luigi, I used my max side-B to attack. He shielded to block but completely forgot about momentum because he was so anxious to try and use the side-B against me. So he skidded off the edge of the map, and did Bowser's side-B against the wall in mid-air which had enough lag so he couldn't recover and died at a measly 20%. Fun times.

emb

So glad that edge hogging is gone, the change has taken off stage play to another level. And getting those kills are far more satisfying.
I feel like this, but in reverse. I'm sad it's gone, because it makes the off stage game a lot less risky for both players, thus making it less exciting. It can be high reward sometimes (as in, getting the kill is a huge reward), but more often it feels like it doesn't matter, you just hit them out there and they still come back.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah I use it as an anti air a lot, it's such a big improvement over Brawl's F-smash.
I don't think Charizard is a bad character at all like people are making him out to be.
He's far far from bad. The fact he can handle sheik, dhd, greninja and zss show that

I have no idea why I didn't apply the most basic thing every Wario main should know and it's about baiting and punishing instead of approaching yourself. :lol

I've been having too much fun with the bike I guess. Been using it a lot less while actually being patient and I'm definitely reminded of Brawl Wario. Hopefully I improve this way.

EDIT: Yeah Charizard is great. Probably the most underrated character in the game. He has so many tools for a lot of situations.

Just played against someone who, regardless of character, always did the same two moves over and over. Played as Charizard, did Flare Blitz and Rock Smash. Played as Ganondorf, did Warlock Punch and...whatever the side-B is called. Played as Bowser, did nothing but Side-B and Down-B.

Crowning moment was, as Luigi, I used my max side-B to attack. He shielded to block but completely forgot about momentum because he was so anxious to try and use the side-B against me. So he skidded off the edge of the map, and did Bowser's side-B against the wall in mid-air which had enough lag so he couldn't recover and died at a measly 20%. Fun times.

LOL man wish I could have seen this.

McNum

Well, I am still not great at this game, but I think I'm narrowing down some characters I can actually play okay. I have a 19% win rate in For Glory, so there's room for improvement.

First of all, Lady Palutena, I am sorry, but I can't play you yet. My spacing and basic abilities aren't up to speed to play her. She is fun, mind you, but she's just too much work for me for now. So, with my expected main shelved, it's time to find a new one. Ness is an option, but I average 1 SD per fight with him online so, yeah. Great character, but not designed to be able to recover in lag. So, yeah. Sorry kiddo.

Which brings me to trying everything and finding one that sticks. And that someone of the moment is Pit. He just clicked, I've played him, like, 10 matches total, 15 if you count Classic mode, and I'm winning in For Glory with him already. And I don't really know anything about Pit. I mean, the basics like you can aim his Power of Flight, and curve his arrows. The arm attack is armored, and he has a reflector on Down+B.

But really, I don't know what's good with Pit. I just shoot arrows at people at range, try to make the commit to something and then hit them out of it if possible. The Upperdash Arm is good at that. It's not a great gameplan, but it is a plan. But how to get KOs with him consistently is tricky. I see opponents live to 130-150%, so that's room for improvement.

So what I'm asking is... Pit? Help?

GGs Spinluck. You have gotten a ton better. Had a lot of trouble with Rosalina and Sonic. I really had to think and re-work a new approach strategy around them.

Ryce

The latest Famitsu has an image of a 3D Flying Man model in the Magicant stage -- I can't read the text, but I'm guessing it was cut in favor of the sprite for technical reasons.

My favorite thing to do when playing against aggressive Macs is to pick Mac against them too.

Grabs all day. Also a surprisingly great way to practicing Mac as well.

Boogiepop

Finally got the 31 miles challenge, now I just need to plow through the
100-man with everyone
challenge and I'll be essentially done with the "single-player." Also, it looks like I have like 7 trophies left to get, though at least few of those are tied up in the challenge board and will be properly hammered out once I finish off the last other challenge I need.

Also, exactly how many custom moves are in the game? I've got probably about 7-8 characters who have all of them, and just passed the 250 milestone. I'm definitely not going to grind them out or anything, but I'm curious as to how many I have left...

Tan

Bowser's USmash is incredible. It beats everything. The shell actually has an attack nullification box. You can USmash a counter, and the counter will whiff on Bowser! Great for Little Mac and Sword Users. Sometimes you can punish the recovery on their counter. ;-)

I can confirm this. >:|

I like Dark Pit in 1v1.
Hate playing him in FFA matches though.
Anyone else have character preferences like that?

Lucario
FFA: Really tough with three others after you.
1v1: Much easier with only having to concentrate on one person.

Ike
FFA: He's a goddamn madman with every swing.
1v1: Pick your shots or otherwise pay the price.

Bonus

Pit
FFA: Side B.
1v1: Don't side B.

Bowser
FFA: Bowser Bomb.
1v1: Don't Bowser Bomb.

TheOGB

Banned
Pit
FFA: Side B.
1v1: Don't side B.

Bowser
FFA: Bowser Bomb.
1v1: Don't Bowser Bomb.
Yeah, pretty much. The big guys like Bowser and Ganondorf are my FFA guys, (and wreckless Side Bs into a crowd one of my FFA tactics) while Dark Pit and Little Mac are my 1v1, "get in and rough you up" bros.

I Bowser Bomb in 1v1. It hits about 50% of the time, even against skilled opponents. You just have to bait them into committing to something unsafe. It also lets the opponent know that your landing needs to be respected. Plus, Bowser can take the damage if it whiffs - he's built for it.

It's a lot like a SRK.

Yeah, I think my and my neighbor's microwaves were both being used at the same time. Boring? Nah.
Anyone else up to play? 3437 3568 1252

I pretty much went into auto-pilot out of frustration after like 3 matches and did the dumbest shit like going off stage for no reason and various execution errors, so I assumed I hadn't really made you think much about what you had to do yourself.

I need to take a closer look at Falco and Luigi later though, I seem to keep misjudging the range on some of these moves.

Top Bottom