• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

So been playing For Glory with Wario exclusively and I'm finally starting to get a feel of him in this game.

The bike is his most important tool in this game because of it's versatility. It's such an INCREDIBLE approach option now that it has a hitbox after Wario gets off it. It's so safe and trying to challenge it is too risky. There really isn't much you can do against it. Block? That's fine. Wario can just zone with it while you block. Roll/Dodge? Get hit by it. Try to hit Wario out of it? Too bad Wario is already out of the bike. Jump? You're in Wario's territory now.

I see great things coming for this character and the bike with the right player.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can confirm that I got MORE than 10 rewards. In fact, right now I have 12 non-monetary rewards with my Toon Link run.

Speaking of which, the "place first in Smash Run" implies that in Team Battles, your team won and you are not necessarily the one who did the most work right?

Grakl

^ yeah I've got 18 rewards before. People think you only get 10?

I'm surprised how little people adapt over a match or two online. I constantly walk/run -> shield as Ganondorf and instead of approaching me with grabs people try to attack through it. I guess people don't understand how good shields are yet.

mStudios

It makes me real mad that Bowser has a better recovery than Charizard. Charizard must have one of the shittiest recovery in the game.

It makes me real mad that Bowser has a better recovery than Charizard.
I really have no idea why Charizard's recovery is so terrible in this game. Losing the glide hurt him more than any other characters.

Coupled with Rock Smash stopping your momentum now so it's not a good approach anymore and the slower dtilt, I'm not feeling him at all in this game. I liked him more in Brawl, PT mechanics and all. :/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Greninja is amazing. Just putting that out there.

WarAdept

I really have no idea why Charizard's recovery is so terrible in this game. Losing the glide hurt him more than any other characters.

Coupled with Rock Smash stopping your momentum now so it's not a good approach anymore and the slower dtilt, I'm not feeling him at all in this game. I liked him more in Brawl, PT mechanics and all. :/

ITS WHAT HE GETS FOR SACRIFICING IVYSAUR.

But yeah, all his aerials bar nair have horrific landing lag (even nair is pretty slow by most L-cancelling standards). Shame.

Revven

But yeah, all his aerials bar nair have horrific landing lag (even nair is pretty slow by most L-cancelling standards). Shame.

You can autocancel Fair, though. It's just a really tight window, probably only viable (consistency) with a C-stick. :/

Other than that, yeah, Charizard is pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure what he's supposed to be good at compared to Bowser or DK.

My main rant is the Smash challenges. Like why force people to play a mode that is pretty much only built for small sessions? It should have been 20 hours of game time, 50 hours of game time, 100 hours of game time instead. Although some people got the 10 hours for online, so IDK.
Having CPU players battle it out while getting work done. Like seriously...

Yup, if you take too long, he does Tabuu's Off Waves and OHKs you.

As if to say, "Oh, you want to humiliate me? Well take this!".
You can block the waves funny enough. There is a no-damage run on Youtube.

mStudios

Man, I wish the earphone were on the side and not at the bottom. I would go for a run with the 3DS and Little Mac Main Theme.
Well, not really, because it would interfere with your hands lol

vixlar

A brother in sorrow! We will miss Ivysaur, best pokemon smash character ever T_T. (Really, it was fun play as it)

My main rant is the Smash challenges. Like why force people to play a mode that is pretty much only built for small sessions? It should have been 20 hours of game time, 50 hours of game time, 100 hours of game time instead. Although some people got the 10 hours for online, so IDK.
Having CPU players battle it out while getting work done. Like seriously...
At least a character unlock doesn't require 20 hours this time. As for having CPU players fight, wait, does that work? I thought 0 human players would multiply the number of participants by 0 meaning you would get nothing.

At least I might be able to use the hammers on some of those...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't use Marth in this game because I can't space properly with the circle pad and lack of options. As far as I'm concerned Lucina > Marth on 3DS, but Marth will undoubtedly be better with a real controller.

At least a character unlock doesn't require 20 hours this time. As for having CPU players fight, wait, does that work? I thought 0 human players would multiply the number of participants by 0 meaning you would get nothing.

At least I might be able to use the hammers on some of those...
According to my stats, I added 20 minutes doing CPU battle. So I guess it does not take into account 0 players. Which is totally fine by me.

Edit: It stopped giving me credit. Guess Nintendo got smart...

I'm sure I'll get crucified for even asking, and I know it's way too early, but is there anything resembling a tier list yet? Or pros thoughts on the specifics of the characters and playability of the maps?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure I'll get crucified for even asking, and I know it's way too early, but is there anything resembling a tier list yet? Or pros thoughts on the specifics of the characters and playability of the maps?

Little Mac is pretty good on FD if he knows what he's doing.

That's it. There is nothing remotely close to any sort of meaningful tier list right now and won't be for months.

emb

So we got new secret characters on the Smashbros site today.... why aren't they linked from the ? blocks in the op?

There are thoughts out there, but you'll have to look around. I think Zero did pretty good video overviews of like, half the cast.

There's obviously no real tier list, but apparently this came from Japan. It's based on just a couple tournaments. Guaranteed to be wrong, but I'm glad we have something to look back at years from now.
show

Duo014

Anyone up for a few matches. I play a mean Ike, Link, Mega Man and random.
I won a few tourneys back in the day. (Mostly local)
my fc: 1676 3883 9785 (europe)

Durden77

People seem to be enjoying the Miis.

tumblr_nd45000Fs61trn7wlo1_500.jpg

That's amazing. I've been enjoyin them more myself after I grabbed some QR Miis. The gunner is actually pretty fuckin awesome.

Also I've been wondering, when you're playing with customs off but you choose a Mii, does it still use their equipment?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's amazing. I've been enjoyin them more myself after I grabbed some QR Miis. The gunner is actually pretty fuckin awesome.

Also I've been wondering, when you're playing with customs off but you choose a Mii, does it still use their equipment?

I thought you couldn't use Miis if customization was turned off?

Durden77

No, you have to turn them on, otherwise you're using a basic mii fighter without the stat boosts.

Ah ok I figured, but good to know.

What are people's thoughts on the equipment so far?

Me personally, I think it's pretty stupid. It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it's handled well. It all seems like overkill in a fairly typical Sakurai fashion. There's too many pieces combined with too many characters. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I still don't know how to access all of mine. When I'm selecting equipment it shows me about half of my actual list when I try and sell some.

Plus I generally don't have much interest in altering the base stats of characters. I play Falco because he's Falco. If I want something speedier, I'll play Fox. I don't know what the Mii's base stats are, but I hope they're not shit without equipment. I didn't put anything on my swordfighter. The last few custom characters I've made I haven't bothered with equipment at all actually, just special moves and Smash Run powers.

I actually really like the custom moves though and think they're implemented well. Although I probably won't use them much, they're a lot of fun and are interesting in general. Kinda wish they would've just left the customization at that, or had a better equipment system, but oh well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've never liked the idea of equipment, especially since it is all randomized statistically. I haven't really done more than look at it once when I went into the customization options.

Custom moves are neat though.

Tom_Cody

I've never liked the idea of equipment, especially since it is all randomized statistically. I haven't really done more than look at it once when I went into the customization options.

I haven't spent much time with any of the customization options.

Question: can you use custom moves online but not equipment, or are both turned off?

ffdgh

I like equipment. It entertaining screwing around with increased attack and speed with most of the cast.

Hatchtag

Banned

I don't think its random statistically. Every crit hit attack badge is +7 -40, plus there's a reward for getting all equipment. So I don't think its actually random.

I don't think its random statistically. Every crit hit attack badge is +7 -40, plus there's a reward for getting all equipment. So I don't think its actually random.
It is partially random I think because I have seen two badges have different stats. However, I think you are right in that some stat is always + and another is -. The values are a range though and randomly picked ... I think.

DaBoss

Just did 9.0 Intensity Classic with Jigglypuff with no equipment:
cKCKSXX.jpg

I died at the first form of Master Core cause I was an idiot and tried rest on Master Hand which caused me to get a lot of damage from Crazy Hand's hand drill attack straight into a grab by Master Hand. After I defeated the first form, I took basically no damage from the beast form, and the only attack that connected in the sword form was the multi-hit one, but the final slash didn't connect. Got a lot of custom moves for a bunch of characters in that run as well. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't spent much time with any of the customization options.

Question: can you use custom moves online but not equipment, or are both turned off?

In With Anyone matches both are off. When playing with friends it's all or nothing, you can't just enable one and not the other.

It is partially random I think because I have seen two badges have different stats. However, I think you are right in that some stat is always + and another is -. The values are a range though and randomly picked ... I think.

This was the impression I got while looking through them. So an item may have a +attack range of 25-30 and a -defense range of 18-23. The specific item you get could fall anywhere in that, so you might get a +30 attack, -18 defense item that is objectively better than someone else' +25 attack, -20 defense version of the same thing.

Son Of D

I tried Intensity 9.0 with Toon Link actually. Lost my first life early when Crazy Hand grabbed me and buried me during Master's card attack. Then I made it to the doppelganger form of Core but died.

So annoying... :(

Masked Man

I said wow
For any Ness mains or potential Ness mains who missed my little review of him in Smash 4
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133132463&postcount=16060

That being said, anyone up for some matches?

0301-9856-6792

Great analysis--thanks! :D I've been messing around with Ness a lot (seeing as my beloved Lucas is gone), and I've found his DSmash has excellent low horizontal knockback on the backswing. It's also a multihit shot, so you're guaranteed to rack up damage, and it's helpful for catching opponents by surprise. I'm still learning Ness, but I can see the move having great utility!

I there's just me and one other person on here, but yeah I guess so.
I still like her and I can make her default moveset work so I'll keep her as my main.

Yeah, I love Palutena and I'll main her to the ends of the earth, but the normal moves are frustratingly slow and punishable.

Just noticed there are writings on the floor of the N's castle stage. Kind of looks like kanji, but it's so messy and scribble-y I can't tell.

Not kanji, but nice find! Not sure what that is... Probably some made-up Pokélanguage. ;)

People seem to be enjoying the Miis.

Oh my god, these are all brilliant.
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom