• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

While I enjoy For Glory on the 3DS, I do hope the Wii U is better when it comes to input lag. So many times I can't get a punish due to input lag.

Awesome title!

Also, I'm surprised my win percentage is 56% in For Glory. I thought wins for me would be few and far between, lol.

I started winning when I switched from villager back to my old main, Yoshi.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really have no idea why Charizard's recovery is so terrible in this game. Losing the glide hurt him more than any other characters.

Coupled with Rock Smash stopping your momentum now so it's not a good approach anymore and the slower dtilt, I'm not feeling him at all in this game. I liked him more in Brawl, PT mechanics and all. :/

And people called me an idiot for being pro bike all these years.

Durden77

I like equipment for giving at least a touch of personalization to otherwise relatively uniform Mii Fighters but that's about it.

About the only time I have any interest with it is for Mii's as well, and still not very much.

This was the impression I got while looking through them. So an item may have a +attack range of 25-30 and a -defense range of 18-23. The specific item you get could fall anywhere in that, so you might get a +30 attack, -18 defense item that is objectively better than someone else' +25 attack, -20 defense version of the same thing.

This is another thing I don't like about the system. There's certain equipment that's just better than others or at least more flexible, but along with the fact there's so much of it with so many small differences and so many characters, comparing stats and trying to find the best equipment setup for a particular character is just annoying and unsatisfying. Many times I felt like my equipment made that character worse, or at least different in a way I don't like. And the all the different effects or whatever don't help at all with this.

Azure J

I disagree. Marth with a side smash sweet spot can KO well below 90% even against heavy characters (tried one to Dedede). And his Shield Break when sweet spotted can easily destroy shields even without charging. Lucina is simply the easier to use while Marth is more technical.

Marth/Lucina in Smash 4 is really starting to sound like Fox/Falco in Melee in terms of what people think of the two. (Minus the game altering dominance of the latter clone duo.)

So I finally have my first big complaints about the game after almost a week of loving everything...

I'm having a hard time doing a dash-A move. It keeps wanting to do a Forward Smash. On that same hand, half the time when I try to do a Forward Smash, it's just a forward-A move.

Ricky 7

Charizard is just a worse version of Bowser in this game. What's the point of having 3 jumps if they don't go as far as other characters double jumps? Why does his Flare Blitz still do self damage if he doesn't hit anything? Why is his Up throw so useless? They clearly didn't put a lot of thought into this character.

emb

So I finally have my first big complaints about the game after almost a week of loving everything...

I'm having a hard time doing a dash-A move. It keeps wanting to do a Forward Smash. On that same hand, half the time when I try to do a Forward Smash, it's just a forward-A move.
It's all about timing. For the dash attack, wait until you see your character start to run. For Smash attacks, make sure you're hitting A as the circle pad is reaching the edge of the gate (or maybe slightly before).

Charizard is just a worse version of Bowser in this game. What's the point of having 3 jumps if they don't go as far as other characters double jumps? Why does his Flare Blitz still do self damage if he doesn't hit anything? Why is his Up throw so useless? They clearly didn't put a lot of thought into this character.
Charizard has the better flamethrower, especially when you consider customs. I think they are good at different things.

DarkKyo

I had about 5-6 consecutive matches(and losses) last night against some guy who would only pick Toon Link and would only spam all projectiles in rapid succession over and over and over and over again and I found myself getting as heated and angry as I did against my really proficient friends back in the days of melee. It was painful and awesome in a way.. though I have to say, the Toon Link player lacked creativity and and his fighting style was as broken as it was boring. As soon as I found a character that let me close the gap and overwhelm him he quickly bailed so he wouldn't lose. What a douche.

kimtish

Neo Member
Hey smashgaf,
How do I dedede? He's such a unique character I can't really figure out how to use him.

His grab is HUGE and he hits like a truck but he controls so unlike other characters, even other heavy characters.

Tips for DeDeDe?

Veal

Palutayna 4 lyfe dogs. The characters in this game are so interesting from a fighting stand point! While I've long considered smash a true fighting game, this one in particular feels more in line with more traditional fighting than the rest of the series. To me it feels like the ground game has gotten beefed up significantly. May not be accurate, but that's how it feels to me.

Tom_Cody

In With Anyone matches both are off. When playing with friends it's all or nothing, you can't just enable one and not the other.
Hurm. Ok.

I've been working with Palutena for the last few days and that character has a lot of unique custom moves. It's a shame that I won't be able to use them in most circumstances.

Dr. Buni

My first big complaint is the amount of Kid Icarus content. I didn't complain about Dark Pit, but half of the trophies are from Kid Icarus, there are like 20 Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run, etc.

Seriously, the bias is strong (and annoying).

My first big complaint is the amount of Kid Icarus content. I didn't complain about Dark Pit, but half of the trophies are from Kid Icarus, there are like 20 Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run, etc.

I think Uprising engine was probably an offshoot of Brawl's engine, so porting the enemies was a lot easier than the other enemies which required new animation rigs or whatever.

random25

I wanna join the screenshot party. Kinda lame but...here is my contribution! And I'm calling it The Adventures of Shulk.

1yGDmCa.jpg

Shulk: Hey Fiora, what are you doing here? Wanna join me swim?
Fiora: Yes Shulk...<blushing>...and also...

4PInkhe.jpg

Fiora: I brought you some sandwich! I made them for you!
Shulk: Wow Fiora! Thanks! Eating it now...

X9oe8Mi.jpg

Shulk: It tastes good!
Fiora: Really? You're not just making that up, are you?
Shulk: Yeah it is! But...I want some curry right now, not sandwich.
Fiora: Oh...Don't eat it if you don't like it! Hmmmmp!

p29G04g.jpg

Falco: Hands off my bread!
Fiora: Hey! This is not yours! I made these!
Shulk: And it's not just bread...it's a sandwich.
Falco: Uh...wrong game. Sorry :p
Shulk: Let's just go back Fiora.
Fiora: Okay...I guess.
Falco: Hey...uh...can I have some sandwich?

emb

It is a little annoying (mainly just the proportion of Smash Run enemies for me). Apparently it's because Kid Icarus was already a 3DS game, so it was easier to import things. I don't remember where I read that though, I could be wrong.

I felt the same about Fire Emblem...

Dr. Buni

It is a little annoying (mainly just the proportion of Smash Run enemies for me). Apparently it's because Kid Icarus was already a 3DS game, so it was easier to import things. I don't remember where I read that though, I could be wrong.
Well, Pokémon XY, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Fire Emblem Awakening are all 3DS games too. Maybe the fact Uprising was made by the same team (sorta) made it easier to import things.
I felt the same about Fire Emblem...
FE has zero enemies in Smash Run (right?) and very few trophies (that I found, at least). I do think four reps is a bit too much, but whatever.

While I enjoy For Glory on the 3DS, I do hope the Wii U is better when it comes to input lag. So many times I can't get a punish due to input lag.

I dont think there will ever be lagless online play man.

Its just not technically feasible unless the client itself is so efficient with data that it hardly requires a fast connection

Even then there are mountains of factors that can affect performance that are completely out of anyones control.

Anyone do the 50 KOs against rival in rival smash? What's the easiest way to do this?

I had a lot of luck using Sheik. Just dash attack back and forth and throw in a few f-airs, n-airs, and grenades when appropriate. Make sure to hit your rival whenever you have a chance.

Azure J

Franchise over representation isn't a problem in an of itself. It's working to a balance for all franchises in game where it makes sense that's key. At least IMO. I like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus so I like how they've broken the whole "only A listers get this much stuff" idea people got so enamored with. At the same time, Donkey Kong, Wario and Yoshi series all got snubbed.

Well, Pokémon XY, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Fire Emblem Awakening are all 3DS games too. Maybe the fact Uprising was made by the same team (sorta) made it easier to import things.

FE has zero enemies in Smash Run (right?) and very few trophies (that I found, at least). I do think four reps is a bit too much, but whatever.

Maybe I've just found a lot at once, but I've seen a ton of FE trophies, music items, and they have a lot of characters.
However, I'm biased because I don't like the FE games. I'm sure the Fire Emblem fans are eating it up.

Anyone do the 50 KOs against rival in rival smash? What's the easiest way to do this?

I did it with Yoshi (as well as the 110 kills in 3-minute smash and 100-man-smash in less than 3 minutes). Just jump high, Down+B over and over, as well as dash-A and Up-Smash moves. Yoshi makes it pretty easy, particularly since not much interrupts his second jump.

I wanna join the screenshot party. Kinda lame but...here is my contribution! And I'm calling it The Adventures of Shulk.

1yGDmCa.jpg

Shulk: Hey Fiora, what are you doing here? Wanna join me swim?
Fiora: Yes Shulk...<blushing>...and also...

4PInkhe.jpg

Fiora: I brought you some sandwich! I made them for you!
Shulk: Wow Fiora! Thanks! Eating it now...

X9oe8Mi.jpg

Shulk: It tastes good!
Fiora: Really? You're not just making that up, are you?
Shulk: Yeah it is! But...I want some curry right now, not sandwich.
Fiora: Oh...Don't eat it if you don't like it! Hmmmmp!

p29G04g.jpg

Falco: Hands off my bread!
Fiora: Hey! This is not yours! I made these!
Shulk: And it's not just bread...it's a sandwich.
Falco: Uh...wrong game. Sorry :p
Shulk: Let's just go back Fiora.
Fiora: Okay...I guess.
Falco: Hey...uh...can I have some sandwich?

Did you write some of the Persona 4 social interactions ?

kimtish

Neo Member
Marth, Ike and Lyn aside all the Fire Emblem trophies are Awakening ones. :p

Awakening was a psuedo-reboot of the franchise (at least in the west)

Was a huge hit for Ninten. I LOVE Sacred Stones and the older games, but Awakening was probably the most compelling game in the series in terms of gameplay.

I wish they would do a Seisen no Keifu remake with Awakening mechanics.

Dr. Buni

Maybe I've just found a lot at once, but I've seen a ton of FE trophies, music items, and they have a lot of characters.
However, I'm biased because I don't like the FE games. I'm sure the Fire Emblem fans are eating it up.
And I am not a KI fan, though I did enjoy Uprising (it is a 7/10 game imo). Anyways, I guess the same can be said about Kid Icarus fans. They must be happy with all the KI content in Smash.

I just wish there was more DK content in the game. Like at least one AT and one more playable rep.

Pokemon has a lot of Smash Run enemies. Star Fox and Fire Emblem don't because who would you use for it?

Top Bottom